Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Strix varia
    If I had to guess, it's probably because not everybody is going to be enamoured of the whole "royal court of Samanda" thing. Even though we try to be open and friendly, we're still kind of a clique. I know when I first lurked, I thought this thread was veeeerrrryyyyy strange... If Astro hadn't been so kind as to invite me over (repeatedly, I think), I probably would have run for the hills. And see what I would have missed! But it's probably not everybody's cup of tea.

And on edit, I should point out that I am very glad I stuck around here. To each their own; this is thread is wonderful. As someone else said, there can't be too much love for Amanda.

Hugs,
    Strix
    Yeah, if I hadn't already been around when the "Court" formed, I might have thought it was too weird.

Comment

Heya deepspace... I was just speculating... we certainly don't deliberately throw up any barriers to new people, and as you say, we have many new people who have joined recently. I'm just guessing that some folks coming to the list may not understand all of our "in" jokes...our talk about the court, etc. etc. and may not feel like sticking around to figure it all out. As you point out, this thread has a lot of history to it. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that; certainly no need for apologies or guilt... anyone can join the thread if they want. But just like any other social group, not everyone is going to feel like they fit in.

As for Chopingal and I getting together... she lives in Pennsylvania; I live in Oklahoma, so, no, we don't live in the same part of the country. But I was in Lancaster Pennsylvania for some meetings, and we arranged to get together to tour Amish country and Valley Forge National Park before I returned home. It was a fun day, and very lovely to meet a fellow Samandan in person.
      When I joined you not too long ago, there was a huge barrier I had to climb : the quality of the posts. I thought I'd never be able to keep on your level. Suffice to say that I was impressed by the whole thread from the beginning. I really needed a good kick in the back to come here. I've never regretted it.
      I made my mind when Samanda's motto came up. Hic comitas regit. So true !There are little places in Gateworld I know where people from all over the world can discuss religion without going into a huge fight. I'm very proud that Samanda is one of those places.
      And to all new Samandans, I've never felt dumb because I didn't understand one of the "in jokes" or one of the rules of the court. Many can testimony here that I've PMed them and I got a very kind and complete answer. Don't fear, ask and you'll get the explanation.
      Think of Samanda as another home.
      Last edited by Lys; 08 August 2005, 08:57 AM.
      Kingdom of Samanda : Hic Comitas Regit

Comment

Originally posted by sueKay
        Hey all!

I've been invited to this thread many many MANY times, and I'v finally taken up the offer!

I love Sam and she truely is a great character...She's the only reason I'll be watching season nine!

Well, I hope I have fun here!

sueKay
        Welcome! This is my favorite thread & kindness definitely reigns here. The more, the merrier!
        Last edited by jerin; 08 August 2005, 09:04 AM.

Goa'uld queen in possession of Daniel, Jonas and Martouf clones
        Lovely signature courtesy of Admiral Q O and Skydiver.

Comment

I think I have a lot in common with AT - I love the performing arts, comedy, I play the guitar (but never in public) and I love science too...

but Motorbikes...*shudders*

I'm a scaredy cat...I took a panic attack when I went on my friends bike!!!!
          sigpic
          Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

Calling all Southern California "Samandans".
            How about a get together to celebrate her return. We could meet someware and have a party. Let me know if interested.

Comment

Originally posted by chocdoc
              You are a lot more upbeat than me about last night's episode!! Thanks for pointing out some important developments--I might have overlooked them. I could find liitle redeeming in last night's episode, except that I do think CB is doing a good job, with not so good material. I just don't think I can take much more of Daniel and Vala. It is unusual for Stargate SG1 to focus so much on only two characters. It's boring to me, and I can't wait for a change.

I cannot even express how much I can't wait for Sam to come back.
              I'm so sick of the Danny & Vala arc. If they wanna pair him off w/ someone, why someone so annoying and unworthy of him? Why? Why? I can't wait for Sam. Runs away whimpering.

Comment

Originally posted by Lys
                When I joined you not too long ago, there was a huge barrier I had to climb : the quality of the posts. I thought I'd never be able to keep on your level. Suffice to say that I was impressed by the whole thread from the beginning. I really needed a good kick in the back to come here. I've never regretted it.
                I made my mind when Samanda's motto came up. Hic comitas regit. So true !There are little places in Gateworld I know where people from all over the world can discuss religion without going into a huge fight. I'm very proud that Samanda is one of those places.
                And to all new Samandans, I've never felt dumb because I didn't understand one of the "in jokes" or one of the rules of the court. Many can testimony here that I've PMed them and I got a very kind and complete answer. Don't fear, ask and you'll get the explanation.
                This is so true !! I feel the exact same way, this thread is great, and Samandans are all very kind. Don't be scared to de-lurk, you won't regret it !!

Hic Comitas Regit !!!!

Comment

If I had to guess, it's probably because not everybody is going to be enamoured of the whole "royal court of Samanda" thing. Even though we try to be open and friendly, we're still kind of a clique. I know when I first lurked, I thought this thread was veeeerrrryyyyy strange... If Astro hadn't been so kind as to invite me over (repeatedly, I think), I probably would have run for the hills. And see what I would have missed! But it's probably not everybody's cup of tea.

And on edit, I should point out that I am very glad I stuck around here. To each their own; this is thread is wonderful. As someone else said, there can't be too much love for Amanda.

Hugs,
                  Strix
                  Just to add my twopennorth...

Like Lys, I too have a huge barrier - the fact that I'm still working my way through the mythology of SG-1 (just finished watching "A Hundred Days"), which means I don't have the foggiest idea what anybody's on about most of the time.

But that hasn't stopped me hanging around - I suppose it was easier for me in a sense as I already knew Coley "out of school", but feel that over time I've come to know and respect everybody who spends time in Samanda. In fact, the whole Royal Court thing probably helps, because it gives me something I can actually join in with now and again, albeit in a wholly off-topic fashion. It's also something of a relief to find that there are people out there (or should that be *in here*) who do actually have *whispers* interests other than Stargate.

And finally, it's nice to always have this friendly place to escape into (although as two or three of you are aware, I did have a bit of a downer on me the other week, when too much RL clouded my view - those same two or three are, of course, the ones who helped me straighten myself out, for which I thank them sincerely).

Hic Comitas Regit.

Comment

Originally posted by Coley
                    You go girl!!!
                    Agreed! I LOVE motorcycles.

Comment

Originally posted by sueKay
                      I think I have a lot in common with AT - I love the performing arts, comedy, I play the guitar (but never in public) and I love science too...

but Motorbikes...*shudders*

I'm a scaredy cat...I took a panic attack when I went on my friends bike!!!!
                      SUEKAY!!!!!!! You came!!!

Yeah... I think I'd be fine on a motorcycle, as long as I was the one driving. I wouldn't like NOT having control over something like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Lys
                        And we're very glad you've stayed Lys, you've become a very valuable Samandan. I've enjoyed reading all your posts, and do not think you have ever had any problem with keeping up with the quality of this thread . I've also had some fun discussions with you via PM on the subject of Blue Jello. And besides, your special, because you share olivia's birthday, so there .

...deepspace is a PROUD MEMBER of the Sam's A Great Character Thread...

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

Originally posted by 1speed4Sam
                          Just to add my twopennorth...

Like Lys, I too have a huge barrier - the fact that I'm still working my way through the mythology of SG-1 (just finished watching "A Hundred Days"), which means I don't have the foggiest idea what anybody's on about most of the time.

But that hasn't stopped me hanging around - I suppose it was easier for me in a sense as I already knew Coley "out of school", but feel that over time I've come to know and respect everybody who spends time in Samanda. In fact, the whole Royal Court thing probably helps, because it gives me something I can actually join in with now and again, albeit in a wholly off-topic fashion. It's also something of a relief to find that there are people out there (or should that be *in here*) who do actually have *whispers* interests other than Stargate.

And finally, it's nice to always have this friendly place to escape into (although as two or three of you are aware, I did have a bit of a downer on me the other week, when too much RL clouded my view - those same two or three are, of course, the ones who helped me straighten myself out, for which I thank them sincerely).

Hic Comitas Regit.
                          And 1speed is the brave guy who joined us crazies even though he'd never seen an episode of Stargate in his life. Now that takes courage . And I totally agree with you on the royal court giving something to talk about. I'm currently in the same position. The thread is currently filled with a lot of season9 talk, and since we don't have season9 here yet I can't discuss it. If we didn't have the royal court to talk about, there wouldn't be a lot else for me to post on at the moment. And one thing that has always made Samanda different, for me at least, is that our discussions aren't just clearcut about one particular subject, and only that subject. We all talk about the things we do, have done, our thoughts on matters other than just that of Sam/Amanda. It makes it easier to get to know people, in my opinion.
                          1speed, who has stuck with us throughout everything, despite having not watched every episode of stargate, let alone numerous times like some of us, has been quite capable of fitting in and contributing to this thread.
                          Sometimes I've wondered if Uber was right to want to close this thread and start a new one. It would perhaps make it easier for newbies to join, but I also feel it would be like demolishing a house. I don't want the existing kingdom, with the people who currently post here, to end up in rubble.
                          So I feel that those newbies who have joined us here, and who have stuck with it until they've figured out our history, are not only persistent but probably some of the most dedicated posters in this thread.

...deepspace is a PROUD MEMBER of the Sam's A Great Character Thread...

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

Yup Spaz...you (and several others) talked me into it!

I'm also afraid of horses...so that's another thing Amanda and I definitely don't have in common!!!!!
                            sigpic
                            Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

Even though i was actually one of the first people to post on this thread (before it was crowned samanda). I rarely post often unless i feel i can make a good post. Since the quality of the posts here are so high, it's hard to keep up.

But i am here everyday to read all of yours!

Comment

Originally posted by THE BIG UNIT
                                Even though i was actually one of the first people to post on this thread (before it was crowned samanda). I rarely post often unless i feel i can make a good post. Since the quality of the posts here are so high, it's hard to keep up.

But i am here everyday to read all of yours!
                                I'm the same. I was here at the start, but I don't post much. I read every single post, though!
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X