Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 1speed4Sam
    Hi all,

Just a quick fly-by to make sure all's well before I head for the hills tomorrow.

I doubt I'll manage to get online while I'm away, so I've tasked the Royal Accountant with keeping the Red Rose of Lancashire waving proudly in the Samandan breeze (and the sarky post count ticking over). Whether this means she will actually show her face a bit more often than she has recently is another matter...

And although my absence leaves the Samanda Security Force short-handed in the Bike Patrol department, don't have nightmares - our most capable Head of Security and First Assistant Head of Security will have no trouble taking up the slack, while I'm sure Strix will be keeping a close eye on our Queen's six (as usual...).

All the best to everybody, and try not to get too stressed-out. I'll be thinking of you.

1s4S
    Have a good time !
    And don't forget while you're in the hills that there are other mountains still waiting for you.

Kingdom of Samanda : Hic Comitas Regit

Comment

Originally posted by ShimmeringStar
      Grrrrr…. Brad’s “Too Esoteric.” Bull-loney. We’re not talking about robots or cyborgs (who even if they were… we the viewers would be projecting human emotions and personalities onto anyway in an effort to connect with them…) (But it certainly explains season 9’s direction…)
      Gotta agree, SS. And, let's face it, we just love it when Cyborgs examine human morality; why wouldn't we be equally intrigued by an episode that let us see into actual human psyche? Does anyone here remember the M.A.S.H. episode about the main cast's dreams? That was a cool take on how everyone was dealing. Or how about an ep that had - as a sub-plot - a psych evaluation for not only SG-1 but maybe a few other SG teams, kinda in the formula of Atlantis' excellently done Letters from Pegasus?

I mean heck yes, we want to know (read: SEE) the consequences that result from locking up your morals, your qualms, the *lightness* of your soul, down deep into that dark little room in your mind so you can do the parts of your job that are distasteful or that you hate. These characters have been presented as real people, not superheros, and that means baggage and baggage has to be dealt with unless the baggage splits open and the contents go spewing out all over the place…
      <nods> It's too late for it now, what with the Goa'uld being sidelined, but it would have been cool to have an ep that showed SG-1 in a situation where they're helping and comforting a group of Jaffa women and children who's husband/fathers, it later is revealed, SG-1 killed in battle.
      Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
      "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
      One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
      resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
      confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
      A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
      The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

Haven't much to say today, but just wanted to wish 1speed a good trip. And it's good to see everyone a little less tense around here.

...deepspace is a PROUD MEMBER of the Sam's A Great Character Thread...

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
          If i could write/ask for a fantasy episode, i'd love to see sam and teal'c off world and in some mess. one that depends on both brains and fighting ability to get out of. better yet, something like new ground, but with sam instead of nyan. teal'c having to trust a 'lesser warrior' for his survival
          It looks like something you could write. But in the "lesser warrior" perspective, I'd put it in early seasons. Now Teal'c well knows that " Colonel Carter is a formidable warrior".
          Kingdom of Samanda : Hic Comitas Regit

Comment

Originally posted by Lys
            It looks like something you could write. But in the "lesser warrior" perspective, I'd put it in early seasons. Now Teal'c well knows that " Colonel Carter is a formidable warrior".
            very true.

it is a topic that would have been better served about 6 years ago
            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

i posted off, or will as soon as i get to the post office

1 letter to mgm
              1 box of jello to brad
              1 box of jello to peter
              1 box of jello to rob

sigpic

Comment

Originally Posted by pittsburghgirl
                Okay-this is according to the official Stargate Magazine from July/August-the official reason given by AT for Sam's leaving the SGC.

SPOILERS (Highlight below to read):
                Spoiler:
                Amanda Tapping returns to Stargate SG-1 in the season's fifth episode, having taken off at the opening of the year's filming following the birth of her daughter, Olivia.

"After Janet died, Carter took responsibility Tapping explains. "Cassie has had some problems, so Carter went to spend time with her. That's how I'm playing Carter's decision to leave the SGC."
                Just poking my head in here to say that this seems to be the best possible answer to the "Where's Sam?" question that has been bandied about for months. At least, it is by my reckoning. For the character of Sam Carter I see only two plausible reasons for her to leave the SGC. One is her relationship with O'neill (whatever that may be), and two is her relationship with Cassie. Those are now the only two ties Sam has in her life that could possibly take precedent over saving the world, gate travel, working with Daniel and Teal'c, etc. And, seeing as how TPTB seem to consider the former the equivelent to grabbing third rail, having Carter spend time with Cassandra it is then.

Of all the things going on in Sam's life, I do think that her relationships with Cassie and O'neill could both use a little definition and clarification. I'm just pleased that the producers saw fit to take advantage of Amanda Tapping's absence and hopefully used it productively for the character. Having Sam looking after Cassie, in whatever capacity, can only open up Carter for more character development. And that is what keeps all of us, well, at least me, watching each week.

Comment

if it's indeed true and sam took a leave for cassie, then i'm glad. because it really makes sense and it deals with a couple of things, namely janet's departure and the - until now - ignored fallout of that.

and i can see sam leaving her job for cassie. heck, she wanted to adopt her in s1, she WOULD leave her job for her sake.

i think it's also, potentially, a wonderful way to address sam's frustrated maternal issues without having her pregnant or dealing with a baby.

sigpic

Comment

i dont' think they need to belabour every single mistake/person they lose. do i want to see sam moping for a whole episode over her latest loss?

no

however, a mention would be nice. take s6 for example, daniel, even though he wasnt' in it, was remembered.

i do think that, as it pertains to jack, they tried to deal with it a bit in allegiance when he and jacob had a little chat. i found that scene very jack. he was hurt and hurting but didn't really want to get into it and jacob knew.

just little bits, like sam mentioning to teal'c something about cassie or something like that
                    Exactly, Sky! It's just like when I suggested to JM that phone conversations could maintain the integrity of the S/J ship in Jack's absence. His response was, "I don't think viewers would think long phone conversations were good television." I didn't suggest long conversations! Just snippets. Of course (hangs head, looks embarassed), that's about the time I decided it was best for me not to visit JM's thread. I've been much happier since!

Originally posted by golfbooy
                    Just poking my head in here to say that this seems to be the best possible answer to the "Where's Sam?" question that has been bandied about for months. At least, it is by my reckoning. For the character of Sam Carter I see only two plausible reasons for her to leave the SGC. One is her relationship with O'neill (whatever that may be), and two is her relationship with Cassie. Those are now the only two ties Sam has in her life that could possibly take precedent over saving the world, gate travel, working with Daniel and Teal'c, etc. And, seeing as how TPTB seem to consider the former the equivelent to grabbing third rail, having Carter spend time with Cassandra it is then.

Of all the things going on in Sam's life, I do think that her relationships with Cassie and O'neill could both use a little definition and clarification. I'm just pleased that the producers saw fit to take advantage of Amanda Tapping's absence and hopefully used it productively for the character. Having Sam looking after Cassie, in whatever capacity, can only open up Carter for more character development. And that is what keeps all of us, well, at least me, watching each week.
                    And we'll all just be glad when she returns, no matter why she's been gone or where she has been! And may I point out, we're about to take another day off the calendar. When we get up tomorrow, it'll be 28 days and counting til S9 begins......
                    Last edited by sg-1fanintn; 16 June 2005, 07:31 PM.

Comment

Hi all,

Just a quick fly-by to make sure all's well before I head for the hills tomorrow.

I doubt I'll manage to get online while I'm away, so I've tasked the Royal Accountant with keeping the Red Rose of Lancashire waving proudly in the Samandan breeze (and the sarky post count ticking over). Whether this means she will actually show her face a bit more often than she has recently is another matter...

And although my absence leaves the Samanda Security Force short-handed in the Bike Patrol department, don't have nightmares - our most capable Head of Security and First Assistant Head of Security will have no trouble taking up the slack, while I'm sure Strix will be keeping a close eye on our Queen's six (as usual...).

All the best to everybody, and try not to get too stressed-out. I'll be thinking of you.

1s4S
                      somehow I have this need to start singing, "The hills are alive. with the sound of music....." Have a lovely and safe and fun time.

Comment

Originally posted by Atteria
                        Miss you and all the wonderful posts already. You don't know what reading your posts, being able to post how I feel about AT and other things...well, it means alot to me. I've been very ill, and you all have made these past few weeks bearable. Thank you for making me laugh and taking my mind off of RL for a little while. (Big hug)

Big hug backatcha, Atteria. A Blue Jello awaits you on return!
                        MISSION: STARGATE REWATCH 2011-2012 ENGAGED DONE!
                        sigpic
                        Beware Helen Magnus - Doctor of A$$-Kicking

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
                          Per Pittsburghgirl on the Sam/Jack Shipper thread:
                          Originally posted by pittsburghgirl
                          Okay-this is according to the official Stargate Magazine from July/August-the official reason given by AT for Sam's leaving the SGC.

Spoiler:

Amanda Tapping returns to Stargate SG-1 in the season's fifth episode, having taken off at the opening of the year's filming following the birth of her daughter, Olivia.

"After Janet died, Carter took responsibility Tapping explains. "Cassie has had some problems, so Carter went to spend time with her. That's how I'm playing Carter's decision to leave the SGC."

I like that reasoning!
                          It's interesting that AT is deciding how she 'wants to play' the reason for Carter's absence... it implies to me that the scripts do not specify or explain why Carter took the reassignment. That said, if the scripts do not explain the reason, then I like AT's take on it - Cassie!
                          Hi all,

1s4S
                          You'll be missed, 1s4s, but have a *great* time!
                          Originally posted by Strix varia
                          How's this for a real-life Sam?

http://www.airforcetimes.com/story.p...925-918312.php

Too cool!!!!!

Hugs,
                          Strix
                          Great post, Strix! I was impressed by how graciously she credited the women of the Thunderbird program - even though the ones preceding her did not serve as pilots.
                          Originally posted by sg-1fanintn
                          And we'll all just be glad when she returns, no matter why she's been gone or where she has been! And may I point out, we're about to take another day off the calendar. When we get up tomorrow, it'll be 28 days and counting til S9 begins......

Comment

i posted off, or will as soon as i get to the post office

1 letter to mgm
                            1 box of jello to brad
                            1 box of jello to peter
                            1 box of jello to rob
                            Way to go Samandans!

I've gotten some emails from you all and from other boards (most notably the AT board) letting me know of your participation! So I'll just assume that there are people who participated but just haven't shot an email to me at [email protected] yet...*cough*

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Way to go Samandans!

I've gotten some emails from you all and from other boards (most notably the AT board) letting me know of your participation! So I'll just assume that there are people who participated but just haven't shot an email to me at [email protected] yet...*cough*

Uber, have you had a good feedback so far?

Comment

Way to go Samandans!

I have to admit I still have not mailed out my jello. I'll try to get to the post tomorrow. I do have the jello... I have the letter... I have Uber's photo. Unfortunately I had holes to dig, dirt to move, and weeds to pull. My fingers are so sore I can barely type and I've probably given myself heat stroke. I must have been insane to do landscaping in 100F+ weather.

As for Sam's return... seeing as nothing was mentioned about Cassie for an entire year after Janet's death, I can only believe that this is truly AT's personal view of Sam's absense and not the writers. And because of this I will be extremely supportive and happy with this decision. However, if it is the writers way of dealing with things in my personal opinion.. it's too little too late. The way I see it, Sam will have voluntarily left her job and taken on a new position at Area 51 to be with Cassie, and yet we will probably see only a brief scene with Sam where she explains where she's been and how Cassie is doing.

Instead of having Sam waste an entire year deciding whether she wanted to marry Pete or not, they should have spent more time having her deal with being a new single parent. I think it would have been much more interesting and a wonderful opportunity to show Sam in a extremely positive light.

But that's just my opinion,
                                Kat

Comment

Working...
                                X