Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmmm ... Sam Carter as #1 "babe"?!

LOL as I remember reading about Amanda's take on her audition with RDA for the part. It seems that he made the mistake of throwing his arm around her and calling her "babe" ... she must have winced because he then casually asked, "that's okay, isn't it?" Whereupon, AT shot him a glance and said "sure, as long as I can call you 'dick'!"

And Replicarter is the last on the "scifi babe" poll, huh?!

Still LOL ... hmmm, think I'll pass on this vote. But some of you guys may be interested ... then we can call you "dick" too. Just kidding - everyone's free to follow their inclinations.

Oops ... just took another look and someone is missing ... where's Barbie?!

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
      Yeah...I just love it when they say she's too perfect...does everything right, there needs to be a kink in her armor, she needs to make mistakes, yadda yadda...

...and then Gemini rolls around and she does make a huge mistake and she shows she is human...and then she's an incompetent moron who's incapable of leading a bingo match.

Whatever.

I just want to agree with the people who claim she's too perfect... and then suggest that the writers made a horrible error because it's so obvious that Sam should have been the one to ascend rather than Daniel... after all, Sam is so much closer to being "perfect" and "enlightened" than Daniel that she would have been the most logical choice for ascension...

Of course, they would reject that suggestion outright, but never question why it is so clearly not the case. Sam may have her professional life together... she may be a super-brilliant over-achiever, but she wrestles with issues like spirituality and affairs of the heart. That, I think, makes her a well-rounded character, not a perfect one. But I fear the critics will never see that.
      Last edited by Strix varia; 11 September 2005, 09:31 AM.

My LJ

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia
        But I fear the critics will never see that.
        Most people only see what they want to see unfortunately
        gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
        so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
        love Torri

Comment

Originally posted by Simhavaktra
          I should sooo be asleep but www.despair.com is one of my favorites (we're at "Mistakes - It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others." this month on the wall calendar. It makes me think of Felger! ) and I couldn't stop myself... Well, actually, I didn't try very hard, either...

(although Despair.Com would surely disapprove of the 'happy ending' that crept in there!)
          These are brilliant! I've been a fan of despair.com for years, but I never thought of doing anything like this.

My LJ

Comment

I usually watch the new Friday night eps with a group of people. One is a Jack/Daniel shipper (and huge Farscape/BB fan), and two are are team fans who aren't really into fandom and wouldn't understand the term "shipping." And then there's me, a rabid AT/Sam fan.

I think it's pretty telling that last night during Babylon, we devolved into picking out all the logic faults, questionable holes in the plot, and silly lines throughout the episode. The tone was decidedly light, but snarky, and it was clearly apparent that we were entertaining ourselves because the show was not entertaining us. It's sad when a group of people start laughing because Teal'c and Daniel are trying to hide behind 8 inch grass clumps when there are trees around that might possibly provide better cover.

We're a pretty diverse group of people who look for different things out of the show, and after much discussion during SGA commercials, it became apparent that none of us are very satisfied with the season so far. To my mind, there have been two fairly decent episodes so far, EDM and Beachhead, but SGA has been beating SG-1 consistently in terms of getting me involved in the story. For a multitude of reasons (many of which have been eloquently presented on this thread), SG-1 is not clicking this season.

I suppose the next comments may contain potential spoilers...
            Spoiler:

I blame the writers for this. The actors are doing as good a job as they possibly can. BB is doing great with Cam, but I can't help but be annoyed with the character when they write scenes for him like they did at the beginning of Babylon. I wanted Teal'c to smack him. If I had been Teal'c, I would have smacked him. Cam wants to learn from the best, so you might think he would pay attention when Teal'c asked him to be quiet. As it is, the writers made him look like an ass.

Same with the new CMO. She came across as petulant and sulky, and it makes me wonder how long they plan to drag this antagonism out between her and Landry. I know the writers intend it to add drama and mystery to the new characters, but I just find it irritating. I desperately want to LIKE these new people, but it's hard to do when I'm not seeing a whole lot to like...

At the end, I asked if anyone was surprised by the supposed plot twist. Nope, everyone saw it coming a mile away, even the two people who had no exposure to any sort of spoilers. In comparison, Battlestar Galactica had a plot twist that took us all by surprise. That's the difference between good writing and bad writing.

Even my Jack/Daniel shipper friend bemoaned the fact that Sam was on screen for such a short time. "Wow, Sam didn't have much of a roll tonight, did she? You'd think they could have given her a few more lines." And I don't think she was just being sympathetic to me.

Sorry for sounding negative, but I'm feeling negative, and while I haven't given up hope for things coming together at some point in the future, last night did a lot to dampen my optimism. TPTB have made poor choices this season, IMO, and I'm really losing hope that they'll turn it around anytime soon. I do hope they prove me wrong.

I almost didn't post anything about the episode because I knew I couldn't do it without going on a rant, but I really needed to vent. Thanks for bearing with me.

My LJ

Comment

Originally posted by GenHammondsBarber
              Hi to all the Sam fans. Just letting you know I am keeping a top 25 stargate babes poll and right now sam is number 1. Vote if you want to keep her on top.
              Sam seems to be ahead on the "who's hotter" thread as well. Makes me think of that Behind the Scenes clip where AT is reading emails or web posts and points to "Carter is hot" and says gleefully/playfully "focus in on that!"

Comment

I usually watch the new Friday night eps with a group of people. One is a Jack/Daniel shipper (and huge Farscape/BB fan), and two are are team fans who aren't really into fandom and wouldn't understand the term "shipping." And then there's me, a rabid AT/Sam fan.

I think it's pretty telling that last night during Babylon, we devolved into picking out all the logic faults, questionable holes in the plot, and silly lines throughout the episode. The tone was decidedly light, but snarky, and it was clearly apparent that we were entertaining ourselves because the show was not entertaining us. It's sad when a group of people start laughing because Teal'c and Daniel are trying to hide behind 8 inch grass clumps when there are trees around that might possibly provide better cover.

We're a pretty diverse group of people who look for different things out of the show, and after much discussion during SGA commercials, it became apparent that none of us are very satisfied with the season so far. To my mind, there have been two fairly decent episodes so far, EDM and Beachhead, but SGA has been beating SG-1 consistently in terms of getting me involved in the story. For a multitude of reasons (many of which have been eloquently presented on this thread), SG-1 is not clicking this season.

I suppose the next comments may contain potential spoilers...
                Spoiler:

I blame the writers for this. The actors are doing as good a job as they possibly can. BB is doing great with Cam, but I can't help but be annoyed with the character when they write scenes for him like they did at the beginning of Babylon. I wanted Teal'c to smack him. If I had been Teal'c, I would have smacked him. Cam wants to learn from the best, so you might think he would pay attention when Teal'c asked him to be quiet. As it is, the writers made him look like an ass.

Same with the new CMO. She came across as petulant and sulky, and it makes me wonder how long they plan to drag this antagonism out between her and Landry. I know the writers intend it to add drama and mystery to the new characters, but I just find it irritating. I desperately want to LIKE these new people, but it's hard to do when I'm not seeing a whole lot to like...

At the end, I asked if anyone was surprised by the supposed plot twist. Nope, everyone saw it coming a mile away, even the two people who had no exposure to any sort of spoilers. In comparison, Battlestar Galactica had a plot twist that took us all by surprise. That's the difference between good writing and bad writing.

Even my Jack/Daniel shipper friend bemoaned the fact that Sam was on screen for such a short time. "Wow, Sam didn't have much of a roll tonight, did she? You'd think they could have given her a few more lines." And I don't think she was just being sympathetic to me.

Sorry for sounding negative, but I'm feeling negative, and while I haven't given up hope for things coming together at some point in the future, last night did a lot to dampen my optimism. TPTB have made poor choices this season, IMO, and I'm really losing hope that they'll turn it around anytime soon. I do hope they prove me wrong.

I almost didn't post anything about the episode because I knew I couldn't do it without going on a rant, but I really needed to vent. Thanks for bearing with me.
                I so agree with you. I was watching by myself but I *thought* of the heckling comments. I, like you, keep waiting for the season to gel, but it doesn't. I guess we're only 3 episodes (?) in to having Sam back, but still--how many episodes should it take? I couldn't tell if Cam's first lines were supposed to show they were comfortable enough with each other now that he could joke about Teal'c or that he was trying too hard.

More than ever I'm thinking they need an infusion of new writers over at SG1. I wonder if JM & the gang have become too comfortable and are buying into the fawning from fans. My philosophy is to take your work seriously, but not yourself. I wonder if they're doing the opposite? Endless "homages" (i.e. ripoffs) and self-referential ( & pop culture reference) so-called humor get tired. As someone elsewhere said, sure they've always had kernels of episodes that had been done elsewhere, but then they did something original with them. I'm not sensing that so much in the last season or so. I don't want to be negative, but I can't help feeling the actors could give us that team feeling if only they were given a chance by the writers. IMO, Sam didn't even look like she wanted to be there in the first scene with the team. But I may need to go back and look at it again--maybe it was just that she was paying attention, unlike CM.

Comment

Originally posted by SamFan31
                  Captions?

General Landry Sir, Yes it is just as we thought - all that pent up frustration regarding season 9 - Samanda has finally blown - and the fallouts gonna be big!!

or

Errr General Landry Sir, about your new ATV which croaked on you yesterday. When you asked us to tow it away it appears that Col Mitchell may have misheard you!!
                  Last edited by Coley; 11 September 2005, 10:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
                    Sam seems to be ahead on the "who's hotter" thread as well. Makes me think of that Behind the Scenes clip where AT is reading emails or web posts and points to "Carter is hot" and says gleefully/playfully "focus in on that!"
                    Heres the line:

TAPPING: “Carter is hot!” (She gasps and holds the page up to the camera.) Zoom in on that – “Carter is hot!”

and now for the other interesting part:

BERNARD: How come there isn’t a Carter doll?
                    TAPPING: From your lips to the god of merchandising’s ears, my friend!
                    BERNARD: I mean, I’m waiting for that! That’s the one doll I would actually buy.

I am tempted to agree with him
                    gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
                    so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
                    love Torri

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
                      There's been some mention as of late
                      That Samanda needs its celebratory cake ...

Many wonderful postings about Season Nine
                      And terrific posters which also shine

So here's to all good Samandans who have kept apace
                      Turning Samanda, once again, into a happy place

Jester
                      You're on a roll with these poems. Keep it up Jest!!!

Comment

Qasim, 1speed told me Saturday that he thinks you may have posted a pic of yourself with the lovely Amanda. Is this true? If so feel free to post again!!

Comment

Originally posted by Coley
                          Qasim, 1speed told me Saturday that he thinks you may have posted a pic of yourself with the lovely Amanda. Is this true? If so feel free to post again!!
                          I dont know where he got that idea from - I have never met Amanda
                          love Torri

Comment

I know I've seen one with tsaxlady and our delightful queen...perhaps SHE might be compelled to share it...

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by Qasim
                              I dont know where he got that idea from - I have never met Amanda
                              Apologies Qasim - Tone I know you're out there. This deserves an apology post n'est pas??!!

Comment

Samanda is definitely on an articulate roll today, as evidenced by these latest two observant posts!

No need to apologize. You've made some excellent points!
                                I so agree with you. I was watching by myself but I *thought* of the heckling comments. I, like you, keep waiting for the season to gel, but it doesn't. I guess we're only 3 episodes (?) in to having Sam back, but still--how many episodes should it take? I couldn't tell if Cam's first lines were supposed to show they were comfortable enough with each other now that he could joke about Teal'c or that he was trying too hard.

More than ever I'm thinking they need an infusion of new writers over at SG1. I wonder if JM & the gang have become too comfortable and are buying into the fawning from fans.
                                Well, they're certainly not buying into the fawning from us, are they?
                                My philosophy is to take your work seriously, but not yourself. I wonder if they're doing the opposite? Endless "homages" (i.e. ripoffs) and self-referential ( & pop culture reference) so-called humor get tired. As someone elsewhere said, sure they've always had kernels of episodes that had been done elsewhere, but then they did something original with them. I'm not sensing that so much in the last season or so. I don't want to be negative, but I can't help feeling the actors could give us that team feeling if only they were given a chance by the writers. IMO, Sam didn't even look like she wanted to be there in the first scene with the team. But I may need to go back and look at it again--maybe it was just that she was paying attention, unlike CM.
                                Also very good points!

Comment

Working...
                                X