Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lys
    Please ! Tell me you're living near a hospital ! All of this could be very unhealthy ! Remember the tradition of hardened arteries ?
    Thanks for your concern, Lys. But I do go mountain biking or walking every weekend, so a little treat every now and again can't hurt, can it?

1s4S

Comment

Originally posted by chocdoc
      how often do you see an astrophysicist who is a captain in the Air Force, who can hold her own in two male dominated fields, and is physically fit. I was instantly hooked on the character, and by the last half of the season Sam Carter became an outstanding character in scifi with episodes like Singularity, Enigma, and Solitudes---for me the most outstanding character in scifi. From the beginning, AT played Sam as a multidimensional complex character. I too think that no one could then or now play Sam Carter like AT.

AT made and still makes Sam Carter a believable character that makes you care about her---you can feel what she feels whether it is bravery, exhaustion, anger, hurt, determination, vulnerability, conviction, shyness, fear, silliness, or happiness.

Thanks to AT for bringing Sam Carter to life for a large audience to enjoy and appreciate!!!
      Originally posted by Strix varia
      For my part, I think I latched on to Sam as one of my favorite characters (on TV or in print) because she is unique in her combination of brilliant scientist/soldier as portrayed in a modern day American woman. She's not an alien (like several of Star Trek's strong women); she's not living in the future (or some mythological past, aka Xena); and she's not living on some wildly different fictional world or universe, even if she gets to visit them on a routine basis. She literally could be "the girl next door" (part of Buffy's appeal), but, oh my, what a special person she is.
      The final version of the SaGC Collection is posted for all to peruse (and download if you wish to keep a copy). The links in the PDF file should work if you are connected to the internet.

In the section titled 'A Sampling of the Posted Comments', there are posts that I pulled from the thread, as well as posts recommended for the Collection by many other members of Samanda. The posts that I pulled are on pages 43-68 - and that was mostly from the first 100 pages of the thread (I had hoped to sift through more of the thread, but I ran out of time). I tried to pull out positive, laudatory comments about Sam and/or AT that steered clear of all things 'ship' as well as staying away from 'what we want to see in Season 9'. Ship is too controversial (understatement!) and, as for Season 9... as many have pointed out, much is already done and 'in the can'... and for the rest, we don't know what *AT* wants for Season 9 (nor what she has control over), and I didn't want this Collection to be anything but upbeat for her. I'm hoping that this collection of comments and highlights will be a book that will reside on a bookcase, or with some photoalbums... and that AT will enjoy pulling it out years from now and browsing through the memories and the wonderful comments and praise from her fans.

OK, now, with that all said, Uber has suggested that the Collection might be 'a bit much' and that perhaps the thread should consider sending AT a much smaller collection of materials - with only short notes and some fan-art.

I am OK with whatever the folks on the thread want to do. The SaGC Collection in PDF format is an organized resource of some of the positive aspects and outcomes of this thread... if the folks of the thread would like to simply leave it as such (as a PDF file that the we all have access to), I am OK with that. On the other hand, I am still prepared to print it, have it bound and then send it to AT.

If folks want to do something else... make a different collection or some such, I can create an edited version of the PDF file if that's the consensus.

Of interest, we have noted many times how wonderfully diverse the members of this thread are... and from the comments that have been sent to me about the Collection over the past month, I have discovered that for some folks, the Best Carter Polls and Episode Highlights are their favorite parts of the Collection... while others like the Thread Humor section the best... while others like the Notes to Amanda and other such things at the beginning of the Collection the best... while others like the Samples of Posted Comments the best... while others like the section about the Royal Court of Samanda the best.... So... I don't think it will be possible for everyone to completely agree on what should definitely be included...

I'm going to leave the moderating and overseeing of the discussion to Uber (the discussion of what should go into the Collection that is sent to AT).

Postscript: I think I'm still missing a few things from a few folks... and you can still send them over the next day or two (while the folks on the thread are mulling over the Collection and Uber's question).

And, just in case my preceding passages confused anyone ( ), Uber's question is: Should we send an abbreviated or different version of the Collection, rather than sending the entire Collection as is?

Post-post-script : If I am going to get the Collection printed and bound and off to AT, I need to get it to the printer/binder in the next week or so, as I will be out of town in the latter part of July and beginning of August... Or someone else on the thread could take over the printing, binding, mailing?
      Last edited by astrogeologist; 14 June 2005, 01:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tsaxlady
        Evening or I guess I should say good morning!

I was playing around with a new feature of my MSN account while Gateworld forum was down last night and upload scans of a bunch of Autographed Stargate pictures. Take a look at this site and let me know what you think - should I keep using it? It is a free feature of my MSN account - limited on what I can do - but it may be a good way to post some updates when I'm out of town.

tsaxlady space on MSN
        LOL at first photo - what were you doing? Spiking his drink?!

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist
          The final version of the SaGC Collection is posted for all to peruse (and download if you wish to keep a copy). The links in the PDF file should work if you are connected to the internet.

In the section titled 'A Sampling of the Posted Comments', there are posts that I pulled from the thread, as well as posts recommended for the Collection by many other members of Samanda. ... I tried to pull out positive, laudatory comments about Sam and/or AT that steered clear of all things 'ship' as well as staying away from 'what we want to see in Season 9'. Ship is too controversial (understatement!) and, as for Season 9... as many have pointed out, much is already done and 'in the can'... and for the rest, we don't know what *AT* wants for Season 9 (nor what she has control over), and I didn't want this Collection to be anything but upbeat for her. I'm hoping that this collection of comments and highlights will be a book that will reside on a bookcase, or with some photoalbums... and that AT will enjoy pulling it out years from now and browsing through the memories and the wonderful comments and praise from her fans.
          I think this positive focus approach is the way to go.

And, just in case my preceding passages confused anyone ( ), Uber's question is: Should we send an abbreviated or different version of the Collection, rather than sending the entire Collection as is?

Post-post-script : If I am going to get the Collection printed and bound and off to AT, I need to get it to the printer/binder in the next week or so, as I will be out of town in the latter part of July and beginning of August... Or someone else on the thread could take over the printing, binding, mailing?
          I finally had a chance to look at the older version.( I had to look at it at work as my home computer couldn't handle the file.) It's quite impressive! I can see where Uber may be coming from, though, in that it is a huge file. I liked all the aspects of it (for example I think the Cartercopter *must* stay in). But perhaps an edited version is the way to go. Leave all the categories in, but put in fewer examples? How we decide what to include and what not to would be difficult, of course. Perhaps an arbitrary number of entries for each section? Or each of us could look at our own entries and decide which 2 or 3 (?) we think are best? Just spitballing ideas here...

Comment

And.... don't forget to vote today for AT

http://www.syfyportal.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Lys
              Hi everybody !

I confess that I've been lurking around this thread for a while now. I'm so amazed by the beautiful posts you've made here. You're all wonderful !

Sam is also a favourite of mine. I'd really like to express how I feel about her but I'm at loss with words, thanks to my poor English.

All I can say is that she's a great and strong character and that I absolutely love Sam when she's in charge. She rocks.
              Bienvenue et merci, Lys! You have done tres bien with your English and we are pleased to have you ici. Continuez a ecrivir. Comment ca? It's been many, many years.

Comment

Originally posted by Lys
                Add me to proud owners of the DVDs and only the DVDs.
                Moi aussi! Have never been to any cons either but am looking forward to GABIT III if it ever gets rescheduled in London. Are you planning to attend the London GABIT, Lys?

Comment

Okay I was bored today and thought I would try making my first collage - no rhyme or reason as to the pictures I choose just playing

My View From The Peanut Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by tara3583
                    Hello fellow Samandans, this is very OT but i've just had the most fantastic news and i wanted to share it with you.
                    I'm going to be a Grandmother, my Son and his wife are expecting their fisrt baby, she is due
                    in January so they have a ways to go yet.
                    They are over the moon and can't wait bless them!
                    It really is a strange feeling knowing that there will be a continueing of our Son through his children, anyway thought i'd share our smashing news!
                    wow, that's such happy news Tara. *smiles* congratulations and hugs.

...deepspace is a PROUD MEMBER of the Sam's A Great Character Thread...

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

Originally posted by tsaxlady
                      Okay I was bored today and thought I would try making my first collage - no rhyme or reason as to the pictures I choose just playing

I know you're not one to blow your own horn, ts ... so let me do it for you ...

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y11...irlTrumpet.jpg

Fine job on the collage!

Comment

Originally posted by Lys
                        You know what ? You made me realize that almost everybody here sees me as Master Bra'tac !!
                        I'm afraid I'm going to disappoint you. I'm not an old Jaffa warrior !
                        My hair is short. Think Sam's hair in season 5 or 6. And I'm dark blonde.
                        Welcome Lys! A poster from France . I hope you stick around. And don't worry about your English. We who speak English as our first language often write it worse than those who don't . I'm sure you'll fit in just fine. Have some blue jello.

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
                          Moi aussi! Have never been to any cons either but am looking forward to GABIT III if it ever gets rescheduled in London. Are you planning to attend the London GABIT, Lys?
                          I've never been to any cons and I don't think I'd be able one day.
                          I blame my crazy job that makes me work on week-ends.
                          And when I see tsaxlady pictures or others, I feel like I'm missing all the fun.
                          Kingdom of Samanda : Hic Comitas Regit

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                            Btw, am I the only fan here that doesn't own an autographed picture?? Actually the only items I own involving Stargate are my dvd's. I suddenly feel so unworthy to call myself a fan.
                            I don't have any autographed pictures either, so you're not alone Kat . Deepspace has never been to any cons, so therefore...
                            And BIG congrats on 900 !!!

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

Originally posted by deepspace
                              Welcome Lys! A poster from France . I hope you stick around. And don't worry about your English. We who speak English as our first language often write it worse than those who don't . I'm sure you'll fit in just fine. Have some blue jello.
                              Thanks for your kind words Deepsace ! And while you're speaking of the blue jello, there's this question I've been asking myself for an eternity. Well, I confess since I first saw Sam eating blue jello. What's the flavour ?
                              Kingdom of Samanda : Hic Comitas Regit

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                                Heels?? LOL, I've seen some of the shoes that Teryl wore and they were more like stilts. God Bless that woman. Not only were the guys on the tall side, even Amanda is tall for a woman. I have to admit, being the same height as Amanda I have never had to deal with the height issue before. I've always had the advantage of being able to see over most people's heads. My husband on the other hand is only 5'3" and I'm often amused by the things he does to compensate for the height differences. He often accuses me of hiding all the good stuff on the top shelves in our pantry.

He's the IT manager for a large firm here in the states and from what his co-workers have told me he has no issues with standing up on desks so he can look people in the eye when he's telling them off and like Fraiser, he's also obtained the nicknamed of 'Napolean'.

From what I have been told by our doctor, it's very unlikely that my daughter will be much taller than 5ft. If she grows up to be half as witty, intelligent and outgoing as Teryl, she'll be fine. How lucky could we have been to have two wonderful female role models on the same show?? Amanda and Teryl are both wonderful. Here's crossing my fingers that we see them both acting together for at least one episode this season.

Kat
                                Good, so you're tall too .
                                I have to say, I've never much liked my height, but it's something I've learned to put up with. I haven't had much choice, being 6ft and all. And you have red hair, I thought you might, going from the picture of Kaleesta, hers was quite reddish, yes?.
                                So many people on here with blonde!

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

Working...
                                X