No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I should sooo be asleep but www.despair.com is one of my favorites (we're at "Mistakes - It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others." this month on the wall calendar. It makes me think of Felger! ) and I couldn't stop myself... Well, actually, I didn't try very hard, either...

(although Despair.Com would surely disapprove of the 'happy ending' that crept in there!)
    ...a very cranky blog:http://simhavaktra.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Dani76
      I borrowed Dani's Death Knell idea and made one of CG's inspiration posters.

Last edited by ForeverSg1; 10 September 2005, 10:42 PM.

Comment

NOT FAIR...NOT FAIR...NOT FAIR!!!

Despair.com is like one of my FAVORITE websites for like a couple years now!

But alas, I don't have time to make a graphic...

I may have to force myself to waste time on it tomorrow. Strike that...TODAY.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by tsaxlady
          ]

As for AT - I don't remember if I read it or if it was said at Comic Con but I believe when she first returned to work she was only on set part time the first couple of weeks and then by her third week back she was back on full-time. I would also guess that part of the time she was missing in Babylon she was off filming her single scenes from ExDM.
          hey, thanks for telling this!

sally
          sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
            Putting aside the fact that as an audience member I want to see Sam in the field, you're right that they really haven't given us an explanation of why this wouldn't be a backward career step.
            i also find it odd that amanda hasn't commented on it either. either a- she doesn't see this as a slight for sam, b- this was done 'for' amanda more than anything else, or c- there's a surprise around the corner concerning this topic. but still, with how much amanda wanted/loved leading sg1, you'd think she would have made a comment...

sally
            sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Qasim
              Heres some screencaps:
              I can't believe noone has even mentioned it! Sam got a haircut!
              Sorry couldn't help myself.

Comment

Here's the link to the Samandan birthday list: http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost....postcount=7204

I thought I was on there, but I'm not. Please add me: February 19, 1955.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
                  I saw BB briefly in Farscape and his acting seemed self-assured and mature. I'm reading all of today's posts and agreeing with all of you ... what happened? Something is definitely missing along the line of just who the writers want this Cam Mitchell to be ... an actor needs his own backstory of his character and often embellishes and projects to motivate him/herself. But I've seen no growth for Cam ... and yes, the swaggering gum-chewing and cap-wearing routine certainly doesn't raise Cam up to the level I'd expect for a team leader. Now it's almost as if he's borrowing from the John Sheppard school of leadership ... but a Sheppard or an O'Neill can get away with all the braggadacio. For some reason, it's not working for Cam.

It's sad because, by now, the team should make us want to care about them ... and, aside from brief moments of Sam, I am not bonding!

There is no cohesion ... too many tangents ... maybe too many cooks in the Sony/MGM kitchen.
                  Referring back to Hubby's earlier comment that I posted, I think the difference is the canvas on which the actor has been placed. Farscape was a very different show from SG-1. Yes, they were both sci-fi, and both Jack O'Neill and John Crichton are self-assured wise-crackers.....but the similarities end there. Farscape was a world all to itself. SG-1 has constant ties to Earth and lots of real-world implications. John Crichton had to swagger to keep from being run over by the outrageous personalities he encountered. The same mannerisms seem childish on the SG-1 canvas. I think BB is still feeling very uncertain with the dynamics of the universe into which he has moved. He's trying to be the snarky leader without being accused (as we already have done) of being a carbon copy of Jack O'Neill. The result is a very uneven performance in the team scenes.

Another component of our unrest is the leadership issue. We KNOW that Sam should rightfully have the command, and that she exhibits the maturity, skills and experience for the job. It's unrealistic that she isn't doing that. And Mitchell's lack of experience make him a poor leader, because everyone on his team is more experienced than he is.

A third component is that we all miss RDA and Jack. We have certain expectations of how the team is supposed to interact, and that isn't happening. We're missing the sense of family that was there for eight years, because a very important member of our family is gone. Add to that the late arrival of the other key member of the family this season.....and the producers easing her back into the show.....and it just feels wrong, wrong, wrong more than it should. I agree that Ex Deus Machina was the best ep so far, and I also agree with many of the other sentiments that have been posted here in the past 24 hours about what's missing.

The final component of this strange situation, IMHO, is that TPTB have been purposely vague about what has transpired since the end of S8, how Sam ended up at Area 51, where Jack really went, etc., etc. As Kat said, it's probably because they don't want to commit anything to canon in case they need to change it later.

Take one or two of these things happening in a season of transition on a TV show, and most reasonable minds can accept the change. But this is quite a bit for fans to absorb, and our perceptions of what the show IS are telling us that it just doesn't feel right.

Will it improve? Gee, I hope so. That’s why I hold out hope for the second half of S9, when AT should be fully integrated into the storylines. So, I’m first hoping for a good story arc coming out of next week’s half-season finale, and I’m setting my sights on January, when I hope everything will begin to gel.

Comment

Originally posted by sg-1fanintn
                    Referring back to Hubby's earlier comment that I posted, I think the difference is the canvas on which the actor has been placed. Farscape was a very different show from SG-1. Yes, they were both sci-fi, and both Jack O'Neill and John Crichton are self-assured wise-crackers.....but the similarities end there. Farscape was a world all to itself. SG-1 has constant ties to Earth and lots of real-world implications. John Crichton had to swagger to keep from being run over by the outrageous personalities he encountered. The same mannerisms seem childish on the SG-1 canvas. I think BB is still feeling very uncertain with the dynamics of the universe into which he has moved. He's trying to be the snarky leader without being accused (as we already have done) of being a carbon copy of Jack O'Neill. The result is a very uneven performance in the team scenes.

Another component of our unrest is the leadership issue. We KNOW that Sam should rightfully have the command, and that she exhibits the maturity, skills and experience for the job. It's unrealistic that she isn't doing that. And Mitchell's lack of experience make him a poor leader, because everyone on his team is more experienced than he is.

A third component is that we all miss RDA and Jack. We have certain expectations of how the team is supposed to interact, and that isn't happening. We're missing the sense of family that was there for eight years, because a very important member of our family is gone. Add to that the late arrival of the other key member of the family this season.....and the producers easing her back into the show.....and it just feels wrong, wrong, wrong more than it should. I agree that Ex Deus Machina was the best ep so far, and I also agree with many of the other sentiments that have been posted here in the past 24 hours about what's missing.

The final component of this strange situation, IMHO, is that TPTB have been purposely vague about what has transpired since the end of S8, how Sam ended up at Area 51, where Jack really went, etc., etc. As Kat said, it's probably because they don't want to commit anything to canon in case they need to change it later.

Take one or two of these things happening in a season of transition on a TV show, and most reasonable minds can accept the change. But this is quite a bit for fans to absorb, and our perceptions of what the show IS are telling us that it just doesn't feel right.

Will it improve? Gee, I hope so. That’s why I hold out hope for the second half of S9, when AT should be fully integrated into the storylines. So, I’m first hoping for a good story arc coming out of next week’s half-season finale, and I’m setting my sights on January, when I hope everything will begin to gel.

Uh...wow. What she said.

You hit the proverbial nail on the proverbial head with everything you proverbially said...why Ben's jokes are falling flat...how we're missing Jack...why the dynamic isn't there yet...what's missing and why...yadda yadda...

This post deserves something that has not been seen 'round these parts in AGES (and I'd LOVE to know why btw)....

I really don't have anything substantive to add to that except...

...is there any talk of cake?

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

I haven't seen Babylon yet. So, maybe this post is going to feel a little "off" for some of you.

My opinion on the team or rather lack of team in season 9 is that we're just in the process of building the team back.The 5 first episodes were Daniel/Vala show. No team factor and that was expected. In Beachhead, Sam was back but on a temporary assignment. Again, there was no need to have the team vibe. Where does this leave us now ? We're almost at the middle of the season, and no team yet !

Ex Deus Machina was a great episode, the best one of season 9 as for now. But it missed the opportunity to have the team factor back. Why ? Because they were at different places. Sam and Daniel together on Earth and Teal'c and Cam on Dakara. I think TPTB in their unique way of avoiding the leadership issue are destroying the team rather than trying to buil a new one.
                      They have to deal with cast changes, fine. They have to deal with AT pregnancy, fine also. We're all adults and understand that Sam had to be away or had toplay a minor part in the first episodes. But why didn't they take that opportunity to build new dynamics between Cam, Daniel and Teal'c ? We learned in Avalon that Sam and Cam are friends and know each other. But Cam didn't know the rest of SG1. With a team episode at the beginning of the season they had the golden opportunity to make us like and accept this new version of SG1 and add some character development for Mitchell. Daniel, Teal'c and Cam were the ones who needed to bond together. Sam is already friend with all of them. There was no need to bring the excuse of AT's pregnancy to avoid a etam building episode in the beginning of tha season. Sam had just to be back. They didn't have to build new relationships with her and the guys, only to show them. A small scene in the last episodes was enough.

The last time we had a major change in the team, in season 6, we got a team episode soon. At the end of Descent, there were tension in the team, but they were a team. The feeling I have at the end of Ex Deus Machina is that they're people working together, not a team.

I fear that TPTB are going to destroy the team if they don't get them, all four of them, in the same scene and make them interact. And they need to resolve the leadership issue. There isn't going to be any team vibe if there isn't a leader. At this point, I'd rather have Mitchell being in command, althought I think Sam is the true leader of SG1, than losing the team.
                      Kingdom of Samanda : Hic Comitas Regit

Comment

Gosh, Über, thank you. I'm blushing.

I know the following is off-topic, but I'm going on instinct. I hope no one will mind this reminder that today is September 11.

Comment

Originally posted by sg-1fanintn

So well said, sg-1fanintn. I'm trying to get a balanced perspective about Mitchell and your points help me to see why I haven't warmed up to him yet. I do like BB, but the character of Mitchell continues to be uneven.

And you have provided good reasons why things don't feel "right" yet. I am hoping like you and others that in the second half, things will come together. I particularly can't wait for The Fourth Horseman (I and II).

I guess my feelings are even stronger now about Carter being in charge. I didn't expect that reaction for me. I thought the writers would give me a good reason why she isn't leading, but I don't see it. They really haven't addressed it yet.

On a much much more important note: thanks for your reminder of September 11. It is appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by Osiris-RA
                            That's a Double Egg Mcmuffin for Mitchell, Double Quarter Pounder with Cheese for Teal'c and a Grilled Chicken Bacon Ranch Salad for Daniel? Copy that!
                            and what is Sam having?
                            Thanks and kudos to my buddy, Geogirl from another scifi forum, for coming up with this motivational poster:

Now this is what we want to see happen with the new team, right campers?!
                            Kudos to Geogirl that is very nice
                            And here's a message for the S9 writers:

Is she basing these posters off the successories range

oh http://www.despair.com/ I think they are an affiliate of successories or is it the other way around
                            Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                            I can't believe noone has even mentioned it! Sam got a haircut!
                            Sorry couldn't help myself.
                            I was going to mention it but changed my mind incase anyone thought it was a pointless point - it still looks great
                            gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
                            so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
                            love Torri

Comment

Hi to all the Sam fans. Just letting you know I am keeping a top 25 stargate babes poll and right now sam is number 1. Vote if you want to keep her on top.

Re: SG Universe Top 25 Babes

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Current Poll

1) Col. Samantha Carter (159 pts) 2) Dr. Weir (154) ^ 3) Teyla (151) ^
                              4) OSIRUS (139) 5) Dr. Frasier (138) ^ 6) Vala Mal Duran (137)
                              7) Charlotte Mayfield [Ba'al's companion] (116) 8) Ishta (114)
                              8) Dr. Heightmeyer (114) ^ 10) Anise (111) 11) Sora (110)
                              12) Dr. Lam (104) 13) Ayiana (96) 14) Hathor (92)
                              15) Lt. Cadman (85) 16) Sha're (81) 17) Krista (80)
                              18) Nirrti (68) 19) Oma Dasala (57) 20) Shau'nac (53)
                              21) Cadet Hailey (47) 22) Katie Brown (43) 23) Kerry Johnson (40)
                              24) Garshaw (33) 25) Replicarter (30)

Others: These characters have recieved votes, but not enough to crack the top 25.

Lya, Reese, Tenis raymond, Mellin, Lt. Claire Tobias, Kynthia, Krista James, Rosha, Waitress from Holiday, Merrin, Lt. Satterfield, Wraith Keeper, Technician Davis, Drey'auc.
                              Every Tuesday General Hammond gets alittle touch up on his dome. I say, "General Hammond, alittle off the top today?"

Top 25 females of stargate

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=16929

Top 25 males of stargate

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=21105

Comment

There's been some mention as of late
                                That Samanda needs its celebratory cake ...

Many wonderful postings about Season Nine
                                And terrific posters which also shine

So here's to all good Samandans who have kept apace
                                Turning Samanda, once again, into a happy place

Jester

Comment

Working...
                                X