Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sg-1fanintn
    Round 52 of the Fave Episodes Tournament has begun. Frozen was eliminated in Round 51.

Entity, a very Sam-centric, is at #2, and is in real danger of being voted off.

You can make a difference! Please keep voting! Catch up on the tourney (and which eps have been eliminated so far) here: http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...54#post4432454

Be careful! If you accidentally vote for an ep that has already been eliminated, none of your votes will count in that round.

Thank you!
    omg, Entity was such a great Sam-centered ep! That and the episode where she became Jolinor, brilliantly acted epsiodes for AT. We need more of those S9 (10).

*runs down to vote*
    TEAM SG1 LIVES

Comment

Okay, I apologize for this post, but I couldn't help myself. If I am supposed to edit this, I certainly will.

I think of Gateworld as a really great forum because there are alot of diverse opinions, and people in general are respectful of each other. I think the mods (such as our own Skydiver!) do a great job here, and i really appreciate that! I like GW, (only post here), and enjoy lurking on other forums which, for the most part, also have a nice range of opinions. You can count on all the characters having fans, and no character fanbase dominates. It seems representative of alot of diverse opinions.

Okay, so I've gone just lurking at the new MGM forum for awhile (maybe it's a month old), and I have to say that unfortunately it is really distressing. There is a group of not so fond of Sam fans, many from another particular forum, who are just slamming Sam and sometimes AT. They are doing this in numerous threads (and in addition pushing their favorite character). And of course you may imagine that some are making it sound like everyone loves Vala and would like to see her replace Sam. Actually, some just say get Dr. Lee to replace her. There are some poor souls on there being blown away by the Carter hate. I think some members just get out of there!

I know the best option is to ignore it, but let me just say that it is really bad. I've told some Samandans about it, and it is probably best to ignore, but it is really distressing.

I completely realize that that fans can say what they want---that they are doing nothing wrong. It's just that their dominating presence on this new forum for MGM is overwhelming, particularly because of their strong dislike for Sam.

Any advice? Okay, yes, perhaps I should never lurk there again---in fact I was avoiding it for awhile and then I went there tonight looking for a train wreck!!! One of the Samandans advised me to write a letter to MGM. Also, I guess MGM may not even pay attention to these hostile views. When you look at most other forums, most fans look forward to Sam returning, so I should just focus on this. And why is this so distressing to me? In the scheme of things, it really isn't important!!! Ahhhhhhhhhhhh.

Sorry about this post because it is not light-hearted.

Comment

Anti-Sam people. Bah - those aren't true Stargate fans IMHO. If they're going to jump all over a character who had a place on the team mentioned the credits (hello) since the beginning, and then say that a person who's been on the show for an overall time of what, 120 minutes or less should take that person's place, I say, "well who t f are you?? Not a Stargate fan I assume because it seems that a real fan would know a little more about a character than to bash him/her the second someone else pops on that they personally like more.

Still though, even if stargate was a new show to me but I knew, say, CB from farscape, I wouldn't be begging that the only other leading female character be replaced by a character CB would portray. That's just a tad rude ...I think...

Of all the forum's I've been too, GW stands out in the sun compared to so many.
        TEAM SG1 LIVES

Comment

Originally posted by chocdoc
          Okay, I apologize for this post, but I couldn't help myself. If I am supposed to edit this, I certainly will.

I think of Gateworld as a really great forum because there are alot of diverse opinions, and people in general are respectful of each other. I think the mods (such as our own Skydiver!) do a great job here, and i really appreciate that! I like GW, (only post here), and enjoy lurking on other forums which, for the most part, also have a nice range of opinions. You can count on all the characters having fans, and no character fanbase dominates. It seems representative of alot of diverse opinions.

Okay, so I've gone just lurking at the new MGM forum for awhile (maybe it's a month old), and I have to say that unfortunately it is really distressing. There is a group of not so fond of Sam fans, many from another particular forum, who are just slamming Sam and sometimes AT. They are doing this in numerous threads (and in addition pushing their favorite character). And of course you may imagine that some are making it sound like everyone loves Vala and would like to see her replace Sam. Actually, some just say get Dr. Lee to replace her. There are some poor souls on there being blown away by the Carter hate. I think some members just get out of there!

I know the best option is to ignore it, but let me just say that it is really bad. I've told some Samandans about it, and it is probably best to ignore, but it is really distressing.

I completely realize that that fans can say what they want---that they are doing nothing wrong. It's just that their dominating presence on this new forum for MGM is overwhelming, particularly because of their strong dislike for Sam.

Any advice? Okay, yes, perhaps I should never lurk there again---in fact I was avoiding it for awhile and then I went there tonight looking for a train wreck!!! One of the Samandans advised me to write a letter to MGM. Also, I guess MGM may not even pay attention to these hostile views. When you look at most other forums, most fans look forward to Sam returning, so I should just focus on this. And why is this so distressing to me? In the scheme of things, it really isn't important!!! Ahhhhhhhhhhhh.

Sorry about this post because it is not light-hearted.

i know who you're talking about, chocdoc; i read them talking about going to the new forum and letting their presence/voice be heard. and obviously, they've stayed there to hammer it home.

i'm sure that the ptb from stargate (who know *this* forum and it's fans very well) would tell mgm/sony about what's really going on there, and if they want *unbiased* opinions, both pro and con, to come here.

while i sometimes feel like i want to go to that new forum and post some pro sam stuff, i don't want to associate myself with the hate.

sally
          sally

sigpic

Comment

Heh heh...

Ever get the feeling that you missed a WHOLE heckuvalot on a certain well-traversed thread?

You guys have talked about SOOO much! Let's see...

ON VALA: I'm so glad they did this to her. "TPTB" actually should have been titled, "Redeeming Vala." And I refuse to think that they waited too long. For a character, I think there has to be a natural progression of things, and Vala kinda evolved over these past eps. I've always thought there was more to her, and I liked CB's portrayal of her. Now I have TWO reasons to be excited for "Beach Head."

ON "THREADS": I loved that last scene between Sam and Jacob. I'm sad that he died (about as sad as the OTHER "J" who died) and I'm hoping/praying/begging for his return. Like many of you, Sam and Jacob remind me of my own relationship with my dad (dagnabbit). It was so well done, and I definitely understand why AT got the award for that episode.

ON SHIP: Ship in small, respectful doses is great. I'm a shipper, but a lot of the stuff I see in fanfic should stay in fanfic. And I'd hate to think that the reasonable anti-shippers are made uncomfortable by certain eps. There were a few times where I thought the ship was just plain awkward, but I was blinded by my rose-colored glasses, so I let it pass. I like to live in the common fantasy that Sam and Jack ARE together this season. Off-screen ship is JUUUUST fine.

ON VALA & SAM: This has been said a billion times before, but TPTB would be REALLY remiss in NOT writing a scene for these two brilliant women. Honestly. I've said it before, but Weir and Teyla get zip together - and I consider them equals (disagree with me, if you must ) - because they really do take a backseat to McKay and Sheppard. Anywho, if Vala and Sam, two clearly dominant female characters, don't get at least ONE scene together, I'll definitely come whimpering Saturday morning.

ON THE VARIOUS THREADS IN THE SERIES: I like the many facets of the show. I like the fact that each character has a driving force behind them. As it stands, Daniel's kinda the only one who still has a lot of Ascended stuff to resolve, but it's nice to see this other side of him with Vala. I like watching Teal'c struggle with his loyalty to Earth (and what I consider to be his family in SG-1) and his loyalty to his people. I don't mind Sam soul-searching and I don't mind watching her kick butt and take names with only her P-90 and her wits. And I will ALWAYS choose the FAMILY aspect of the team over any one character's storyline - and that includes ship. Scenes like the one in "TLC" and the one at the end of "Threads" are the best kind, and I only wish we had gotten more of them before Jack went away.

Uh... I think that's about everything.

How's it going guys?
            Last edited by the dancer of spaz; 15 August 2005, 07:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Osiris-RA
              Anti-Sam people. Bah - those aren't true Stargate fans IMHO. If they're going to jump all over a character who had a place on the team mentioned the credits (hello) since the beginning, and then say that a person who's been on the show for an overall time of what, 120 minutes or less should take that person's place, I say, "well who t f are you?? Not a Stargate fan I assume because it seems that a real fan would know a little more about a character than to bash him/her the second someone else pops on that they personally like more.

Still though, even if stargate was a new show to me but I knew, say, CB from farscape, I wouldn't be begging that the only other leading female character be replaced by a character CB would portray. That's just a tad rude ...I think...

Of all the forum's I've been too, GW stands out in the sun compared to so many.
              chocdoc: I think of Gateworld as a really great forum because there are alot of diverse opinions, and people in general are respectful of each other. I think the mods (such as our own Skydiver!) do a great job here, and i really appreciate that! I like GW, (only post here), and enjoy lurking on other forums which, for the most part, also have a nice range of opinions. You can count on all the characters having fans, and no character fanbase dominates. It seems representative of alot of diverse opinions.

Fandom can be fierce and fine. As mentioned, GW stands out for its friendly atmosphere and tolerance. I've read and/or replied to many controversial topics (Stargate & race, the ever head-butting Sam/Jack ship, Vala, Cameron, Teal'c's hair...) and it rarely gets ugly here.

And yeah, Osiris-Ra, what is WITH folk who don't like the main character in a show they say they like?? Seems they should take a page from Ben Browder's book: he hoped to make new friends for the Farscape fandom as well as joining a hit show he liked. I welcome new talent long as the show maintains its quality and identity; neither the fab Claudia Black nor Ben Browder hurt Stargate. Hello, they are there to JOIN the cast not replace them. Sites with that kind of negative mania (there IS positive mania, right?) turn me off. I can take only so much, even as a lurker. To each his own ignorance. (Oh, did I say that out loud? Good.)

So, chocdoc, lurk away; just come on back to where everybody knows your name...Oh, wait. I mean, kindness reigns here. Gee, I love the sound of that!

Just sayin'.
              MISSION: STARGATE REWATCH 2011-2012 ENGAGED DONE!
              sigpic
              Beware Helen Magnus - Doctor of A$$-Kicking

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
                i know who you're talking about, chocdoc; i read them talking about going to the new forum and letting their presence/voice be heard. and obviously, they've stayed there to hammer it home.

i'm sure that the ptb from stargate (who know *this* forum and it's fans very well) would tell mgm/sony about what's really going on there, and if they want *unbiased* opinions, both pro and con, to come here.

while i sometimes feel like i want to go to that new forum and post some pro sam stuff, i don't want to associate myself with the hate.

sally

Thanks, Majorsal! You are wise not to want to associate with this hate---and your blood pressure will stay down too!!

And thanks on the comment about how their views are perceived. It is just that their views are so strong that it is frustrating. On GW and most other forums, you have enough variety of opinions that no one character gets trashed. On GW, for example, my guess is you could find a certain bunch of fans that dislike any character, but none of this dominates the forum. I've noticed this on others too---one fan may say something negative, then sure enough many other opinions are expressed, and often with some good comments.

It is just that this is a new forum---I guess that is what bothers me, but I appreciate your wisdom! I had to get out my frustration.

Osiris-Ra: Thanks for your post too! Made me feel better. Rude, yes, yes, very rude!

Comment

chocdoc - I would not worry too much about what the anti-sam brigade has to say or where they have to say it - they have been around a long time now and I agree with Sally that TPTB and the suits are on to them and know their biased, irrational viewpoints. I posted the following a while back and figured I would post part of it again here because if we can figure these loons out TPTB and the suits can too and they hopefully take their irrational, over-the-top, unreasonable overzealousness with the proverbial grain of salt. Here it is, with some amendments to add recent happenings, hope it makes you feel a little better about the anti's:

I stopped reading the sam slammers a long time ago. I find that many (keep in mind I said many so if anyone who visits those threads reads this I did not say all), with their incredibly biased attitudes, would probably even love an entire ep of DJ sitting in the woods talking to an alien (oh wait there was an ep like that and they did love it). My take on most of the sam slammer contingent is that it does not matter one whit what Daniel is doing, he could be sitting on his thumbs for all they care, and they would rate it one of the best eps ever, as long as it had no Carter in it, and if Carter were in it then it would be great as opposed to one of the greatest ever and they would spend a good deal of their time slamming Carter for whatever she did, whether she saves the world or makes a mistake, or just shows up for 2 minutes on a videophone, in their eyes it is all the same with Carter - bad and worthy of wishing the character dead, court-martialed or off the show.

The extremists have lost the ability to reason and to be rational, they have lost complete credibility, IMO, and they have lost the ability to see the show for what it is. This is borne out in their compelte disregard for the mistakes that Daniel has made thus far in S9, not the least of which is continuing to harbor an unworthy, self aggrandizing thief such as vala, plus he and vala were the cause of the death of the 2 people in whatever that recent ep was I already cannot remember the name of and he showed absolutley no remorse (vala I can understand - she has no redeeming qualities - but Daniel, what happened to the real Daniel?) If the Daniel eps were Carter eps and Carter had taken up with vala, or a vala type character, and done some of the things Daniel has done you can bet your sweet bippy they would be saying that it was wrong and they should court martial Carter for this, that and the other thing - but ooooh it's Daniel, their sweet boobala, and he can do no wrong - my God they need to grow up don't they? (The good news is that TPTB seem to be honing in on bringing Daniel down this season with idiotic behaviour and nonsensical plots and bad writing so maybe they will leave Carter alone - they tagged her with plenty of bad writing and bad story lines for the past season and a half, hopefully we get the Carter back that so many have posted they want to see again.)

TPTB, and the suits, are not dumb and they have been in this business a long time, I am sure they have also realized the same thing about the brigade and are able to differentiate between the extremists and the fans that are able to be rational when discussing this show. These are, after all, some of the very same people that TPTB inferred have sent death threats to the studios - IMO, the anti-sam brigade are just non-entities that deserve nothing more than to be ignored. I think it would speak wonders if they are completley ignored and no one challenges them at all as that tells the tale that they, and their antics of hate and vitriol, are not worth anyone else's time. As the saying goes, don't dignify their comments with a response. IMO, with their behaviour they do more to damage their cause than they do to help their cause. Finally, Daniel left after S5 and S6 did just fine and lo and behold even got renewed without his glorious presence to save the show. To me this just indicates that the anti brigade is very small and there are not enough of them to make a dent one way or the other and I am sure TPTB have that figured out too.
                  Last edited by binkpmmc; 15 August 2005, 07:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Traveler Enroute1
                    Fandom can be fierce and fine. As mentioned, GW stands out for its friendly atmosphere and tolerance. I've read and/or replied to many controversial topics (Stargate & race, the ever head-butting Sam/Jack ship, Vala, Cameron, Teal'c's hair...) and it rarely gets ugly here.

And yeah, Osiris-Ra, what is WITH folk who don't like the main character in a show they say they like?? Seems they should take a page from Ben Browder's book: he hoped to make new friends for the Farscape fandom as well as joining a hit show he liked. I welcome new talent long as the show maintains its quality and identity; neither the fab Claudia Black nor Ben Browder hurt Stargate. Hello, they are there to JOIN the cast not replace them. Sites with that kind of negative mania (there IS positive mania, right?) turn me off. I can take only so much, even as a lurker. To each his own ignorance. (Oh, did I say that out loud? Good.)

So, chocdoc, lurk away; just come on back to where everybody knows your name...Oh, wait. I mean, kindness reigns here. Gee, I love the sound of that!

Just sayin'.

Yes, okay, lurk away---- that's what I need to do! You know, I was doing that, and then I fell off the wagon!! My defense for the Queen is making my blood pressure rise! But, hey she's got an amazing amount of wonderful supporters!

And yes, I love the sound of kindness reigns here too!

Comment

Heh, those Sam Bashers at that MGM site can FOAD ('scuse the French )
                      The one that really cracked me up said something about how they hated how Sam was 'All about her reproductive organs' then proceeded to say that Vala should be kept permanently. Bahahaha.

Anyway...
                      How long until Sam returns Majorsal?

Comment

Originally posted by binkpmmc
                        chocdoc - I would not worry too much about what the anti-sam brigade has to say or where they have to say it - they have been around a long time now and I agree with Sally that TPTB and the suits are on to them and know their biased, irrational viewpoints.

As the saying goes, don't dignify their comments with a response. Finally, Daniel left after S5 and S6 did just fine and lo and behold even got renewed without his glorious presence to save the show. To me this just indicates that the anti brigade is very small and there are not enough of them to make a dent one way or the other and I am sure TPTB have that figured out too.

Thanks, binkpmmc, for your view. And yes, your thoughts put this whole thing in perspective. I think you are right that if Sam were doing some of the things Daniel is doing, they would find fault in her every move.

Thanks to all of you for responding to my distress!! You are all very kind. Again, sorry to vent. Clearly all of you are on the same page---ignore them! You're right---I won't waste my timing lurking there anymore. I was just a bit shocked at how bad it was, but you guys have put the whole thing in perspective, and I appreciate it!

Onward to the splendid news that Sam is back in, now is it, could it be, 4 DAYS!!! Can't wait!! Friends and I were talking about how long these five weeks have been. When I heard that AT would be back for 15 out of 20 episodes, I thought, that's great---I can handle 5 episodes, that's not much. But, man, it is alot when you actually go through it! and team, we'll have a team!

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
                          Heh, those Sam Bashers at that MGM site can FOAD ('scuse the French )
                          The one that really cracked me up said something about how they hated how Sam was 'All about her reproductive organs' then proceeded to say that Vala should be kept permanently. Bahahaha.

Anyway...
                          91 hours and 46 minutes and 10 seconds.

But who's counting?

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
                            91 hours and 46 minutes and 10 seconds.

But who's counting?

What a coincidence. I was gonna put like a countdown clock in my sig a few days ago but I couldn't find one.
                            TEAM SG1 LIVES

Comment

Sam is coming.... Sam is coming .... SAM IS COMING

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark

Anyway...
                                that would be 4 DAYS 'TILL SAM/AMANDA RETURNS!

sally
                                sally

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X