Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by Historian
    Has anyone seen the new Stargate Primer on GW ? It is for the new fans, the ones that don't know what happened for the last 8 seasons. There is a bio for all the principal characters, and the seasons, and all and all.

    To see about Sam, http://www.gateworld.net/articles/fe...hapter08.shtml

    The "brains" of SG-1 is Lt. Colonel Samantha Carter, played by Amanda Tapping. Carter is a brilliant astrophysicist, an accomplished Air Force pilot, and the world's leading authority on the Stargate. She is sensitive to personal and moral issues, but committed to her duty and the chain of command.
    After flying missions in Operation Desert Storm, Carter worked for two years at the Pentagon in Washington, D.C., trying to make the Stargate program a reality. When Daniel Jackson opened the gate and interstellar travel possible, Sam joined the S.G.C. as a member of its flagship unit -- SG-1.

    Sam's father Jacob Carter was a retired U.S. Air Force General, who blended with a Tok'ra (a member of a group of rebel Goa'uld who have allied with Earth against the Goa'uld) named Selmak in order to save his life from cancer. Jacob served as a liaison between Earth and the Tok'ra for six years, helping SG-1 in countless vital missions before his recent death. His symbiote died of old age, and Jacob's commitment to holding on to his friend and saving the galaxy one last time resulted in his own death, as well.

    Colonel Carter is the one to turn to when questions arise about the Stargate and its functions, wormhole physics, cosmology, and more. She is also a passionate woman, who is fiercely loyal to her team and immensely capable of doing her job.

    SPOILERS (Highlight below to read):
    Spoiler:
    She shares personal feelings with Jack O'Neill, but the two have reached an understanding that they cannot act on their feelings so long as they serve in the military together.

    After a string of romantic interests who met a grizzly end (Jonas Hansen, Martouf, Orlin, Joe Faxon, Narim), Carter found a steady boyfriend -- a detective from Colorado named Pete Shanahan (David DeLuise). The two were even engaged, but Sam recently broke off their relationship. It is likely that her muted relationship with Jack O'Neill will continue, with the General's new position in Homeworld Security still being over Sam in the chain of command -- though recently they appear to have reached an understanding that they won't be happy with anyone else.

    Seems like they don't intend to develop the ship between Sam and Jack, keep maintaining the status quo. Funny. There's no mention of the ship on Jack's bio. Why do ships always end-up on the female side ?
    Thanks for the post, Historian - and I echo your closing sentiments!
    Originally posted by Agent_Dark
    Wow, GateWorlds back up. Yay!
    Lucky I had some fanfic to get me thru

    Was reading Woman's Work and it's sequal Woman's World by Admiral.
    Woman's Work has Sam trapped offworld, hunted by a Horus Guard (complete with Sam!Whumping ) while Women's World has Sam going back to that same planet to forge an alliance with their people
    I suppose I should warn you that Woman's World as Sam and Pete. Together (post Chimera, pre Affinity). Though why I am including that in the warnings, I'm not sure...
    Oh, it also has Sarah Gardener too! :O

    Both great Action/Adventure stories (minimum of ship. I like em like that )
    Thanks for the fic rec, AD!

    Comment


      Originally posted by jckfan55
      Thanks for these suggestions. I'd add for those interested in women pilots in World War II---a great documentary done by PBS (American Experience Series) called "Fly Girls." It's about the Women's Airforce Service Pilots (WASPs). They flew every plane the men did (though not in combat) because they were often testing them out. You may be able to find this in your local public libraries.
      I saw this on PBS ages ago and it was wonderful! The real-life Sam Carters of WWII!

      Comment


        Originally posted by Skydiver
        he wrote GRIZZLY end????? dude, grizzly is a bear (or a man with white/silvery hair, ie grizzled)

        sigh, ya buys em books and still they just don't get the english language.
        Grisly is the proper term, not grizzly

        like what, did Jack kill all her boyfriends
        Noooooo, you've uncovered the "grizzly" truth, Jack did kill all of Sam's boyfriends. Sam found out, couldn't turn him in, her feelings for him being too strong, so she dumped Pete (not only to save his life, but also because he needed to be dumped) and then, what does our lovely Sam find, when she goes to tell Jack her reasons for cancelling the wedding? Jack with a floozy!

        Oh the humanity!

        (sorry, a wave of silliness just hit me, it will pass. I'll go take a pill and lie down)
        On fighting:
        Farrah: "A swordsman does not fear death, if he dies with honor."
        Dr. Who: "Then he's an idiot."

        Comment


          Originally posted by Historian
          Has anyone seen the new Stargate Primer on GW ? It is for the new fans, the ones that don't know what happened for the last 8 seasons. There is a bio for all the principal characters, and the seasons, and all and all.

          To see about Sam, http://www.gateworld.net/articles/fe...hapter08.shtml

          The "brains" of SG-1 is Lt. Colonel Samantha Carter, played by Amanda Tapping. Carter is a brilliant astrophysicist, an accomplished Air Force pilot, and the world's leading authority on the Stargate. She is sensitive to personal and moral issues, but committed to her duty and the chain of command.

          After flying missions in Operation Desert Storm, Carter worked for two years at the Pentagon in Washington, D.C., trying to make the Stargate program a reality. When Daniel Jackson opened the gate and interstellar travel possible, Sam joined the S.G.C. as a member of its flagship unit -- SG-1.

          Sam's father Jacob Carter was a retired U.S. Air Force General, who blended with a Tok'ra (a member of a group of rebel Goa'uld who have allied with Earth against the Goa'uld) named Selmak in order to save his life from cancer. Jacob served as a liaison between Earth and the Tok'ra for six years, helping SG-1 in countless vital missions before his recent death. His symbiote died of old age, and Jacob's commitment to holding on to his friend and saving the galaxy one last time resulted in his own death, as well.

          Colonel Carter is the one to turn to when questions arise about the Stargate and its functions, wormhole physics, cosmology, and more. She is also a passionate woman, who is fiercely loyal to her team and immensely capable of doing her job.

          SPOILERS (Highlight below to read):
          Spoiler:
          She shares personal feelings with Jack O'Neill, but the two have reached an understanding that they cannot act on their feelings so long as they serve in the military together.

          After a string of romantic interests who met a grizzly end (Jonas Hansen, Martouf, Orlin, Joe Faxon, Narim), Carter found a steady boyfriend -- a detective from Colorado named Pete Shanahan (David DeLuise). The two were even engaged, but Sam recently broke off their relationship. It is likely that her muted relationship with Jack O'Neill will continue, with the General's new position in Homeworld Security still being over Sam in the chain of command -- though recently they appear to have reached an understanding that they won't be happy with anyone else.

          Seems like they don't intend to develop the ship between Sam and Jack, keep maintaining the status quo. Funny. There's no mention of the ship on Jack's bio. Why do ships always end-up on the female side?
          First of all, if the writer can't differentiate between a bear hug and a gruesome end, s/he's already lost credibility in my book!

          Secondly, the inclusion of "relationship material" for one of the involved parties (Sam) but not for the other (Jack) really ticks me off. It takes two to tango, folks! After eight seasons of Sam taking the heat for her "emotions and UST re: Jack", let's at least have the guts to write copy that infers he also is interested in Sam!! His relationships with women have had their ups and downs too (why aren't these gals named like Sam's entourage?!).

          Let's suppose, from the few hinted (somewhat canonical) moments in Threads and Moebius 2, that O'Neill is finally coming to his senses and admitting his devotion to Carter. Since TPTB aren't going to take a risk (which would be applauded by mature independent women and half the fanbase) by relieving Jack of command over his former 2IC, then at least acknowledge that Carter and O'Neill have come to some kind of mature and honorable arrangement about their present status (regs) and future possibilities (retirement or re-assignment). Holy Hannah! Can this semi-canon be inserted into both Stargate biographies?

          Balance and fairness, folks! That's all I'm asking!

          And, Spaz, yes those cloying lines of "sensitivity to personal and moral issues" and "immensely capable of doing her job" somehow aren't ringing true to me either.
          Last edited by ChopinGal; 11 July 2005, 11:18 AM.

          Comment


            Thanks for voting in the Favorite Episodes Tournament! But your support is still needed. The game is in Round 27 now. I hate to see any Sam-centric episodes eliminated, and Grace is already gone!

            Please keep voting! Catch up on the tourney (and which eps have been eliminated so far) here:
            http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=12889

            Be careful! If you accidentally vote for an ep that has already been eliminated, none of your votes will count in that round.

            Thanks!

            Comment


              Originally posted by sg-1fanintn
              Thanks for voting in the Favorite Episodes Tournament! But your support is still needed. The game is in Round 27 now. I hate to see any Sam-centric episodes eliminated, and Grace is already gone!

              Please keep voting! Catch up on the tourney (and which eps have been eliminated so far) here:
              http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=12889

              Be careful! If you accidentally vote for an ep that has already been eliminated, none of your votes will count in that round.

              Thanks!
              Yep. Grace isn't my all-time favorite ep, but I was surprised to find that it was eliminated so quickly. There's definitely been... *gulp* worse...

              (I'm loathe to say that any of them are absolutely AWFUL or "THE WORST," heh heh... Call me chicken. )

              Comment


                Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
                Yep. Grace isn't my all-time favorite ep, but I was surprised to find that it was eliminated so quickly. There's definitely been... *gulp* worse...

                (I'm loathe to say that any of them are absolutely AWFUL or "THE WORST," heh heh... Call me chicken. )
                The hard thing with such votes is that not everyone uses the same standards to vote for the "best". My choices are based on the episodes I enjoy the most, those I like watching again and again. That's not to say that they're the best in quality or acting.
                For example, Entity is very low in my list of enjoyable episodes because I find it too static and really, really too shippy. But I'm the first one to acknowledge that AT's acting in this episode is absolutely splendid. Tough choices.
                Kingdom of Samanda : Hic Comitas Regit


                Comment


                  Originally posted by sg-1fanintn
                  Thanks for voting in the Favorite Episodes Tournament! But your support is still needed. The game is in Round 27 now. I hate to see any Sam-centric episodes eliminated, and Grace is already gone!

                  Please keep voting! Catch up on the tourney (and which eps have been eliminated so far) here:
                  http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=12889

                  Be careful! If you accidentally vote for an ep that has already been eliminated, none of your votes will count in that round.

                  Thanks!
                  maybe i'll go back to it but i got tired of having my choices questioned. my least favorite episodes are when the actors chew the scenery, and unfortunatly daniel gets a lot of those.
                  Where in the World is George Hammond?


                  sigpic

                  Comment


                    *groans*

                    Looking through the forum, I guess it's nice to know I'm not one of a few who was disturbed beyond reason to find that they were cutting the opener down.

                    I know I'm not the only one who was looking forward to totally revamped credits to go with our totally "revamped" series. I guess I just didn't expect them to be so... drastic.

                    Maybe the 10-second opener will be really intense and insane! Except... All I keep thinking about is that montage at the end of "Threshold" right before Teal'c decides to once again deny Apophis. The shots are all going at the speed of light and it's actually pretty cool. So help me, if the opening credits are like that...

                    But can't you just imagine the original Stargate and Atlantis themes speeding through like monkeys on crack with fast-paced clips flying by?

                    Yeah... Neither can I.

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by Skydiver
                      maybe i'll go back to it but i got tired of having my choices questioned. my least favorite episodes are when the actors chew the scenery, and unfortunatly daniel gets a lot of those.
                      What does "chew the scenery" mean, Sky?

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
                        What does "chew the scenery" mean, Sky?
                        It happens only when Daniel goes through the "scenario" as if he was having a very bad case of stomachache. All those trees to chew and digest ! The man needs good teeth and good gastric juices !
                        Kingdom of Samanda : Hic Comitas Regit


                        Comment


                          Originally posted by Lys
                          It happens only when Daniel goes through the "scenario" as if he was having a very bad case of stomachache. All those trees to chew and digest ! The man needs good teeth and good gastric juices !
                          What? Eh? Heh heh... Do you have any examples? Is this like "Death Knell," "The First Ones," or "Enemy Mine," or am I just a lot more dense than I thought...

                          PS... I'm pretty sure this is gonna be some kind of big crime, but I MUST ask you folks: What does "Hic Comitas Regit" mean?

                          *cringes and awaits outbursts, sticks and tomatoes...*

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
                            What? Eh? Heh heh... Do you have any examples? Is this like "Death Knell," "The First Ones," or "Enemy Mine," or am I just a lot more dense than I thought...

                            PS... I'm pretty sure this is gonna be some kind of big crime, but I MUST ask you folks: What does "Hic Comitas Regit" mean?

                            *cringes and awaits outbursts, sticks and tomatoes...*
                            There will be NO outbursts on this thread!

                            "Hic Comitas Regit" is our (Samanda's) motto: Here Kindness Reigns.

                            Has a nice ring, doesn't it???
                            On fighting:
                            Farrah: "A swordsman does not fear death, if he dies with honor."
                            Dr. Who: "Then he's an idiot."

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
                              What? Eh? Heh heh... Do you have any examples? Is this like "Death Knell," "The First Ones," or "Enemy Mine," or am I just a lot more dense than I thought...

                              PS... I'm pretty sure this is gonna be some kind of big crime, but I MUST ask you folks: What does "Hic Comitas Regit" mean?

                              *cringes and awaits outbursts, sticks and tomatoes...*
                              Sorry if I offended you. I'm guilty of beeing in snarky mode tonight.
                              And I didn't notice anything like that in Death Knell, The First Ones or Enemy Mine. In fact I enjoyed them.
                              Kingdom of Samanda : Hic Comitas Regit


                              Comment


                                Originally posted by Lys
                                Sorry if I offended you. I'm guilty of beeing in snarky mode tonight.
                                And I didn't notice anything like that in Death Knell, The First Ones or Enemy Mine. In fact I enjoyed them.
                                Snarky? Our Royal Pharmacist snarky???? Never, I just will NEVER believe it. Surely you are just feeling the combined "antsy-ness" of the entire Forum, as the night of the Premiere's draws ever closer.
                                On fighting:
                                Farrah: "A swordsman does not fear death, if he dies with honor."
                                Dr. Who: "Then he's an idiot."

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X