Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
    Uh, in the interest of fairness, bink... That is what this thread is all about. I tried to vote on SyFy Portal everyday, and it helped to have someone remind me (which was just about daily!). And I had never ever heard of the site before! Nevertheless, I did what I could to help AT win
    Okay you got me there.

    I agree. When it comes to the PRESTIGE of an award, that would have to go to AT. However, (objective and nonbiased) fan polls can be just as telling of a character/actor's popularity when they're performed properly and fairly. If AT had won, I doubt any of us would be questioning the legitimacy of the pollsters.
    Here is where I digress - I, as I said, hold SFP awards in little regard because I do not consider them "legitimate". Don't all yell or get mad for this but I did not vote in the SFP awards precisely because I feel this way about it and if AT had won I would still feel the same way - no offense to anyone who did vote or anything like that - this is just me.


    And you're opinion's not cynical, Bink. Just very, very, very passionate.
    Thanks, I've been told I've been cynical since I was a toddler . . . .

    Comment


      Originally posted by binkpmmc
      Here is where I digress - I, as I said, hold SFP awards in little regard because I do not consider them "legitimate". Don't all yell or get mad for this but I did not vote in the SFP awards precisely because I feel this way about it and if AT had won I would still feel the same way - no offense to anyone who did vote or anything like that - this is just me.
      Nah... I understand where you're coming from there.

      Originally posted by bink
      Thanks, I've been told I've been cynical since I was a toddler . . . .
      And that, dear bink, is hilarious.

      Comment


        Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
        Okay Samandans... be proud of me!

        I finished over on that ridiculous thread I've been talking about off and on for a while...

        The following is my last post over there in its entirety... JUST REMEMBER, that any 'tude I dished out here was targeted toward others...not my fellow Samandans...



        ======================================

        Okay...here it is...my official LAST post on this stupid thread.

        For the record, so far most of the people on this thread lean toward Carter leading SG-1 permanently...and you and a few others are leaning toward Cam. And with statements like CAMERON'S THE PERMANENT SG-1 TEAM LEADER...LIVE WITH IT, you're only highlighting you're immaturity and insecurity. Neither of us knows what exactly TPTB are going to do. Spoilers point toward Cam being a temp...but maybe that's changed. I don't know and neither do you.

        I've done what I think has been a pretty good job at expressing why I think Sam should regain her position as SG-1 team leader. I stand by it.

        GO SAM GO!!!

















        Take care and have fun arguing with yourself as I am way off of this merry-go-round.

        ======================================

        Love the pics, Uber! (as well as the sentiments)

        Comment


          Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
          Yeah, my beef is with TPTB, and I think Cam SHOULD have been a Major, if their interest really was in letting this guy into SG-1's world in order to "learn from the best." How does ANYONE "learn" ANYTHING when they're coming onto a team that only contains two people, and they're put in a potentially permanent CO position. That's what I wanna know.
          Great post, Dancer!

          Comment


            umm, jack was never a major on the show. i seem to recall him beinga colonel even way back in the original movie
            Where in the World is George Hammond?


            sigpic

            Comment


              Originally posted by Skydiver
              umm, jack was never a major on the show. i seem to recall him beinga colonel even way back in the original movie
              Sky is correct. Jack was a Colonel in the movie as well as the first episode of COTG; however, Kawalsky was a Major in COTG and he was given command to SG-2.

              Comment


                Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
                Interesting new argument on that thread I mentioned earlier...

                Having Sam lead SG-1 would make her too perfect...what role would anyone else fill?

                Here's my response if you'd like to see:

                http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost....&postcount=576

                i went over and read some of those posts... it's basically just sam/amanda vrs mitchell/ben debates. no matter what is said, the ppl that prefer ben will say he should permanently lead sg1. and i really mean that, it really all comes down to that. and that's why i seldom go outside my happy threads.


                sally
                sally

                sigpic

                Comment


                  I just received Deepspace's CD-ROM! Woohoo! (That's the CD-ROM that Deepspace made that has copies of the first 370 pages of the SaGC Thread). It got here, Deepspace! Half-way around the world

                  From the posts about the SaGC Collection, some folks feel that a smaller collection would be OK, while others feel that we should send the Collection as is. Shortening it is a bit problematic as I did not see a consensus of what should be removed from the larger Collection nor a consensus on what should be included in the smaller collection... And some folks actually sent me stuff (or recommendations of stuff) that they wanted added...

                  So... I'd say that we should send it as is... are folks OK with that?

                  ----------

                  I have created an explanatory foreward/note to put in the front... let me know what you all think:

                  To Amanda,

                  This is a collection of notes, comments, photo-artwork, poetry, humor, as well as character and episode discussions for Colonel Sam Carter and Stargate SG-1. Included herein is a CD-ROM with this Collection in Adobe Acrobat PDF format – where the links to other materials (photos, audio files, etc) should work as long as you are connected to the internet.

                  Originally these materials were posted at the Gateworld Forum Thread: Sam is a Great Character (SaGC). Participants range widely in location, age, occupation and life experiences, but all agree in their admiration and appreciation of the wonderful attributes of the character of Sam Carter- as well as yourself, the talented actress who brought Sam to life.

                  A Rich Diversity: Participant ages range from as young as 14… all the way to above 60! Occupations range from scientists, professors, mothers, students, audio-visual specialists, editors, accountants, psychologists, administrators, etc. Thread participants hail from all across the globe – Australia, France, England, Canada, all across the United States, etc. The rich diversity of fans that have participated and given to the SaGC has created a wonderful forum for discussion and exploration of the different facets of the character of Sam Carter and how women are portrayed and perceived in the popular media of our cultures.

                  With such a diversity of participants, the result is a thread of discussions as varied as the participants. Some comments and discussions are serious… while others are humorous or whimsical… some are artistic and creative… while others are more linear… and others are whimsical…. most are positive and hopeful… but sometimes there is some pessimism… sometimes the humor might get a bit raunchy…while other posts might be a bit prudish… Definitely a very rich diversity of opinions, viewpoints and perceptions – between a generally accepting and tolerant group of participants.

                  Amanda, your portrayal of Sam Carter has resonated strongly in so many different people, of all ages, from all walks of life. Thank you so much for each and every day that you spent working and filming for the Stargate series.

                  We hope that you enjoy browsing through this scrapbook of samples of what your fans have created in appreciation of the character Sam Carter and you, the one who made Sam real – because no one else would have made Sam as special as you did.

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                    Sky is correct. Jack was a Colonel in the movie as well as the first episode of COTG; however, Kawalsky was a Major in COTG and he was given command to SG-2.

                    true, charlie was given sg2 as a major

                    i do think sam's concern in shades of grey about them wanting someone other than a major was based on a couple of things. first of all, she's only been a major for a few months. she's still too green. also sg1 is a front line team. it's popular and in the public eye so to speak. so there are political concerns as well.


                    i think, if sam wanted to command, she could have transferred to another team and probably gotten it
                    Where in the World is George Hammond?


                    sigpic

                    Comment


                      my suggestion for scaliing it down was just to scale down the printed material, so save on that cost and postage.

                      however, i'm not doing it, so whatever y'all come up with is perfectly all right with me

                      in fact, if you'd like a donation to help with printing/shipping costs, just let me know.
                      Where in the World is George Hammond?


                      sigpic

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by sg-1fanintn
                        Not to be argumentative, dancer of spaz, because I understand what you're saying, and I know your problem is with TPTB. But Jack was Major O'Neill when the show started.....and he was commanding. So, Cam could have commanded as a major too.

                        And putting them together didn't ruin the show......which was only cancelled because of the cost. So, there's a different ship mindset in Australia than there is in Vancouver!
                        I really don't think anyone can truly make comparisons between Stargate and other shows on the topic of 'To Ship or Not To Ship'. Yes John/Aeryn were allowed to get together on Farscape and it may or may not have been an issue for it's demise. I have no clue as I've never watched the show personally. However, on Farscape from what I have read, Browder's character was an astronaut who was somehow thrown into another galaxy. CB/Aeryn was not his boss, there were no rules or regulations preventing them from being together. So really the only reason they had for not hooking up in season 1 was that the writers didn't want it to happen.

                        Stargate on the other hand, portrays a fictitious division of the United States Air Force. In fact it's the only show on the air to my knowledge that has the backing of the USAF and because of this they have advisors that suggest to the writers what they are and aren't allowed to do on the show and still be within protocol. If for some reason the show chooses to not abide by these rules they lose their USAF backing for that episode. There have been many times that the USAF have asked for them to alter the script. In fact in Solitudes, they did not want Sam to call Oneill ...Jack. But the writers fought to keep it in and obviously they won. However for Sam and Jack to be together romantically one or the other would have to have either quit the Air Force and take a civilian position or been removed from the SG1 team entirely and in my opinion this would definitely have altered the premise of the show. How many team episodes with all four members would we really have had if Sam had been put onto SG7 in order for S/J to have a personal relationship?? Granted the writers could have made a decision to do something drastic in season eight had they really wanted to give some resolution to the ship, but honestly I don't think it would have been feasible during the first seven years.

                        Don't get me wrong, I have enjoyed the ship to a large degree, but it really bothers me when people compare other shows that have successful ship to Stargate because personally to me it's like comparing apples to oranges.

                        Kat
                        Last edited by ForeverSg1; 21 June 2005, 06:37 PM.

                        Comment


                          Here's a Drabble Agent Dark found online written by someone named gracelesslady and it made me laugh so I thought I'd share...it has to do with Sam's love for Blue Jello:

                          ***********************

                          I wrote a poem today, Diary.

                          I love you. Let me count the ways.

                          I love the way you jiggle.
                          I love the firmness of your skin.
                          I love your coloring.
                          I love how every time I look at you, I get hungry.
                          I love how the taste of you hits my tongue and makes me shiver.
                          I love how my spoon cuts through you, breaking you into bite size pieces.

                          Oh, Jello, how I love thee.


                          I like it. Although everyone in the mess looked at me funny when I recited it.

                          I wonder why? I wasn’t that loud.


                          ***********************



                          Last edited by Uber; 21 June 2005, 07:31 PM.

                          ...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by astrogeologist
                            I just received Deepspace's CD-ROM! Woohoo! (That's the CD-ROM that Deepspace made that has copies of the first 370 pages of the SaGC Thread). It got here, Deepspace! Half-way around the world

                            From the posts about the SaGC Collection, some folks feel that a smaller collection would be OK, while others feel that we should send the Collection as is. Shortening it is a bit problematic as I did not see a consensus of what should be removed from the larger Collection nor a consensus on what should be included in the smaller collection... And some folks actually sent me stuff (or recommendations of stuff) that they wanted added...

                            So... I'd say that we should send it as is... are folks OK with that?

                            ----------

                            I have created an explanatory foreward/note to put in the front... let me know what you all think:

                            To Amanda,

                            This is a collection of notes, comments, photo-artwork, poetry, humor, as well as character and episode discussions for Colonel Sam Carter and Stargate SG-1. Included herein is a CD-ROM with this Collection in Adobe Acrobat PDF format – where the links to other materials (photos, audio files, etc) should work as long as you are connected to the internet.

                            Originally these materials were posted at the Gateworld Forum Thread: Sam is a Great Character (SaGC). Participants range widely in location, age, occupation and life experiences, but all agree in their admiration and appreciation of the wonderful attributes of the character of Sam Carter- as well as yourself, the talented actress who brought Sam to life.

                            A Rich Diversity: Participant ages range from as young as 14… all the way to above 60! Occupations range from scientists, professors, mothers, students, audio-visual specialists, editors, accountants, psychologists, administrators, etc. Thread participants hail from all across the globe – Australia, France, England, Canada, all across the United States, etc. The rich diversity of fans that have participated and given to the SaGC has created a wonderful forum for discussion and exploration of the different facets of the character of Sam Carter and how women are portrayed and perceived in the popular media of our cultures.

                            With such a diversity of participants, the result is a thread of discussions as varied as the participants. Some comments and discussions are serious… while others are humorous or whimsical… some are artistic and creative… while others are more linear… and others are whimsical…. most are positive and hopeful… but sometimes there is some pessimism… sometimes the humor might get a bit raunchy…while other posts might be a bit prudish… Definitely a very rich diversity of opinions, viewpoints and perceptions – between a generally accepting and tolerant group of participants.

                            Amanda, your portrayal of Sam Carter has resonated strongly in so many different people, of all ages, from all walks of life. Thank you so much for each and every day that you spent working and filming for the Stargate series.

                            We hope that you enjoy browsing through this scrapbook of samples of what your fans have created in appreciation of the character Sam Carter and you, the one who made Sam real – because no one else would have made Sam as special as you did.

                            This is absolutely beautiful, AstroG. You have done such an amazing job, and your foreward/note is just right. Thanks so much for doing all this work.

                            I would want whatever is easiet for you---sending as is would be great!

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
                              Okay Samandans... be proud of me!

                              I finished over on that ridiculous thread I've been talking about off and on for a while...

                              The following is my last post over there in its entirety... JUST REMEMBER, that any 'tude I dished out here was targeted toward others...not my fellow Samandans...



                              ======================================

                              Okay...here it is...my official LAST post on this stupid thread.

                              For the record, so far most of the people on this thread lean toward Carter leading SG-1 permanently...and you and a few others are leaning toward Cam. And with statements like CAMERON'S THE PERMANENT SG-1 TEAM LEADER...LIVE WITH IT, you're only highlighting you're immaturity and insecurity. Neither of us knows what exactly TPTB are going to do. Spoilers point toward Cam being a temp...but maybe that's changed. I don't know and neither do you.

                              I've done what I think has been a pretty good job at expressing why I think Sam should regain her position as SG-1 team leader. I stand by it.

                              [CENTER]GO SAM GO!!!





                              Great Post Uber! Love the pictures too
                              Btw asked that question to my dad(military guy) he said the only way Cam could outrank Carter was if he was promted the Day before Not Minutes! before Carter. Pretty sure that's right

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by astrogeologist
                                http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...cs/wordify.jpg
                                I like the way you think, Kat!I like how you're thinking big... General Sam Carter!And I'd have to get *all* of the accessories!
                                Little naquadah reactor in a specially designed backpack.
                                Little DHD with removable panels and small took kit for repairs
                                Toy Indian motorcycle - with helmet.
                                Toy F-302
                                *coughs* Now astro... What about those itty bitty teeny weeny boxes blue Jell-O? Just the right size to fit in a pocket or two of her regular backpack....
                                Convention Pix Shore Leave ('06 to '09), AT2, AT3, & AT4 ('06, '08, & '09), and Vancouver ('07)
                                My SG fanfic! ..Click Here.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X