Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tsaxlady
    Well only three more shows and the musical I'm playing in will be over. Thought I would share a couple of pictures I took or had taken back stage tonight.
    Originally posted by tsaxlady

Great pics! Thanks for sharing.

Wow! I was gone only in the weekend and there were 10 pages of posts. Took me all morning to read them!

Congratulations to tsaxlady on 800 posts, our Court Jester, Chopingirl on 1,400 posts, Lys on 600 posts, Skydiver on 4,700 posts, AgentDark on 1,100 posts, golfbooy on 100 posts, ChevronSeven on 1,300 posts, Tok’ra Hostess on 1,000 posts, Astro on 1,800 posts, ShimmeringStar on 3,000 posts and Osiris-Ra on 2,000 posts. Okay, so there me be a repeat here but I’d rather repeat then forget.

Originally posted by Chopingirl
    For all those milestoners this past week
    Jerin, nikkirose, and Uber oh so sweet
    Here's a reward for your hard work

Thanks CG for the yummy candy. This is OT, but there’s always food at my workplace. This is hysterical, cuz just as I was writing this, someone came in w/ a box of cookies. LOL.

Suekay, I’m so sorry to hear you broke your finger. How did it happen? Are you in pain? Hugs Suekay and wishes her the best. These are lovely: http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b298/suz_k/at.jpg and http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...k/atsketch.jpg

ForeverSg1, great writing on the 1st time Sam & Vala meet. Hopefully TPTB will take some pointers from you.
    Originally posted by Lys
    Does any of you have the same trouble as me ? I can't quote anything in my posts. If I try, GW doesn't let me post. It's really upsetting.

On Friday, I had a hell of a time trying to post. I’ve decided to write what I wanna post on word and save it first, and then try to post. It’s been very frustrating.

UberSG-1Fan, I’m confused.
    Spoiler:
    Why did Danny descend? I watched the episode, but missed it.

Astro, thank you so much for going through all that for AT’s gift. Congratulations on your nomination for overall best author in the Stargate Fanfic Awards!

StrixVaria, cute story about your dad borrowing Sg-1 dvds. I wish I could convert my family.
    Originally posted by majorsal
    *plugs ears* la la la!... *mumbles to self, 'sam will always be in stargate sg1, sam will always'... *

My sentiments exactly.

Binkpmmc, I agree w/ your thought on Carter’s character development. I would’ve loved to see stories focused on Sam’s issues as CO on Sg-1.
    Last edited by jerin; 15 August 2005, 09:58 AM.

Goa'uld queen in possession of Daniel, Jonas and Martouf clones
    Lovely signature courtesy of Admiral Q O and Skydiver.

Comment

Originally posted by ann_sgcfan
      Here is a question about Jacob. The following may or may not be a
      Spoiler:
      I read somewhere that Carmen Argenziano, actor playing Jacob, was coming back for an episode in S9. It has been a while ago. I'm still trying to find the article where I read that. Did anyone else read the article or spoiler? I'll let you know when I find it.
      I found the article: "Threads of Discussion - An Exclusive Interview with Carmen Argenziano" By Maral R. Reed. webiste: http://www.scifigate.net/threadsofdiscussion.php

There are S8 spoilers in the article, so beware if you are staying spoiler free. The part of the article I am clinging to is in the middle. But nothing is set in stone. He talks highly about AT and working together with her and other actors on Stargate. I thought it was a good interview and worth reading for Jacob fans and AT fans.

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
        With this talk about Threads and Jacob and then seeing Friday's episode I wonder if they will be drawing parallels between Sam's formerly rocky relationship with her dad and Lam and landry. I remember the TV guide piece at the beginning of the season said something like "Sam will befriend Lam." I bet they could bond over having difficult military fathers. Lam evidently has some major probs w/ her dad. Do you think they'll have a talk to the effect of "patch things up b/c you never know how long you'll have him"?
        I truly hope not. Sam's relationship with Jacob was unique, in all it's facets. I still don't understand why the tptb "stuck" that Landry/Lam connection in the story. It's bad enough Lam is like a fish out of water, but we don't need a replay of Sam/Jacob....and most likely a very cliched one.

Sam's relationship with her Dad became an integral part of the storyline and it was always well done. I really wish that Jacob/Selmak had not been "sacrificed" on the alter of change. I enjoyed watching their interactions....and his death was incredibly painful to watch, for both Sam and myself.

Dr. Lam is NO Sam Carter and never will be. Period. But that's just opinion.

Is it Friday yet????

Edit: Oh, and what's with the rhyming names....Sam, Cam, Lam??? A little joke by tbtp?
        On fighting:
        Farrah: "A swordsman does not fear death, if he dies with honor."
        Dr. Who: "Then he's an idiot."

Comment

Originally posted by Coley
          That way if AT decides to leave the show due to family comitments - there still may be a future for the show without her.
          Oh, noo, I don't even wanna think about that.

Originally posted by majorsal
          *plugs ears* la la la!... *mumbles to self, 'sam will always be in stargate sg1, sam will always'... *

sally
          My thoughts exactly, Sally.

I just hope that AT is able to balance everything and is enjoying this season, so if there is a 10th one, she'll be back. I think the last 5 eps show that SG-1 is just not the same without her, and by that I mean the show as well as the team. Don't get me wrong I liked the beginning of Season 9, but something is definitely missing and I am sooo looking forward to Friday.

On another note, I read somewhere when AT came back she needed a couple of days adjusting to the "new" show. And then she was shooting a scene with Chris and Michael and Chris was goofing around and then the three of them ended up walking together, arms around each other, and she thought that this was so nice, and that now she was really back. (Sorry I don't remember exactly, I think I read it in the SFX magazine a friend had bought - it just stuck with me...)

Have a nice day, evening, night everybody!!!

Dani

Thank you, Skydiver

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
            I have read this story and I really think that the author did a very good job with it; however, I have to ask this because this type of story is the reason why I can not and will not call myself a shipper. I found myself completely immersed in the storyline and then all of a sudden Sam would have a flashback and Jack would start calling her Sammy, honey, sweetie or babe(baby) and I would literally start to lose it.

I really, really like the idea of Sam and Jack together and fanfic is a great way to see them that way, but god why do so many authors take an absolutely wonderful story and sugar coat it. This, to me, is so NOT Jack. I can see him being tender and taking care of Sam, but so many authors and stories loose me when they go way over the top like this. And Sammy? *Shiver* The only voice I hear when I see the word Sammy is Jacob's.

Normally, the moment I see these sugary pet names I hit the 'x' button on a story. I don't even bother giving it another glance, because I know I will be cringing through the entire thing. Luckily for this story I was already deeply involved before I noticed the first instance.

So for those of you who aren't S/J shippers, this really is a very good Sam story if you are willing to give it a shot. Just thought a little advanced warning might be welcomed.

Kat
            I am a shipper, but I have to say that everything you mention in your post also applies to me when I read fic. Much as I love to read about Sam and Jack getting together, I want it to remain in character. The 'lovey-dovey' stuff just seems so out of character to me, that I also hit the big red X.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ann_sgcfan
              I found the article: "Threads of Discussion - An Exclusive Interview with Carmen Argenziano" By Maral R. Reed. webiste: http://www.scifigate.net/threadsofdiscussion.php

There are S8 spoilers in the article, so beware if you are staying spoiler free. The part of the article I am clinging to is in the middle. But nothing is set in stone. He talks highly about AT and working together with her and other actors on Stargate. I thought it was a good interview and worth reading for Jacob fans and AT fans.
              Thanks for posting this ann, I really enjoyed reading the interview - what a great guy. Reading how he thinks about AT and what was going on while shooting Threads explains the energy that came across when the two of them were in a scene.

Love the possible spoilers, will keep my fingers crossed.

Thank you, Skydiver

Comment

Originally posted by Lida
                I truly hope not. Sam's relationship with Jacob was unique, in all it's facets. I still don't understand why the tptb "stuck" that Landry/Lam connection in the story. It's bad enough Lam is like a fish out of water, but we don't need a replay of Sam/Jacob....and most likely a very cliched one.

Sam's relationship with her Dad became an integral part of the storyline and it was always well done. I really wish that Jacob/Selmak had not been "sacrificed" on the alter of change. I enjoyed watching their interactions....and his death was incredibly painful to watch, for both Sam and myself.
                Amen, Lida, well said.

Thank you, Skydiver

Comment

Originally Posted by Skydiver:
                  Personally? i see brad's hands on those 5 eps. he has a mastery with the characters and thier feelings and i think he did a stellar job.

those 5 eps really do just go together so well and are the hilight of s8 for me
                  I absolutely agree with you on this. The end of season eight was, for me, perfect. And I attribute that perfection primarily to Brad Wright. Those last five episodes "feel" like his work. The four leads in SG-1 are his characters and nobody knows them or writes them quite as well as he does. It's a shame that he and Rob Cooper have been split between SG-1 and Atlantis, because when they work together, you get episodes like Reckoning, Threads, and Moebius just about every week.

Personally, I can't think of a more fitting end to SG-1 than we had in season eight. The producers will be hard-pressed to do any better when SG-1's end finally does come. Granted, I'm not sure that's anytime soon. But it'll be hard to do better.

Reckoning is the perfect end to the major plotlines in the show. The Goa'uld and the Replicators are defeated in grand, highly dramatic fashion. That last montage of scenes where we see O'neill, Teal'c, Daniel, and Sam each desperately fighting, seperately, in one final struggle for all of the universe is inspiringly concieved and brilliantly executed. That's my SG-1.

Threads is an equally fitting end to each of the character's major personal arcs. Each member of the team gets to have a moment where we, the audience, see them ready to move on. For Teal'c, that moment comes after he's been proclaimed "blood kin" to his people. When he looks out over the brothers he fought so tirelessly to free, it is his moment to shine. It is his moment to savour. Daniel's moment comes when he is finally able not to confront Anubis, but to learn why he's made the decisions he's made regarding his ascension. And, in the end, his moment is when by trying to stop Anubis himself, he forces Oma to take action. This is Daniel giving Oma the chance at retribution she once gave him. And it's perfect for the character of Daniel Jackson. Sam's moment, though much more subtle, is just as poignant for her character. In Threads Sam finally accepts her life for what it is and her relationships for what they are. She's happy, resolved to her unique, often whacky existence. When she's on that dock at the end, it's for no other reason than at that particular moment, that is exactly where she wants to be. And Jack, well, Jack's moment is a bit more sublime than everyone else's. No matter what else Daniel, Teal'c, and Sam are to him, they will always also be his "kids". He's watched over them for the last eight years; their personal successes are his success as well. And when he's sitting on that dock at the end, with Daniel, Teal'c, and Sam around him, it is quite possibly his best moment in the entire series. And it's the perfect goodbye to these characters.

After all that, I was skeptical about Moebius potentially being the series finale. As I've said, I can't think of a better closing than that last scene in Threads. And, happily for me, apparently they couldn't either. I'm glad Moebius ended the same way. Moebius itself, though, is my ultimate reward for sticking with the show for eight years. It is a celebration of all that is great about SG-1. Moebius allows us to reminice about Stargate's roots while still taking a step forward. The even pacing, quirky humor, and unique Stargate tone that has made SG-1 the giant success it is abounds in Moebius. And the message the episode evinces is quite appropriate too. For me, the point of Moebius is that no matter what time period, no matter what reality or dimension, no matter what the extemporaneous circumstances might be, these four people, Daniel, Teal'c, Carter, and O'neill, make each other better. They make each other happier. And, together, they can accomplish the greatest and most unimaginable of things. What better farewell to SG-1 could there possibly be?

PS
                  I lost three replies to this last night in GateWorld's pit of irretrievability and, suffice it to say, was rather pissed off. Hopefully things will go through without a hitch today though.

Comment

Originally posted by Lida

I'm not advocating it. I do think it could be a conversation those 2 could have though.

thanks ann_sgcfan for posting the link to the CA article. I think I had seen it before, but it was good to read again the high regard he has for AT. He's been in tons of movies & tv shows, so I think he'd be a pretty good judge of ability. And I agree with him that Selmak's death came out of left field.
                    For me: First, it was unnecessary. Second, one minute he's fine and the next minute we find out he's been dying of old age. No where was there any prep for the idea that Selmak was so old that this would be his last host. I think they thought--this is the last season, let's give Carter some emotional pain. Then--oops, we're going for another year. You'd think they'd have learned their lesson with Fraiser.

Comment

Originally posted by golfbooy
                      I absolutely agree with you on this. The end of season eight was, for me, perfect. And I attribute that perfection primarily to Brad Wright. Those last five episodes "feel" like his work. The four leads in SG-1 are his characters and nobody knows them or writes them quite as well as he does. It's a shame that he and Rob Cooper have been split between SG-1 and Atlantis, because when they work together, you get episodes like Reckoning, Threads, and Moebius just about every week.

Personally, I can't think of a more fitting end to SG-1 than we had in season eight. The producers will be hard-pressed to do any better when SG-1's end finally does come. Granted, I'm not sure that's anytime soon. But it'll be hard to do better.

Reckoning is the perfect end to the major plotlines in the show. The Goa'uld and the Replicators are defeated in grand, highly dramatic fashion. That last montage of scenes where we see O'neill, Teal'c, Daniel, and Sam each desperately fighting, seperately, in one final struggle for all of the universe is inspiringly concieved and brilliantly executed. That's my SG-1.

Threads is an equally fitting end to each of the character's major personal arcs. Each member of the team gets to have a moment where we, the audience, see them ready to move on. For Teal'c, that moment comes after he's been proclaimed "blood kin" to his people. When he looks out over the brothers he fought so tirelessly to free, it is his moment to shine. It is his moment to savour. Daniel's moment comes when he is finally able not to confront Anubis, but to learn why he's made the decisions he's made regarding his ascension. And, in the end, his moment is when by trying to stop Anubis himself, he forces Oma to take action. This is Daniel giving Oma the chance at retribution she once gave him. And it's perfect for the character of Daniel Jackson. Sam's moment, though much more subtle, is just as poignant for her character. In Threads Sam finally accepts her life for what it is and her relationships for what they are. She's happy, resolved to her unique, often whacky existence. When she's on that dock at the end, it's for no other reason than at that particular moment, that is exactly where she wants to be. And Jack, well, Jack's moment is a bit more sublime than everyone else's. No matter what else Daniel, Teal'c, and Sam are to him, they will always also be his "kids". He's watched over them for the last eight years; their personal successes are his success as well. And when he's sitting on that dock at the end, with Daniel, Teal'c, and Sam around him, it is quite possibly his best moment in the entire series. And it's the perfect goodbye to these characters.

After all that, I was skeptical about Moebius potentially being the series finale. As I've said, I can't think of a better closing than that last scene in Threads. And, happily for me, apparently they couldn't either. I'm glad Moebius ended the same way. Moebius itself, though, is my ultimate reward for sticking with the show for eight years. It is a celebration of all that is great about SG-1. Moebius allows us to reminice about Stargate's roots while still taking a step forward. The even pacing, quirky humor, and unique Stargate tone that has made SG-1 the giant success it is abounds in Moebius. And the message the episode evinces is quite appropriate too. For me, the point of Moebius is that no matter what time period, no matter what reality or dimension, no matter what the extemporaneous circumstances might be, these four people, Daniel, Teal'c, Carter, and O'neill, make each other better. They make each other happier. And, together, they can accomplish the greatest and most unimaginable of things. What better farewell to SG-1 could there possibly be?
                      I agree with most of what you've said, though I'm not as thrilled with Moebius as you are. I thought Threads would have been the perfect finale and if the show had been ending, it could have been a show ender. Then we go back for a comedy episode. Sort of anticlimactic, as much as I enjoyed geeky Sam and Geeky(er) Daniel.
                      But I agree with you about Brad Wright that he really knows the characters. I think the more involved he is the better.

Comment

Wow, golfbooy, I'm impressed. You are very articulate and express exactly what I think about the show and these eps in particular. Wish I could say it as well as you just did.

You are correct, Reckoning was nearly perfect - the way they gave each character his or her own challenge to bring out their different talents and strength - and to put it together in one big final picture to show the team aspect - like saying: they are all strong in their own ways - but together as a team they will succeed, that's their real strength.

I also like your thoughts on the other eps. Like I said I am not nearly as perfect in expressing myself.
                        But, I agree, that the last 5 episodes of S8 would have been a great ending to SG-1 - and in a way they were, because a lot has changed - we will see just how much in the episodes to come.
                        So for me the arc of Reckoning through Moebius will always be the "perfect farewell" to SG-1 as we knew it - But, I am happy to say that I am also looking forward to the development of S9.

Here is to more great stories like Reckoning and Moebius in the seasonS to come.

P.S. I hope I am not annoying anybody with quoting golfbooy's post almost in its entirety, I just thought that it was so well expressed, that it was worth being posted again...

Thank you, Skydiver

Comment

I absolutely agree with you on this. The end of season eight was, for me, perfect. .
                          Very well said Golfboy. You basically covered every sentiments I feel about the series. thank you ... hope you don't mind I shortened it since the thread has been repeated several times.

Comment

Originally posted by SamFan31
                            Love it! So clever! Ok, I recognize CG and Strix, but who is behind the car (right behind Jack)? Could that be you, SamFan31?
                            i can't wait for sam/amanda to return next week! and speaking of returning, i was just reading in the new tv guide about beach head. i was hoping they'd talk about sam, and oh boy!

Spoiler:
                            (Highlight below to read):
                            they gave beach head their own picture box summary! and guess who was shown? SAM! they showed a pic of sam from last season's ep 'end game', and in the pic, it shows sam sitting on a crate in her fake leathers, looking up unhappily at a bad guy off camera. not only was stargate highlighted, but sam/amanda's return was!here's what was said --

"in an explosive tale featuring the return of series regular amanda tapping, carter drops a bomb-shell - on the ori force field - when a jaffa civilization is menanced."

woooo hoooo!!

sally
                            You don't think there's any double meaning to
                            Spoiler:
                            "Carter drops a bombshell,"
                            do you? Maybe not; after all, it's TV Guide, not JM. But I'm just sayin'.....
                            Originally posted by Traveler Enroute1
                            SAW SAM! SAW SAM! GLAD I AM!

So worked up, she's coming back next week!!

Feel like singing:

"I don't know, but I've been told (Response: I don't know but I've been told)
                            "When Sam comes back, it's LOCK 'N' LOAD! (Response: When Sam comes back, it's LOCK 'N' LOAD!)
                            Am I right or wrong? (Response: -----)
                            Am I right or wrong? (Response: -----)

Feeling goofy. Long day at work, hot and stinky humid, great SG1 and SGA and SAM in the promos for next week!

At last! Just sayin'.
                            I share your sentiment! Can't wait til Friday, and it's the first time since March I've felt that way (* clears throat * well, except for it signaling the end of the work week).

I had to work this weekend, and haven't been here in days! Good to see all the wonderful conversation going on here (as usual). I'm catching up on posts, and will talk to you a little later!

Comment

Aloha...

I'm know this is off topic but I'll come up with something witty and on topic later but...

I'M GOING TO UNIVERSITY!!!!!!!!!!!

YAY!!!!!!!!
                              sigpic
                              Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

Welcome back, Astrogeologist!
                                Congratulations, ChopinGal, on 1,400 posts!
                                Congratulations, Agent Dark, on 1,100 posts!
                                Congratulations, Lys, on 600 posts!

tsaxlady.....loved the Nunsense pics. I saw a road company do it a few years ago, and it's really a fun show!

sueKay.....Great news about university! You were so despondent a few days ago. You must tell us how it came about! Also.....so sorry about the finger! Hope it heals quickly!
                                Originally posted by jckfan55
                                Don't cower--I'll stand with you too on Sam SG-1 leader. I'm an anti-shipper. I watched my tape of Friday's ep today--was so jazzed to see AT in the preview I rewound it and watched it again. I agree with the poster who said now it feels like the season is starting. I'd say ep 1 & then this one (the last few were more like filler).
                                Well, you know I'm a shipper.....but I agree with you on everything else. I rewatched that preview two or three times, because I was just so glad to see Sam

Comment

Working...
                                X