Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lys
    Great words ! And so true about this thread !

If I may ask, MajorSam, what's wrong with French ? (French girl here )
    Hello Lys,

Actually, it's a political canadian thing that has nothing to do with French from France. It's a thing about, I think it was mentioned at POTE ?, people like me. And you're either in one camp, or the other. Very hard to change camp.

But, hey, were not that bad. You can actually find people here who also believe that SAM'S A GREAT CHARACTER

Great fanfic Astro. Not finished yet, but it's great til now

And I love the new motto
    Last edited by Historian; 03 July 2005, 07:47 AM.
    sigpic
    There are only two things to worry about: either you are well or you are sick.
    If you are well, then there is nothing to worry about: but if you are sick; there are two things for you to worry about: either you get well, or you die.
    If you get well, then there is nothing to worry about. If you die: then there are two things to worry about: either you go up or down.
    If you go up, then there is nothing to worry about. But if you go down, you will be so busy shaking hands with old friends you wont have time to worry.

Comment

Here is a very interesting and colorful chevron flying atop a castle in a small town in England where I stayed last September ... it may give us an idea of a design. I believe the colors are orange and yellow (or could be) ... maybe we can adapt a flag from a model like this?

Oh yea ... what say? Graphics designers please have a go if you so wish!

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y11...dII0904134.jpg

Maybe the Queen's colors should be orange and blue for the royal flag:
      orange for AT's favorite color and blue for Sam's blue jello!
      Last edited by ChopinGal; 03 July 2005, 08:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Historian

Actually, it's a political canadian thing that has nothing to do with French from France. It's a thing about, I think it was mentioned at POTE?, people like me. And you're either in one camp, or the other. Very hard to change camp.

But, hey, were not that bad. You can actually find people here who also believe that SAM'S A GREAT CHARACTER

And I love the new motto
        Historian, you have expressed yourself well and, in the spirit of the new motto, we certainly respect and welcome the honorable POTE here also!

A bit OT, but, for any of us on this thread who want to know more about our friends to the North, there is a really good author, Michael Adams, who explores the diversity of the Canadian culture in Sex in the Snow, and then turns his attention to the differences between Canada and the United States in Fire and Ice. Both books are based on social research and some eye-opening points are made.

CG

Comment

Originally posted by Historian
          Hello Lys,

Actually, it's a political canadian thing that has nothing to do with French from France. It's a thing about, I think it was mentioned at POTE ?, people like me. And you're either in one camp, or the other. Very hard to change camp.

Great fanfic Astro. Not finished yet, but it's great til now

And I love the new motto
          Thanks for the explanations Historian !

The fun part about these two camps is that actually "pote" means buddy in French. Great way to apply the Samandan philosophy don't you think ?

Anyway, there's nothing wrong with Canadians on both parts of your camps. Great "cousins" for the French speaking side and great people whitout whom Stargate wouldn't exist for the English speaking side.
          Kingdom of Samanda : Hic Comitas Regit

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
            Now, Samandans, find some flag designs and share here so we can finalize the flag and apply the motto!
            I'm not a herald, and this was my first attempt at using Photoshop, but perhaps it will spur some other people to come up with better ideas:

http://www.gyrfalcon.net/vikingchick/samandaflag.jpg

My LJ

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia
              For me it would all depend on when it is scheduled, and what my finances look like. But I've promised my partner a trip to England and Ireland at some point...
              Here's the scoop for my fellow Samandans regarding GABIT:

This event was organized about two years ago by a loyal group of British AT fans who had gotten to know her primarily through her appearances at the London Gatecons and the annual Gatecon in Vancouver. I happened to become acquainted with one of these GABIT gals and was corresponding with her at the time that the very first attempt at GABIT was promoted. Thinking, wow, what the heck?! ... I managed to pre-register and actually got two of the last tickets for the exclusive Friday-night cocktail party with our Queen.

GABIT stands for "Get Amanda Back in Town" ... and these fans wanted to honor AT and give her a special weekend alone with her fans instead of her having to contend with the larger numbers and interruptions of a general scifi convention. They hoped that this would become a regular event and certain activities were planned: a raffle for "tea with Amanda" on that Sunday, a charity-driven auction during the weekend (AT had chosen a British non-profit agency which trains dogs to become companions to hearing-impaired folks), and the cocktail party on first night. Around the weekend, Amanda would be doing talks and meeting with her small band of admirers. I think they were limiting admission overall to 250-300 which, from what I was told, is about half the size of a regular free-for-all convention.

Personally, I'm not interested in the larger (and crazier) venues (although I do think some fans really have found quite a lot of fun). Financially and timewise, I just can't do it ... and my only real passion is AT/Sam Carter ... so, yes, I'm psyched about the GABIT event.

Unfortunately, the first GABIT was cancelled because AT's shooting schedule was extended; then, the second date was cancelled because of AT's pregnancy. That, of course, was very good news. But, we are now waiting to hear if AT has committed to a third reschedule date - either this coming Fall or next Spring or late Winter.

I am hoping (selfishly) that the event now goes up early next year as I've already paid for my vacation abroad this September. Like many of you have mentioned, the timing and the expense of such an outing will be the factors which will make or break the people coming from this side of the pond.

I plan to be in touch with my original buddy soon and she should be reporting about the new dates. Once GABIT has gotten final details, I'll share here. In meantime, you can go to their original webpage (but it looks like nothing much has changed there the past several months) ... just do a Google search for "GABIT" and the website should pop up!

When I first signed up for the AT con, I was not even on this thread or writing fanfic ... so a lot has happened ... and now we have a group of Samandans who possibly may actually form a group there for the weekend. What fun that could be! The more, the merrier!

I'll keep supplying details as they come in and really hope that the timing will allow many of us to meet in person and share our Samandan selves and get to know each other around meeting the one-and-only Amanda Tapping!

Comment

Maybe a little late, but the new promo pics are awesome! Hopefully more news will follow soon! I think It's great that the powers the be finally aknowledged Sam's existence, and that she's an integral part of the show, judging from her place in the pic and the cover on TV Guide.

I'll talk about something less redundant later.
                Alice in Chains, Metallica, Jerry Cantrell.
                Pure metal.
                Go Red Sox and Patriots!
                My favorite CD ATM: Master of Puppets, by Metallica.

Comment

Originally posted by Lys
                  Thanks for the explanations Historian !

The fun part about these two camps is that actually "pote" means buddy in French. Great way to apply the Samandan philosophy don't you think ?

Anyway, there's nothing wrong with Canadians on both parts of your camps. Great "cousins" for the French speaking side and great people without whom Stargate wouldn't exist for the English speaking side.
                  I'm loving this ... I just coined the term "POTE" as an acronym to express the "people of the east" (coast of Canada) and here it actually means something good! Hic comitas regit!

Yes, Lys, oui, c'est vrai ... there is room for everyone at Samanda! Thanks so much for the translation!

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia
                    I'm not a herald, and this was my first attempt at using Photoshop, but perhaps it will spur some other people to come up with better ideas:

http://www.gyrfalcon.net/vikingchick/samandaflag.jpg
                    Good job, Strix! Although, with a motto like "Kindness reigns here", do you think we may want to show AT in less battle-ready attire?!

That's something we may have to address ... I love her "Don't tread on me" image though ... hmmm ...

Feedback from the citizens? Should Sam Carter's image appear on the royal flag and how should she look?

Keep those flags and ideas comin', folks!

Comment

J'aime Sam, aussi.
                      I thought I'd try and follow the current language theme of this thread (badly).

Hello.
                      I have a question/request, and I'd thought I'd post here because who else would know the delightful Sam best.
                      I'm stewing a fic at the moment which is Sam centric, but I want to see if what I'm thinking is right or very far off centre character wise. So what I'd like is a little help finishing this sentence from Sam's POV:

Life would be so much easier if....

Obvious example being, "there weren't these dang regs". It can be silly or serious, but preferably a bit more away from the 'ship issue.

Also, has she ever lost anyone when she has been in command (not inc. Daniel ) like members of other teams.
                      I'm thinking no, but I just want to check.
                      Last edited by smurf; 03 July 2005, 09:22 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
                        Good job, Strix! Although, with a motto like "Kindness reigns here", do you think we may want to show AT in less battle-ready attire?!

That's something we may have to address ... I love her "Don't tread on me" image though ... hmmm ...

Feedback from the citizens? Should Sam Carter's image appear on the royal flag and how should she look?

Keep those flags and ideas comin', folks!
                        Heh! You know, I actually thought of that, but I only had two pictures of her that show her feet, and in the other one, she's shooting her P-90...

Back to the drawing board...

My LJ

Comment

OK !

My attempt to a Samandan flag. Please be kind, I'm not a great artist.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v681/LysSG/flag.jpg
                          Kingdom of Samanda : Hic Comitas Regit

Comment

smurf

i think answering your question would depend on your fic. is it shippy? if so, then yes, something about regs or being free to talk would be appropriate while if sam's marooned on an alien planet chased by jaffa 'life would be much easier if they couldn't track me' would be better

as to who sam has lost, well there was major mansfield i believe in Summit/Last Stand. Sam was with him when he died and she removed his dog tags to give to hammond. also there was elliott/lantash. and martouf
                            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Okay, it was a lot easier trying to come up with something that didn't have Sam in it, and I did it in PaintShop Pro this time, with which I am much more familiar.

So here's another try, and I like this one a lot better.

http://www.gyrfalcon.net/vikingchick/samflag.gif

My LJ

Comment

Originally posted by Lys
                                OK !

My attempt to a Samandan flag. Please be kind, I'm not a great artist.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v681/LysSG/flag.jpg
                                Ooooo, I like this!

My LJ

Comment

Working...
                                X