No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ah, heck - y'all do realize that I'm now stuck with the line "These are a few of my fa-a-a-a-vorite scenes..." to the matching bars of "These are a few of my favorite things" from _The Sound of Music_ running through my head??? And I Don't Like _The Sound Of Music_! (One of my middle school music teachers liked it way, way, way, way, way too much, at least in terms of showing the movie in class!)

Favorite Sam moments…

I admit that I’ve never watched “Fire and Water” without benefit of fast forward but I really like some really odd bits in it – Sam sitting on the bed in the infirmary shaking like her bones are going to come apart as badly as her composure already has. For my money it’s such good acting, it’s painful to watch. And the part where she’s reading Daniel’s Abydos journal, something like “Colonel O’Neill thinks I’m a geek. I have no idea how to get us back. I’m never gonna get paid.” I know in the script it’s probably supposed to be about Jack’s reaction to when she goes on with the part about Jack being able to find Sha’re if anyone can, but there’s just such a warmth of memory and affection in her voice when she says that part

All the Sam (and Jolinar) parts of “In the Line of Duty” are among my personal and perennial favorite Sam moments. Every time I see that I want to thud Jack’s and Daniel’s skulls together for not having the compassion to reassure Sam amid their attempts to question Jolinar. Sam is so perfectly the hopeless, and helpless, prisoner in an escape proof prison, terrified and desolate to the point of hysteria at her friends’ rejection of her pleas when Jolinar lets her speak.

I like that little bit in “Thor’s Chariot” where SG-1 wants to go back to Cimmeria to help, that goes something like:

Teal'c: "The destruction of the hammer device to save my life may have caused this; if so, I am responsible."
    O'Neill: "General, I gave the order."
    Daneil: "And I fired the staff weapon."
    Carter: "And I...was there."

That whole “All for one, one for all” vibe there is just so… adorable – and the way Sam just tacks her ever so slightly defiant admission of… being present… right onto the other guys’ without a hint of hesitation is priceless, and it’s all the better for supposedly being an ad-lib!

The scene in “Between Two Fires” when Sam, Teal’c and Narim arrive at Narim’s home, and the electronic household manager/computer controller/whatever greets them in Sam’s voice and Sam looks like she’s struggling to figure out just how the heck to respond to discovering the full extent of Narim’s obviously embarrassing obsession, and has to try on several reactions at warp speed before one of them sticks. It’s just so… Sam – the speed with which her mind works, her innate compassion, and her imperfect ability to understand the ‘relationship thing.’

The scene in “Smoke and Mirrors,” when Sam and Barrett go see Leo and his boss, the arms brokers: Sam goes from ‘Oh God, more evidence against the Colonel’ to ‘wait a second – I have an idea’ to buying illegal arms in about 5 seconds flat. NeverSayDie!Sam in action. I also like the scene in this ep in the NID Secret Conference Room (we need one of those where I work – meetings are bad enough, but meeting crashing is both bonkers and worse ) when the alien mimic gizmo gives up, and Sam appears out of its disguise, and says “General Hammond sends his greetings.” The delivery is so perfect – like a knife so sharp no force at all is required to make it cut. Every time I hear that line it sounds more sinister, and I wonder how many people over the years have totally missed Sam’s sarcasm because she can deliver it with that deadly elegance. I also think Carter is NOT a person that can never be pissed off with impunity. Maybe it’s O’Neill’s sometimes dubious influence, or Jake Carter’s influence, or maybe Sam has always had that in her, but I suspect that she may forgive, but she never, ever forgets.

"Grace" when Sam asks Daniel “Were you this annoying when you were ascended?” There’s the woman who’s been wondering, painfully, for months, why the friend she loves as a brother couldn’t be bothered to put in an appearance on her behalf when he was cruising the universe as a squid-of-light, much less when she was about to die by deliquescence, abruptly wondering if she really *wanted* him to put in said appearance if *that* is what she’d have gotten thereby! I love it!

“Death Knell” – like “In the Line of Duty” I like all the bits of that ep with Sam in them, from the initial discussion about the layout at this Alpha Site, the power unit, and giving up coffee for Selmak, to Jacob hanging around just long enough to tell Sam he’s leaving, and why, and kiss her goodbye. If I didn’t have this ep on DVD, I hate to think of the beating the VCR would be taking. I ladore Sam in this ep – even battered and bloody, Sam never stops thinking, or trying, until she absolutely reaches the end of her rope. Sam ought to get some kind of medal/award/decoration for that whole situation! (Well, I think so. )
    ...a very cranky blog:http://simhavaktra.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz

I was actually wondering if anyone had the shots of them literally in front of the Stargate, right before they left the Eurondan planet. If you find them, you'll see their heads and nothing but blue behind them. Sorry, I see why that was confusing.
      Was this what you had in mind?

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
        (I think I'm in psycho-posting mode. My apologies. )

Thanks for the pics, tsax! Those are great. Feel free to keep 'em coming.

I think I remember reading a con report about how CJ and AT came out and started bugging MS on stage. According to the con report, it was pretty entertaining. On the DVD, do they just have a video/music montage of the events, or do they have actual segments of the con with the actors talking?
        For AT, MS, & CJ there is 20 mins. of convention footage. Then there is about 10 mins with them all on stage together with a motage at the end of everyone that was there last year - so also Don Davis, Peter Williams, Tony Amendola, Carmen Argenziano, Jonathan Glassner, & David Winning. Total runing time of the DVD is 1 hour 50 mins. There are also a few interview clips that were done behind stage that are new footage that was not seen at the convention. I have not watched the whole thing yet but I did watch AT segments which are really great.
        My View From The Peanut Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by tsaxlady
          For AT, MS, & CJ there is 20 mins. of convention footage. Then there is about 10 mins with them all on stage together with a motage at the end of everyone that was there last year - so also Don Davis, Peter Williams, Tony Amendola, Carmen Argenziano, Jonathan Glassner, & David Winning. Total runing time of the DVD is 1 hour 50 mins. There are also a few interview clips that were done behind stage that are new footage that was not seen at the convention. I have not watched the whole thing yet but I did watch AT segments which are really great.
          I'm still kinda tickled by the whole General Carter thing...

I mean, that won't happen 'til what, late season 10?

I know...I'm being conservative. Probably won't take too much longer than early season 10...

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
            I'm still kinda tickled by the whole General Carter thing...

I mean, that won't happen 'til what, late season 10?

I know...I'm being conservative. Probably won't take too much longer than early season 10...

lol, I think you'll need to add a dozen or so seasons onto that estimate

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
              I'm patient.

FCOL, I'm a Sam/Jack shipper...by definition, I HAVE to be patient.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
                I'm patient.

FCOL, I'm a Sam/Jack shipper...by definition, I HAVE to be patient.

Sure you keep waiting... it's not like anything is going to happen anyway

Comment

Sure you keep waiting... it's not like anything is going to happen anyway
                  *Pats delusional Aussie on the head...*

Yes dear...

Comment

GENERAL - maybe they are ready for season 15 already!?! [/center]
                    Thank you - looking good to me
                    Michael was onstage when someone decided to pay him a visit
                    http://img372.imageshack.us/img372/9...michael4td.jpg

Still Michael's time on stage but now AT & CJ have joined him
                    Question: What is your favorite alien weapon?
                    http://img372.imageshack.us/img372/8594/atcj34kz.jpg
                    http://img372.imageshack.us/img372/8796/atcj28fl.jpg
                    Thank you Thank you Thank you
                    Obviously hes referring to fractions here and he means 1/12 of a season

Dont forget to vote for Ubers vid everyone - http://www.uberamandafan.com/

She is currently in the lead with 66.67% lets keep it that way
                    gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
                    so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
                    love Torri

Comment

Originally posted by Dani76
                      First of all, thanks for bringing up another good topic that's worth some discussion.
                      Okay, here is my take on it: (Sorry if I am repeating thoughts that were already posted by others!)

I really, really enjoy Scientist Sam and also Soldier Sam. At the risk of sounding a bit corny - she has been a great inspiration to me. And that doesn't mean that I would ever be a great scientist or soldier - yeah right - what I mean is that the "personality of the character" and also the way AT is bringing Sam to life have inspired me.
                      It is hard to put into words what fascinates me the most about Sam. I think it is the way she gets excited about things, the way she is determined to get things done, the way she respects others, the way she stands up for anything and anybody she believes in. I could go on like that but I think you get the idea.

Now as to the focus on Sam's personal life: I enjoy it and even think that it is necessary, but only up to a certain point. I agree that it cannot/should not be addressed in only one episode and then be dropped again, because that is just not realistic at all. But sometimes it was a bit too much for my taste.
                      That being said I don't think that showing part of her private life weakened Sam at all. Far from it - for me she is even stronger and more interesting this way, more likeable, and more human. It rounds out her character, it shows that she is a fallible human being who is capable of amazing things. She is not perfect - okay, she is beautiful, she is smart and brilliant, she is a kick-butt soldier - but the price she is paying is that she has to sacrifice most of her private life. The fact that not everything is simply working out for her just makes her more likeable, not so "too perfect", if you know what I mean.
                      Also, what "Sam has taught me" is that anything is possible if you believe in it and if you are dedicated enough to work hard for it.

Lastly, to me she never just was a woman. To be honest, I have never seen her like that at all. Not before they showed more of her personal life and also not after.
                      But the fact that she is the woman she is, made it easier for me to identify with her. Plus, she is the first female character in a science fiction show who is one of the guys, who is taken seriously and respected.
                      Just MHO, hope I didn't bore you, but I think it's worth a good discussion.

Dani, I love this post. It's brilliant. This is, I feel, exactly what Samanda has been missing lately.

...deepspace is a PROUD MEMBER of the Sam's A Great Character Thread...

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

Yikesy. Well, it's not hard to tell Which Girl is in the lead in the video section of the Amanda Tapping contest . If I had the time I'd check out the other vids that haven't got any votes yet, just to see what our Mary Beth is competing with (though judging from the current vote count the word 'compete' doesn't seem to apply ), but for now I've voted for Uber, cause apart from the fact that she's a fellow Samandan, her video Rocks.

(edited to say that the song was a great choice, I now know why you were asking about songs earlier in the thread )
                        Last edited by deepspace; 07 September 2005, 04:13 AM.

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

IMO Colonel Carter is just as great now if not better than when she was Captain Carter. The years have only shown us how she is a complete character as in normal (as can be) and down to earth. She is a strong role model to all women in that she is not just a hard nose soldier, she is a caring rational person with brains too. As a shipper its easy to say that the whole incident was wrong, but it served to show us that Sam is human and can make mistakes too, we all go thruogh these stupid moments at some point. was completley against type, and I agree that the Sam we knew would have probably reacted more to the stalker incident. Cant wait to see where S9 is going to take her.

As for Amanda she is truely wonderful as Sam, and I can never Imagine anyone else ever playing her, it would just be wrong! Amanda's humour although sometimes very subtle and her facial expressions convey so much. I love how she portrays Sam (see comments above).

Sorry Im not very good at words so I hope this comes out ok, Just incase its not clear I LOVE SAM AND AMANDA

BTW have voted for Uber (Fab Video)

Comment

Originally posted by Somnium
                            IMO Colonel Carter is just as great now if not better than when she was Captain Carter. The years have only shown us how she is a complete character as in normal (as can be) and down to earth. She is a strong role model to all women in that she is not just a hard nose soldier, she is a caring rational person with brains too.

Amanda's humour although sometimes very subtle and her facial expressions convey so much. I love how she portrays Sam (see comments above).
                            Very well said - it came out great
                            gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
                            so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
                            love Torri

Comment

Uber, I think I've become addicted to your vid. I've just watched it for the tenth time in a row tonight. The song's so damn catchy too. Watching it again, I'm really appreciatiing how well you got the movement of the shots to fit with the music, just made the whole thing so smooth, and it flowed together brillaintly. Wow. (Hang on, didn't I say that before?) Wow. And hey, our name Samanda got in the credits!
                              One question... who's the girl watching the tv? (Hope you don't mind me asking?)

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

<quote>As the character of Sam Carter has been fleshed out over the years, as we've become more intimate with who she is, has your opinion of her changed? What I mean is, Sam is often lauded for the show's depiction of her as a strong soldier and scientist in earlier seasons. She is often criticized now for the show's depiction of her personal life and self-conflicts. Do you see her in a different light now (e.g. weaker, less successful) because her character has been expanded? Is she no longer the strong solider or scientist to you anymore? Is she now just a woman? And if so, is that a successful or unsuccessful depiction of Sam Carter?<quote>

I think we have seen sam change. in the first couple of seasons, she was very 'wow, this is fun!'. with the exception of Cassie, most of her actions and reactions were those of someone who was enjoying the adventure. a young person who lucked into a great and unimaginable job and was enjoying every nminute of it.

then came jolinar and the 'we're having fun' captain got an upclose and personal encounter and realized that things really were life and death and no one was untouchable.

I think that's when sam got to be a bit deeper. more introspective. she did still enjoy the adventure but she also knew that the stakes were higher than she'd ever imagined.

but also while this was going on, you can see her confidence grow. hammy and jack believed in her 10000% and they let her do her stuff and she grew up. the began to take and accept responsibility and leadership. Jack may have been her team leader, but if you watch her, she began to anticipate him more and more, knowing what needed to be done even before he said it.

as to her relationship bits, well i have to wonder if some of sam's issues mirror amanda's own. and i'm not doing this to pry into her personal life, but we know that, long about s6 to 7 to 8 AT began to want a family. she was doing the math and realizing that she was running out of time and made the choice that her career wasn't as important as a family. which mirrors sam in a way. Sam realizes that she needs to have something in her life more than work.

Grace was a catalyst and Pete was that something. Personally, i think sam came out of grace bound and determined to have a life no matter what and she jumped on the first opportunity. then, in her determination to make it work, she ignored things that she may normally have let bug her.

but, sam is always practical, and finally realized that it wouldn't work. Pete will always want more from her than she can give. there will always be a part of her life that she couldn't share with him and that issue would eventually tear them apart
                                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X