No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seasons 1 to 6 we got lots of scientist/soldier Sam. From the brief glimpses into her off base life I saw her as quite shy, reserved, but with the possibility of a wicked sense of humour. By the end of season 6 Sam to me was probably a bit too perfect to be true, but she was a great role model.

Seasons 1 to 6 I see her as courageous compassionate, intelligent, with a kind heart and gentle soul. She is evidently competent in many fields of science. Capable at times of wanton manipulation – especially of Hammond – a slightly dark side of Sam. She showed very strong leadership abilities in many episodes when taking over situations at the base, calm, collected, direct and assuring. Her tenacity on many occasions led to her saving the day –and the world. She has a strong inner child and I loved to see her times with Jacob develop into a loving father/daughter relationship.

Come season 7 suddenly there was a change of emphasis. The emphasis was on the male interpretation of woman.
    More than a few people think that—for whatever reason—the character of Sam really changed after S6 and it wasn't for the better. Whatever she said to Pete and was going to say to Jack in Threads, she seemed to come to some sort of crossroads and has been acting with more of the old self-assurance and sense of direction since then. She seemed happy with all the experimentation & recon, etc., that she was doing at Area 51, not to mention getting to spend some quality time w/ her adopted daughter. TPTB need to give Sam a reason for being back at Cheyenne Mtn., because she seems to have evolved to a new stage in her life, one in which marching through the Stargate no longer holds the appeal it once did.

Thoughts ... ???

Jr. Member, Gateworld Curmudgeon Club

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
      Jester is now downing her third martini!!!!
      As the non-drinker here...methinks Jester better sloweth it downeth...or Jester's verbage will start to slur...

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by Carterslave
        More than a few people think that—for whatever reason—the character of Sam really changed after S6 and it wasn't for the better. Whatever she said to Pete and was going to say to Jack in Threads, she seemed to come to some sort of crossroads and has been acting with more of the old self-assurance and sense of direction since then. She seemed happy with all the experimentation & recon, etc., that she was doing at Area 51, not to mention getting to spend some quality time w/ her adopted daughter. TPTB need to give Sam a reason for being back at Cheyenne Mtn., because she seems to have evolved to a new stage in her life, one in which marching through the Stargate no longer holds the appeal it once did.

Thoughts ... ???
        I'll agree with most of it except the ending.

Sam's an explorer, a scientist and a soldier so going through the gate will always have an appeal.

That being said, the only reason they gave for her abrupt end at Area 51 was Cam's appeal regarding the Ori. I hope we see/learn more about her motivations here...

And I'm fairly certain you all know my position on the Sam/Command issue...even though I've been fairly subtle on the whole thing...

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
          Hey, I won't go into any gory details about my opinions on "Babylon". Suffice it to say I was rewriting it in my head while I was watching it. But the thought occured to me:

Spoiler:
          The Jaffa have always been equal-opportunity when it comes to the women among their ranks. How cool could the storyline have been if it had been Carter who was kidnapped, and not Mitchell? Change nothing else about the way he was taught to fight, the 'lessons' supposedly learned, etc etc. Don't you guys think it'd have been a wicked episode? I thought so. The whole concept was cliche and tired (done and done before), but if it was a woman in there ... that could have made the entire story a lot spicier. In my humble opinion, of course. I think Amanda might have done amazing work with an opportunity like that.

Ah, shoulda, coulda, woulda ...

M.G.
          Rofl, that was my exact same thought about 10 minutes into the episode. 'This would be cool if it was Carter instead'

Maybe someone can write a fic?
          /me looks at Sky and Chopin...

Comment

Originally posted by chocdoc
            Well, I know what you mean about Teryl Rothery, but it is a bit of a different situation. She was recurring and they really did think that season 7 was ending when they wrote Heroes.
            Save that the show got renewed & yet they still killed Fraiser. Grrrrr ...

Fanboards---well I don't see a majority by any stretch of the imagination for fans clamoring to have Vala as as regular and Sam gone. I don't see that at all. I do think alot of fans like Vala/CB, and so do I, but not at the expense of Sam.
            No, but the Vala-Dictorian types are exceptionally vocal & we all know which wheel gets the grease.
            Why was Beachhead the most liked episode so far? Well I think it is partly due to fans wanting sam back, and well Brad Wright wrote it and it had some really good scifi in it---thank goodness.
            What do you mean 'most popular'? It didn't get the ratings of Avalon/Origin, so what measure are we using? Of course, I agree w/ you that it's hard to go wrong when Brad Wright is doing the script, especially if it has angsty possibilities (think Abyss).
            So, yes I think most fans want to see Vala back, but I don't think this equates to replacing Sam.
            We'd all like to have our cake & eat it, too. But adding another regular might come with a price we don't like. (I've come to enjoy CB's performance but I don't see how *that* character can be integrated into SG-1 w/o turning the show into a star vehicle. The character is written to stand out & take the spotlight, not blend into an ensemble.)

Comment

You know, I'm abit confused why people always want Sam to be replaced by Vala. Why not someone else? Do they have something against there being two attractive, strong female characters on the team? Are they intimidated by that? :O

To me, it would seem more logical to replace Mitchell with Vala (not that I would want them to do that, I'd much prefer to see Vala as a recurring guest character). Mitchell and Vala both offer the same dynamic to the team so it would make much more sense to me have only one of them, rather than Vala replace Sam, Daniel or Teal'c (who offer their own unique and different dynamic to the team...)

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
                ISam's an explorer, a scientist and a soldier so going through the gate will always have an appeal.
                I didn't say it had *no* appeal, just less ... and that's based on the way AT is playing it this year.

That being said, the only reason they gave for her abrupt end at Area 51 was Cam's appeal regarding the Ori.
                Did I miss a scene? He gave a nice sales pitch early in Avalon, but in Beach Head she was just there to deploy the "bawmb" (Canadian for "bomb"). Next thing we know, she's pushing a dolly full of boxes down an SGC corridor. WTF? Some exposition would have been nice, especially w/ old pal Daniel right there. Confessing intimate personal stuff to Barrett, though, was A) squicky, B) out of character and C) bad writing. I guess they couldn't find any other place to put all that info, so they dumped it there. One more reason why Ex Deus Machina was El Stinkeroo.

Comment

I just lost a post ... but, minigeek ... you are so right on about creatively taking a trite and tired plot for Babylon and breathing fresh life into it by making the woman the hero! AT is ready for more Death Knell kinds of episodes ... has said so herself. And let's not play the post-preggers disadvantage card here ... her stunt double could have handled some of the martial-arts stuff and it would have been doable. What a missed opportunity. It would have also bolstered Sam's image in this stage of returning ... sigh!

Too bad we didn't have you on the writing team, mg!

Comment

Originally posted by Osiris-RA
                    Can there be two high commanding people on the same team anyway? I don't get it, did they do it do that Sam wouldn't actually be in the lead or so she could be in the lead - or rather sharing the lead?
                    Since Mitchell is fairly science-literate (although obviously not at the Carter level—who is?), you'd half expect Sam to be leading SG-2, the research team, while Daniel & Mitchell handle the "first contact" stuff. Of course Daniel would much rather be on Atlantis, but Vala keeps fracking that up, the shameless hussy.

Comment

Originally posted by Carterslave
                      Next thing we know, she's pushing a dolly full of boxes down an SGC corridor. WTF? Some exposition would have been nice, especially w/ old pal Daniel right there.
                      It's the same case that the writers did for explaining Jack selling his house and truck for parts unknown and suddenly having a second star (if you haven't read a single spoiler this year). Why do the writers suddenly feel the need to stop explaining everything. So some people are going to critique every little detail. Some are going to accept it at face vaule. That's just the way fans are. But give us a little credit here. We're smart enough to know when there's a big gaping hole in the plotline. Some simple exposition isn't too much to ask.
                      sigpic

Comment

Jester is now downing her third martini!!!!
                        Boy howdy! I've been gone all afternoon taking care of some heavy RL stuff - dropped by here to take the edge of the day - think I'll join you in a few drinks Jester then maybe come back and respond to some of today's talk.

Maybe Chris will share his drink
                        My View From The Peanut Gallery

Comment

Do you all really think this? Do you think that TPTB would actually tell Amanda that we are now reducing your character to recurring even if she wanted to return in season 10 as a regular, and make Vala a regular? Do you really believe that they would do this to AT? If so, then what you are saying is they could care less about her work on the show for nine years and that they really have no respect for her and do not see her contribution to the success of the show over the years. Maybe they don't---but I find that hard to believe.
                          Actually, with apologies, yes, I do think they'd do that. I also think that if they thought that having Daniel be absorbed by a new alien race that insists their members run around naked, and painted glow-in-the-dark neon purple would permanently pull the ratings and revenues up, naked and eternally purple he'd be.

I don't think it's a matter of them not respecting Amanda or her work, it's a matter of economics, and while they may respect her, and her work, it's profits that move them and make the decisions. They'd miss her personally, and maybe miss her professionally, but they'd still say goodbye.

The point is, why are we assuming that because TPTB love Vala, that they don't like Sam? That's what I don't get in these comments. Why is there competition stirred for the female actresses, and not for the male actors. Why not get rid of Teal'c or make him recurring since he isn't doing much anyway (I don't really believe this, but why no competition between the male actors).
                          I think TPTB like Sam - she's been a necessary part of the show to date: Seasons 1 - 8 Earth needed a Stargate expert, and 1 - 7, SG-1 needed a scientist. But, the conception of the series seems to be different this season. The functioning of the Stargates seems to of less concern, if any, and SG-1 doesn't seem to need a scientist and/or Goa'uld technology expert to traipse through Alteran virtual reality games and comm technology, or go on galactic scavenger hunts, or, really to transport big bombs and deal with Goa'uld embedded on Earth. Vala can use the Goa'uld technology that requires naquadah in the tissues for attempted healings via hand device, and doubtless use the ribbon device and whatever else, too. She and Daniel together can dismantle and hotwire standard Goa'uld technology that doesn't require naquadah, and Vala can come up with bright ideas for dealing with weird techno-situations precipitated by the Orii. Sam's character isn't necessary for the Earthlings to interact with cultures being proselytized by the Priors. She carries no weight with the Jaffa, and Mitchell is there to do all the Earth military things.

So, it seems to me that, strictly speaking Sam's not functionally necessary anymore ( ::gack:: ), and, if Amanda wants anything inconvenient, much as it sickens me, it'll be recurring character time in Tok'ra-ville. I'm sure they'll part amicably if should happen, because Amanda seems to be a consummate professional, and eps that she would appear in thereafter would be promoted like a 0 cost substitute for fossil fuels, but still...

And, it wouldn't happen to Daniel or Teal'c because their characters are still functionally necessary in the 'new' Orii oriented (Orii-ented?) direction of the overall storyline.

Gods. The idea of Amanda not being on Stargate just... reeks. Actually, it worse than reeks, but, I won't drag that kind of language onto this thread. Amanda and Sam are the reasons I watch this show, and, without her - whatever they'd be putting on the air, if anything (and I don't think the show can sustain Vala-as-previously-seen-on-SG-1 for more than a single season, if that), just wouldn't be SG-1. It's an appalling idea - and, Gods help me, I don't think the fact that it's appalling would influence TPTB for more than about 12 seconds, if matters came to that pass.
                          Last edited by Simhavaktra; 11 September 2005, 06:35 PM.
                          ...a very cranky blog:http://simhavaktra.blogspot.com/

Comment

I can't believe no one has even mentioned it! Sam got a haircut!
                            Nope. Still not short enough. Think S5, Sam, or maybe late S4—2010 for instance.

Speaking of the "men in Sam's life" ...
                            Sam could have saved herself a whole lotta guy trouble if she'd just noticed Janet pining away next to her in the lab ...

Comment

Hear Ye Hear Ye Hear Ye

Because of the serious (and somewhat depressing) nature of recent discussions, the Royal Bar will remain open all night ... please have a seat and, last one out, remember to put out the lights and lock the wine cellar ...

I would have stayed on as bartender, but have an early day at the office tomorrow. Remember to play nice ... hic! comitas regit ... ooh those martinis are gonna make my head hurt for sure ....

Jester

Comment

And, Über, I really liked it when you said (on that other thread):

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
                                Listen, dude, I'm not going down this road with you again.

I get it. You like Cam and think he should lead the team. I'm saying I don't see it and after watching Babylon and his lackluster performance so far...including the very fact he feels subordinate to the others...he has zero business leading that team.

Perhaps were he building a team from scratch that's one thing...but we're not...we're talking about a reconstituted SG-1 with three original team members.

There's nothing in his character that I've seen that says to me, "Wow...this guy is so the leader here!" In fact, I got that vibe from Carter, who was the one to call for backup, lead the search efforts, etc.

My "evidence" is just personal observation that he does not have what it takes to lead Sam, Teal'c and Daniel. He neither has it in experience nor in attitude.

And then the further "evidence" of what TPTB said about him being the team leader for the first few eps...at least give me the impression that he's not going to be the teamleader after that.

JM has waffled on his answers regarding this issue because he knows the fans get into it.

But Landry knows who he has there in Carter...and now that Sam's back permanently, I gotta tell you for the life of me I don't get why this scene hasn't happened yet:

Landry: You know, Mitchell, I kind of liked the idea of you leading SG-1 when it was just you building a team from scratch...but now with Colonel Carter back...

Mitchell (interrupts): ...now with Colonel Carter back, you're passing the reigns back to her.

Landry: That's not a red mark against you, Colonel. In no way is this meant to disrespect you or your leadership style...it's just that...

Mitchell: No disrespect taken, sir. I understand entirely. I requested this post to serve on SG-1 under her. The command's rightfully hers.

I get that you don't agree. That's fine. But my opinion has been cemented by the episodes I've seen so far that Cameron has NO BUSINESS leading Sam, Teal'c and Daniel.

I'm not going to get into a shouting match with you as to which of us believes more in what we're saying.

That's our little "Royal Pain in the Mik'ta!" You tell 'em!

Comment

Working...
                                X