Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by startrekempress
    While we're - or rather, while *I'm* on the subject of Sam being too 'girly', has anyone noticed how much lipstick she was wearing in early seasons? 'Tokra, part 1' was just on last night and that was the first time I noticed . . . what kind of military woman wears makeup while on duty?

~Sarah
    I believe some military women on the forum have said some light makeup is ok. But I doubt they wear it in the field. I think I remember reading that AT was not very pleased with the lipstick they chose for her in season 1 but for a while didn't know she could object. I may have read that here, actually. Anyone remember that?

Comment

Originally posted by startrekempress
      While we're - or rather, while *I'm* on the subject of Sam being too 'girly', has anyone noticed how much lipstick she was wearing in early seasons? 'Tokra, part 1' was just on last night and that was the first time I noticed . . . what kind of military woman wears makeup while on duty?

~Sarah
      they can wear makeup, but it's supposed to be 'natural looking'....so more of an accentuation than true makeup.

but along the line of sam never having a bad hair day, the makeup is part and parcel of her looking good for tv (although to be honest, they'd have to work pretty hard to make her look bad)

i think the primping sometimes got on her nerves because she's said that the eps she likes the most are the ones where she gets to get dirty and stay dirty

I personally wasn't too fond of the red she wore in the earlier seasons, but the peach/pink that she wears now suits her better. it blends in more with her natural skin tones.

although, in many ways, teal'c wears more makeup than she does. dude really lays on the eye shadow
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
        I think I remember reading that AT was not very pleased with the lipstick they chose for her in season 1 but for a while didn't know she could object. I may have read that here, actually. Anyone remember that?
        The best I could dig up was
        Next up was Jan Newman. Once again Jan was delightful and diplomatic.

She opened the session by telling everyone she had been thinking about people's comments from the day before that Sam wore too much lipstick when she was out in the field. Jan realized over night that Sam probably carried a lipstick in her BDU's. There was much groaning from the entire audience at this stage, including those who had only come in for the Sunday.

Jan told us that Amanda is one of those actresses who doesn't mind looking beaten up and dirty when required. Jan thinks Amanda is rather unusual as she doesn't want to look beautiful and glamorous all of the time. She went on to talk about the "wonderful time" she had in the episode Chimera dressing Amanda up, doing her hair and make up to go with a cocktail dress Sam wears on her date with her new boyfriend. Sam was out of the heavy boots for some of this episode and into high heels.

Apparently the military are very strict about things on the show such as jewellery and hair. They have gotten more so as times goes on. The regular's hair is always monitored now, as are the extras. Even the length of the extras sideburns come in for scrutiny! An example of this was when Steve Williams was on the show for the first time. He initially had a beard, but the military advisors told her that an Air Force officer is never allowed to have a beard; they must always be clean shaven. They then emailed her the regulations for the moustache he was allowed to have for any future appearances. Steve was initially very upset when he heard this as he had his beard to "attract the girls". However from what Jan said, he was rather pleased with his new clean cut look after his second appearance!

In regard to jewellery, the only earrings allowed are little studs and there is not allowed to be anything around the necks of the cast apart from their dog tags. She mentioned that the Pentagon has visited the set a few times.
        The second bold bit is interesting considering the recent furore over AT's hair
        gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
        so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
        love Torri

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
          but along the line of sam never having a bad hair day, the makeup is part and parcel of her looking good for tv (although to be honest, they'd have to work pretty hard to make her look bad)
          I doubt that could be done short of throwing her into a hippos mud pit
          gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
          so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
          love Torri

Comment

Question for everyone -

I'm fairly new to the show and have watched a bunch of the older episodes. My favorite thing about the show is the team aspect of it, although I do enjoy the J/S stuff as well.

However, I was curious if there are any good moments or episodes dealing with Sam and Daniel's relationship or Sam and Teal'c's.

From what I can tell, Daniel's death and aftermath we get a good take for how Sam feels about Daniel, but are there any moments where we see Daniel and/or Teal'c expressing concern or just friendship for Sam? (Either with her or with each other)

The one episode that seemed very strange to me was 2001, where Sam tumbles down the ramp, obviously hurt her shoulder, and her entire team doesn't seem at all concerned.

Best,

Dems

Comment

Originally posted by Dems2006
              Sam and Teal'c's.
              Whats the name of the hugging ep?
              love Torri

Comment

paradise lost, heroes part 2?
                sigpic
                http://annorasponderings.tumblr.com/
                http://circumvented.tumblr.com/

Comment

Originally posted by qasimjavid
                  Are you sure that cake is safe - it looks radioactive to me
                  I literally laughed out loud at this, Qasim!!! Maybe the Jaffa use radioactive Splenda in their icing....
                  If you immediately know the ep stinks, the writers were cooked a long time ago

Member of Gategrrlz Gone Wild
                  proud Shore Leave 28 Attendee
                  Naughty Shore Leave 29 Attendee (sorry all but thanks for the rescue. many many thanks)

Carmen Argenziano Appreciation

Comment

Originally posted by qasimjavid
                    The best I could dig up was The second bold bit is interesting considering the recent furore over AT's hair
                    Just tried to green rep u again, but couldn't. Thanks for always staying on top of stuff, doing searches, and your active presence on this thread. Don't drool too much, but Sam sends you a kiss.

Goa'uld queen in possession of Daniel, Jonas and Martouf clones
                    Lovely signature courtesy of Admiral Q O and Skydiver.

Comment

Originally posted by WhatFateAlmondRoca
                      I literally laughed out loud at this, Qasim!!! Maybe the Jaffa use radioactive Splenda in their icing....
                      I thought you laughed at everything I said anyway

For Dems2006 see this: http://home.kendra.com/urania/starga...es_extra_2.htm
                      love Torri

Comment

Originally posted by jerin
                        Just tried to green rep u again, but couldn't. Thanks for always staying on top of stuff, doing searches, and your active presence on this thread. Don't drool too much, but Sam sends you a kiss.
                        *tries to wipe drool off keyboard* j/k
                        love Torri

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
                          I believe some military women on the forum have said some light makeup is ok. But I doubt they wear it in the field. I think I remember reading that AT was not very pleased with the lipstick they chose for her in season 1 but for a while didn't know she could object. I may have read that here, actually. Anyone remember that?
                          Doing a quick flyby while waiting for hubby, and just had to comment on this.

As some of y'all might know, I'm an Air Force spouse who hangs with military women, and I can tell y'all that most of the women I know who've been to Iraq didn't bother with make-up at all. They said there was no point to it. The heat melted it off; the wind eroded it off. They didn't even the bother with the little they're allowed.

One of my friends was different though. She made a point of putting on every bit she was allowed every morning, and carried a lipstick and a case of eye shadow with her. She told people that she was a Southern girl and it was part of her armor, and they mostly just smiled and shook their heads at her for the most part.
                          "Just smile and wave, boys...Just smile and wave."

Comment

Originally posted by PsychoPenguin
                            Doing a quick flyby while waiting for hubby, and just had to comment on this.

As some of y'all might know, I'm an Air Force spouse who hangs with military women, and I can tell y'all that most of the women I know who've been to Iraq didn't bother with make-up at all. They said there was no point to it. The heat melted it off; the wind eroded it off. They didn't even the bother with the little they're allowed.

One of my friends was different though. She made a point of putting on every bit she was allowed every morning, and carried a lipstick and a case of eye shadow with her. She told people that she was a Southern girl and it was part of her armor, and they mostly just smiled and shook their heads at her for the most part.
                            Cute story. ALthough I'm not southern, I feel the same way, especially when I know I'm about to ask a guy for something I want.

Goa'uld queen in possession of Daniel, Jonas and Martouf clones
                            Lovely signature courtesy of Admiral Q O and Skydiver.

Comment

Originally posted by PsychoPenguin
                              As I am not from the states I dont get all this southern stuff - could someone explain please?
                              love Torri

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                                they can wear makeup, but it's supposed to be 'natural looking'....so more of an accentuation than true makeup.

i think the primping sometimes got on her nerves because she's said that the eps she likes the most are the ones where she gets to get dirty and stay dirty

I personally wasn't too fond of the red she wore in the earlier seasons, but the peach/pink that she wears now suits her better. it blends in more with her natural skin tones.

although, in many ways, teal'c wears more makeup than she does. dude really lays on the eye shadow
                                Frankly, I am fracking sick of Sam "looking good for TV". As you said, it's almost impossible for her to look bad, so what's the fuss? I am glad her makeup has been toned down over the years . . . but if the writers want her to look "good" then they should save it for off-duty events. I don't think women should be required to "look good" just to be successful on TV. But that's some outmoded attitude, based on trying to attract the male demographic. Which is another issue all together.

But I suppose I can suffer as long as they don't get to the point of having her fix her makeup during briefings (which some shows have deigned to do).

And FYI: Teal'c doesn't wear makeup anymore. At least not that I can see.

~Sarah
                                Call me Sarah . . .
                                • Anti-plaid (pro P.L.A.I.D. )
                                • Songwriter, screencapper, canon shipper, and fan of minor characters
                                • Trek forever!

Comment

Working...
                                X