Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ChopinGal

(snipped awesome post)

I think I'd have to agree now that Sam as Scientist would probably be the hardest to relinquish.
    Spoiler:
    And I wonder if that's why she seems reluctant to return to the SGC in the upcoming Beachhead? Maybe Carter has now reached a point in her career where she has found her true calling: director of research and development at Area 51.

Any thoughts on the subject?
    i like sam as both scientist and soldier, but if i had to pick one to keep, i'd choose scientist.

the first time this question ever entered my mind was a few years ago in an amanda interview. i can't remember what the question was that made amanda answer this way, but she said something like sam's true love was science. as much as i *love* soldier sam, i love her scientific side more.

hope i'd not have to choose, but that article snippets you gave made me wonder what sam would have been like all this time if she'd not been in the military.

sally
    sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
      Spam it up then

Next week is a good week for me. Season 8 of SG-1 and Season 1 of BSG released on DVD and Sam/Amanda comes back to SG1!
      Just to up their post count?

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
        Spam it up then

Next week is a good week for me. Season 8 of SG-1 and Season 1 of BSG released on DVD and Sam/Amanda comes back to SG1!
        Kind of like this???

***annoying isn't it?

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
          i like sam as both scientist and soldier, but if i had to pick one to keep, i'd choose scientist.

the first time this question ever entered my mind was a few years ago in an amanda interview. i can't remember what the question was that made amanda answer this way, but she said something like sam's true love was science. as much as i *love* soldier sam, i love her scientific side more.

hope i'd not have to choose, but that article snippets you gave made me wonder what sam would have been like all this time if she'd not been in the military.

sally
          Actually we don't have to wonder...we've seen 3 alternate universe Sams and all three were scientists...

Comment

I think I'd have to agree now that Sam as Scientist would probably be the hardest to relinquish.
            Spoiler:
            And I wonder if that's why she seems reluctant to return to the SGC in the upcoming Beachhead? Maybe Carter has now reached a point in her career where she has found her true calling: director of research and development at Area 51.

Any thoughts on the subject?
            I think that it would be a very difficult decision for Carter. IMO she very much enjoys and seeks the challenge of being a soldier and a scientist, and that that combination is what gives her real satisfaction. I think it would be hard for her to give up the explorative part that Stargate clearly offers her, the joy and excitement she feels when she gets to go off world and discover new planets. To actually be there and be the one discovering something new rather than "just" sitting in a lab and taking stuff apart that others bring to her.
            But, I think, in the end, she would pick the scientist over the soldier, if she'd have to choose. There was a good point in the small segment that CG posted: Sam has a tendency to be a scientist wherever she is. And more than once did she have to decide whether to follow her instincts as a scientist or to follow orders, which never seemed easy for her. I am sure that in some situations she would have (re)acted differently if she didn't have to follow orders.
            Anyways, that's my HO. I am glad that she gets to be a soldier and a scientist because that's what makes her who she is, makes her unique and that's why I admire the character so much. She is not only brilliant but also tough, and still manages not to loose her feminine side.
            I only wished they would give her a more humorous side from time to time.

Sorry to go on like that, kinda lost it there for a second. But it's a good topic.

P.S. BTW - I do have that paperback CG is talking about and I read parts of it more than once. It is very interesting, entertaining, and also funny at times. A good read for every fan.

Thank you, Skydiver

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
              Me too! I loved the scene when the house explodes and Barrett lands on top of Sam.

What are you doing?

Sam: What are you doing?
              Barrett: Covering you.
              Sam: Thank you...get up.

Poor Sam, she can't help it if she is a man magnet.

LoL, I was trying to cap the picture above and when I paused the screen and got a chuckle when I saw this cap.
              Waiting for a Kiss

LOL Man magnet i like that!
              Heh,heh,heh. I looked at your pic and this came to mind>>>
              Sam thinking>>>Don't kiss me, don't kiss me, oh what the hell the black widow curse has got to be broken some time! KISS ME!!!!
              Sorry could'nt resist
              ......TARA......

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
                Actually we don't have to wonder...we've seen 3 alternate universe Sams and all three were scientists...

yeah, you're right. i guess i was thinking more along the lines of 'our' sam, but... it gets confusing because the only way we'd see what our sam would be like not in the military, would be for her to be in it at first (and we 'see' it), and then quit.

(i think i just snapped a vein in me brain )

now... *clears throat*

here's to post number 4000!

sally
                sally

sigpic

Comment

Has anyone read a paperback called Stepping Through the Stargate, Science, Archaeology and the Military in Stargate SG-1? It's a compilation of essays about the show and team contributed by astrophysicists, scifi writers, archaeologists, doctors, retired AF gal, Tom McBeath (Maybourne) and James Tichenor (visual effects producer). That's a sampling ... it's a fun and interesting read as each chapter addresses specific aspects ... from the Goa'uld staff weapon as a viable military weapon (not!) to the archetypes portrayed by Sam, Daniel, T, and Jack.
                  I have, I have! I got that book ages ago . A much fun read.

...deepspace is a PROUD MEMBER of the Sam's A Great Character Thread...

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

Originally posted by NearlyCircular
                    Wouldn't it be nice if Cam was married? Then we wouldn't have to worry about seeing the inevitable Captain Kirk syndrome when he visits other planets, or more UST with a coworker(the doctor?) And if I'm putting together a wish list, they could have Sam and Cam actually talk about the kind of problems that being married would create, the kind Sky has mentioned before, like explaining to his wife why he left home pale and came home with a sunburn, or how tough it is to keep things secret from a spouse.

NC

Ohh i like that idea!
                    I think that would show another layer to Sam and keep SPOILERS FOR S9>>
                    "
                    "
                    "
                    "
                    "
                    "
                    "
                    "
                    "
                    "
                    "
                    "
                    "
                    "
                    "
                    "
                    "
                    "
                    "
                    and keep Jack very much part of sg1, also it would be nice if in talking about Jack to Cam, Sam could show him just how much of Jack has rubbed off on her over the years.

Ohhh i've just seen that this is my 300 post and most of them in this thread too!
                    ......TARA......

Comment

Hi Campers ... some great posting going on ... RL has kept me away but I did receive a second postcard from Astro and it looks like she may still be on vacation (I thought her third week was last week but must have counted wrong). Anyhow, since things are a bit slow BSR (before Sam returns) ... why don't I share what Astro wrote:

"Aloha from Maui! We've been on the top of the volcano Haleakela at 10,000 feet - an awesome view down into the crater. Down at sea level we've been snorkeling and visited Molokini by boat. (Molokini islet is a little volcanic cone roughly three miles off the coast of Maui.) A spectacular geologic and oceanographic wonder ... have seen bottlenose and spinner dolphins, green sea turtles, spotted eagle rays, octopus, barracuda, moray eels, lobster and an amazing array of beautifully colored fish. Say 'hi' to the folks on the SaGC thread for me!"

She is *so* in her element! I hope we get to see some fantastic photos when she returns! I can't help but remember how moved Astro was with AD's rendition of Sam and "What a Wonderful World" and I have this image of her swimming underwater peering at the marine life and the song running through her mind!
                      Thanks Jest
                      So good to hear some news from astro, and it sounds like she's having an awesome time.

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
                        Kind of like this???

***annoying isn't it?

lol
                        of course it is uber honey, but that's your job, remember? Royal pain in the mikta?

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

CONGRATS TO SALLY!
                          4000 woohoooo!!!!!

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

Milestones!!

Congrats to Tara3583 for post 300
                            Congrats to Sally for post 4000 ( - WOW)

Comment

Originally posted by deepspace
                              CONGRATS TO SALLY!
                              4000 woohoooo!!!!!

i can't rep you, so THANK YOU!

you put a lot of work into that sweet message, so really, thank you, hon.

sally
                              sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by deepspace
                                lol
                                of course it is uber honey, but that's your job, remember? Royal pain in the mikta?
                                A title I adore and identify with more than any other my dear deep...

...space...

Comment

Working...
                                X