Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lys
    Maybe JM implied that Sam's story arcs had the longest run of the last seasons. I can't find anything to add to your list but
    Spoiler:
    the Pete story arc lasted for both seasons and the Replicarter one for almost the entire season 8

I'd for once would have loved to add to the list a Sam commanding officer of SG1 story arc. Why didn't we get an episode dealing with that ? We had one focusing on Jack's new position in the SGC, why not one about Sam ?
    I know the shippers aren't going to be pleased with me but I'd rather have a strong adventure type episode with Sam, as SG1's leader, dealing with Baal or whatever Goa'uld you want, than Threads.
    Now I'm cowering in a corner waiting for some angry shippers to throw penguin missiles at me and rotten tomatoes.
    Agent Dark ! Help me !
    Big, fat D-I-T-T-O.
    TEAM SG1 LIVES

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
      I'm looking at SamFan's welcome back photo to AStro and I'm doing my own little dance.

HAPPY HAPPY
      JOY JOY
      ASTRO'S BACK
      SAM IS BACK!

We've played around
      with Vala
      and had lots of fun.
      Now the games
      are all over,
      the news season's
      begun.
      So open the Stargate
      and load up the guns,
      cuz Sam's back in da house
      with SG-1.
      So watch out Ori,
      here she comes!!

Edit: I know I know... I admit I'm no CG, but I couldn't help myself.
      Absolutely loved this. Tried to rep you but it won't let me.
      In the Kingdom of Hope, there is no Winter

Life is too short for drama & petty things,
      so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly & forgive quickly!

Attendee of Shore Leave28, AT2 and AVALON
      Proud Member of the Sam is a Great Character Thread
      Hic Comitas Regit
      Member of the Ship, Ship Hooray Special Ops Team
      Member of Gategrrlz Gone Wild (proud Shore Leave 28 attendee).

Comment

I did think
        Spoiler:
        That Jacob was sacrificed for the 'always'
        but that's my only peeve with Threads.

As for character arcs...I prefer standalone episodes. I feel that standalones give the best character development. Such as Emancipation in season one. Where Sam went from 'the girl' to being a full member of the team that Jack had confidence in her.

The same as Death Knell did more for her character in showing her quick and on-the-spot-thinking, than the season eight arcs could ever do!

Lys - no missiles from me! I may be a shipper, but 'luvvy-duvvy' soppy romance should be limited to fanfic. I'd have 'kicka$$ Sam' over 'midlife crisis Sam' anyday!
        Last edited by sueKay; 14 August 2005, 12:14 PM.
        sigpic
        Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

I'm not a shipper - but I did really like threads

I thought Amanda's acting was superb. Also the best scene of season 8 was in there - the briefing room scene where Pete phoned and Jacob was telling Sam she was supposed to be picking flowers. I thought that was funny - back to the old SG1 humour - and it was brilliantly acted by all three. (Though Uber posted that this scene had been clipped for the shorter version)

I loved Jacob and I'm a bit peeved they've taken him away. That is another Sam storyline they have killed off. They may want to give Sam more of an equal or lesser role than the rest of the team (lets face it she has had the main air time in most of the last few seasons up till season 8) in season 9. That way if AT decides to leave the show due to family comitments - there still may be a future for the show without her.

Anyway back to threads - I hated that Jacob died.

Sad that Teal'c yet again had to be away from the team to get a script with more than a few lines. Can no one write for this chap as a part of SG1??

Liked the scene at Jacks cabin - AT's "Ya think" was delivered with her usual perfection.

I didn't really like the Daniel clips. I didn't think the script was very strong - led to a bit of one dimentional acting really - not much variety for MS to get into.

AT won the award for this show thanks to a varied script for her and her brilliant acting of course.

So all in all Threads wa okay manily saved by the SC clips. I still prefer her to be soldier Sam and in charge of SG1 getting whumped and saving the day!

Comment

SueKay
            hope your finger gets better!!

Comment

ChopinGal

great post - eloquent as ever - much better than mine. I think I should take my tired brian to bed! Err that would be brain - I don't know any Brian that well - honest!

Comment

Originally posted by sueKay
                I did think [spoil] That Jacob was sacrificed for the 'always'[spoil] but that's my only peeve with Threads.

As for character arcs...I prefer standalone episodes. I feel that standalones give the best character development. Such as Emancipation in season one. Where Sam went from 'the girl' to being a full member of the team that Jack had confidence in her.

The same as Death Knell did more for her character in showing her quick and on-the-spot-thinking, than the season eight arcs could ever do!

Lys - no missiles from me! I may be a shipper, but 'luvvy-duvvy' soppy romance should be limited to fanfic. I'd have 'kicka$$ Sam' over 'midlife crisis Sam' anyday!
                Death Knell ! Yeah ! Give me episodes like Death Knell. Now that was the Sam I love, Sam in action, Sam doing fast thinking, Sam kicking butt !

As for the character arcs, I like them but when there subtle, when they take place on an episode but are not the main focus. Standalones are fine but you need some character development and that's what character arcs are for.

Suekay ! Love your kiccka$$ Sam !
                Kingdom of Samanda : Hic Comitas Regit

Comment

Originally posted by sueKay
                  Heya!

CONGRATS CHOPINGAL AND UBER!!!!!

Some news - I'm not going to be doing any Sam artwork in the near future as I've broken one of my fingers and can't write

I'll be doing some graphic art on my computer, so I'll post it when it's done!
                  ((((sueKay))))
                  So sorry to hear about your injury I hope the Dr. gave you good drugs for all the pain

Hic Comitas Regit

Comment

some great replies re Threads from everybody!!!!

Comment

Congratulations to

Über for 1700 posts

ChopinGal for 1400 posts

and

Welcome Back Astro!!!!!!!!

Hic Comitas Regit

Comment

I loved Threads, especially because of Jacob and Selmac. I loved the characters, and i miss them, but I thought it was a ballsey move on the writer's part.

We learned in season two that the Tok'Ra die of old age, but we never got a chance to see that. I love the bittersweet symetry of an old, dying Jacob being saved by Selmac in season two, and now the (relatively) healthy, hearty Jacob chooses to die with his old dying friend, Selmac.
                        Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
                        "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
                        One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
                        resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
                        confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
                        A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
                        The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

(Belated) Congrats on 1400 posts, ChopinGal!!!

Also (belated) commiserations on your damaged digit, sueKay - sorry I can't send you any green to ease the pain.

Comment

Originally posted by Coley
                            ChopinGal

great post - eloquent as ever - much better than mine. I think I should take my tired brian to bed! Err that would be brain - I don't know any Brian that well - honest!
                            Hmm, maybe you're suffering from too much exposure to (or by?) Tok'ra Spice last night...

Comment

Originally posted by Lys
                              I feel the need to clarify some things. My distate for Threads doesn't come from the "always" between Jack and Sam. And yes, as a non shipper, I take it as the statement of a true friendship between the characters. I felt cheated because of Jacob's death. I thought his death occured for the only purpose of that "always". I don't think it's fair for such an important character of the serie to be condemned and sent off for a line of dialogue.
                              Also the plot moving from the SGC to Daniel and Oma is not something I enjoy. They did the same in Evolution where we were moving from Tartarus to Honduras and at the end I was begging for two separate episodes instead of a two parter. I think I would have much better enjoy an episode only focused on the Oma/Daniel and Dakara plot (with some shots of the battle please ) and another one about Sam and Jack. And please, don't kill Jacob. Make him missing, being injured whatever you want but don't kill him ! Snif ! I miss Jacob.
                              I totally agree with you about Jacob. His death was completely unnecessary, but then again the writers have always used the death of someone close to Sam as a means to push Sam and Jack together on-screen. They did it with Martouf in D&C, they did with Janet in Heroes II, and they did it with Jacob in Threads. In every one of these instances someone I cared about died for very unwarranted reasons. Especially the last instance because in my eyes, everything that happened in Threads between Sam and Jack will be waste because I don't believe the writers will ever allow anything to come from it in season 9.

I won't go into detail regarding my feelings about Threads, because I'm sure I will not only upset shippers but Daniel fans as well with my viewpoints.

Now that being said, I thought Amanda did an amazing job with Threads and totally deserved the Saturn she recieved for performance. I think there were some really wonderful scenes, like the one with her and Jacob in the briefing room and in the infirmary, but there were also too many issues that really bothered me about this episode.

I just hope they bring Carmen back for at least one episode this season.
                              Last edited by ForeverSg1; 14 August 2005, 01:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                                I totally agree with you about Jacob. His death was completely unnecessary, but then again the writers have always used the death of someone close to Sam as a means to push Sam and Jack together on-screen. They did it with Martouf in D&C, they did with Janet in Heroes II, and they did it with Jacob in Threads. In every one of these instances someone I cared about died for very unwarranted reasons. Especially the last instance because in my eyes, everything that happened in Threads between Sam and Jack will be waste because I don't believe the writers will ever allow anything to come from it in season 9.

I won't go into detail regarding my feelings about Threads, because I'm sure I will not only upset shippers but Daniel fans as well with my viewpoints.

Now that being said, I thought Amanda did an amazing job with Threads and totally deserved the Saturn she recieved for performance. I think there were some really wonderful scenes, like the one with her and Jacob in the briefing room and in the infirmary, but there were also too many issues that really bothered me about this episode.

I just hope they bring Carmen back for at least one episode this season.
                                I think we might share lots of viewpoints on this episode.
                                I also agree that Amanda certainly deserved the award. She's always been doing such an amzing job with Sam, even when the writing doesn't do her justice.
                                Kingdom of Samanda : Hic Comitas Regit

Comment

Working...
                                X