Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
    If she HASN'T officially told people, what an immature way to get their point across, eh?
    Immature! That was the word I was searching for to describe that blog entry - perhaps Cooper and the gang are more touchy and quick to react even more immaturely about this situation because they have read way more into the comments made about crusade than is actually there because, if you look closely, even people who like Vala, and some who are die-hard Vala fans, are questioning the storyline and being critical of the direction. Cooper and his band of merry men may see that their little twist is backfiring even with many of the Vala fans and they are stressing about it.

I have not really looked closely at this but in reading the crusade thread it seems to me that there are far more negative comments than positive. I have to wonder if TPTB question why, in the past few seasons the complaint throttle has gone up dramatically, they know it and I think that their little rants may be because they ARE feeling the pressure. I also think that they were expecting very big ratings numbers with BB and CB and they did not get the numbers they expected - they got pretty much the same numbers they always get (granted the number of households has increased so the percentages reflect slightly elevated numbers but with all of the PR spent on BB and CB, to the almost total exclusion of the other 3 main stars of the show, I have to think they are disappointed in what they got, especially for the season premiere. I'm not saying it is enough to tank S10 but it certainly will affect their budget, etc., if they do get a S10.

Comment

See...the thing that THAT person isn't getting is that even if Sam left willingly to go to Area 51...and Cam's given charge of SG-1 (albeit he's the only member of the team at the time)...AND Sam wishes him well in commanding his new team...NONE OF THAT IS RELEVANT ANYMORE.

Why you ask?

BECAUSE EVERYTHING'S CHANGED.

Sam left when there was no longer a threat. Sam wished a friend well who was going to develop a brand new team to explore the galaxy as a brand new SG-1.

But it didn't go that way now did it?

Cameron never made his new team...it was SG-ME all the way through the patch scene in EDM.

Then all the sudden, there's a new, even more serious threat than the Goa'uld.

So the reasons for Sam not being there are made irrelevant by the fact that she's needed on the front lines. And where else? On the flagship team, of course. Why? Because she's had 8 years of gate experience...she's been groomed for the position as lead of SG-1 by O'Neill himself...and she's emminently qualified to lead SG-1 as opposed to Cam who's emminently qualified to lead a squad of F302's, but NOT SG-1.

The REASON Sam wasn't in command from the beginning of the season on is because of the real life issues of our beloved queen...add to that the fact that Sam was no longer needed there at the front because her team defeated everyone in the previous season (heck if only they had known she'd take out the Replicators and the Goa'uld, she would have been promoted AGES ago).

But now that's changed and Sam's back BECAUSE she's needed there. In this dire hour, they need the best and brightest and most qualified to lead SG-1...and that is SAMANTHA CARTER, not some greenhorn who, up until 2 months ago, never saw a stargate.

Sheesh.

Mary Beth>>>>>Head>>>>>BRICK WALL

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

ÜberSG-1Fan - you have been on fire today! I hope you have a fire extinguisher nearby! Seriously, i cant rep you but your on fire with your posts and attitude, Your like Snarky Sam! Way to Go!

I tried my hand at defending sam on that thread but you, Bink ForeverSG1 and the rest are doing so well you dont need me.

I love the Demotivators by the way, great stuff.

I saw Babylon and Conversion, i liked both, thought they were good if nothing special.

I like Mitchell and i think Browder is doing a great job with the little he has been given. But Sam definately showed she should be in command at the start of that Episode. Its funny that we are seeing sam command and show she deserves the command more now than in season 8 when she was in charge! Hows that for irony!

Keep up the good work guys, bye bye

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan

But now that's changed and Sam's back BECAUSE she's needed there. In this dire hour, they need the best and brightest and most qualified to lead SG-1...and that is SAMANTHA CARTER, not some greenhorn who, up until 2 months ago, never saw a stargate.

Sheesh.

Mary Beth>>>>>Head>>>>>BRICK WALL

i'll say here what i said on the other thread(s) - WHY isn't sam leading sg1 (she's more qualified), and WHY isn't she bothered that she isn't?

and why hasn't amanda mentioned this in interviews? i remember her being excited about leading sg1. now... what does she know that we don't? is there some explanation coming up?

hands down, i want respect shown for sam carter. give her the boyfriend, but don't take away her spine. give her command, but don't take it away without showing the whys and wherefores.

respect sam carter.

sally
          sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by deepspace
            I'm just dropping by to tell people who I care about in this thread that I might not be around for a while. I've been recieving some not at all nice PM's from people outside of Samanda, even though I haven't posted anywhere but this thread for months. I'll log in here ocasionally but I think it's unlikely I'll post again until I figure out what I'm saying wrong to offend non Samandans.

Keep up the wonderful discussion, and good luck to those of you who are defending Sam in the basher threads. You're all brilliant.

Love you all.

((((((((deepspace)))))))
            You're not posting anything wrong. You're one of the kindiest persons of this thread. Like Sky said, put those people on ignore list. Or report them to Darren.
            Please deepspace, don't go ! Samanda needs you ! Please Royal Page !
            Kingdom of Samanda : Hic Comitas Regit

Comment

OMG. I accidently clicked on the Sam/Jack thread instead of this one

Im scarred for life now

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark

Im scarred for life now
                Like I was scarred earlier from that freaky "edit Sam out of all the pictures" website...

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Im scarred for life now
                  HA! we've got you now!

*once you come in, you can never go out*

sally
                  sally

sigpic

Comment

Like I was scarred earlier from that freaky "edit Sam out of all the pictures" website...

sally
                    sally

sigpic

Comment

Im scarred for life now
                      Aaaah ! Poor Aussie !
                      ((((((AD)))))
                      Do I need to give you my survivor kit for the Sam/Jack thread ?

Comment

This exists !!!!

I'm going to have nightmares now !

Comment

OK gang I'm gonna go out on a limb here, and hopefully not make myself too unpopular.

I love Stargate. All Stargate. OK occassionally I see an episode and cringe, and there are a few episodes I don't choose to watch again, but on the whole, for me, it's a great show.

In that sense, Sam Carter and Amanda Tapping are the icing on the cake, because she is such a great character and a real inspiration to people like me who are scientists that it's possible to be smart AND sexy AND get the hot guy (although I'm yet to meet my Jack, Sam has convinced me that it's actually possible ).

anyways I digress.

Fact is, while I think a little healthy criticism of anything is ok, personally I think beating up on TPTB is ultimately quite silly. The show has been going for nine seasons, I think season seven and eight were awesome, and what I have seen of season nine so far has been great. Obviously they're doing something right.

Fact is, TPTB have to try and balance many different "groups" and produce a television series that people love. And while I personally wish we'd see some s/j ship, I do think that they've handled it well so that every "group" can take something from it, without alienating a significant portion of their fan base.

And I like Vala. She's fun. But that's my personal opinion. I'd imagine if she did become a series regular they'd tone her down a little, the same way they did with McKay on Atlantis. And if she did become a regular would that be a terrible thing? We know AT has joked about being on SG-1 in season 15 with a walker, so maybe she's keen. But if she's not, and she chooses to cut her commitment, well that would be her decision to make. I'm certain that TPTB would NEVER want to remove a character who has been so integral to the show for so long.

And seriously? Would two female leads really be a bad thing?

Similarly with the leadership issues. Yes it makes more sense to have Sam in charge. I agree. But remember, this is a TV show, and TV shows generally require male leads. I don't like it, but it reflects society and ratings I think more so than TPTB not valueing Sam Carter as a character. If they didn't value her, she wouldn't be such an awesome character. AT is a great lady, but in the end, most of the words coming out of SC's mouth are written by TPTB.

OK,OK I'm with you guys in that this pregnancy thing is a bit fishy. But all I really want to say is instead of bristling, why don't we wait and see how it pans out. Stargate SG-1 is yet to disappoint me, and it's still the same writing team that brought us such awesome episodes as Lost City 1 and 2, Reckoning 1 and 2, Mobius 1 and 2, WoO, D&C etc. etc. etc.

Let's not panic.

(Sorry I know I'm a newbie I just read the last few pages and wanted to have my say. This seems a fairly happy place.

Also apologies for getting carried away).

Comment

crazedturkey, I want to rep you for being so brave. I'll see if it'll let me after I make this post. I hope others do too, because I've seen the kind of "stuff" that people who live here in Samanda are made of, and I know that everyone I've read so far around here would respect your courage and the fact that you felt you could stand up and speak your mind on this forum. Even if some disagree with a portion of what you have to say. As I do.

I do agree, fans sometimes go a little (?!) over the top when either "criticizing" or "adoring" the so-called powers that be. But hey, that's what discussion forums like this are set-up for, and that's the nature of fans. So I suppose it's all par for the course.

Your comments about bringing everything into perspective are well taken.

However:
                            Originally posted by crazedturkey
                            remember, this is a TV show, and TV shows generally require male leads. I don't like it, but it reflects society and ratings I think more so than TPTB not valueing Sam Carter as a character. If they didn't value her, she wouldn't be such an awesome character.
                            This is a very interesting and very controversial point. You'll see a lot of industry folk arguing about the idea of where Television (as a commodity) is headed these days, and what it boils down to is who the viewers have become.

An interesting thing you said is 'I don't like it, but it reflects society'.. Therein lies the trap. If you don't like it, what makes you think 'society' does? You're a part of that group.

Television as an artform used to fall well beneath the elevation of Film, for the very reason that it tended to (necessarily) pander to the so-called "lowest common denominator" aka "society" aka "the great unwashed", etcetera, etcetera.

But WHO is that?

Over the course of the last few years most especially, that "society" has begun to change in a fairly substantial way. The INTERNET is largely responsible for this change. Because it's a change that reflects a growing awareness and a growing popular (intelligence - for lack of a better word) among the larger viewer demographics. Put simply, viewers are smarter than ever before. They're savvier than ever before. They're more informed than ever before. And they're not buying the cliches as readily as they ever had before.

Formulaic television used to be mathematically guaranteed success in certain markets. But all of a sudden, formulaic television has begun failing - miserably - in ratings markets where it used to thrive. All this - a result of what I think can be called "The Google Generation".

On the other hand, formerly odd, formerly 'cult-type' television shows that (not so ironically) include a great deal more in the science fiction and science-fact genres, are garnering huge followings.

Twenty-some years ago, a series like "The West Wing" would have tanked in the ratings. As would a series like "House" or "Buffy:TVS". Because it's the writing on those shows that made them (smart, edgy, different). Viewers responded to those series - en mass - in a way that defied the old formula.

The old formula had to change. And it has begun to.

Originally posted by crazedturkey
                            TV shows generally require male leads. I don't like it ...
                            That used to be true. But see "Commander and Chief" - airing this fall.

Male vs. Female stereotypes still exist (quite obviously) but the market for television is becoming more global than national. And global markets have - diverse political views. Here in Canada for example, we've already had a female Prime Minister. As have our British cousins. In the USA - that hasn't happened yet.

Look at Stargate. US Dollars. Shot in Canada. I'd say approximately 75% of its fanbase is non-US. Long live the Internet.

What you're saying about television and "male" leads is born of the very thing that's been holding shows like "Commander and Chief" on the backburner for six years before seeing the light of a Network day. But it's not to do with actual viewer response. It's to do with old, corporate standards. The Networks have had to 'grow up' enough in their own right to realize that the viewers the depend on can not only handle new and innovative storylines: they demand them.

Look at this forum (just as an example). Thousands of folks share points of view here, everyone watchs Stargate, and despite the arguing we see going on about who should lead, who shouldn't lead, if we divided the people up between those who actually do have an "anti-feminine" point of view and those who are liberal-minded, I don't think there'd be more than a single handful if that (among the thousands here) who truly are misogynists. The majority are simply folks who like one character or another. Or who live to argue.

That is what Television as an industry is slowly beginning to realize; that the the bar is still too low. The great and wonderful thing about the influence of the Internet over that realization, is that FANS are now far more able than ever before to be instrumental in the education process. Producers and Network executives read message boards (like this one) and see the changes live; as they occur. That translates into new and more innovative forms of Television for viewers (like us).

Have you noticed how many "movie-only" actors have begun crossing into the Television realm of late? Even if we take the Stargate cast and set them aside (Beau Bridges, Lou Gossett Jr.) we've got others like - Gina Davis, Martin Sheen, Charlie Sheen, Chris Rock, Melanie Griffith, Glen Close. Why do you think that is? And if anyone says it's because they can't do movies any more - I'll bite you. Ha.

My point is that where Television is concerned, "the old gray mare, she ain't what she used to be.".

Nope. Not at all, anymore.

M.G.

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
                            ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

society is changing. unfortunatly, we have a very small group of people dictating what a huge, massive amount of people get to see.

theoretically, we, the viewers, are at the mercy of one guy, the dude/dudette at scifi who signs off on the scripts and tells writers 'this is what you're going to do' or 'our research shows that X will be successful, so find a way to incorporate X into your show'

and the people that make the show are pretty much stuck. they can be like JMS and go tell the network to stuff itself....the price for that is that they're pretty much piddling in their own sandbox if they do that. so the show makers HAVE to at least try what the networks tell them to do, even if they know it'll tank.

sometimes the networks are right, sometimes they're wrong. but without feedback from places like this, the show folk really don't hve much ammunition to take up to the guy that signs the checks and say 'see, i told you. look at this. 89% of the folks here hate your idea'

the only way that the dudes at teh network can know if thier decree is well received or not is for us to tell them
                              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by deepspace
                                I'm just dropping by to tell people who I care about in this thread that I might not be around for a while. I've been recieving some not at all nice PM's from people outside of Samanda, even though I haven't posted anywhere but this thread for months. I'll log in here ocasionally but I think it's unlikely I'll post again until I figure out what I'm saying wrong to offend non Samandans.

Keep up the wonderful discussion, and good luck to those of you who are defending Sam in the basher threads. You're all brilliant.

Love you all.

Sorry but I had to come out of lurkdom for this. This is exactly the reason why I didn't join this site for so long and never post here....ok I'm posting now but this pisses me off! Why do fellow fans feel it is neccessary to diss on other characters or fans??? Just doesn't make sense to me. I have followed this thread since it started and all of you are wonderful and definitely don't deserve this treatment, not that anyone does! Please Deepspace don't let people like this discourage you from staying here. Isn't that what they want......hope Darren takes care of them! Me...well I'll stay on my home site where this type of behavior doesn't happen. It is sad that Gateworld is plagued with this....it is a great site and Samanda is the best thread!
                                Oh and hey to Nora, Mary Beth, Agent Dark, and Kat!

Cheers,

Jan
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X