No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And thank you to everyone who congratulated me on my success as a blabbermouth.

1800 is doable my friends!

Your custom Sam Avatar's are screaming your name!!!

Wait. I'm confused...did I choose an Avatar from Icon or an Icon from Avatar...

hmmm....

Last edited by Uber; 17 August 2005, 12:49 AM.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
      Yep. Very cool! Now, excuse my ignorance, but where do you guys find such clear pictures?!
      Well it's quite easy actually.

First, we find crappy pictures. Then, we open them up Photoshop CS and do a lot of color correcting/brightening, adding contrast...etc.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

I typically would agree that that's a broad generalization and leave it at that. But, for cryin' out loud, you've got a point!

Some of the more vocal (and less - how shall we say it? - crafty) fans downright say that they don't like Sam solely because she takes away from Daniel's "limelight."

Oh yeah, and because her smile (and hair) recently are TOTALLY against Air Force Regulations.

Sorry, but I'm not a fan of ANY character having a "limelight." That's dangerous, crazy talk. Having all characters be equally "proactive" as a unit, however? Well, to quote a good man: "That's what I'm talkin' about."
        I forget where I read it or maybe heard it, but at one point the AF did say something about AT's hair (season 4 perhaps?). But then, I read somewhere else that the AF is more concerned with the placement of the ribbons on the uniforms. They did have a fit with someone who had long hair because it wasn't pulled back.

I, personally, don't see an issue with the hair. It looks rather nice--a style that I would like to achieve someday. Perhaps AmberMoon could explain it better, as she used to be in the USAF.

I'm so excited Sam's back!! Yay!! Let's (in AT's own words) up the body count! "Oy vey" here she comes!
        sigpic

Comment

I typically would agree that that's a broad generalization and leave it at that. But, for cryin' out loud, you've got a point!

Some of the more vocal (and less - how shall we say it? - crafty) fans downright say that they don't like Sam solely because she takes away from Daniel's "limelight."

Oh yeah, and because her smile (and hair) recently are TOTALLY against Air Force Regulations.

Sorry, but I'm not a fan of ANY character having a "limelight." That's dangerous, crazy talk. Having all characters be equally "proactive" as a unit, however? Well, to quote a good man: "That's what I'm talkin' about."
          Originally posted by ChevronSeven
          I, personally, don't see an issue with the hair. It looks rather nice--a style that I would like to achieve someday. Perhaps AmberMoon could explain it better, as she used to be in the USAF.

*de-lurking*
          Air Force Instructions 36-2903 DRESS AND PERSONAL APPEARANCE OF AIR FORCE PERSONNEL
          , Table 1.4 state (direct quote) "Hair (W) will not be worn in an extreme or fad style or violate safety requirements. Will not extend in length on all sides below an invisible line drawn parallel to the ground at the bottom edge of the shirt collar at the back of the neck. Will not exceed 3 inches in bulk or prevent proper wear of headgear. Will not include hair ornaments such as ribbons or jeweled pins." Can't tell much from the oh-so-brief shot of AT in the trailers...but I don't see AT's hair exceeding the personal appearance standards of the US Air Force.

P.S. For those interested in the US Air Force Instructions, go to http://www.e-publishing.af.mil/....Personnel appearance and relationships are under Publication Series 36.

Comment

Originally posted by AmberMoon
            [/font]

*de-lurking*
            Air Force Instructions 36-2903 DRESS AND PERSONAL APPEARANCE OF AIR FORCE PERSONNEL
            , Table 1.4 state (direct quote) "Hair (W) will not be worn in an extreme or fad style or violate safety requirements. Will not extend in length on all sides below an invisible line drawn parallel to the ground at the bottom edge of the shirt collar at the back of the neck. Will not exceed 3 inches in bulk or prevent proper wear of headgear. Will not include hair ornaments such as ribbons or jeweled pins." Can't tell much from the oh-so-brief shot of AT in the trailers...but I don't see AT's hair exceeding the personal appearance standards of the US Air Force.

P.S. For those interested in the US Air Force Instructions, go to http://www.e-publishing.af.mil/....Personnel appearance and relationships are under Publication Series 36.
            Thanks for posting this, Ambermoon. Any regulations about smiles in there? I did see a post to the effect that Sam's smiles were too girly-girl and violated Air Force regulations. Oh, please.

My LJ

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
              it is in a way. they like another character. which is totally cool. however, in the mindset of some to like one means that you MUST dislike another or, in my interpretation, be jealous of the other character because the other one is seen to be a 'threat' to the preferred character.

and, iirc, many of the folks who hate the stuffins out of sam happen to also have hated the stuffins out of jonas. anyone and anything that is a threat to their preferred character, again speaking in BROAD generalizations here being that many of the sam haters prefer daniel, well anyone and anything that threatens their daniel is 'bad'
              Yup, like I said, irrational. Like there's not enough space in the living room for multiple terrific characters.

Thanks to you all for the wonderful warm welcomes and gobs of green jello! I thought I'd share a piccy of the youngest Sam fan in our house:

"i'm going to analyze deep space telemetry when I grow up"
              If you immediately know the ep stinks, the writers were cooked a long time ago

Member of Gategrrlz Gone Wild
              proud Shore Leave 28 Attendee
              Naughty Shore Leave 29 Attendee (sorry all but thanks for the rescue. many many thanks)

Carmen Argenziano Appreciation

Comment

Originally posted by AmberMoon
                [/font]

*de-lurking*

THANK YOU!!!! I knew you'd have the answer for me.
                sigpic

Comment

Uber, you do your name justice, you are truly an UBER fan! Congratulations to you.

Naughty Shore Leave 29 Attendee (sorry all but thanks for the rescue. many many thanks)

Comment

OK, now I have read this complaint more than once recently and while I can somewhat understand her hair being against Air Force Regulations, can someone please explain this, as Jack would say, DUMBASS deal with her smile being against regulation?

How the hell can a smile be against regulation? I just don't get it. You mean to tell me that the USAF actually has rules about being happy and showing it? What is there a protocol that specifically states that a smile can only be so many milimeters in diameter? Or maybe her teeth are too white? This is the type of utter feces that totally irks me. If you have a legitimate complaint fine. More power to you. But I hate to tell ya, complaining about something like this is truly pathetic. It makes me wonder what sort of lives these people lead that their lives are so meaningless that they have nothing better to do than to sit and complain about someone else's smiling. Good Grief.

I mean this would be like saying Daniel's eyes are against regulation for being too blue, or Teal'cs arms for being too large, or Jack's scar for being too noticable.

/rant

Kat
                    Last edited by ForeverSg1; 17 August 2005, 05:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                      OK, now I have read this complaint more than once recently and while I can somewhat understand her hair being against Air Force Regulations, can someone please explain this, as Jack would say, DUMBASS deal with her smile being against regulation?

How the hell can a smile be against regulation? I just don't get it. You mean to tell me that the USAF actually has rules about being happy and showing it? What is there a protocol that specifically states that a smile can only be so many milimeters in diameter? Or maybe her teeth are too white? This is the type of utter feces that totally irkes me. If you have a legitimate complaint fine, more power to you, but I hate to tell ya, complaining about something like this is truly pathetic. It makes me wonder what sort of lives these people lead in order to have nothing else so important in their life than to sit and complain about someone else smiling. Good Grief.

/rant

Kat
                      Woooo! Flame on!

Sometimes I wish this forum wasn't so heavily moderated (which is not a bad thing) because there'd be more than a few ppl getting a piece of my mind

*Gives Forever a nice Sam/Hotdog pic to calm her down*

Omg, its Sam and a Hotdog!!!

I should probably get some sleep...

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1

I mean this would be like saying Daniel's eyes are against regulation for being too blue, or Teal'cs arms for being too large, or Jack's scar for being too noticable.

/rant

Kat
                        LOL kat, I agree. I mean (S9
                        Spoiler:
                        are these the same people who think its 'regulation' to have a civvy doc as the top sawbones on base and able to remove the base commander? And its just happens to be the base commander's daughter???? Estranged bitter pee-oed daughter???
                        Are the people complaining about Sam's smile also commenting on these other things? Hmmm??? Hmmm??? (my best Bra'tac impression). Not to mention in S9 the SGC has
                        Spoiler:
                        taken up with a a conniving thief of intergalactic proportions, going on adventures with her instead of throwing her in the brig for making off with Promethius?
                        . I think not!!!! I mean, we're talking about going WAAAY WAAY off the beaten path as far as suspension of disbelief goes....

I 'comisery'-ate with you Kat, and appreciate having a place to rant without subsequently being crucified in reds.

And to think, I could be packing for the plane I'm supposed to catch in less than 4 hours.....

Comment

Originally posted by NearlyCircular
                          Yippee! Not only is Sam back this week, but the new Stargate SG-1 Official Magazine came in the mail today and has an interview with Amanda!

What do you want to see happening for the character during season nine?

I just feel like the strength of this character and the joy of playing this character is the fact that she's a strong, capable, smart and powerful woman. I love the fact that there are so many sides to her -I loved the Pete side, because I loved working with David Deluise, and the whole 'Jack and Sam' thing was fun to play at times and a bit of a pain at other times. We were exploring all the different sides of her, which was great. Now we know that she's capable of love and she's capable of hurt and all these things to do with her heart and soul. We know all that, so now lets get back to what made her the character that she is! So I think it will be interesting. As long as I don't become exposition girl -because that's what I was for a while. It was like, "Okay, we need to explain what's going on and I'm going to tell you scientifically." [Laughs] I want to have a pro-active role on the team. She's back, so let her be back. Let her be pro-active. We know enough about her backstory now. It's there, it's settled. We don't have to show her breaking up with her boyfriend and making eggs in the morning. It's time to go back to the old Carter. I was starting to feel a bit that the whole angst over Jack was weakening her, and I think the fans were finding that too. We're going to go back to what SG-1 was about, with a new vigor.
                          Amen to that. I'm glad she feels what her fans feel.
                          Thanks so much, NC, for putting this up. I so love how kind everyone on this thread is, sharing all the AT/Sam info. On my student budget, the SG-1 mag is not something I would get. So it's great to still be able to read about it. Lys is being kind enough to send me the DVD extras. You Samandans rock!

Goa'uld queen in possession of Daniel, Jonas and Martouf clones
                          Lovely signature courtesy of Admiral Q O and Skydiver.

Comment

Originally posted by WhatFateAlmondRoca
                            Hi, all:

I finally decided to check out this thread. You all seem like quite a family here. With respect to Sam haters: its my humble opinion that the irrational will never win, and it takes an irrational person to hate Sam, so there. Er, I mean, with all due respect yadda etc. et al!!!
                            Congratulations on 200 posts! Welcome to the thread. OMG! Now we have 2 threads in common, including the Jonas/CN one. These are the 2 threads I keep up with. So happy to have you aboard.
                            http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...r/gracehad.jpg She is so...so cute! My cuteness radar is going overboard. May I ask if she's your daughter/sister? Where are you going in 4 hours?

Congratulations to pain in the mikta, ubersg-1fan for 1,800 posts, chocdoc on 300 posts, nikkirose on 1,100 posts!

Originally posted by chocdoc
                            And also her line about the whole Jack angst weakening her. I am not a pro or anti sam/jack shipper. My view is that the writers wrote too much angst for Sam for Jack in season 8, and it was too one-sided. Sam had too many scenes starting with Lost City and then in season 8 where she tried to start conversations with Jack and was cut off. It did make her look weak to me. NOT the fact that sam and jack have feelings for each other, but that she literally tried to talk with him several times and it seemed very uncomfortable. Or maybe I should be thinking that Jack was the one who looked weak. If the writers had written a really angsty scene for Jack in the same way to balance it out, then it might not have been so bad, but here is where the male writing staff had trouble! Now, the later scenes in threads with sam/jack revealed that jack feels deeply about her, but that was a long time coming in the season. I really don't think the character of Sam would keep coming to Jack trying to talk like she did.
                            I couldn't agree with you more. This is why I stopped being a Sam/Jack shipper. Being a woman who's been in a similar situation, I hated the way Jack was ignoring her. Sam's too strong to put up w/ such crap.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...erenhanced.jpg
                            Astro, thanks for the blue gello. Yummy!
                            Last edited by jerin; 17 August 2005, 07:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by WhatFateAlmondRoca
                              LOL kat, I agree. I mean (S9
                              Spoiler:
                              are these the same people who think its 'regulation' to have a civvy doc as the top sawbones on base and able to remove the base commander? And its just happens to be the base commander's daughter???? Estranged bitter pee-oed daughter???
                              Are the people complaining about Sam's smile also commenting on these other things? Hmmm??? Hmmm??? (my best Bra'tac impression). Not to mention in S9 the SGC has
                              Spoiler:
                              taken up with a a conniving thief of intergalactic proportions, going on adventures with her instead of throwing her in the brig for making off with Promethius?
                              . I think not!!!! I mean, we're talking about going WAAAY WAAY off the beaten path as far as suspension of disbelief goes....

I 'comisery'-ate with you Kat, and appreciate having a place to rant without subsequently being crucified in reds.

And to think, I could be packing for the plane I'm supposed to catch in less than 4 hours.....
                              A giant YAY! Who the heck wrote that her smile was against regs? Give me a break!!!!! You are soooooo right about the fact that a
                              Spoiler:
                              "civvy" doc would NEVER be assigned to a super secret project like the SGC, ESPECIALLY considering her relationship to the head of it. Come on, talk about suspension of belief AND military regs. Jack would NEVER have assigned her,
                              what were the writers thinking. Guess they weren't......

As usual AlmondRoca, you hit the nail(s) right on the head! BTW, where are you going???? I hope you won't be away for long. I'm going to be away for a while stating late next week.

AND, I still have not received my mag, so thank you NearlyCircular, for the clip from the interview. It was fabulous! I'm REALLY looking forward to Friday, the real start of season 9!!!!
                              On fighting:
                              Farrah: "A swordsman does not fear death, if he dies with honor."
                              Dr. Who: "Then he's an idiot."

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
                                I am really hoping they have written a good scene between Sam & Vala.How many hours is it now til AMANDA RETURNS? I can tell you I'll be triple checking my VCR after the taping mixup a couple of weeks back.
                                I feel your pain on VCR screw-ups. It happened to me, & I thought I'd lose it. That's why I'm not taking any chances and set the VCR to record both at 8pm & 11pm and will be home for the 11pm show. If someone asks me to hang out late on Fri night, I have to answer, "sorry, I have to watch TV." Ha-ha.

Comment

Working...
                                X