Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by deepspace
    One question... who's the girl watching the tv? (Hope you don't mind me asking?)
    Looks like Angelina Jolie to me

I love the scene below it looks like shes singing along

gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
    so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
    love Torri

Comment

That is Angelina, from the movie Life Or Something Like It. It's actually a really good movie, I liked it before I knew Amanda was in it

Also apparently they didn't want anyone else for the part in it, I remember a really cool story of Amanda's about being there and being tapped on the shoulder, then turning around and seeing Angelina there. Apparently Angelina wanted to meet Amanda.... as anyone would

Originally posted by qasimjavid
      Looks like Angelina Jolie to me

I love the scene below it looks like shes singing along
      sigpic

Comment

The song's so damn catchy too.
        deepspace!!!!! - you've got me started now *hums*
        Originally posted by Myrth
        That is Angelina, from the movie Life Or Something Like It. It's actually a really good movie, I liked it before I knew Amanda was in it

Also apparently they didn't want anyone else for the part in it, I remember a really cool story of Amanda's about being there and being tapped on the shoulder, then turning around and seeing Angelina there. Apparently Angelina wanted to meet Amanda.... as anyone would
        Amanda's in it cool - my cousin has this movie I will have to borrow it off him
        gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
        so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
        love Torri

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
          the black lab is her dog abby. i think she and her hubby got abby about season 2 or so. the dog has come to gatecon a time or two. they would auction 'walking the dogs' with her and jr bourne as a fund raiser
          Hey Sky, I'm way behind the list and trying to catch up, but in case somebody else hasn't already commented, Abby is actually a Bouvier des Flandres rather than a lab. Great dogs. I hope she gets along well with Olivia.

Hugs,
          Strix

My LJ

Comment

By the way has anyone heard from the guy with the Amanda con vid?
            love Torri

Comment

Originally posted by Simhavaktra
              Favorite Sam moments…

I admit that I’ve never watched “Fire and Water” without benefit of fast forward but I really like some really odd bits in it – Sam sitting on the bed in the infirmary shaking like her bones are going to come apart as badly as her composure already has. For my money it’s such good acting, it’s painful to watch. And the part where she’s reading Daniel’s Abydos journal, something like “Colonel O’Neill thinks I’m a geek. I have no idea how to get us back. I’m never gonna get paid.” I know in the script it’s probably supposed to be about Jack’s reaction to when she goes on with the part about Jack being able to find Sha’re if anyone can, but there’s just such a warmth of memory and affection in her voice when she says that part

All the Sam (and Jolinar) parts of “In the Line of Duty” are among my personal and perennial favorite Sam moments. Every time I see that I want to thud Jack’s and Daniel’s skulls together for not having the compassion to reassure Sam amid their attempts to question Jolinar. Sam is so perfectly the hopeless, and helpless, prisoner in an escape proof prison, terrified and desolate to the point of hysteria at her friends’ rejection of her pleas when Jolinar lets her speak.

I like that little bit in “Thor’s Chariot” where SG-1 wants to go back to Cimmeria to help, that goes something like:

Teal'c: "The destruction of the hammer device to save my life may have caused this; if so, I am responsible."
              O'Neill: "General, I gave the order."
              Daneil: "And I fired the staff weapon."
              Carter: "And I...was there."

That whole “All for one, one for all” vibe there is just so… adorable – and the way Sam just tacks her ever so slightly defiant admission of… being present… right onto the other guys’ without a hint of hesitation is priceless, and it’s all the better for supposedly being an ad-lib!

The scene in “Between Two Fires” when Sam, Teal’c and Narim arrive at Narim’s home, and the electronic household manager/computer controller/whatever greets them in Sam’s voice and Sam looks like she’s struggling to figure out just how the heck to respond to discovering the full extent of Narim’s obviously embarrassing obsession, and has to try on several reactions at warp speed before one of them sticks. It’s just so… Sam – the speed with which her mind works, her innate compassion, and her imperfect ability to understand the ‘relationship thing.’

The scene in “Smoke and Mirrors,” when Sam and Barrett go see Leo and his boss, the arms brokers: Sam goes from ‘Oh God, more evidence against the Colonel’ to ‘wait a second – I have an idea’ to buying illegal arms in about 5 seconds flat. NeverSayDie!Sam in action. I also like the scene in this ep in the NID Secret Conference Room (we need one of those where I work – meetings are bad enough, but meeting crashing is both bonkers and worse ) when the alien mimic gizmo gives up, and Sam appears out of its disguise, and says “General Hammond sends his greetings.” The delivery is so perfect – like a knife so sharp no force at all is required to make it cut. Every time I hear that line it sounds more sinister, and I wonder how many people over the years have totally missed Sam’s sarcasm because she can deliver it with that deadly elegance. I also think Carter is NOT a person that can never be pissed off with impunity. Maybe it’s O’Neill’s sometimes dubious influence, or Jake Carter’s influence, or maybe Sam has always had that in her, but I suspect that she may forgive, but she never, ever forgets.

"Grace" when Sam asks Daniel “Were you this annoying when you were ascended?” There’s the woman who’s been wondering, painfully, for months, why the friend she loves as a brother couldn’t be bothered to put in an appearance on her behalf when he was cruising the universe as a squid-of-light, much less when she was about to die by deliquescence, abruptly wondering if she really *wanted* him to put in said appearance if *that* is what she’d have gotten thereby! I love it!

“Death Knell” – like “In the Line of Duty” I like all the bits of that ep with Sam in them, from the initial discussion about the layout at this Alpha Site, the power unit, and giving up coffee for Selmak, to Jacob hanging around just long enough to tell Sam he’s leaving, and why, and kiss her goodbye. If I didn’t have this ep on DVD, I hate to think of the beating the VCR would be taking. I ladore Sam in this ep – even battered and bloody, Sam never stops thinking, or trying, until she absolutely reaches the end of her rope. Sam ought to get some kind of medal/award/decoration for that whole situation! (Well, I think so. )
              Simhavaktra, these are some of my favorites, also, and you presented them beautifully.

I really, really wish you'd write some fanfiction because your vision of Sam is just so wonderful.

My LJ

Comment

Favorite Sam lines:

General Hammond: I see.
                Sam: Oh, I wish you did, sir.

From Urgo... I laugh every time I see that scene. Sam just sounds so pained. I think I read somewhere that they had planned to cut it, but eventually left it in. I'm glad they did.

As the character of Sam Carter has been fleshed out over the years, as we've become more intimate with who she is, has your opinion of her changed? What I mean is, Sam is often lauded for the show's depiction of her as a strong soldier and scientist in earlier seasons. She is often criticized now for the show's depiction of her personal life and self-conflicts. Do you see her in a different light now (e.g. weaker, less successful) because her character has been expanded? Is she no longer the strong solider or scientist to you anymore? Is she now just a woman? And if so, is that a successful or unsuccessful depiction of Sam Carter?
                I don't think catching glimpses of Sam's personal life has diminished her character at all. I think it has made her more 3-dimensional (at least to me). In the First Commandment, we got a feel for the fact that Sam was not always successful in her personal relationships - the line about falling for the lunatic fringe - and I thought that aspect fit very well with her character as perceived it. Someone so devoted to career - who is so successful in science and the military - well, it just made sense that maybe she was not so successful in other aspects of her life. I was kind of glad they went back in later seasons to explore that in greater detail.

Sam is a thinker... she doesn't handle the emotional stuff with such great aptitude, especially romance. She usually reacts to the world first with her intellect, and then with her heart. Nothing wrong with that, but I did find it interesting to watch her try to deal with affairs of the heart and see her flounder. She was so out of her element with Pete.

Personally, I don't think Pete was a good match for her, either, but truth is, I see a lot of women (some of them very intelligent) fall for inappropriate men. I didn't think Pete was beyond the realm of plausibility, especially given what we knew about her past attraction to hard luck cases. Kudos to her for figuring out that it wouldn't have worked out before it was too late. Makes you wonder how long it took her to figure out her mistake with Jonas.

For me, the focus on that aspect of Sam hasn't diminished my respect for her, just made her seem a little more fallible. I do look forward to seeing her get back into her element, though, saving the world as scientist and soldier.

My LJ

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia
                  Hey Sky, I'm way behind the list and trying to catch up, but in case somebody else hasn't already commented, Abby is actually a Bouvier des Flandres rather than a lab. Great dogs. I hope she gets along well with Olivia.

Hugs,
                  Strix
                  thanks for the correction. i'm pretty dog stupid
                  Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

thanks for the correction. i'm pretty dog stupid
                    I'm married to a dog groomer. <sigh>

My LJ

Comment

<quote>As the character of Sam Carter has been fleshed out over the years, as we've become more intimate with who she is, has your opinion of her changed? What I mean is, Sam is often lauded for the show's depiction of her as a strong soldier and scientist in earlier seasons. She is often criticized now for the show's depiction of her personal life and self-conflicts. Do you see her in a different light now (e.g. weaker, less successful) because her character has been expanded? Is she no longer the strong solider or scientist to you anymore? Is she now just a woman? And if so, is that a successful or unsuccessful depiction of Sam Carter?<quote>

I think we have seen sam change. in the first couple of seasons, she was very 'wow, this is fun!'. with the exception of Cassie, most of her actions and reactions were those of someone who was enjoying the adventure. a young person who lucked into a great and unimaginable job and was enjoying every nminute of it.

then came jolinar and the 'we're having fun' captain got an upclose and personal encounter and realized that things really were life and death and no one was untouchable.

I think that's when sam got to be a bit deeper. more introspective. she did still enjoy the adventure but she also knew that the stakes were higher than she'd ever imagined.

but also while this was going on, you can see her confidence grow. hammy and jack believed in her 10000% and they let her do her stuff and she grew up. the began to take and accept responsibility and leadership. Jack may have been her team leader, but if you watch her, she began to anticipate him more and more, knowing what needed to be done even before he said it.
                      Well said, Sky. I think of the scene in Meridian where Sam tells Daniel that he's influenced her with the way he looks at things etc. (Not that I'm totally crediting Daniel with Sam's development). But I think that she did go from being more of the scientist/soldier focused on the problem to being more compassionate. Not that she was ever really cold, but for example, in Matter of Time she makes the comment about watching the black hole--she's in total scientist mode and momentarily forgets the guys stuck on the planet. And in Thor's Hammer she's very impatient with Kendra. I think in later seasons she'd be a lot more sympathethic.

Comment

Had to check out the anti-Sam thread. Interesting that their biggest complaint seems to be that she's too smart and accomplished for her age and looks too good. I could think of worse things to be accused of. Jeepers, they're *all* heroes, of course they're the best in their fields. It's not like the SGC is going to hire incompetents. And it's tv so of course they're all attractive. As brilliant as Sam and Daniel are I'm sure they finished their PhDs quicker than average.
                        Anyway--SAM IS GREAT!

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
                          As brilliant as Sam and Daniel are I'm sure they finished their PhDs quicker than average.
                          I brought up a thread which explained the PhD stuff but they werent having any of it
                          love Torri

Comment

Yikesy. Well, it's not hard to tell Which Girl is in the lead in the video section of the Amanda Tapping contest . If I had the time I'd check out the other vids that haven't got any votes yet, just to see what our Mary Beth is competing with (though judging from the current vote count the word 'compete' doesn't seem to apply ), but for now I've voted for Uber, cause apart from the fact that she's a fellow Samandan, her video Rocks.

(edited to say that the song was a great choice, I now know why you were asking about songs earlier in the thread )
                            I totally agree and I also already voted for Mary Beth's video, really, her's is standing out from the rest IMHO.
                            Make sure you also check out the other categories where some of our great talents here at Samanda are competing with their fanart and fanfics. There are some really good pieces entered.

It's good to see how appreciated Amanda/Sam really is, because, after all, Sam IS a Great Character.

Thank you, Skydiver

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
                              Had to check out the anti-Sam thread. Interesting that their biggest complaint seems to be that she's too smart and accomplished for her age and looks too good. I could think of worse things to be accused of. Jeepers, they're *all* heroes, of course they're the best in their fields. It's not like the SGC is going to hire incompetents. And it's tv so of course they're all attractive. As brilliant as Sam and Daniel are I'm sure they finished their PhDs quicker than average.
                              Anyway--SAM IS GREAT!
                              grrrr...dang hanging

ok, where was i??

um, ok, yeah, of course sam is pretty. actors are usually not cast solely upon their talent but thier looks as well. Michael is pretty, as is chris, and claudia and ben and rick and lexa and the list goes on

but pretty only lasts for a while, talent and skill are only refined and honed by age.

as to sam being 'too smart'....hey they're all too smart. is it practical for daniel to know every single langage they come across? or for teal'c to always know 'an old jaffa legend'?

it's called plot device.

there is also the simply fact that it's most often 'easier' to use the regular actor instead of hiring some extra. take end game for example. it's not appropriate protocol for daniel to be interrogating the two techs after the gate vanished. that was a job for the chief of security...but to do that they woulda had to have hired a chief of security, so they'll have daniel do it cause MS is already getting paid so he's cheaper adn easier to use

same thing with sam. quite often seh knows the biology, astronomry or whatever other 'onomy' they need for her to know simply because it's eaier to use her (or any other regular) than it is to hire an extra
                              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

So last night about 3am in the morning.. I was watching the 'behind the scene's with Amanda Tapping' from season 5.. I have to say.. Amanda is one goody gal

Love it!

Comment

Working...
                                X