Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lys
    Erm, sörry tö interrüpt yöür Häppy ÜMLÄÜT Dänce, büt why didn't yöü chööse ä näme with älsö ä Ä änd ä Ö ?
    Becäüse häving ä näme with öne ümläut is cööl. Häving ä näme with severäl ümläuts wöüld be ännöying.

Änd I'm ännöying enöügh äs it is withöüt my näme ädding tö my överäll chärm.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Becäüse häving ä näme with öne ümläut is cööl. Häving ä näme with severäl ümläuts wöüld be ännöying.

Änd I'm ännöying enöügh äs it is withöüt my näme ädding tö my överäll chärm.

I think your golden "pain in the mick'ta" medal is going to be one with a giant umlaut.
      BTW you forgot the umlaut on your "cööl" smiley.
      Kingdom of Samanda : Hic Comitas Regit

Comment

Originally posted by Lys
        I think your golden "pain in the mick'ta" medal is going to be one with a giant umlaut.
        BTW you forgot the umlaut on your "cööl" smiley.
        Yeah I tried that.

It didn't work....

*WEEEEPS BITTER UMLAUT-FILLED TEARS*

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by tsaxlady
          Okay you two - add me to the non-shipper list if you did not already know that (Über - no throwing of things ). I'm not an anti-shipper just not a fan of the shippy stuff and I don't see it in every little look like some people do

That being said while there were parts of Threads I did not care for at least it moved Sam forward and resloved some of the linger personal issues from S7/8. I would have loved to see more action Sam in S8 and I'm holding out hope for that in S9. Although I like RDA now that he is gone I'm looking forward to seeing Solider/Scientist Sam back in action, focused on the work at hand.
          There's a list? Where do I sign up?

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
            yeah, i feel the same way sometimes. and i think a lot of it is how we each interpret the characters. personally? i don't see jack ever calling her sammy unless he's trying to push her buttons. i can see Sam, Carter and an occaional seductive 'samantha' (hear a drawling, low and sexy voice here) and i see sam calling him jack

there might also be an occasional babe, hon, honey but i really dont' see the characters how some others do.

i've read fic where jack's all hyper romantic, serenading sam or she's all giggly and sugary and, well that's just not how i see them

maybe it's a fantasy thing? or maybe an age thing? such as younger writers over-romantizing things

i just know that, for me, i see both of these characters as very mellow in their actions, very circumspect in their actions and very low key in thier behaviors, and when i read fic, they have to act that way or it just strikes me as off
            I agree, Skydiver. I don't ever see either Jack or Sam being overtly romantic towards each other. I'm a huge shipper for them, but I don't overanalyze their scenes together to try and "catch" something that is or is not there. I discuss something that is in the scene or a look, but not every glance, not every word means something romantic or that they want each other. Jack and Sam are two adults who care for each other. Some fans interpret that one way, some interpret it differently. I interpret it my way and don't get into a posting match with someone who doesn't. We all have our views and inciting a war of words can just lead to all sorts of things that leads to my blood pressure spiking and that's just too much for a TV show.

I also agree with Sky's views on the fanfic. I'll ususally stop reading halfway through a chapter if the characters, IMO, are too off. I used to read a ton of Josh/Donna fanfic for the WW, but have basically stopped because it's so out of character. Perhaps they are so wanting them together, that anything will satisfy them or that they see them acting in that fashion. That's their interpretation. I think it's straying away from the core characterization that was established onscreen. We all have the power to not read those if we choose to. It's all in the interpretation.
            Last edited by ChevronSeven; 15 August 2005, 03:56 AM.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
              I just wanted to apologize to all the nice shippers for my behavior tonight. I know I've been a bit negative in my past posts and I'm very sorry if I've offended any of you. I have no reasons for behaving this way tonight, other than I think I've OD'd on too much sweet fanfic recently and it's beginning to mess with my brain a bit.

Everyone has the right to read or write whatever type of fanfic they enjoy, I guess I'm just a bit envious right now because I really wish there were a bit more fanfic out there where the characters are written as I see them. But maybe the real problem lies in how I perceive the characters to be, because obviously there are a lot of people who see Sam and Jack in this way.

Oh well. I promise I'll be much nicer tomorrow.

Kat
              Have you tried Garden of the Gods? It's located on GW at FF.net. It's a great story. It'll have some "shippy" aspects to it, but believe me. It is NOT sugary. The author abhors stories like that.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by golfbooy
                All right. All the recent discussion of Threads has cajoled me into inserting my own blithering opinion of Jacob's death. Be warned--this could go on for a while.

Much good stuff snipped....
                Awesome post, golfbooy.

My LJ

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
                  *Mary Beth does Happy UMLAUT Dance*

ÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜberSG-1Fan

And see if Kat can help. She's a graphics wiz...

snort

Comment

snort
                    Indeed !

Comment

I don't know how I could miss that.

Congrats on posts 800 tsaxlady !

Comment

Ok, I just saw "Danielle Steele's Remembrance" this weekend--I got my sister to tape it for me. Not that it came as a surprise, but it was very evident in her few scenes that Amanda Tapping is a much better actress than who they cast in the lead. And it was really fun to see her smile and have some romance, which we don't see much in SG1. (I actually don't *want* romance in SG1, either).
                        the tape cut off before the end of the movie though. has anyone else seen it? Can I assume that
                        Spoiler:
                        she and the doctor wind up married & raising the kid? Her psychiatric training helps the kid recover her wits & then at the end the grown up Vanessa meets her sister and they all live happily ever after? The tape cut off right after Doc finds out he's got custody.

Comment

Originally posted by golfbooy
                          All right. All the recent discussion of Threads has cajoled me into inserting my own blithering opinion of Jacob's death. Be warned--this could go on for a while.

<Some major snippage>

Janet's death was much more egregious of an error, to me, than Jacob's death. The character of Janet Frasier still had great things to contribute to the story. Her demise, while providing fodder for a great episode and some phenomenal character moments, was short-sighted. Ultimately, it was a mistake. Jacob's death, however, as I hope I've explained above, served the show. The final five episodes of season eight were about moving on, no matter what the future held in store for the characters or for the show itself. And, though it's bittersweet, Jacob's death helped to provide a modicum of closure to both Sam's story and to the big Stargate SG-1 story. At least it feels that way to me.

Let me be clear about something else, too. I love the character of Jacob. He is, without a doubt, one of the most successful, well-written, useful, and welcome guest characters ever concieved of in 174 episodes of SG-1. His only rival, and to be fair, he's quite a rival, is Bra'tac. But tell me, what's more delightful than having Bra'tac or Jacob in an episode? Having both, of course. And I'm certainly going to miss that. But, in my often worthless opinion, Jacob's death was not out of line with the story. To put it subtly, it was probably time for him to go. It was time for Sam to move on. And, no matter how sorry I am to see things change and characters to leave the story, I will never fault the writers for progressing the story when it's time to progress the story. If I did, then I'd never have gotten over the defeat of Apophis. I mean, come on, has there ever been or could there ever be anyone better for SG-1 to kneel before?
                          Great post golfbooy. And I have to say I agree with all your points. I was disgusted and irritated when I learned they were going to kill Jacob off, but have to say you're right on with all your points about his character's arc and looking at it from that POV makes me feel better about it. There really weren't many more avenues for him to go down that served him, the other characters or the show.

I agree about Janet too. Many more stories were taken away when they wrote her out. I miss her too in relation to Sam - in Janet Sam lost the one female friend that she could confide in, use as a 'safe' sounding board and who could 'call her out' on things. Think of the advice and zingers Janet could have delivered to Sam when Sam was musing to the guys about the choices women still had to make about ships at the beginning of S8....

*grins* More agreement with you on Apophis. No one could ever come close to the wide-eyed, chin-up-in-the-air look of disdain that Apophis could give. (Well, maybe Ba'al in his smoldering sexy way, but that's different! )

Worthless opinion golfbooy? Bah- I'd say your opinion was very worthwhile!
                          Convention Pix Shore Leave ('06 to '09), AT2, AT3, & AT4 ('06, '08, & '09), and Vancouver ('07)
                          My SG fanfic! ..Click Here.

Comment

With this talk about Threads and Jacob and then seeing Friday's episode I wonder if they will be drawing parallels between Sam's formerly rocky relationship with her dad and Lam and landry. I remember the TV guide piece at the beginning of the season said something like "Sam will befriend Lam." I bet they could bond over having difficult military fathers. Lam evidently has some major probs w/ her dad. Do you think they'll have a talk to the effect of "patch things up b/c you never know how long you'll have him"?

Comment

Here is a question about Jacob. The following may or may not be a
                              Spoiler:
                              I read somewhere that Carmen Argenziano, actor playing Jacob, was coming back for an episode in S9. It has been a while ago. I'm still trying to find the article where I read that. Did anyone else read the article or spoiler? I'll let you know when I find it.

Comment

I have read this story and I really think that the author did a very good job with it; however, I have to ask this because this type of story is the reason why I can not and will not call myself a shipper. I found myself completely immersed in the storyline and then all of a sudden Sam would have a flashback and Jack would start calling her Sammy, honey, sweetie or babe(baby) and I would literally start to lose it.

I really, really like the idea of Sam and Jack together and fanfic is a great way to see them that way, but god why do so many authors take an absolutely wonderful story and sugar coat it. This, to me, is so NOT Jack. I can see him being tender and taking care of Sam, but so many authors and stories loose me when they go way over the top like this. And Sammy? *Shiver* The only voice I hear when I see the word Sammy is Jacob's.
                                But not all shippers like the sugary sweetness. I like S/J ship in the show and in fanfic. But I like it when it’s more canon-based, true to the characters as they’ve come across the screen. Which in my POV wouldn't be over the top sugary sweet syrupiness or actions the characters wouldn't take in the show… (not unless there was something *really* weird in the SGC water supply that day! ). (But I understand artistic license - to each his/her own....) For me it’s more the tender and caring actions, more mature and more protective, and… it’s also more testing and pushing and pulling since they are two very different people who’ve repressed their feelings for each other for years… In fact that “honey/sweetie/babe/baby” that you mentioned - as a fanfic writer they’d seem more Pete-like to me than Jack-like. For Jack I can see still see him calling her Carter, Sam, and Samantha… with a zillion inflections depending on the situation… Yep. Sammy is all Jacob’s.
                                Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
                                A lot of people don't get that just because one ships for Sam and Jack that doesn't mean that's the only thing we dig about her.

She is such a multifaceted, well-rounded character with enormous strengths and flaws. What a great character! And like I said, focusing solely on her feelings would be as off-kilter as only hearing her rattle off technobabble all the time or blowing things up every episode.

Okay...I personally wouldn't mind her blowing things up every episode but some might...

But the point is that if you focus only on one part of who she is, you can miss the rest of what makes her Samantha Carter...Scientist/Soldier/Friend/Confidante/Mother/Hero/Jack's Girlfriend(?)

Amen! So true about any of the characters, but especially of Sam.

Originally posted by Skydiver
                                i throughly enjoyed threads because it was about the people. for me, sam and jack is a take it or leave it thing. sure, i love ship fic, don't care much for it on the show simply because they tend to be so ham fisted about it that it's painful - that's what affinity was to me, painful simply because it was so incredibly clumsy.

threads, however, was no low key and graceful and a true joy to watch. i like that we got to see a hint of sam dealing with her life and her own personal issues. and even if you're not a shipper, you can still see the 'always' as a 'look, i will always be your friend, no matter what' statement from jack.

personally, i've always seen it as jack having one hell of a crush on sam, yet it's a crush he won't act on because he doesn't want her to feel threatened. he would rather have it unrequited than lose her, and that's the sentiment about them that i really love.
                                Yep, because like Sam IMOHO, he’s just like her – they’re both so steeped in honor and duty that they wouldn’t take the other into situations that would destroy the other, professionally or personally. And if that means waiting until she’s ready, then that’s what he’ll do because he cherishes and respects her that much… (IMO shippy POV…)
                                Convention Pix Shore Leave ('06 to '09), AT2, AT3, & AT4 ('06, '08, & '09), and Vancouver ('07)
                                My SG fanfic! ..Click Here.

Comment

Working...
                                X