Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jckfan55
    Hopefully you've been gone b/c you're busy writing part 2!
    That has been part of it!

S

My LJ

Comment

The problem with getting promoted is that it takes you out of the field (and I would think probably out of the lab) and into more administrative roles. So Lt. Colonel may be a good slot for Sam for a while. Of course knowing Sam, even if she were put in charge of Area 51, she'd still be doing a lot of the science herself. It will be interesting to see how she settles in with the new general.

BTW, I thought they handled Sam's promotion badly--a bunch of anti Sam types have said it looked like O'Neill did it on his own authority. I don't think it works that way. My interpretation was that she was due and Jack may have pushed for the paperwork to be expedited so he could make the announcement. When he said "I get to do cool stuff like this" I took it to mean make the announcement. What do others think?

You know, jckfann55, I am going to preface what I say with --- I don't really care what this small, very vocal, minority of antiSam types think. They will take anything Sam does and turn it into the negative.

But to address your question, my friend in the military said that any promotion like this actually has to be approved by a committee, and most likely Hammond would have been the one to initiate the paperwork for Carter's promotion -- it takes awhile. So, yes, I interpret the situation like you did---Jack got the chance to actually follow through to the end result and then make the announcement. He alone could not have approved the promotion Carter to Lt. Colonel. It doesn't work that way.

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia
        That has been part of it!

S

Hey, that's good news. Can't wait to read part 2!!

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia
          Hey all, sorry I've been MIA for a while. I did want to profusely thank all of you who provided lovely comments about my latest story.

I hate to clutter the list with a lot of thank you messages, so I hope you'll forgive the blanket message, but I want you to know that I do really, really appreciate the feedback.

Many, many hugs,

Strix
          Strix, baby ... we say it because we mean it! You are providing some terrific Samfic ... intelligent and provocative and so well written.

While on this topic ...

May I say thank you to all Samandan Scribes ... many of you have been my role models, especially Astrog and Sky and even that 'ole pain in the mikta, Uber. Then there's Myrth and MajorSam and, omigosh, Tok'ra Hostess, too. And others I'm sure.

I'm very excited to be included in this prestigious company of authors now that my first Samfic attempt has actually made it to the Stargate Awards nominations and the updated Stargate Novel Archive. So excited, in fact, that I was playing with the ideas for my second fic while driving back from the Berkshires. I may want to be a bit more risque this second time around. So, Agent Dark, please excuse the ship ... I promise to return to more action/adventure with the team after I turn my attention briefly to Jack and Sam for #2. Just have to get it out of my system.

Here's to our merry Samandan band of scribes - if TPTB don't give us the Sam Carter we want in S9, we'll just have to write the stories ourselves!

Comment

BTW, I thought they handled Sam's promotion badly--a bunch of anti Sam types have said it looked like O'Neill did it on his own authority. I don't think it works that way. My interpretation was that she was due and Jack may have pushed for the paperwork to be expedited so he could make the announcement. When he said "I get to do cool stuff like this" I took it to mean make the announcement. What do others think?

I'm with chocdoc on the "disregarding antisam comments" theory, but I have to admit that I took it that way when he said it. While I'm a shipper, I would never want it to look like Sam got a promotion because of Jack... But when he said it that way, it did kinda sound like he was behind it. I think you guys are right in thinking that he just got the paperwork moving faster so he could make the announcement himself. I think it's a nice throwback to when she was promoted to Major. Anyone who doesn't like to see ship can just see a CO who's proud of his 2IC's accomplishments. However, if Hammond had been around for it or if the President had called Jack or something, it wouldn't have seemed so one-sided. I just don't think they had time to bring that much exposition into the reasonings behind her promotion, though FCOL.

Apparently, in order to ward off those who fervently dislike certain characters, you have to provide ALL of the evidence and ALL of the facts and not leave ANYTHING to the imagination. Grr... Whatever.

On to S9, dang it!

PS - I distinctly remember making a request for someone to render me unconscious until July 14. Alas, I'm still awake and lucid. And here I was thinking you were the good guys...

Comment

WTG ChopinGal!!!!!!! I've never tried my hand at fanfic, but as soon as I'm finished my current project, I will definitely go for it. You have all been an inspiration. And it's not like I won't have the time.

Congrats again Chopin.....go for number 2!

Comment

Oh Yea Times Single Report Edition(Written and Edited by the Royal Accountant)

How (Most) Men Are

It was hot – very hot – and humid. The air conditioning was on (a single, small, portable electric fan) and all the (2) windows were open. But still up here on the 5th floor the heat was oppressive.

I’d just come back from a rather fraught meeting with the Director of Highways (my boss) and walked into the office to be confronted with the sight of 3 of the 5 chaps I’m in charge of lolling out of the window.

It took me all of a few seconds to realise that it was not the temperature heat which was getting to them, but the sight of some “hot tottie” walking by wearing what I assume (as I wasn’t near the windows) was next to nothing. Mouths were open and eyes out on stalks. I wondered if the drool had actually made it to ground level yet. I said nothing.

“Not bad eh!”

One of the chaps said. He and one other pulled back from the window a little and saw me. Spotting a superb opportunity one of them said to the other chap who was still gawking out of the other window totally transfixed and unaware of my presence.

“What do you think Andy?”

“Not Bad! She has a nice pair – they’re fair bobbing along”

Rather pleased with himself the goading chap continued

“Your cup of tea?”

“I certainly wouldn’t say no to a girl with a nice large pair like that!”

It was my turn:-

“I’ve heard it all now Andy!”

His head shot up and hit the window bottom. He stuttered a bit “uhhhoh!” He went red and sat at his desk hiding himself behind the computer.

“Are you really that basic?” I asked him?

“I thought you would know at your age we all are!”

He scored points for managing to fit a veiled insult into his reply.

I sighed – thought of Vala and chest revealing costumes and had to finally accept that the character will please more Stargate Fans than it annoys.

It is just how (most) men are!!!
                Last edited by Coley; 29 June 2005, 12:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz

I'm with chocdoc on the "disregarding antisam comments" theory, but I have to admit that I took it that way when he said it. While I'm a shipper, I would never want it to look like Sam got a promotion because of Jack... But when he said it that way, it did kinda sound like he was behind it. I think you guys are right in thinking that he just got the paperwork moving faster so he could make the announcement himself. I think it's a nice throwback to when she was promoted to Major. Anyone who doesn't like to see ship can just see a CO who's proud of his 2IC's accomplishments. However, if Hammond had been around for it or if the President had called Jack or something, it wouldn't have seemed so one-sided. I just don't think they had time to bring that much exposition into the reasonings behind her promotion, though FCOL.

Apparently, in order to ward off those who fervently dislike certain characters, you have to provide ALL of the evidence and ALL of the facts and not leave ANYTHING to the imagination. Grr... Whatever.

On to S9, dang it!

Alas, I have come to the "astonishing" conclusion that there is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING that can be done to ward off this minority who fervently dislike this character. It really wouldn't matter at all how the above scenerio played out. There is always something to get your knickers in a knot if you want to find it (and this seems so for any group of fans who fervently dislike any of the characters).

So onward season 9! Onward wonderful fanfics by talented folks here---and yeh! to Chopingal on her good news about her fanfiction!

And yeh to this thread that is positive about one character, without denigrating the other characters. thank goodness.

Comment

Maybe we could do a bit of a group project? I've always wanted to do a group fic, but... it'd definitely require a lot of time. I'm game if anyone else is!

Comment

Originally posted by Coley

How (Most) Men Are

It was hot – very hot – and humid. The air conditioning was on (a single, small, portable electric fan) and all the (2) windows were open. But still up here on the 5th floor the heat was oppressive.

I’d just come back from a rather fraught meeting with the Director of Highways (my boss) and walked into the office to be confronted with the sight of 3 of the 5 chaps I’m in charge of lolling out of the window.

It took me all of a few seconds to realise that it was not the temperature heat which was getting to them, but the sight of some “hot tottie” walking by wearing what I assume (as I wasn’t near the windows) was next to nothing. Mouths were open and eyes out on stalks. I wondered if the drool had actually made it to ground level yet. I said nothing.

“Not bad eh!”

One of the chaps said. He and one other pulled back from the window a little and saw me. Spotting a superb opportunity one of them said to the other chap who was still gawking out of the other window totally transfixed and unaware of my presence.

“Your cup of tea?”

His head shot up and hit the window bottom. He stuttered a bit “uhhhoh!” He went red and sat at his desk hiding himself behind the computer.

I sighed – thought of Vala and chest revealing costumes and had to finally accept that the character will please more Stargate Fans than it annoys.

Whoa! Royal Bean Counter, this latest edition of our Samandan Times is troubling indeed. And the "veiled insult" was not very wise if you're his boss.

I don't quite know how to respond to your experience other than probably agree that the strange encounter in office seems to portray the more lascivious nature of the male species. However, many a "lady" has been known to check out certain attributes of the opposite sex too. Yet I would hesitate to say "that's just how most women are!"

Yes, a certain male demographic will be getting their jollies from Vala and her special talents in the early episodes, but I really think there are a lot of decent guys in the world who will not be frothing at the mouth too. Even our own 1Speed expressed, in a very gentlemanly fashion, his own embarrassment at the gratuitous use of nudity in COTG. Maybe I'm just an optimist and not a realist?!

Shame you didn't push 'ole Andy boy through the window so he could get a closer look!

And, now, dear friend, I am turning red as I divulge the working title of my upcoming fanfic ... dare I say it?! It's gonna be called Heat. LOL Turn up those air-conditioners a notch, and just remember that I had this title in my mind before your latest edition of the royal paper!

Hmmm ....

Comment

I know I promised you all a barbeque, and I'm working on it for the July 4th holiday weekend (we American's love our fireworks and picnics), so I thought I'd bake a cake (heavy on the marzipan) to get you in the mood. This IS a cake, so please use a knife and fork and remember, dinner (or lunch) first!

And as always, NO calories or fat.....

Compliments of your Royal Baker
                        Last edited by Atteria; 29 June 2005, 05:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Coley

How (Most) Men Are

“Not bad eh!”

“Your cup of tea?”

ROFLMAO!!!! Thank you Coley for this ... it really does put the new Stargate season into perspective for me at least. I guess there really isn't much use getting ourselves bothered by such things. There are just some things in life you can not control: women get PMS and men are just pigs (OK, maybe not all of them, but a good deal of them. ) ROFL.

EDIT: The other day I posted a note about my new puppy... here's a picture of her( as well as my kids ) if anyone is interested.

http://spaces.msn.com/members/foreversg1/
                          Last edited by ForeverSg1; 29 June 2005, 02:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                            ROFLMAO!!!! Thank you Coley for this ... it really does put the new Stargate season into perspective for me at least. I guess there really isn't much use getting ourselves bothered by such things. There are just some things in life you can not control: women get PMS and men are just pigs (OK, maybe not all of them, but a good deal of them. ) ROFL.

EDIT: The other day I posted a note about my new puppy... here's a picture of her( as well as my kids ) if anyone is interested.

Beautiful puppy, beautiful daughter and I will assume, your beautiful, err, handsome son? Wow!!!!! You are one lucky Samandan! I wish you continued health and happiness for your whole BEAUTIFUL family.

Comment

Originally posted by strix varia
                              Hey all, sorry I've been MIA for a while. I did want to profusely thank all of you who provided lovely comments about my latest story.

I hate to clutter the list with a lot of thank you messages, so I hope you'll forgive the blanket message, but I want you to know that I do really, really appreciate the feedback.

Many, many hugs,
                              Strix
                              Hopefully you've been gone b/c you're busy writing part 2!
                              I agree with jckfan Absences from the Kingdom can be balanced by the creation and posting of wonderful Sam-fic
                              I agree... when I saw how they handled the lead-up to Sam promotion, it was diminished by Jack's 'so I can do cool things like this'... as fun as that line was, it made it seem as if Sam's promotion was largely just because *Jack* wanted to do it. It would have been cool if they had read off some of the valorous and heroic acts and missions that Sam has done over the past years... as well as a comment about how she had deferred taking command of her own team in order to stay on SG-1.
                              Originally posted by chocdoc
                              Onward wonderful fanfics by talented folks here---and yeh! to Chopingal on her good news about her fanfiction!

And yeh to this thread that is positive about one character, without denigrating the other characters. thank goodness.
                              Well said chocdoc!
                              Originally posted by Atteria
                              I know I promised you all a barbeque, and I'm working on it for the July 4th holiday weekend (we American's love our fireworks and picnics), so I thought I'd bake a cake (heavy on the marzipan) to get you in the mood. This IS a cake, so please use a knife and fork and remember, dinner (or lunch) first!

And as always, NO calories or fat.....

Compliments of your Royal Baker
                              Thanks, Atteria! I can always go for a piece of cake... of course, the pic isn't showing up for me right now... hmmm... is the Royal Dietician prescanning my browser pic downloads before I get to see them?

Originally posted by ForeverSg1

And AgentDark and 1speed4sam and the other wonderful guys who post here are definitely some of the good guys!

Kat, your pics are great -- you really should consider photography as a profession - you really have a wonderful eye for composition. Cute puppy, cute daughter... and cute husband too!

Comment

The problem with getting promoted is that it takes you out of the field (and I would think probably out of the lab) and into more administrative roles. So Lt. Colonel may be a good slot for Sam for a while. Of course knowing Sam, even if she were put in charge of Area 51, she'd still be doing a lot of the science herself. It will be interesting to see how she settles in with the new general.

I thought it meant the announcement, too. I looked at it as they are the two military figures, on the same team and the promotions were based on their performance of duty and achievements, they just might get promoted at the same time.
                                In the Kingdom of Hope, there is no Winter

Life is too short for drama & petty things,
                                so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly & forgive quickly!

Attendee of Shore Leave28, AT2 and AVALON
                                Proud Member of the Sam is a Great Character Thread
                                Hic Comitas Regit
                                Member of the Ship, Ship Hooray Special Ops Team
                                Member of Gategrrlz Gone Wild (proud Shore Leave 28 attendee).

Comment

Working...
                                X