No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So you didn't see enough of me tonight. Well darn - remember folks just had little Olivia. Fear not dear Samanda I will be back in my prime soon enough. Don't let the spoilers cause you fear for I will be back in the second half, so by season 10 I have Cameron whipped into shape. Plus don't forget if your are not seeing enough of me on SG-1 then
    Spoiler:
    make sure to tune on SGA for some Grace Under Pressure to watch Rodney and me!
    My View From The Peanut Gallery

Comment

A piece of useless information…did anybody else spot the ubiquitous UAV Friday night?

Ubiquitous UAV
      Last edited by SamFan31; 10 September 2005, 12:25 AM.

Comment

SamFan31, YES YES YES to the "ubiquitous UAV" shot ... I was ROTFLOL, thinking omigod they're still shooting S9 on a tight budget!

It's a bird, it's a plane ... it's ... OLD FOOTAGE from a Samcentric episode ... now if only AT got as much screen time in Babylon too!

Great side-by-side comparison - you proved your case!

Comment

Originally posted by SamFan31
          A piece of useless information…did anybody else spot the ubiquitous UAV Friday night?

Ubiquitous UAV
          That shot was used in Sacrifices as well, when they airdrop the Tretonin supply to Teal'c
          Quite a few of the CG shots will get re-used often - Stargate Kawooshing, UAV being launched, Gliders or Hataks flying past. Just to save a bit of money on the episode

Comment

Originally posted by Coley
            In terms of season 9 I have just seen the first 4 episodes.

I can honestly say that if there had never been 8 previous seasons of Stargate I would be quite impressed.

... However we have had 8 previous seasons and this most certainly isn't the Stargate I know and love.
            At least you're catching up with the rest of us on this side of pond! Yes, it is a new show with a new agenda it seems: the crowning of the new prince, BB.

On the positive side I do like Ben Browder, though I don't think his character is leadership material. He hasn't the presence or sense of command O'Neill has - or Carter for that matter. I wanted to see more of him in the 4 eps than we were given.
            I feel the same way ... trying so hard to accept Cam into the fold, but, each week I'm left a bit empty regarding BB's portrayal. He doesn't seem to be the heavyweight that O'Neill was.

I did enjoy Michael Shank's acting, though he delivers his lines too quickly sometimes for my liking.
            I think Daniel as a linguist also has a command of rapidspeak ... psst, probably in another life, he did voice-overs and radio commercials!

The action is very good and the special effects are better than ever.

Though nothing could ever compare to Janet the new CMO interests me. She has a cool matter of factness about her and has displayed confidence and competence. (I still pine for Janet though - hang believability bring her back from an AU).
            Big money on some big action scenes ... but character development leaves me wanting.

Lam is showing such a brittle edge and lacks the warmth of Janet and it's hard for me to get hooked on her character.

On the down side. Somehow none of it seems real. I can't quite put my finger on it. Maybe it is because Carter is just not there, but somehow it doesn't feel like this could be happening in a neighbourhood mountain near you.
            ROTFL Great line ... I think the white-washed look of the hallowed Ori seems to add to the surreal effect. Give me Ba'al any day ... nothing sexier than an evil dude with glowing eyes dressed in a Brooks Brothers pin-striped suit! I'm not really into a bunch of constipated ghosts roaming the landscape and "preaching to the masses in the desert".

There is just not enough Teal'c. The writers have never managed to do this character justice and they seem to be failing again. What an opportunity to bring him to the fore - but it has been lost.
            Hold on, Teal'c starts to come into his own in the next few episodes!

Well what can I say about Vala? Please just put her in some sensible cloths?? The charactersation is just overdone for my liking. They could have made her a lot more interesting. She is just too much the flip sex tease. A bit of this would be okay, but it seems to be all the time. Unlike Strix I'm not too sure of CB's acting. It seems she has a very theatrical delivery to me - so theatrical I think it adds to the sense that this just can't be real. The delivery belongs in a sit com or on the stage. Now part of me is just wondering if CB is being incredibly clever. I wonder if she is thinking - well if TPTB are going to force me into these outfits and give me this sort of tired cliched characterisation there is no way I'm going to play it real!! To me Daniel/Vala is like a spoof!! Having griped about it I did laugh at a couple of lines! That is pleasing to me!!
            Some great observations ... and CB may be more at home playing it slightly over the top. From an interview I read, Rob Cooper seems smitten and has given her free rein to embellish her part.

Having said all the above the plotline I found interesting.
            So you're into the whole paler-than-thou-bow-to-me-or-else genre of scifi, huh?

The new General to my mind is not as powerful a character as Hammond - but give it time.
            Again, another "new kid on the block" trying to find his foothold (pardon the pun)!

All in all I think we have lost our Stargate SG1 of old. I await Sam's return to see what it develops into. All is not lost - it could turn out to be jolly enjoyable - which is what TV is all about!!
            Yes, sigh ... as the poet says: "nothing gold can stay".

Comment

On the down side. Somehow none of it seems real. I can't quite put my finger on it. Maybe it is because Carter is just not there, but somehow it doesn't feel like this could be happening in a neighbourhood mountain near you.
              Yes, yes, yes! I've said the exact same thing since episode two. It feels flat; It feels stilted; It feels foreign. Perhaps it's meant to be that way because we have two new characters that have to find their places amongst the core family. Even the film itself looks weird. Maybe because it's Hi-Def now. I don't like having to say to myself "wait until the next episode" because soon there won't be any next episode.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
                The Men in Sam?s Life

Yay! Fantastic poem!!
                sigpic

Comment

The Men in Sam’s Life
                  Marvellous as always

Havent watched the ep yet - doesnt sound too good
                  gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
                  so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
                  love Torri

Comment

hello to you all,

I made a music vid about Samantha.
                    If you want to see it, you can download it at this link :

http://www.solcon.nl/redelft/samantha.wmv

have fun watching
                    sigpic

Comment

Captions?

You're telling me Über is opening her own site? In November? Roger that...

Comment

ROTFL Great line ... I think the white-washed look of the hallowed Ori seems to add to the surreal effect. Give me Ba'al any day ... nothing sexier than an evil dude with glowing eyes dressed in a Brooks Brothers pin-striped suit! I'm not really into a bunch of constipated ghosts roaming the landscape and "preaching to the masses in the desert".
                        LOL! classic phrasing--and so appropriate!
                        Last edited by jckfan55; 10 September 2005, 08:18 AM. Reason: fix quote

Comment

Originally posted by SamFan31
                          Captions?

I'm letting Oliva go hungry for this? What happened to "figuring prominently?"

Comment

chopin, beautiful poem. you need to put them up on a website so that when the awards roll around next year you can get them nominated. very few folks really write poems

as to sam-lite, i do think that it has a lot to do with her coming back and being eased in. i think that the writers were trying to be nice to her, give her shorter hours and be aware that she was a new mommy. it likely means that sam fans will have to go back and rewatch older dvd's to get their fix, but i'm willing to do that. doesn't mean that i don't mourn the lack of sam, but i respect amanda enough to be more than willing to gracefully accept what she was willing to do

the uav, oh yeah, how many eps has that been in? sacrifices, death knell, first ones....how many more????? recognized it first off

and vala, you know it' spossible that RC cut her loose and just let CB run away with the character.
                            first of all, it probably fits in with RC's preferred type of humor. he probably thinks/thought he was doing a good thing, and given that vala is popular amongst fans in general, he could have had a good idea. She just does't suit MY sense of humor

it's also possible that they were hoping for another Captain Jack Sparrow (pirates of the caribbean)

the director of that movie just cut johnny depp loose and let him run with the character. so jack sparrow IS over the top, but he fits within the bounds of a fantasy type movie.

the rub is, stargate isn't a fantasy movie, it's a dramatic tv show. hence, vala's over the topness rubs many the wrong way
                            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver

as to sam-lite, i do think that it has a lot to do with her coming back and being eased in. i think that the writers were trying to be nice to her, give her shorter hours and be aware that she was a new mommy. it likely means that sam fans will have to go back and rewatch older dvd's to get their fix, but i'm willing to do that. doesn't mean that i don't mourn the lack of sam, but i respect amanda enough to be more than willing to gracefully accept what she was willing to do
                              You may be right about that. Maybe my radar is up watching for Sam moments now that I've gotten so involved in this thread. But I wonder with the way the episode was written--which I feel did not show a lot of team cohesion--if that meant that Sam wasn't as integrated into the episode as she might have been. (or Daniel, for that matter). Maybe it's rose colored glasses, but even in past seasons when it was a Daniel or Teal'c episode, for example, all the members of the team seemed more a part of the episode.
                              Ultimately, I'm happy for any Sam time and AT has not failed to deliver in her scenes. Besides "Soldier Sam" I really liked
                              Spoiler:
                              how she delivered the lines about Dr. Lee getting zapped.

Comment

Still wish we could see more of her--it's been a while since we've had a Sam-centric ep. [sniff] We need another 'Grace'.

Comment

Working...
                                X