Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Coley
    Something at the back of my memory is telling me it wasn't a REAL motorbike 1speed - though poss 1 up from Strix's moped. What is the model again?!
    I'm so going to pay for that!!!
    Moped? Moped! I'll have you know that my Honda scooter is a highly sophisticated, mean machine quite capable of reaching lethal speeds in seconds.

I'm telling you, it easily reaches 40 mph... with a stiff tailwind... downhill...

And actually the safety issue is very real. This morning I was almost run over in the hospital parking lot as I went to drop off a card for a friend. The universe has a perverse sense of humor, especially seeing as it was a big, black, expensive SUV pulling out of a space in the physicians' lot. Wealthy doctor in big SUV vs. poor Strix on her little scooter trying to save a few bucks...it would have been a rather ironic SPLAT, what with the emergency room only 50 yards away and all...

My LJ

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
      just checking in for a minute. we finally made it to las vegas. we spent yesdarday at Arches National Partk and hiked around. got some sweet pictures. now we're spending the night at vegas, then onto the grand canyon tomorrow

i hope you guys are all having fun and being good and hopefully i'll be able to check in for longer later
      Hey Sky, sounds like an awesome trip! Try to catch the California condors at the Canyon... and get up early to watch a sunrise, and stay late to see a sunset...

My LJ

Comment

Originally posted by zats
        We're getting more of the sibling thing with Cameron, too. It's a nice change to see her with a guy who's not hitting on her.
        Yes, it would be fun to see her tease him a bit kind of like she did Jonas. I agree with those who said Sam's relationship with Jonas was one of the good points of Season 6. I would have liked to see more of it.
        I'm wondering if Sam knows Cameron from a previous post or the AF academy.

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
          Not sure if she enjoys skiing or not, but Vancouver is a very good place to live if she does.

She does enjoy kayaking from what I have read. Do you kayak?

Personally, I don't think AT and I really have much in common, other than we are both prone to accidents. However, she seems to be the bounce right back and try again type of person whereas I tend to shy away from the experience. I'll try something at least once, but I'm not a real thrill-seeking adventurer.
          I read that she kayaks, too. In one of the DVDs she talked about being outdoorsy, hiking etc. & the area seems great for it. I love that her husband plays hockey with the SG guys too. It really seemed like such a close knit group. She doesn't seem like the kind of person to get caught up in a "star" lifestyle.

I probably enjoy & admire the physical "Action Sam" stuff so much because it's stuff I could never do. Also most people "our" age that I know (ok, I'm about a year older than AT ) aren't nearly so fit--so I'm pretty impressed with AT.
          Last edited by jckfan55; 10 August 2005, 01:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Simhavaktra
            LOL! Now I'm having another mental image...................

"Jack - "

"What???"

"It works better if you hold on... lower... than that."

"Oh! Like - "

"Farther up than that, and farther - forward - too!"

"Then - "

"Not there, either, Jack!"

"Ohhhh, Carter. You're - "

"Trying to drive, here, Jack."

"In motorcycle leathers, too. Ohhh, yeah."

"They'll still be leathers even if you dont put your hands all over them while I'm driving, Jack. There's a strap on the seat, hold on to that while we're moving."

"And what can I hold onto when we stop?"

"If it's a traffic light, how about your discretion?"

"Oh, Carter..."

I can so see Sam on that X2 now - Jack, however, I can see on his rump in the middle of the road, watching her bring the bike down from the wheelie that dumped him there if he isn't a well-behaved passenger!
            ROTFLOL This is a scream ... but you're taking all the good lines away from my fanfic! I may have to let you write this story instead!

I think I remember an interview somewhere where AT jokingly said she didn't wear much leather on the show because "if Sam did that, it would drive Jack wild!" Your little vignette above pretty much proves it!

Comment

Hi Campers ... some great posting going on ... RL has kept me away but I did receive a second postcard from Astro and it looks like she may still be on vacation (I thought her third week was last week but must have counted wrong). Anyhow, since things are a bit slow BSR (before Sam returns) ... why don't I share what Astro wrote:

"Aloha from Maui! We've been on the top of the volcano Haleakela at 10,000 feet - an awesome view down into the crater. Down at sea level we've been snorkeling and visited Molokini by boat. (Molokini islet is a little volcanic cone roughly three miles off the coast of Maui.) A spectacular geologic and oceanographic wonder ... have seen bottlenose and spinner dolphins, green sea turtles, spotted eagle rays, octopus, barracuda, moray eels, lobster and an amazing array of beautifully colored fish. Say 'hi' to the folks on the SaGC thread for me!"

She is *so* in her element! I hope we get to see some fantastic photos when she returns! Here's one that I just found on the web ...

I can't help but remember how moved Astro was with AD's rendition of Sam and "What a Wonderful World" and I have this image of her swimming underwater peering at the marine life and the song running through her mind!
              Last edited by ChopinGal; 10 August 2005, 05:12 AM.

Comment

guess what i'm going to do?....

10 DAYS 'TILL SAM/AMANDA RETURNS!!

sally

ps - i have less than 10 posts to do before i hit 4000...
                sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
                  guess what i'm going to do?....

10 DAYS 'TILL SAM/AMANDA RETURNS!!

sally

ps - i have less than 10 posts to do before i hit 4000...
                  Spam it up then

Next week is a good week for me. Season 8 of SG-1 and Season 1 of BSG released on DVD and Sam/Amanda comes back to SG1!

Comment

Originally posted by zats
                    We're getting more of the sibling thing with Cameron, too. It's a nice change to see her with a guy who's not hitting on her.
                    i'm getting that too. and i'm liking it.

sally
                    sally

sigpic

Comment

Has anyone read a paperback called Stepping Through the Stargate, Science, Archaeology and the Military in Stargate SG-1? It's a compilation of essays about the show and team contributed by astrophysicists, scifi writers, archaeologists, doctors, retired AF gal, Tom McBeath (Maybourne) and James Tichenor (visual effects producer). That's a sampling ... it's a fun and interesting read as each chapter addresses specific aspects ... from the Goa'uld staff weapon as a viable military weapon (not!) to the archetypes portrayed by Sam, Daniel, T, and Jack.

Thought you might enjoy a small segment written by a Kelly Walters, M.A., about Samantha Carter as an example of the Scientist as archetype:

Courage, struggle and a willingness to defy convention are also hallmarks of the Scientist archetype. But these very traits often put them in conflict with society or authority ... In other words, part of the Scientist's job description includes a rebellious nature ... taken in healthy doses, that wild, rebellious streak is what makes Scientists pursue a line of questioning that most other people would never consider.

Luckily for Sam, she's found a job that supports her wild streak - both as a Scientist and as a soldier. It's no secret that Sam (like the rest of the crew) is an adrenaline junkie who thrives on adventure. In her case, this comes out by piloting planes in the Gulf War, going on dangerous missions through the Gate and joyriding on her motorcycle. But it also comes out in her personal life. In "The First Commandment", she admits she was once engaged to Hansen, because she "had a soft spot for the lunatic fringe". In "Prodigy", she takes the precocious (and rebellious) cadet Jennifer Hailey under her wing because she reminds her of herself.

As an astrophysicist, it's her job to look at the universe in new ways and as a member of SG1, it's also her job to experience it.

... One of the things that I find most fascinating about Samantha Carter is her tendency to be a Scientist wherever she is. Check her out in "There But for the Grace of God" and "Point of View". On two separate occasions, alternate-universe Sam chose not to be a soldier - but remained a scientist, one who was pivotal in the creation and running of the Stargate program in both realities. And, in these episodes, Dr. Carter was able to apply her knowledge of the Stargate to bring a positive result for our planet - if not her own.
                      Note: the underlines are mine.

I thought this was an interesting reminder of a discussion we had a while back about what makes Sam tick ... and, if she had to give up a part of her professional life, which part of herself would she choose to let go - the soldier or the scientist?

I think I'd have to agree now that Sam as Scientist would probably be the hardest to relinquish.
                      Spoiler:
                      And I wonder if that's why she seems reluctant to return to the SGC in the upcoming Beachhead? Maybe Carter has now reached a point in her career where she has found her true calling: director of research and development at Area 51.

Any thoughts on the subject?

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia
                        Moped? Moped! I'll have you know that my Honda scooter is a highly sophisticated, mean machine quite capable of reaching lethal speeds in seconds.

I'm telling you, it easily reaches 40 mph... with a stiff tailwind... downhill...

And actually the safety issue is very real. This morning I was almost run over in the hospital parking lot as I went to drop off a card for a friend. The universe has a perverse sense of humor, especially seeing as it was a big, black, expensive SUV pulling out of a space in the physicians' lot. Wealthy doctor in big SUV vs. poor Strix on her little scooter trying to save a few bucks...it would have been a rather ironic SPLAT, what with the emergency room only 50 yards away and all...
                        ROTFLOL Beep, beep!

Comment

Originally posted by Ancient 61
                          Calling all Southern California "Samandans".
                          How about a get together to celebrate her return. We could meet someware and have a party. Let me know if interested.
                          Brilliant idea! There are a few west coasters here in Samanda ... hope they PM or email you Ancient! I'm 3,000 miles away so can't join the party!

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
                            Spam it up then

Next week is a good week for me. Season 8 of SG-1 and Season 1 of BSG released on DVD and Sam/Amanda comes back to SG1!
                            Spam? What's Spam?

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Spam it up then

Oh you mean completely irrelevant and worthless posts?

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Spam it up then

Where people offer up a tidbit of nonsensical mumbo jumbo...

Comment

Working...
                                X