No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay I'm going to post this here because I saw the question that Sally asked Joe in his thread. This is an article from TVZone #64 Special - It is part of the article on Amanda Tapping

For Pete's Sake
    Sadly, Sam Carter will not be hanging out this season with her now ex-boyfriend, Pete Shanahan (David DeLuise). She ended their romance last year, which Tapping feels was necessary, both for the show and her character.

"I think it was important that we explored Sam's ability to love and be loved and to have a fuly-functional adult relationship," says the actress. "We may have gone too far, though. After a while I began to wonder, 'What does this have to do with SG-1?' As an actress, I loved playing it because it was a joy working with David DeLuise. Story wise, I felt enough already with Sam's unrequited love [for Jack O'Neill] and the question of will she or won't she marry Pete.

"As far as how she ended it with Pete, it seemed a little cagey, and I wasn't very proud of Sam for that. I am proud that she decided to stop stringing Pete along, but she could have been a bit more honest about it. That's OK, though, I play a Human being and Humans have flaws. With matters of the heart, it's hard for Sam to be totally honest, and I believe it's because she truly doesn't understand matters of the heart as much as she may think."
    My View From The Peanut Gallery

Comment

The line up for next weeks marathon has been posted we will get the following:

Lost City - Pt 1
      Lost City - Pt 2
      Window Of Opportunity
      A Matter Of Time

See Morjana's post for more information on times.

Well I did vote for three of these episodes - Lost City 1 & 2; 2010
      My View From The Peanut Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by tsaxlady
        The line up for next weeks marathon has been posted we will get the following:

Lost City - Pt 1
        Lost City - Pt 2
        Window Of Opportunity
        A Matter Of Time

See Morjana's post for more information on times.

Well I did vote for three of these episodes - Lost City 1 & 2; 2010
        1969???

1969 over FOOTHOLD? 1969 over IN THE LINE OF DUTY?????

This is a travesty for all of Samanda.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
          1969???

1969 over FOOTHOLD? 1969 over IN THE LINE OF DUTY?????

This is a travesty for all of Samanda.

1969 has Hippie!Sam! Its a great episode And Matter of Time and 2010 are good episodes for Sam too

Comment

I'm a rather new Stargate fan and not one for posting. However, this episode has so turned me off of the series that I don't know if I will continue to watch, and I'm rather surprised at the blase reaction on this particular forum.

It defies all possible logic for the character of Sam Carter to rejoin SG1 in anything other than the leadership position. For all the vaunted talk of military advisors, this is something that would never, in a million years, happen in the real military. Can anyone imagine an instance where a person is the Captain of a ship, goes away for awhile only to return to the ship as the 1st officer? It's insane. Adding insult to injury, the writers made a big deal about Sam gaining command last season -- now they take it away? There is no character logic to that process, the only logic is that Sci-Fi/the writers of SG1 couldn't write for a female leader. It's not only insulting to the character, it's also insulting to the fans and the actress and the show as a whole.

Comment

I agree with you 100% Dems2006. It really is unbelievable in my opinion, that a guy with zero experience through the gate and with zero off-world travel (a guy who never even SAW a Stargate before this) should be in charge of this team and it is an insult to Carter and to Carter fans (at least some of them) that she has been demoted (yes I see it as a demotion no matter how they try to sugar coat it) to 2IC. I guess it could change but I doubt it at this point. I am so fed up with this I even asked Mallozzi what Mitchell's purpose is - what he brings to the team that was not there when it was Sam, Daniel and Teal'c cuz in my eyes he brings zippo to the party except that wide-eyed "gee this is cool" giddy crap which, also IMO, indicates he should not be the leader of this team. Oh well - disappointment reigns for me and not a surprise since that is basically how it has been for me since mid season 7 - no wonder I could care if I miss the show or not, I full forwarded through most of BH and EDM anyway - found them almost painfully boring. Guess the Honeymoon is really over now.

Comment

Wow, I thought Sam seemed more in charge in this ep then she seemed in any ep in Season 8. There was a pretty good scene of her giving orders to the NID and Daniel. But the entire ep I had the feeling she was the most who knew what was going on and the most in command (including Landry) IMHO.

It does happen in the military that a less experienced person gets command. In fact, it almost always happens because the Sgts and Mst Sgts are almost always more experienced then the officers. If Mitchell outranks Carter then I could see it kinda happening... they were going to put Makepeace on the team over Carter back in Shades of Grey and they were going to replace Shep with someone less experience as head of Atlantis. Its all politics and rank. Whats odd about this situation is Mitchell does not appear to outrank her in any significant way (may have a little more time in grade) and there is no political reason anyone wouldnt want Sam in charge. Plus Sam has wwwwaaaayyy more experience and the entire team is made up of civilians anyway....civilians that already respect Sam.

Oh well whatcanyoudo. Sam not being in charge does make me think less of TPTB but the show has still been good. My enjoyment of the show is not contingent on everything Sam I just want a good TEAM show and to have Sam be a valuable member of the team if not leader. I find it hard to think that anyone can argue the fact that Sam was always the best 2IC in the history of the Military (at least on TV). So maybe they couldnt find anyone as good at playing 2IC so they went back to her. Though I find it hard to imagen her calling Mitchell "sir" all the time hmmmmm. (on an slightly unrelated note, I am really feeling Teyla as a 2IC on Atlantis these days, maybe Amandas giving Rachel some tips. )
                Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Ex Deus Machina
                  Spoiler:
                  I loved the “patches” scene in Friday night’s episode. No dialog.

Cam makes the offer of the SG1 patch.
                  Sam nodes a shy yes.
                  So, it’s off with the old and
                  On with new.

Looks like Sam is happy to be back and Cam is delighted (and probably relieved) she accepted her new patch.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y92/samfan/Patches.jpg
                  Last edited by SamFan31; 27 August 2005, 09:19 AM.

Comment

A few more caps from EDM....

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y92/samfan/EDM1.jpg
                    Last edited by SamFan31; 27 August 2005, 09:22 AM.

Comment

homage montage "to Sam". hope you enjoy

If you immediately know the ep stinks, the writers were cooked a long time ago

Member of Gategrrlz Gone Wild
                      proud Shore Leave 28 Attendee
                      Naughty Shore Leave 29 Attendee (sorry all but thanks for the rescue. many many thanks)

Carmen Argenziano Appreciation

Comment

I enjoyed last night's ep. In addition to Sam there were lots and lots of
                        Spoiler:
                        sharp dressed Baal clones.
                        No THAT's my idea of an ep!!! LOL

Seriously, I feel like the season just started and those other eps were like....I don't know how to describe it - I just feel like the season started last night.
                        Last edited by Skydiver; 27 August 2005, 09:44 AM. Reason: added spoiler space
                        If you immediately know the ep stinks, the writers were cooked a long time ago

Member of Gategrrlz Gone Wild
                        proud Shore Leave 28 Attendee
                        Naughty Shore Leave 29 Attendee (sorry all but thanks for the rescue. many many thanks)

Carmen Argenziano Appreciation

Comment

Originally posted by sg-1fanintn
                          Glad to see everyone enjoyed tonight's ep. I didn't get in from dinner until after it started, so I'm watching the 10pm repeat.

But, the Royal Researcher has big news for Samanda tonight (although I didn't research it---it just came to me by happy fate). I got a message from Atteria's husband today! It was there when I logged in from work at lunch.....but the forum was down then! So here it is! It's not all good news, but I felt encouraged by it. And I wrote him back immediately, asking him to keep us posted, so I am optimistic that he will.

Here's the message:

Thank you for writing and please thank everyone else for being so kind. Nikki is back in the hospital, with another complication from the surgery. Things have not been going well. But the docs are still giving us hope and she's a real fighter.

I'll tell her you wrote and that everyone in Samanda is pulling for her. I know she will be so happy you haven't forgotten her. She talks about all of you so often and how she misses you. I hope someday she will be strong enough to return.

Thank you again. You have all been so wonderful, especially you. I'll be leaving soon to visit, so I'll be sure to give her your messages.

Thankyou for posting news about Atteria, please pass on my best to her and hubby and will continue to pray that all will be well for her.
                          ......TARA......

Comment

As to leading SG-1:

First of all, it seems like nothing has been decided yet. In the beginning Landry said that Mitchell was here to lead SG-1 but that was when none of the other team members were even part of SG-1 and Sam did not want to come back.

Secondly, if anyone seemed to be in charge yesterday than it was Sam IMHO rather than Mitchell, who just pretty much followed Teal'c around.

As to the "name calling", right now he calls her Sam, she calls him...well I don't know exactly...it was Cameron in Avalon I...and she was calling for "Mitchell" in the promo for Babylon, so who knows. However, if she would start calling him "Sir" I would also have a big problem - that would just not fit and it wouldn't be right.

Now, I thought, I read somewhere that they would come up with a solution all of the fans will like. (Anybody remembers that too, ) But maybe that was just wishful thinking on my part or one of JM's attempts to trick us.

All that being said, I would love to see Sam in charge just because I think she's the right one for the job and because that side of her has never been really explored - so it could be very interesting and something that I would enjoy. I could also deal with an undecided "both of them are somehow in charge" kinda deal, better than nothing IMHO.

Lastly, one thing we should also consider - it might well be that Amanda just did not want such a heavy load this year and that they had to come up with a solution that would help her be a full-time mom and a full-time actress. I mean, 6 weeks after giving birth, back on set for 15 hour days. I am just so amazed and thankful to AT that she took on that challenge at all and for that matter I am also grateful to TPTB for being such a familial group and letting her bring Olivia to the set with her.

Long story short - I am glad Sam is back, I thank AT for giving us another year of Sam, and I hope that they work out a deal that does not end up in Sam calling Mitchell "Sir" - everything else I can live with.

P.S. Sorry for this rant.

Thank you, Skydiver

Comment

i have mixed feeligns on last night's eps

Spoiler:

expected that gerak would be a baddie, bit disappointed that they took such an obvious stance, but hey, like i said, i expected it. triple bonus points if they manage to give gerak some depth and redeem him a bit instead of having him be such a cliche

as interesting as the multiple baals is....i did sorta cringe at the whole clone thing. dude, how did they grow them so fast? and this means that baal will have more lives than apophis. now this is good from the eye candy pov, however it too reeks way too high on the cliche meter

daniel ws enjoyable last night. and i liekd seeing tealc's intellignent side. it's a nice break from the 'silent muscle' he usually plays

sam was, of course, precious adn i was very glad to see her.
                              the patch 'ceremony' was cute, as was the 'moving in' bit....and i liked her and barrett talking

still haven't figured out how they got away with beaming out a whole frellig building, not to mention no one noticing a teltac flitting around the planet

it's definitely not the best episode ever, it's got a few too many predicitible cliches for that. it is a welcome break from all the Ori crud and i could look at the dakara paintings/art work all day.....whoever made that is a true artist, it's gorgous!!

to me, it shows coop's 'fine' hand...predicitible, wiht moments of enjoyment but no real depth or emotion.

ooh, and look for the 'cost cutting' measures....how many times they enter/exit the gate but we never really see the event horizon, just the nice cheap lighting effects
                              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
                                spoilers for s9's ex deus machina

Spoiler:
                                i LOVED sam's outfit when she beamed into the building. it reminded me of outfits scully used to wear. (i hope someone screen caps a scene of sam in this outfit)
                                Spoiler:
                                's gone and Sam's sense of style returns.

http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/8370/313ym.jpg
                                http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/5788/664vr.jpg
                                http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/3443/699de.jpg
                                http://img368.imageshack.us/img368/2387/724tu.jpg
                                http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/7202/732ao.jpg
                                http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/2903/742mc.jpg
                                http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/7742/779cx.jpg

Comment

Working...
                                X