Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by jckfan55:
    IMO, Sam didn't even look like she wanted to be there in the first scene with the team. But I may need to go back and look at it again--maybe it was just that she was paying attention, unlike CM.
    I get what you're saying here, but I took that whole scene a little differently. Sam was definitly paying attention, as was Daniel. Mitchell was, well, I don't know what the hell Mitchell was doing. If that's the way that the writers are going to write Mitchell or the way that Ben Browder is going to play "Mitchell fitting in", then they might as well axe the character now and cut their losses. I thought that both Sam and Daniel were a bit disdainful after Mitchell's spiel. Sam certainly gives him a queer look as she walks past him. I guess we'll see where this all goes. As for the rest of the season and the team feeling, like the rest of you I hope there's better things to come.

You know, I was always bothered by a comment made earlier in the year by I think, Rob Cooper, proudly declaring that this year things would be more like season two of SG-1. That sort of scares the hell out of me. I mean, I get it; the last two years the writers have taken way too much flack for writing almost all character driven stories. Seasons seven and eight are about the four members of SG-1 way more than they were in earlier seasons. And, for me, and I think alot of the silent majority of long time fans, seasons seven end eight were a lot more rewarding. I watch SG-1 for the team, but more than that, I watch for the characters. I got hooked on O'neill, Carter, Daniel, and Teal'c. I want to see what keeps happening to them. Writing stories as they were in season two may work for the new characters, but it's not going to work for Carter, Teal'c, and Daniel. Those three characters are about as developed and fleshed out as any character on tv gets to be. To try and write them into a season two episode now seems damn near impossible to me. Any one of those characters now is way, way bigger than any single season two episode.

By and large, the characters should always be driving the story, driving the episode, no matter how plot heavy it may be. And, as they are now, Carter, Teal'c, and Daniel demand that the stories be constructed more as they were in later seasons than they were in the earlier ones. This is, afterall, the how and why all tv shows evolve. No series ends the same as when it started. The best example I can think of to illustrate my point is compare The Fifth Race and Lost City. Generally speaking, Fifth Race is about what happens in the story. The episode is told with a clear purpose; it's a series of events, leading to O'neill's meeting with the Asgard. And it works great. Fifth Race is still, to this day, one of the most successful episodes of SG-1, ever. Lost City, generally speaking, is the same story told over again. I know, it sounds like a horrible idea, but let's face it, it works great. And it works great because the writers were able to tell the same story better. Lost City, not solely because of the fact that it's a two parter, is a more meandering look at the same series of events. In Lost City, the overriding purpose of the story is not to achieve it's denouement. The events of Lost City happen primarily to allow us more insight into the characters. Here, O'neill doesn't just transform as a result of the knowledge his mind holds. Here, we get to see Jack slowly lose himself, watch as he struggles to hold on to...to...what? To events of the story? Sure, that's in there. To what he has to do? Well, sort of, but there's not too much of that. To the other characters that have come to define who he is? Absolutely. That's what Lost City is about. It's about Jack and SG-1. It's about the relationships he has with Carter, Teal'c, and Daniel. And it's entirely what makes SG-1 the show it has become. Lost City provides an insight into all of the characters in a way that Fifth Race never could. And it's not because one episode is inherently better told than the other, it's because it is told differently. One is a more mature telling of the same story. And if season nine is going to revert back to season two in terms of storytelling than I'm going to have a hard time ever seeing it as anything more than a step backwards.

All of that being said, I really don't think that season nine, so far, has come across like season two. At least it hasn't to me. So far, for me, season nine is very much like season six. The stories are good, the acting from the principles is very good (as always), but the in depth character stuff is, for now, on the back burner. And maybe that's not a bad thing. Acting wise and writing wise, this probably makes things much easier for the cast and crew. Shows that go guts for glory all of the time are doomed to burn out and be forgotten as quickly as last week's news. See Battlestar Galactica. I do, however, miss RDA way more than I missed Michael Shanks. And as far as Mitchell is concerned, I'm getting that Jonas vibe all over again.

Comment

Season 9 Finale spoilers
      Spoiler:
      In this thread http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...75#post4496875 they seem to think that Sam will be making way for Vala in season 10 - go tell them how it is
      gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
      so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
      love Torri

Comment

Samfan31: Thanks for the update to the list, Deepspace.
        Just a thought - Astro's index located at
        http://forum.gateworld.net/showthre...&page=442&pp=20
        references your list as "SaGC Birthdays, Thread page 361, post 7204". Since she appears to be busy with RL stuff could you also update post 7204 on page 361? Then the updated list would also be in the Master Index.
        Well, to tell you the truth, I thought about that, and decided I wanted to make a new post for it, which was entirely dedicated to just the list, as the last one was full of a post as well. I was kinda hoping astro would be back to change the index link for me by now.
        So for the moment just everyone remember it's on page 774, is that ok?

sg1fanintn February 19, 1955.
        Off to add you now .

...deepspace is a PROUD MEMBER of the Sam's A Great Character Thread...

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

Originally posted by deepspace
          So for the moment just everyone remember it's on page 774, is that ok?
          Uber could put the list on her site it would be a lot easier then
          gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
          so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
          love Torri

Comment

"Well, it seems that they wanted us to chop down the entire forest with a herring, sir."

"We offended the indigenous lifeforms, sir, Mitchell forgot the shrubbery again."
            If you immediately know the ep stinks, the writers were cooked a long time ago

Member of Gategrrlz Gone Wild
            proud Shore Leave 28 Attendee
            Naughty Shore Leave 29 Attendee (sorry all but thanks for the rescue. many many thanks)

Carmen Argenziano Appreciation

Comment

MISSING
              One littlest Royal Page
              appearance: likely nothing much like her twin deepspace

Charlie, I miss ya!

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

I'm a death glider pilot now!
                *happy*
                Now I can flyyyyyyy!

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

Originally posted by Qasim
                  Season 9 Finale spoilers
                  Spoiler:
                  In this thread http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...75#post4496875 they seem to think that Sam will be making way for Vala in season 10 - go tell them how it is
                  I replied. I'm expecting to have the crap dinged out of me for it though...

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Well, hecky darn! I left the forum to remake one of those despair.com signs into something that expresses the feelings we've been discussing here today. I got it all done in Publisher, but I can't crop it because I don't have Photoshop on the home computer right now. GRRRRRR! So, I'll post it from the office in the morning, I guess. Try to remember what we were talking about, 'k?

I agree with golfbooy that S9 feels a lot more like S6 than S2. But I liked Jonas, so I didn't suffer during S9 like big Daniel fans did. To me, the show has always been about the team, but the most important members of the team (for me) are Sam and Jack. What's lacking this season? RDA. That's all. Just RDA.

Bottom line of everything we've been saying here today (IMHO): They may have a "happier, more relaxed set" this year.....but they're not producing a better product. Sigh. I wish it wasn't so. But except for Beach Head and Ex Deus Machina, it just doesn't feel like the show I love. I think some people ARE irreplacable.

Comment

Originally posted by deepspace
                      MISSING
                      One littlest Royal Page
                      appearance: likely nothing much like her twin deepspace

Charlie, I miss ya!
                      Profile says 'Last Activity: Today 02:11 AM'
                      Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan

We are here to give you compensatory rep when it lets us
                      love Torri

Comment

Could someone provide me with either a link or a direct quote as to when JM said that Cam was leading SG-1..."at least for the first few episodes"?

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

One of the best posts ever

I thought it needed to be posted here aswell

Season 9 finale and theoretical Season 10 spoilers:

Spoiler:

First of all, Sam is not a replaceable character, anymore than Daniel and Teal'c are. She's been with the stargate program for 10 going on 11 years. She leads the flagship team (and that was confirmed to me even more after watching Babylon). From a scientific standpoint, she's the expert on the gate and as Landry said to Jack, "there were times when ONLY Samantha Carter could have pulled your butt out of the fire."

And on top of all this, she makes a mean souffle.

To suggest that Samantha Carter could in some way be replaced with Vala??? Are you kidding??? Except for the fact that they can both use Goa'uld technology, these two characters are NOTHING alike. Carter is a woman of character and integrity...a warrior, a friend, a mother, a hero. Young girls and even NOT so young girls want to be more like her. Heaven help us all if young girls start to clamor to be more like Vala.

NOW DON'T GET ME WRONG HERE...I LIKE VALA. Vala's an intriguing character...but she could NEVER, EVER replace CARTER!

I agree with the idea of Vala being a recurring character. She brings flare and conflict and pizzazz...and I got to really care about her character in The Powers that Be. I think there's a lot of potential for her.

But she is not sustainable as a regular anymore than Jay Felger is. The things that make her an interesting addition to the Stargate universe are the same things that would make her unbearable on a week to week basis.

love Torri

Comment

remember 'the other guys' and felger? how it played into felger's fantasy and was so over the top that many thought that the whole episode was a dream?
                            As Jack would say, "If only!" But thank you; that's how I'm going to fanwank it from now own—that TOG was entirely Felger's dream. If only Felger had been a dream ... a bad dream.

Coombs gets executive clemency, though. He can act.

Jr. Member, Gateworld Curmudgeon Club

Comment

Could someone provide me with either a link or a direct quote as to when JM said that Cam was leading SG-1..."at least for the first few episodes"?

Do you mean this
                              Originally posted by JMallozzi
                              Hey DJ,

As you've probably already heard - Ben will play a military type, Lieutenant Colonel, who will be leading SG-1 during Carter's absence.

JM
                              love Torri

Comment

Originally posted by Qasim
                                Do you mean this
                                Nope...it's more specific...like an interview with JM and another PTB...

...and they were talking about Mitchell, what role he'd play and that he'd lead the team "at least for the first few episodes..."

Comment

Working...
                                X