Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DANG IT!!!

I just couldn't let it go...I had to give one more reply.

Please Samandans...PLEASE don't let me post there again!

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
      I even reposted the conversation between Landry and Mitchell I figured would happen soon...when Landry tells Mitchell he's giving control back to Sam.
      Considering that TPTB have tap-danced around this issue through eight episodes, I don't see why they should—or, more precisely would—address it now. It looks like they're keeping it just vague enough to make everyone at least semi-happy. It's the same as w/ the shippy stuff: Why commit yourself when you can keep it vague & not piss anybody off?

Jr. Member, Gateworld Curmudgeon Club

Comment

DANG IT!!!
        I just couldn't let it go...I had to give one more reply.
        Please Samandans...PLEASE don't let me post there again!
        Geez, if I know a forum is going to annoy me, I just avoid it. So, to use a hypothetical, I'll skirt any "Anise/Freya ROCKS!!!" forums that should happen to crop up.
        My two cents is that a Carter vs. Mitchell feud is a vast waste of time & energy, especially when the real menace comes from the pro-Vala movement. If, as Mallozzi claims, adding a new cast member means subtracting somebody else, I'll give you three guesses as to who Vala would displace, and the first two don't count. Two women on SG-1? That would be more science fictional than anything that's happened on the show. I don't know about you but the "ValaValaVala, nobody but Vala" clamor makes me deeply uneasy.
        Last edited by Carterslave; 11 September 2005, 03:56 PM. Reason: Because correct spelling is your friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Carterslave
          Why commit yourself when you can keep it vague & not piss anybody off?
          Credibility, respect, honesty, integrity?

You think vague doesn't piss off people?

Comment

My dear Royal Photographer/Videographer/Defender of the Crown, and, most importantly, Pain in the Miktah,

Methinks that we need to get you over to the Royal Psychiatrist's couch as soon as possible to help you control your, ahem, sudden urges to take on opponents at other threads.

We now know that this condition has existed from your formative years ...

Is there a doctor in the house?!

A concerned Jester

Comment

Considering that TPTB have tap-danced around this issue through eight episodes, I don't see why they should—or, more precisely would—address it now. It looks like they're keeping it just vague enough to make everyone at least semi-happy. It's the same as w/ the shippy stuff: Why commit yourself when you can keep it vague & not piss anybody off?
              If it didn't piss anybody off, it'd be one thing, unfortunately, it seems to piss off everyone, eventually, at least to some degree, which makes it another thing entirely.

I suspect they won't be able to avoid addressing it at some point, in season 10 if not 9, and, being TPTB, that we all, er, love, er, know... whatever... as well as we do, I further suspect that they won't be able to avoid producing more pissedness in the process.
              ...a very cranky blog:http://simhavaktra.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
                My dear Royal Photographer/Videographer/Defender of the Crown, and, most importantly, Pain in the Miktah,

Methinks that we need to get you over to the Royal Psychiatrist's couch as soon as possible to help you control your, ahem, sudden urges to take on opponents at other threads.

We now know that this condition has existed from your formative years ...

Is there a doctor in the house?!

A concerned Jester
                LOL

What I need is a little animated gif of a head banging against a wall because apparently I just can't get enough of the sensation of my forehead slamming against the brick...

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by deepspace
                  I'm a death glider pilot now!
                  *happy*
                  Now I can flyyyyyyy!
                  Congrats on becoming a flying page!

Comment

Wow. This honor...it's just...so unexpected!

First, I'd like to thank the Academy...

...whoops, wrong speech.

Oh and if you like what I wrote there, you'll LOVE what I wrote here:

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=17191

Yikes! you should get an extra ribbon for wading into that fray!--probably a purple heart (with purple bean cluster for defense of the Queen). Battered but not broken.

Comment

You're a Grand Old Flag
                      Once we decide what you look like ...

I agree with Little Page that once Census Taker has given us the final results of the two leading designs ... she can post both flags here and, internally, we can then cast our final vote(s).

You may PM me if you desire so no one will know who voted for which ... hic comitas regit ....

I will be in Poland beginning Wed Sept 14 through Thursday Sept 22, but welcome PMs when I return casting your final vote on our Royal Flag. I can then make the formal announcement and the winning designer can then put the finishing touches (if so desired) on the chevron and we'll host it above the castle's tower. I'm sure one of our graphics designers can insert it in the photo.

Oh yea, what say, Samandans?

And, while we're taking care of Samandan business, why don't we show off the wonderful Samandan Royal Plaques once more? Designer, please post again for our new citizens to enjoy too.

Comment

Geez, if I know a forum is going to annoy me, I just avoid it. So, to use a hypothetical, I'll skirt any "Anise/Freya ROCKS!!!" forums that should happen to crop up.
                        My two cents is that a Carter vs. Mitchell feud is a vast waste of time & energy, especially when the real menace comes from the pro-Vala movement. If, as Mallozzi claims, adding a new cast member means subtracting somebody else, I'll give you three guesses as to who Vala would displace, and the first two don't count. Two women on SG-1? That would be more science fictional than anything that's happened on the show. I don't know about you but the "ValaValaVala, nobody but Vala" clamor makes me deeply uneasy.
                        Mallozzi said that?

Oh, boy - definitely cause for unease. I can see that Vala-not-Sam scenario playing out now. Vala instead of Sam would give the team an entirely 'new' and presumably desirable-to-TPTB tean dynamic: Mitchell the designated hero, and always-outnumbered and beleagured sole representative of the military; Daniel his sometimes ally (whom Mitchell can't really control at all) in the cause of Earth and freedom from repression and always the vocal opponent of all things Orii and/or destructive of historical relics; Teal'c, the stalwart warrior, perpetual supporter of freedom for the oppressed, and sometimes Jaffa politco (whom Mitchell can't really control at all); and Vala, the eternal wild card, equally given to supporting the cause, any cause, and causing trouble for the pure joy of causing trouble, a cipher who can be whatever the instant calls for, a woman Mitchell can't really control at all. Merry mayhem, breathless adventure, continual comedy, dramatic conflict, snappy dialogue, and assorted special effects will doubtless ensue, yes? Yeesh.

Given the... team dynamic... to date this seasosn, that scenario would give TPTB an even greater latitude to play fast and loose with plotting and motivation and character development, because nobody would ever have unbreakable trust in anyone else, and all expectations of each others' ethics / behavior / dedication / goals / professionalism would become strictly conditional and situational. So far this season, it seems to me at least, that TPTB want that elasticity and porosity of plot and character content.

Carterslave, I'm having a nasty premonition of Sam Carter taking her father's place as a Tau'ri host to a Tok'ra symbiote, and recurring character.
                        ...a very cranky blog:http://simhavaktra.blogspot.com/

Comment

Über, slowly step away from that thread. Just back away. That’s right, s l o w l y. It’s a minefield filled with nasty things, guaranteed to irritate you. As a friend, I’m telling you, stay away.

Here, let Sam take care of things for you.

What do you mean LS is claiming I’m Cam’s subordinate again?

All right, he can subordinate this!

NC

Comment

Originally posted by Simhavaktra
                            ... Carterslave, I'm having a nasty premonition of Sam Carter taking her father's place as a Tau'ri host to a Tok'ra symbiote, and recurring character.
                            This is Astrogeologist's worst nightmare!

Comment

Originally posted by Simhavaktra
                              Mallozzi said that?

Oh, boy - definitely cause for unease. I can see that Vala-not-Sam scenario playing out now. Vala instead of Sam would give the team an entirely 'new' and presumably desirable-to-TPTB tean dynamic: Mitchell the designated hero, and always-outnumbered and beleagured sole representative of the military; Daniel his sometimes ally (whom Mitchell can't really control at all) in the cause of Earth and freedom from repression and always the vocal opponent of all things Orii and/or destructive of historical relics; Teal'c, the stalwart warrior, perpetual supporter of freedom for the oppressed, and sometimes Jaffa politco (whom Mitchell can't really control at all); and Vala, the eternal wild card, equally given to supporting the cause, any cause, and causing trouble for the pure joy of causing trouble, a cipher who can be whatever the instant calls for, a woman Mitchell can't really control at all. Merry mayhem, breathless adventure, continual comedy, dramatic conflict, snappy dialogue, and assorted special effects will doubtless ensue, yes? Yeesh.

Given the... team dynamic... to date this seasosn, that scenario would give TPTB an even greater latitude to play fast and loose with plotting and motivation and character development, because nobody would ever have unbreakable trust in anyone else, and all expectations of each others' ethics / behavior / dedication / goals / professionalism would become strictly conditional and situational. So far this season, it seems to me at least, that TPTB want that elasticity and porosity of plot and character content.

Carterslave, I'm having a nasty premonition of Sam Carter taking her father's place as a Tau'ri host to a Tok'ra symbiote, and recurring character.
                              Nooooo! This is enough to send me running to the Royal Liquor Cabinet to drown my sorrows. Quick--who has the keys?

Comment

Originally posted by parsifal
                                Credibility, respect, honesty, integrity?
                                You think vague doesn't piss off people?
                                Not to the extent that explicitly coming down on one side of the fence or the other does. TPTB probably think they've achieved an acceptable modus vivendi by throwing a fuzzy bone or two to the S/J shippers but keeping it ambiguous enough that the J/D shippers, etc. won't get too riled up in response. If you don't want Sam & Jack together, you can always fanwank "the motorcycle" and "Not exactly" to mean something else entirely. I've seen it done. But have Sam say "Jack & I just got back from a week of incredible sex in Cabo San Lucas" and ... KABOOM! The ship wars are in full swing again.
                                I know a lot of people who rather have no shippiness on the show, period, so I don't think that keeping the future of S/J (or J/D, if you prefer) vague is necessarily a lose/lose proposition, especially when you see all mileage that TPTB have gotten out of teasing that stuff along year & after year.

(Being one of the holdouts for Sam/Janet, I know I'm *never* going to get what I want & thus can afford to be detached, resigned & philosopical about the whole matter.)

Same w/ the rank business (which I thought Kas corralled nicely until it strayed from what was factually verifiable on the show± to what should [or shouldn't] take place, whereupon it was "Katie, bar the door!"). If command of SG-1 is somehow nebulously shared by Carter & Mitchell, it's a better conflict-avoidance strategy for TPTB when dealing w/ the fandom than to come down firmly one way or another. Hence Joe Mallozzi's diplomatic circumlocutions.
                                I didn't say TPTB's strategy is valorous or ought to get a Congressional Medal of Honor. It's more like tiptoeing through a mine field, if you ask me. I hope we're not going to have any folks on SAGC who go Kalliope on us and "ding" anybody who doesn't fall in line w/ this or that viewpoint.

±: I've had the ins and outs of military rank explained to me by an expert and, though it's a hopelessly confusing topic, time in grade is not always the ultimate arbiter of who's in command, depending on certain arcane provisos and exceptions to the general rule. So there are scenarios whereby either Carter *or* Mitchell could be in charge. But, like I said, it's confusing as hell. Small wonder that TPTB are keeping it somewhat nebulous.

And welcome Parsifal: Durch Mitleid wißend, der reine Tor!
                                Last edited by Carterslave; 11 September 2005, 05:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X