Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
    Well...you are close to the border, some of it must have rubbed off
    Then what's my excuse?? I said pro-cess the other day!
    sigpic
    Mourning Sanctuary.
    Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Originally posted by JanSam View Post
      So.....in your experience, what do Kansas folk have a touch of?
      A touch OF? Touched, perhaps...

suse
      grin, duck and run behind JanSam
      sigpic
      Mourning Sanctuary.

Comment

Originally posted by suse View Post
        Then what's my excuse?? I said pro-cess the other day!
        You're finally learning to speak correctly?!?!?!
        -

Comment

Originally posted by RealmOfX View Post
          *high fives the little rubber duck*
          "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
          Hug Your Loved Ones!!
          ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Originally posted by RealmOfX View Post
            Originally posted by Chelle DB View Post
            *high fives the little rubber duck*
            It's odd because I only IM via typing with Canadians/Aussies. It's not like I'm *hearing* you talk! If I were I'd have a mutt (a la Ames) accent by now!
            sigpic
            Mourning Sanctuary.

Comment

OT RAGE:
              Spoiler:

My stepmom passed yesterday. I need to be there for Dad and work on getting the details finished for the Homegoing service. I'm not the point person, but I *do* have stuff to do.

I gotta ask. When you call your supervisor to notify her that you need some time off because there is a death in the family, should she not know how long you can take fo bereavement leave? Or at least offer to find out and call you back? "You will find out when you bring in the program/death announcement." SERIOUSLY??? Then she ends the call with "Have a nice day." Sure, I'm willing to be understanding that it was habit (or not, because I'm still pissed about it) but not after the supreme lack of proactiveness on her part. I also forgot to call in as I left yesterday and she said there was nothing to be done about that either. (Work assigns points for not coming in/calling out when you leave off schedule. Methinks I will be talking to *her* boss after I'm not in a rage.
              sigpic
              Mourning Sanctuary.

Comment

OT RAGE:
                Spoiler:

My stepmom passed yesterday. I need to be there for Dad and work on getting the details finished for the Homegoing service. I'm not the point person, but I *do* have stuff to do.

I gotta ask. When you call your supervisor to notify her that you need some time off because there is a death in the family, should she not know how long you can take fo bereavement leave? Or at least offer to find out and call you back? "You will find out when you bring in the program/death announcement." SERIOUSLY??? Then she ends the call with "Have a nice day." Sure, I'm willing to be understanding that it was habit (or not, because I'm still pissed about it) but not after the supreme lack of proactiveness on her part. I also forgot to call in as I left yesterday and she said there was nothing to be done about that either. (Work assigns points for not coming in/calling out when you leave off schedule. Methinks I will be talking to *her* boss after I'm not in a rage.
                Spoiler:
                My condolences to you and your family on her passing first. xx

I know when my Dad passed away a couple years ago, I was told that I would get bereavement time off of only 3 days. One for the actual day of his passing, one for his wake and the last for his funeral. Given that there was an extra day in there while details were still being put in motion given the unexpectedness of his passing and not having things set up with the funeral home in advance, I actually had to go to work (or not get paid one day) the day before his funeral. Kinda weird working when my Dad had just died two days prior, but I had no choice. Definitely wasn't the most chipper dealer that night, but I didn't really care.

Also, I had to bring in a signed form from the funeral home to actually *prove* I wasn't faking his death so the bereavement period would actually be PT off. Seriously? How many people fake a parents death? :/

Comment

OT RAGE:
                  Spoiler:

Spoiler:
                  I'm sorry for your loss. I hope you'll be OK, and I hope you knock some sense into your boss. Some bosses are just... dumb.

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
                    The farm hand?

Originally posted by EH-T View Post
                    I've always thought you were "special".

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                    in my experience, michigan and minnesota folks do have a touch of the long o's and nasal speaking of a canadian accent.
                    And northern Michigan, Minnesota and Wisconsin have a touch of the Swedish.

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                    whatever it is, wanna confound the crud outta a brit???? break out the exaggerated midwestern twang...they just stare and squint and struggled to find the words to say 'what the frak are you saying you ruddy yank?'
                    Haven't gotten that yet.

Generally speaking, do folks across the pond have trouble understanding American accents? I know there's a couple I even have trouble with. I only ran into one woman I had trouble understanding while I was in the UK. She was from Glasgow. Didn't have any trouble with the Edinburgh accent. Is the accent around Glasgow generally heavier, or was it just that woman?

OT RAGE:
                    Spoiler:

Spoiler:
                    So sorry to hear of your loss. Your supervisor was incredibly insensitive.
                    Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.
                    William Shakespeare

Meddle ye not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and tasty with ketchup.
                    Anon

Comment

OT RAGE:
                      Spoiler:

Spoiler:
                      Sorry for your loss.
                      No Sam w/o a Jack and no Jack w/o a Sam.
                      It's like and immutable law of the multiverse.

Comment

It's odd because I only IM via typing with Canadians/Aussies. It's not like I'm *hearing* you talk! If I were I'd have a mutt (a la Ames) accent by now!
                        I prefer to think of it as a 'funky hybrid' accent, thank you very much! LOL
                        (My best mate H has been 'home' from Norwich for the past three months ... her accent is fading, slowly, except when the two of us start talking about England again -- then both the accents return strong. Drives her mother crazy (just amuses mine), and gets funny looks from others -- I had a shop owner on Sat night ask how long we'd been in Canada and then look dumbfounded when H explained we were actually both from here, and I'd been back over 3 years )

Originally posted by rderoch View Post
                        And northern Michigan, Minnesota and Wisconsin have a touch of the Swedish.

Generally speaking, do folks across the pond have trouble understanding American accents? I know there's a couple I even have trouble with. I only ran into one woman I had trouble understanding while I was in the UK. She was from Glasgow. Didn't have any trouble with the Edinburgh accent. Is the accent around Glasgow generally heavier, or was it just that woman?
                        Yes, in general they do, depending on the accent. Or they assume everyone is American from over here (I worked long and hard to break my staff/students of that habit - now unless you've got a southern drawl, they ask if you're Canadian first! LOL). Glaswegians have one of the strongest brogues of all the Scots, so I've been informed. I was practically adopted into a Glaswegian family over here (my boss was from Glasgow, and her parents referred to me as the 'granddaughter they didn't have to pay for' as I was at ALL the family gatherings whenever they flew over) -- so when I went to Scotland for the first time, the only place I felt I could actually understand everything being said was in Glasgow! (I mentioned that to the tour bus guide and her and the driver were so chuffed they gave H and I free rides ) So yeah, if you're not used to it, the Glaswegian accent is heavier than other areas of (southern) Scotland - I've not been to the Highlands before (is so on my to-visit list!!!), so can't speak to their accents in comparison.
                        ...awaiting inspiration...and time/energy/know-how!

SanctuaryWorld - Enter the New Reality
                        ames on facebook
                        ames on LJ (codename "bluejelloqueen", of course! )

Comment

Thanks peeps. You're the best.
                          sigpic
                          Mourning Sanctuary.

Comment

OT RAGE:
                            Spoiler:

(((Suse and her Dad))) Kicks insensitive supervisor!

Mumsey
                            For details of AT10 go to http://www.gabitevents.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by ames View Post
                              Glaswegians have one of the strongest brogues of all the Scots, so I've been informed. I was practically adopted into a Glaswegian family over here (my boss was from Glasgow, and her parents referred to me as the 'granddaughter they didn't have to pay for' as I was at ALL the family gatherings whenever they flew over) -- so when I went to Scotland for the first time, the only place I felt I could actually understand everything being said was in Glasgow! (I mentioned that to the tour bus guide and her and the driver were so chuffed they gave H and I free rides ) So yeah, if you're not used to it, the Glaswegian accent is heavier than other areas of (southern) Scotland - I've not been to the Highlands before (is so on my to-visit list!!!), so can't speak to their accents in comparison.
                              Glaswegian isn't that strong, it's just a west coast accent that's a wee bit different than the accents on the east coast of Scotland. I am originally from Dundee, which is in east central Scotland, and it has a very strong accent.

As you go further north, you will find strong accents in Aberdeenshire, but I think you'll find that you'll have most fun with the accents of Orkney and the Shetland Isles.
                              sigpic

Comment

When my dad died I actually had to tell my supervisor how much leave I was eligible for and that I needed to give her a copy of the death annct, or didn't have to but she would have been within her rights to ask for it.
                                I'm lucky in at I could have had a week and more upon supervisors approval. I took a couple of days because I needed to drive to Colorado.
                                Sadly, people do fake relatives deaths to get 'free'time off. And, unfortunately sincere people get caught up in it.

My condolences suse.
                                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X