Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
    I DON'T want it to happen every time some attractive male comes onto the show.
    Instead of As the Stargate Turns we would have GateBoat. Where's our cruise director???

I have to agree, I would HATE that. I believe it would be contrary to her character, anyway.

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
    Though Orlin had a crush on her, and she WAS beginning to like him (perhaps as a friend?), I don't see how it could have survived very long. And I agree with WhatFate: Only the possibility was there. Thank Anubis - er, God.
    Yeah, considering he didn't survive very long.

I cried at the end, though, I think they would have been cute together. It might have been an intellectually satisfying relationship for her, emotionally satisfying with all that sharing of essence going on. Orlin is so patient with her and what I like about him is that he NEVER let her reactions control HIS. He never lorded himself over her, as so many men (or even manly women) do. But I guess it couldn't have lasted....what with the Pentagon listening in, barging down the door. Kinda puts a kabosh on the whole thing. .

Still, that emerald was big 'n honkin'....
    If you immediately know the ep stinks, the writers were cooked a long time ago

Member of Gategrrlz Gone Wild
    proud Shore Leave 28 Attendee
    Naughty Shore Leave 29 Attendee (sorry all but thanks for the rescue. many many thanks)

Carmen Argenziano Appreciation

Comment

Originally posted by WhatFateAlmondRoca
      Seriously, thanks for posting the survey, I'm going to put in my .000002. Personally, I'd love quality sterling silver Stargate jewelry. A doll would be nice but my kid would just take it and thrash on it....
      i have a necklace that a friend of mine made. years ago (eek) i found out that she did metal work so asked her to make me teh point of origin. she did (it's cool, an inch long and wide and an ounce of silver witha red stone in the circle part)

anyway, when i asked her how much she said 'i've enjoyed your stories so much, you can have it'

i was totally stunned. first time i've ever been paid for writing anything.

haven't taken it off since

you know as to that survey thingie i posted up a bit, why not tell them you'd love some sterling jewelry? i'm sure a line of that would sell like crazy.

like maybe the points of origin or something
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
        i have a necklace that a friend of mine made. years ago (eek) i found out that she did metal work so asked her to make me teh point of origin. she did (it's cool, an inch long and wide and an ounce of silver witha red stone in the circle part)
        How about posting a pic?
        gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
        so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
        love Torri

Comment

Hey y'all I just saw Babylon. Amanda didn't had a lot to say, but those few weeks of pregnancy leave didn't do anything wrong to Amanda's acting abilities! In the Episoe Beachhead and now Babylon, it were certain phrase she pronounced, that reminded me of Sam in another older episode, where in she tried to explain something, or to tell a plan. Ya are imeadiatly intrested if you hear those few phrases. And yes, it's true, Amanda can say a lot, with her eyes (e.g. in the episode Babylon, where Gen Landry said if they didn't find a solution soon, he'd report Mitchell as MIA.) (about Amanda in Babylon)You can say anything about women after giing birth and their body and weight, but Amanda has got such nice buttocks (I translated the original word and found that words, translated it 3 times, so sorry if I insult anybody but I do mean the part of your legs under your hips and above your knees) and a nice behind.. She's also got nice lips. Hey sorry, I'm a man (yep, I start to drool again). And despite of what you all may think, no, I see her a a human being not as an objet of some kind, even my few phrases look that way. I ust mean it as a compliment that she's a nice, sweet, goodlookin', sexy, great mommy, very good wife, great fan respecter , funny, patient, happy, briljant, a great great great actress, Big. HUGE! And a great example for our joung kids and teens, on the matter of life and way of living. e.g. certain celebrities way of life worries me (personal opnion) (like they think they can handle certain things cause of this or that explenation they give. Or how they do certian things . Not every kid is old enough to understand those things or sayings .(hey I'm only 18 since 2-3 months so I'm not as wise as some of us are (of life expierence and other things). I think Amanda is a great example for every one, not only teens and young kids. I'm trying to let you understand what I mean, the difficult part is, I an give the explenation in English, not alone in Dutch, but also by sayin' certain celebrities not to insult those celebrities. If you still don't understand, plz send me a PM with title, what you mean where I try to explain it, with the names of "certain celebrities who I think don't are good examples cause of that and that reason). And I ask your forgiveness before hand, incase you see my examples as an insult in those maybe-to-send PM's.

Hope my mind gives better explenations next time, or that I can explain it in PM's.

Greetings, Daivy

Thank you Ambermoon for the sigs!

Comment

Originally posted by WhatFateAlmondRoca
            I cried at the end, though, I think they would have been cute together. It might have been an intellectually satisfying relationship for her, emotionally satisfying with all that sharing of essence going on. Orlin is so patient with her and what I like about him is that he NEVER let her reactions control HIS. He never lorded himself over her, as so many men (or even manly women) do.
            That is a really good point! I never thought of that before, but you're right that he would have been really good for her. I guess the only thing he probably lacked was an edge. What Jack lacks in patience, what Pete lacks in intellect, and what Barrett/McKay may lack in emotional satisfaction, I think they all somewhat have made it up with a sort of edge. Orlin was almost TOO placating. He's loyal and selfless to a T, but he didn't have that "lunatic fringe" thing going on...

But I guess it couldn't have lasted....what with the Pentagon listening in, barging down the door. Kinda puts a kabosh on the whole thing. .
            Heh heh. Pesky, nosy Pentagon, not trusting their foremost expert on the Stargate. It totally kills the mood, I tell ya.

Still, that emerald was big 'n honkin'....
            Imagine what he could do for a ring?

*moves to catch Sally before she faints*

But now that he's in 13-year-old boy form, there is absolutely NOOOO way I'm gonna buy it now. Yech.

Comment

Allright, you've all managed to bring the discussion around to one of my most hated elements in all of Stargate--Orlin. It has always bothered me. Bad idea, poorly executed. He was the precursor to Pete in every way. In fact, would someone mind explaining to me why Orlin gets a free pass on his behavior with regards to Sam while Pete is destined to be forever lambasted? In fact, Orlin's stalkerish, heinously selfish, borderline rapist actions seem to have endeared him to many, many fans. This boggles my mind. Is it because he's an alien? Is it because SPF played him to be so terribly meek and unassuming? Please, enlighten me. I mean, I get it. Orlin's been alone on the planet for hundreds of years. Sam is the first woman he's seen in that time. He's attracted to her. Hell, who isn't. I understand him needing to get some after all that time (if that's what Ancients do). But at what point does this become something other than an assault, something to be praised?

Of course, if I'm being completely honest, all of Ascension is troublesome for the characters. It is an absolutely fantastic episode for Amanda Tapping. She commanded the screen so powerfully and completely that it IS actually conceivable
              Spoiler:
              that Orlin can be recast later as a child. That's how pathetic Flannery came across when acting with her. Childlike.
              But all of the other characters, from Hammond to O'neill to especially Sam herself are completely "off" in this one. There's no way Hammond doesn't let Sam study the planet's advanced technology, especially in favor of the newly transferred Col. Reynolds, who we've only met once before in a small, insignificant scene in Touchstone. There's no way that O'neill doesn't listen to Carter when she says that she's being stalked and harassed (and blackmailed into sharing Orlin's essence) by an alien. There is certainly no way everyone believes that Sam Carter, member of SG-1, person who built the dialing computer, who helped get the SGC up and running, who's been off world countless times, who's been implanted with a Tok'Ra, recently had her body taken over by an alien entity, and had her memories stamped and altered (oh wait, they do mention that in fact, don't they) is dismissed as "crazy". Sorry that's a suspension of disbelief of which I'm not capable.

And, saddest of all, Sam is completely out of character in Ascension. Despite the crazy, nutty happenstance that everyone she knows is treating her differently, there is no way that Sam Carter stops trying to convince others that she's being stalked by an alien. There's no way Sam Carter finds Orlin endearing, cute, or harmless. This is the woman who in Foothold broke out of the SGC, got herself to DC, and contacted Harry Mayborne of all people for help the last time she was seeing aliens that no one else was. I don't get it. Because he looks human and the foothold aliens looked, well, alien, he's trustworthy? Sorry, it's outlandish. I'm telling you, she doesn't like him , she doesn't share her home with him, she doesn't pick him over her friends, and she doesn't acquiesce to his ultimatiums. And after everything is said and done, she certainly doesn't trust him. Well, at least the Sam Carter I keep watching doesn't.

That's my view. Do your worst.

Comment

Originally posted by golfbooy
                Allright, you've all managed to bring the discussion around to one of my most hated elements in all of Stargate--Orlin.

Of course, if I'm being completely honest, all of Ascension is troublesome for the characters. It is an absolutely fantastic episode for Amanda Tapping. She commanded the screen so powerfully and completely that it IS actually conceivable
                Spoiler:
                that Orlin can be recast later as a child. That's how pathetic Flannery came across when acting with her. Childlike.
                But all of the other characters, from Hammond to O'neill to especially Sam herself are completely "off" in this one. There's no way Hammond doesn't let Sam study the planet's advanced technology, especially in favor of the newly transferred Col. Reynolds, who we've only met once before in a small, insignificant scene in Touchstone. There's no way that O'neill doesn't listen to Carter when she says that she's being stalked and harassed (and blackmailed into sharing Orlin's essence) by an alien. There is certainly no way everyone believes that Sam Carter, member of SG-1, person who built the dialing computer, who helped get the SGC up and running, who's been off world countless times, who's been implanted with a Tok'Ra, recently had her body taken over by an alien entity, and had her memories stamped and altered (oh wait, they do mention that in fact, don't they) is dismissed as "crazy". Sorry that's a suspension of disbelief of which I'm not capable.

And, saddest of all, Sam is completely out of character in Ascension. Despite the crazy, nutty happenstance that everyone she knows is treating her differently, there is no way that Sam Carter stops trying to convince others that she's being stalked by an alien. There's no way Sam Carter finds Orlin endearing, cute, or harmless. This is the woman who in Foothold broke out of the SGC, got herself to DC, and contacted Harry Mayborne of all people for help the last time she was seeing aliens that no one else was. I don't get it. Because he looks human and the foothold aliens looked, well, alien, he's trustworthy? Sorry, it's outlandish. I'm telling you, she doesn't like him , she doesn't share her home with him, she doesn't pick him over her friends, and she doesn't acquiesce to his ultimatiums. And after everything is said and done, she certainly doesn't trust him. Well, at least the Sam Carter I keep watching doesn't.

Very interesting points and well said. I agree with your first point more than your second, but I can see what you're saying. Certainly the first "sharing thing" was without her permission and in that sense an attack. In a way he blackmailed her into the 2nd one, but I think she was genuinely curious also. But the fact that Hammond and SG1 didn't believe her was the biggest stumbling block for me. After all they've seen, they think b/c she's a little tired she's gone crazy and is seeing things? Daniel most of all should have stood up for her--he should have been saying it was perfectly plausible for an alien to appear and disappear--after all they'd seen Nirti's cloaking tech by this time. SG1 could have set up surveillance to support Sam--maybe in violation of orders even.

Comment

Originally posted by golfbooy
                  Allright, you've all managed to bring the discussion around to one of my most hated elements in all of Stargate--Orlin. It has always bothered me. Bad idea, poorly executed. He was the precursor to Pete in every way. In fact, would someone mind explaining to me why Orlin gets a free pass on his behavior with regards to Sam while Pete is destined to be forever lambasted? In fact, Orlin's stalkerish, heinously selfish, borderline rapist actions seem to have endeared him to many, many fans. This boggles my mind. Is it because he's an alien? Is it because SPF played him to be so terribly meek and unassuming? Please, enlighten me. I mean, I get it. Orlin's been alone on the planet for hundreds of years. Sam is the first woman he's seen in that time. He's attracted to her. Hell, who isn't. I understand him needing to get some after all that time (if that's what Ancients do). But at what point does this become something other than an assault, something to be praised?

Spoiler:

I think the sharing the essence thing might have had an effect you aren't considering....us women rate emotional availablity pretty high, and if she could know his essence, and perhaps saw it as pure and good that would blow what you've written away.

The rest is for PM.
                  If you immediately know the ep stinks, the writers were cooked a long time ago

Member of Gategrrlz Gone Wild
                  proud Shore Leave 28 Attendee
                  Naughty Shore Leave 29 Attendee (sorry all but thanks for the rescue. many many thanks)

Carmen Argenziano Appreciation

Comment

Originally posted by deepspace
                    I was rewatching Moebius the other night, and I have to say I've liked it a lot better second time around. First viewing I thought it was all a little wacky, and that the acting was rather overdone. This time, I really got to appreciate Amanda's acting, and overall the story. I think I understood the whole thing a lot better, and could follow the separate storylines. And what happens??? I come on here and what Uberbrilliant Samandan has posted up Geeksam pics in mass quantity? Thanks Mary Beth, they're wonderful!
                    ÜBERBRILLIANT????

Wow...with compliments like that, my PIM levels are likely to skyrocket...

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
                      PIM levels
                      ???
                      gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
                      so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
                      love Torri

Comment

Originally Posted by WhatFateAlmondRoca:
                        I think the sharing the essence thing might have had an effect you aren't considering....us women rate emotional availablity pretty high, and if she could know his essence, and perhaps saw it as pure and good that would blow what you've written away.

The rest is for PM.
                        I'm sorry, so what you're saying is that if, and I stress IF, Orlin is pure of heart, and if he really, really likes her, and if Sam wants an emotionally available man, alien, whatever, then it's all OK? His behavior is all right so long as he's a really good person? I don't agree that because a person is good that it excuses any bad, wrong, or abusive action they take. There are many men who beat their wives but love them nonetheless. Does that excuse their violence?

And whether or not Sam did see Orlin as pure and good (whether he is or not) it still doesn't change what he's done. You seem to be justifying Orlin's actions with your own personal beliefs about women and what they're looking for in relationships. While that's OK, I'm trying to justify it from what I've seen established as Sam Carter's personal beliefs about what she wants from a relationship.

I'm telling you, if I found a woman attractive, followed her home, stayed in her house all night, and then jumped her in the morning by professing my undying love for her I would end up in jail. Period. That's not cute, it's criminal. And it's criminal whether he's an alien or not.

ETA: I'm a bit unclear by what you mean by "emotional availability". What does that mean? That because Orlin is ready to be in love with Sam, then she's automatically inclined to love him back? Sorry, I just don't understand what you're getting at.

Comment

Originally posted by Qasim
                          ???
                          That would be "Pain in the Mik'ta" levels for those who are unlearned or aren't as Überbrilliant as I am...

*cough*

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

So then guys - what are your favourite Sam music vids?
                            love Torri

Comment

i do see where you're coming from goolf re ascension

folks were acting off. dismissng sam as nuts instead of believing her (although they did the same with daniel in legacy. you woulda thought that woulda taught them something)

shutting her down, shutting her out. in one way it was like 'she's a woman, sh'es weak and nuts'

as to her trusting orlin, well i do think part of that was brought on by their exclusion of her. her friends basically told her to go play in the corner and she's there, fully aware that they're wrong and she's right and i think she had the feeling of 'well screw them, i'll find out all i can and i'll show them'

orlin did stalk her. but i think, after seeing him vanish, that she realized 'well, he coulda killed me long ago so he must not be all that bad'

and i do think that she hung with orlin simply because her friends shut her down and shut her out. they 'forced' her to hang with orlin because she had nothign else to do.

here she was, off or on restricted duty, and there's an alien inher house. i for one wouldn't just want to go off and take a little vacation knowing that someone was in my house. i'd want to stay there and keep an eye on them

what i would have liked to have seen, however, was them apologizing to her, or some payback like we got at the end of Shades of Grey

now jack did redeem himself a bit when he lied to stand up for her in the end, but the others were jsut...well too dismissive and yes, that was off

so much for loyalty
                              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Über, I like your video, and, if it wasn't thanx to your website which, I'm sure gonna get flooded with visitors, I'd still think you were male, I'm sorry plz don't ZAT, Shoot, kill me!

I like Stargate Music Videos in General.

Thank you Ambermoon for the sigs!

Comment

Working...
                                X