Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AmberLM View Post
    I guess for me the ship was always about two lonely, damaged people finding happiness and comfort with each other so it did matter which version of Sam and Jack it was. Nothing but the real thing would have been enough for me lol.
    An entirely fair thing to say, far be it from me to tell you who should be shipping who with what.
    AT and RDA weren't really bothered about the ship back then (although judging by some of the comments at cons I think AT has changed her mind since! )
    The shipper community is strong in this one

It's also not breaking the regs as long as he's not her CO. Military folks get married all the time and I'm not an expert but I'm pretty sure that, as long as they weren't together whilst in the same chain of command, Sam's transfer to Area 51 and Jack's to HWS would have provided a perfect window of opportunity (pun intended lol). It was doable to get around the regs IMO. After they were married the rules for serving together are different, I believe.
    I dunno how accurate this is:
    http://usmilitary.about.com/od/airfo...ernization.htm
    Page 4 and 5 are the most relevant I believe.
    Meh, the episode just wasn't for me. Many shippers and non-shippers disagree with me on all of the above points and that's cool. Makes for interesting discussion.

I'm just disappointed that the Jack ONeill movie wasn't made. Would've brought proper closure from the spoilers.
    Lots of things happened that were, disappointing to different people for different reasons.

Edit: I should probably also clarify that I wasn't shipping Jack and Daniel with that last point (although I'm pretty sure the J/D shippers would have appreciated that little add-in )
    Could be worse, could be the SPN shipping.............
    sigpic
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
      Yes, because given what we knew about the character of Piper she would have naturally become the "big sister." Not to mention the actress having been on the show for years.
      Agreed.
      what if Paige was the actual oldest sister however, or as old as Piper?

I think there was a better way to explain AT's absence.
      Definitely.
      I think the overall problem was that TPTB wanted to do something different with the show and viewed all the old character development as "baggage."
      Agreed. There is a point in time in nearly all long running shows where the original creators will simply get tired of the "same ol, same ol" and should step back and give the reigns to people who have the same amount of passion for the show that TPTB *started* with. A lot of the time, that passion is easily found in the actors.
      sigpic

Comment

The funniest part about the frat regs.....they apply to civilian AND military. Civilian contractors have to follow them too, the biggest difference is if you're military you get court-martialed, if you're civilian you likely just get fired.

That's what always made me shake my head when the frat regs were dragged out as to why Jack/Sam were bad.....well Jack/Daniel was just as bad and just as against the regs.

As it pertains to the regs, BOTH relationships were 'illegal'.
        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
          The funniest part about the frat regs.....they apply to civilian AND military. Civilian contractors have to follow them too, the biggest difference is if you're military you get court-martialed, if you're civilian you likely just get fired.

That's what always made me shake my head when the frat regs were dragged out as to why Jack/Sam were bad.....well Jack/Daniel was just as bad and just as against the regs.

... and so was Daniel / Vala
          -

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
            I disagree, let me find a rant around here somewhere, I am sure I have one just for that response!!!

Is it because you see SAM (not AT) being pushed aside for RCC's..........umm.......... "new toy" in Vala?
            Yes to the first question. Somewhat. I also despised (and i don't use that word lightly) the Ori. I was never a fan of the ascended storyline. I actually was mostly okay with Vala in S10. They scaled her back a bit.

What about in S4 of SGA where Weir gets pushed aside for Sam?
            I couldn't stand Weir after Lost City. So I wasn't sorry to see her go. That being said, Atlantis was a dud after S1 IMO. Amanda moving over there could not save it. I liked Trio and some scenes from other eps (not necessarily Sam scenes either.)

Or Beckett being pushed aside for Keller?(That's an honest question BTW, not a dig, do you see it as just some kind of PTB drool based decision?? )
            I liked Carson. Keller? Not so much.They should have just kept Beckett. I felt bad for Jewell catching such flack. But then, I felt *really* bad for Amanda catching flack too. TPTB exercised an option. They were not *required* to keep her.
            sigpic
            Mourning Sanctuary.
            Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Originally posted by suse View Post

Yes to the first question. Somewhat. I also despised (and i don't use that word lightly) the Ori. I was never a fan of the ascended storyline. I actually was mostly okay with Vala in S10. They scaled her back a bit.
              I liked the Arthurian aspect of it, and there were eps I liked within S9-10, but the Ori storyline I was not a huge fan of either (even with Julian Sands and Morena Baccarin), so I feel ya pain on that one. In fact, if I give it some mild thought, I only really liked the eps where the Ori were in the background, even the Daniel ones.

I couldn't stand Weir after Lost City. So I wasn't sorry to see her go. That being said, Atlantis was a dud after S1 IMO.
              I am a huge SGA fan, but I cannot ignore that SGA really took a hit after contact with Earth was made. To me it cheapened the whole "one way trip" aspect of the series. As for Weir, well, I always liked her (both versions), so I beg a pass on personal predilection for that.

Amanda moving over there could not save it. I liked Trio and some scenes from other eps (not necessarily Sam scenes either.)
              I really disliked *Sam* in SGA, simply because she was not allowed to shine there. All her defining qualities were already filled by other characters, and the best she provided was the "steadying hand of experience", and that was not Sam in my mind.

I liked Carson. Keller? Not so much.They should have just kept Beckett. I felt bad for Jewell catching such flack. But then, I felt *really* bad for Amanda catching flack too. TPTB exercised an option. They were not *required* to keep her.
              Amanda and Jewel should never have been in SGA.
              That's no slight to either of them, its that their *characters* had no place in SGA. If they wanted another strong female in SGA, why not use, oh I dunno, TEYLA?? (another strong female character they wallpapered). Put Shepp in charge and let Teyla run the "SG-1 team", or I dunno, not kill Beckett with an exploding tumor............ (WTF, REALLY??) I think that's where a lot of the flack that Jewel and Amanda got came from, and you are right, *they* did not deserve it. (Sam and Keller.......... different story)
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by RealmOfX View Post
                ... and so was Daniel / Vala
                Yeah....but they were sooo cute!

There was a lot of things not right with Vala being on the team. Don't get me wrong. I kinda like Vala but how do you put someone who's such a high risk with her past and whatnot on the flagship team...or any SG team for that?
                As for Sam and Jack - old story with the regs. Thee was a way around them and I wish tptb had resolved that before the shows end. The whole will they/won't they thing kept us on our toes but it was very obvious these two had deeper feelings for each other than what they would admit.
                My shippy heart says they got together after Jack went to DC.
                "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
                Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

This is my 2nd pyrography (45x35 cm).
                  I finished it in time to get it signed at AT7. Do you like it?

sigpic
                  My vids Sig made by me

Comment

Originally posted by neverendingimagination View Post
                    She was packing at the end of Threads, Jack insisted on moving the box for her. I don't remember if Area 51 was mentioned specifically but she was always going somewhere away from the SGC.
                    She was packing up the ZPM to send it to Area 51 and Jack told her she had packing [for their fishing trip] to do.
                    Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                    Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                    On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Originally posted by XFchemist View Post
                      This is my 2nd pyrography (45x35 cm).
                      I finished it in time to get it signed at AT7. Do you like it?

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640...0/839/vx7t.jpg
                      It's stunning.

<mod note, when you quote images please remove the IMG tags, thanks>
                      Last edited by Skydiver; 09 February 2014, 09:23 AM.
                      Don't get it right, get it written - Unknown, they haven't decided who said it first
                      If you want something in life, you have to work for it

Turn off lights not in use, buy local produce where possible, recycle all you can. Help save YOUR planet.

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post
                        She was packing up the ZPM to send it to Area 51 and Jack told her she had packing [for their fishing trip] to do.
                        I never saw it that way. Perhaps, knowing AT was pregnant I assumed she was packing to go somewhere with her work, ie be written out for a while. It was all very subtle so it can be interpreted in different ways - both with equal likelihood of being correct.
                        Don't get it right, get it written - Unknown, they haven't decided who said it first

Turn off lights not in use, buy local produce where possible, recycle all you can. Help save YOUR planet.

Comment

Could be worse, could be the SPN shipping.............
                          Lol, that's not shipping, that's incest!

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post

Lol, never thought of that!
                          Sam and Jack... Still the best romance on TV in years!

My fanfic http://www.fanfiction.net/~drawntotherhythm

Comment

I never saw it that way. Perhaps, knowing AT was pregnant I assumed she was packing to go somewhere with her work, ie be written out for a while. It was all very subtle so it can be interpreted in different ways - both with equal likelihood of being correct.
                            I took it to mean she was packing for their trip to the cabin, since that was pretty much the next scene that showed up - them fishing at the cabin/lake.

Comment

Hi guys,

I've just put together a mini site AT7 Blog for my friend (murrinholi) and I to record the events of AT7 for her younger brother. He is Autistic and we hope to bring him along to AT8. He thinks a lot of Amanda and wants to be kept informed of everything that is going on.

I've added a photo page, which has my photobucket album on it, so I can share my photos quickly and easily with him. I've also added Memory Book for everyone to add their favourite memories, photos or stories, that way the mini site is then a record of AT7 for everyone to look back at, and not just for him.

We'd really appreciate it if you would join in and leave a story, photo or a memory. I've already share the link in the Gabit thread and, I'm about to share it on twitter and fb.

Anyone who isn't coming is welcome to read the blog and memory book, and look at the photo's.

Thanks Nei and Murrinholi

P.S. I've swapped the usual gif banner for a jpg, this should make it much easier to access via mobile devices. If you click on 'home' you won't be able to get back, it still links back to my main site and the .gif banner will slow you down horrendously.

Comment

Hi guys,

I've just put together a mini site AT7 Blog for my friend (murrinholi) and I to record the events of AT7 for her younger brother. He is Autistic and we hope to bring him along to AT8. He thinks a lot of Amanda and wants to be kept informed of everything that is going on.

I've added a photo page, which has my photobucket album on it, so I can share my photos quickly and easily with him. I've also added Memory Book for everyone to add their favourite memories, photos or stories, that way the mini site is then a record of AT7 for everyone to look back at, and not just for him.

We'd really appreciate it if you would join in and leave a story, photo or a memory. I've already share the link in the Gabit thread and, I'm about to share it on twitter and fb.

Anyone who isn't coming is welcome to read the blog and memory book, and look at the photo's.

Thanks Nei and Murrinholi

P.S. I've swapped the usual gif banner for a jpg, this should make it much easier to access via mobile devices. If you click on 'home' you won't be able to get back, it still links back to my main site and the .gif banner will slow you down horrendously.
                                What a fabulous idea! Very cool!

Comment

Working...
                                X