• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jerin
    I love school, but I miss sleep.
    Indeed when I start university I will have to get up early

You just reminded me of this from Behind the Gate:

(SECRET REVEALED: The glamorous life of a lead actress.)
    TAPPING: OK, well, you get up at four thirty, five o’clock in the morning. If you’re lucky, you get, like, a half hour workout at home and then you come to work. I’m here at six, and here in make-up, and on set at seven for rehearsal. Shoot til one, have a half hour for lunch, and then shoot til seven thirty, eight o’clock. Then I go home and I do homework for an hour, learning the next day’s lines. And then I go to bed, and then I get up at four thirty, five o’clock the next ... and that’s how glamorous it is.

It must be even more hectic nowadays with Olivia to look after aswell
    gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
    so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
    love Torri

Comment

Speaking of getting up early and glamorous lives.

I saw a neat article posted to the samandjack email list. It's a great scan of a TVZONE piece about Amanda's new life as a working mom, and her schedule with SG-1.

Cheers,

MG

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
      ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
        I saw a neat article posted to the samandjack email list. It's a great scan of a TVZONE piece about Amanda's new life as a working mom, and her schedule with SG-1.

MG
        Thanks
        gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
        so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
        love Torri

Comment

She says she gets up super-early now - shes amazing
          love Torri

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
            I agree with you, Sally. 100%. It doesn't make sense to me, either. It seems they're glossing over those issues in order to fast-forward to the "cool new season nine storyline" they had planned. But the characters are the meat of any good dramatic narrative (uh, television series). You can't ignore their personal backstories and expect each standalone episode to continue to hold interest for an audience.

I honestly think "TPTB" haven't truly decided one way or another with a lot of these issues. That's pretty sad. But I think that's what happened.
            BINGO minigeek! (to your last paragraph) I know I'm willing to go along for the ride and consider buying into the 'shiny new' things, but I also expected more backstory for all the changes to the old character's lives than we've been given, especially to Sam's (and Jack's) characters. I know I shouldn't expect much, but given what we use to see.... guess I need to work on dampening my hope that springs eternal?

Oh well. Tomorrow's Friday.... new show time!
            Convention Pix Shore Leave ('06 to '09), AT2, AT3, & AT4 ('06, '08, & '09), and Vancouver ('07)
            My SG fanfic! ..Click Here.

Comment

Originally posted by ShimmeringStar
              Oh well. Tomorrow's Friday.... new show time!
              No new ep this week because of labour day http://www.scifi.com/schedulebot/ind...-2005&feed_req
              love Torri

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                despite what the military folks keep telling me, i think that hank thought that cam would have the common sense not to grab a colonel and say 'dude, i want you on my team'...
                In this paragraph, are you referring to Sam? I would think it pretty logical for Landry to think Mitchell would want Sam on his team. Whether Landry thought Mitchell had a chance is probably a different story.

Or maybe Landry wanted Sam back on his "team", the SGC team, and thought Mitchell would be the best chance to get her. This might be farfetched, but consider:
                Landry wanted Sam back, but he couldn't offer her to be the leader because that's the job she already left for something more that she wanted to do. He could have "promoted" a lower SG team to SG-1, [and put Mitchell on that team, as promised] but the chances Sam would come back to work with them are even more remote. But by putting Mitchell in charge and making him form his own team, there was a chance. Mitchell and Sam are friends. We aren't sure how close they are, but this may have been Landry's only chance to bring Sam back: to have Mitchell try to talk her into it. That didn't particularly work, it took the Ori dilemma to bring her back, but it was worth a shot. This could also be why Landry let Mitchell have so much time putting his team together: Landry wanted Mitchell to succeed in getting Sam, and Daniel and Teal'c, on SG-1.

... Personally, i think cam is more than willing to let sam be the leader and not push to be her boss. I don't think there'l be a power struggle...unless, of course, the writers want to add that tension and make it a plot device
                I totally agree with this paragraph. Mitchell arrived thinking he was going to be working under Sam and was excited by the prospect. I don't think he's going to be pushing around the fact that he's the "leader" [which, I think he is/will be]. He'll be looking to Sam and the others for guidance and allowing them as much rope as they need to get the job done - until/if he needs to rein them in.

I also don't think Sam is going to be upset that Mitchell is in command of SG-1, for whatever reason, probably because she wants the extra time to work on her scientist stuff instead of paperwork. I think there will be times when she takes the leadership role and Mitchell will defer to her and there will be times, shown already, when she tells Mitchell what needs to be done and he reacts without question. We've already seen that dynamic and I believe it will continue that way.

Saying all this, I find it logical that the way things have gone within the show for Mitchell to be the leader. However, I also understand that it seems like a slight, but more for Amanda than Sam. I wonder how she feels about it?

Comment

Originally posted by ChillinTheMost
                  Mitchell arrived thinking he was going to be working under Sam and was excited by the prospect. I don't think he's going to be pushing around the fact that he's the "leader" [which, I think he is/will be]. He'll be looking to Sam and the others for guidance and allowing them as much rope as they need to get the job done - until/if he needs to rein them in.
                  Yes. I think you're absolutely right about this. They'll probably play it out this way too, if only so the actual issue itself doesn't become one which needs to be addressed (on screen). And I think, so far as characterization is concerned, the audience will buy into it since neither Mitchell nor Carter are egomanics. They probably will work well together, in that regard. But if proverbial push came to shove, I'd also wonder whose 'order' would be law? I doubt we'd see that kind of a conflict occur on screen, for that very reason.

MG

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
                  ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Originally posted by binkpmmc
                    <snip>

It will be interesting to see what they do in Babylon and whether they clarify who is in charge BEFORE Mitchell disappears because just from that short clip of Carter yelling "where the hell is Mitchell" it is clear she is in full command mode and will likely be for the whole ep after his disappearance and, surprise, surprise, they have Carter and Mitchell SEPARATED AGAIN. I think TPTB will continue to keep the command issue ambiguous and they will continue to keep Carter and Mitchell separated as much as possible to avoid it. They were separated in EDM and it was not at all clear, at least to me, that Mitchell was in charge even after the patch scene. <snip>

Speaking of Mitchell disappearing and being in peril once again in Babylon, I saw one of the Protoype photos and it looks as if Mitchell is once again in distress. Are TPTB that hard up for what to do with this character that they have to have him play the Damsel in Distress every other week? Is this supposed to make me like him or care about him or think he adds something to the team? <snip>
                    binkpmmc, you have spoken well again! I been wanting to "vent" about this issue for a few days and haven't had time to post. I'm making time because I need to speak my mind.

S9 "Babylon"
                    Spoiler:
                    For some time, some of us have had issue with Mitchell not adding to the storyline. He doesn't bring any element to the team that the team doesn't already have which was well said by binkpmmc. After reading the spoilers for Babylon, I have the sinking feeling that is what the episode is about. It is giving Mitchell that "extra" talent to bring to SG-1. Here is the line that got me.

"But when Jolan takes it upon himself to train Mitchell in Sodan fighting techniques, he discovers that they are kindred spirits."

Mitchell is going to be trained in the mythic fighting techniques so NOW he will be a super-trained warrior. Because Mitchell is so green, TPTB are developing his character so he will be just as experienced as the others. But I don't care what he learns in one season because he still is less qualified as Carter! /vent

Token ~

Comment

Originally posted by ChillinTheMost
                      In this paragraph, are you referring to Sam? I would think it pretty logical for Landry to think Mitchell would want Sam on his team. Whether Landry thought Mitchell had a chance is probably a different story.
                      qhat i meant was that landry trusted cam to choose lower ranking officers to be on his team. he wouldn't walk up to colonel reynolds and invite him over.

although, your other idea has some real merit. maybe landry wanted sg1 back (being sam, daniel and teal'c) and having already asked, knew that his hands were tied.
                      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

As much as I would love to see binkpmmc's idea come true for Sam to be 2IC of the SGC plus giving her enough time to be Soldier Sam and Scientist Sam (I know, I can't get enough - it has to be perfect ), I don't think that TPTB would do it. Well, you never know.
                        AGateFan had posted a response from JM to a question of when Mitchell will finally behave like a leader and I agree with everybody who said that JM"s answer did not necessarily imply that Mitchell will be THE leader of SG-1.
                        Further down the page, JM answered another question concerning Mitchell and leading and I really like JM's answer (again he doesn't answer the leading question either way):

Question:Why hasn't Mitchell been given more to do so far?...Right now, it's as if he's a supporting character and not the lead. What's going on with his character?

Joe's Answer: Mitchell is a terrific character, but the show is called Stargate SG-1 - so all of the characters (including Mitchell) should be given an opportunity to shine. Secondly, we had a lot of ground to cover in those first six episodes (with the introduction of new characters, a new villain, new dynamic). Check out upcoming episodes for more Mitchell.

In the end, I think that Sky is probably right with this:
                        I don't think there'l be a power struggle...unless, of course, the writers want to add that tension and make it a plot device
                        JM had also said earlier that Carter fans will be happy this season and I don't think he would say it if he didn't think so himself.
                        Plus, reading all the interviews of Amanda that have recenty been published, it sounds as if she is really happy with where the character is going this year (and she talks a lot about
                        Spoiler:
                        Scientist and Soldier Sam and getting back into the action - yeah

So, really, if Amanda is happy with her character this year, then it can't be that bad.
                        Anyways, just my thoughts, sorry it got this long.

Thank you, Skydiver

Comment

Remember this?
                          Originally posted by Dani76

AT: You're KIDDING, right?! THAT's all that's left of our opening credits.
                          Well, here is some good news:
                          Originally posted by JMallozzi
                          Good news. Brand new (long version) opening credit sequences for both shows will be airing with the back half of both series in January. Watch for 'em.
                          Can't wait to see what they did for Amanda this year - too bad we have to wait til January (Hey MajorSal, at least you can start a new countdown )

Thank you, Skydiver

Comment

Originally posted by Dani76
                            Can't wait to see what they did for Amanda this year - too bad we have to wait til January (Hey MajorSal, at least you can start a new countdown )
                            I'd guess they'll air next month when S9 starts showing in the U.K.

Comment

I decided a particular issue needed addressing (this is particularly pertinent to seasons 7 & 8):

Why do the writers feel the need to continually remind us that Sam is female? I mean, a boyfriend, cutesy clothes, the whole hair thing. It's just so . . . un-Stargate-y, IMO.

The hair thing - isn't it going too far? I mean, it's one thing for her to put her hair up for a date or whatever, but what's with the messiness factor? Um, what happened to military cuts? I liked the style in CotG - why couldn't she stick with it? Don't tell me she has no time for haircuts - she has time to get engaged, FCOL.

I am sorry if that sounds too rant-y . . . no doubt it has been mentioned many a time here . . . but I thought I might as well throw in my 2c. The point is - can't we see that she's a woman without having it shoved in our face?

Hey, I am not opposed to Sam having relationships . . . quite the opposite. But the way it was treated seems like it was intended to 'differentiate' her from the other characters - hey, have there ever been episodes entirely focused on the love lives of the other characters? Didn't think so.

~Sarah, who will try to bring up a less frivolous issue next time
                              Call me Sarah . . .
                              • Anti-plaid (pro P.L.A.I.D. )
                              • Songwriter, screencapper, canon shipper, and fan of minor characters
                              • Trek forever!

Comment

Originally posted by startrekempress
                                hey, have there ever been episodes entirely focused on the love lives of the other characters? Didn't think so.

~Sarah, who will try to bring up a less frivolous issue next time
                                The eps with Teal'c/Shau'nac and Teal'c/Ishta were pretty focused (not entirely but neither were the Sam/Other eps)
                                love Torri

Comment

Working...
                                X