Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tara3583
    Hello fellow Samandans, this is very OT but i've just had the most fantastic news and i wanted to share it with you.
    I'm going to be a Grandmother, my Son and his wife are expecting their fisrt baby, she is due in January so they have a ways to go yet.
    They are over the moon and can't wait bless them!
    It really is a strange feeling knowing that there will be a continueing of our Son through his children, anyway thought i'd share our smashing news!
    Originally posted by ForeverSg1
    Woo! Just realized this is my 900th post!! Oh yeah! *hand in the air* Oh yeah!!
    Isn't it a nuisance when your boss insists on standing next to you and talking about work when you've got more important stuff to attend to...

Anyway, he's gone now, so

CONGRATULATIONS tara on your news,

and

CONGRATULATIONS Kat on post 900.

What do you reckon - Royal Blue Jello or cake all round? How about both?

1s4S

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist
      Kat, RE your daughter's request to get her hair cut like Sam's... I liked Sam's shorter hair cuts (as in Season 6), but I also like her hair in this pic - it looks great.It's not as short as Sam's in Season 6, and no one should call her 'boy'! (Although I have been called 'boy' or 'sir' a few times when my hair has been really short... it just doesn't bother me... I find it kind of amusing and just give them a small smile like I know something they don't - amazingly most people catch on *real* quick if I smile at them like that! )
      If my hair is anything shorter than shoulder-length, I get called "sir." Doesn't matter what I'm wearing (dresses, earrings, very feminine necklaces...). I suppose if I was much thinner and wore make-up, it might not happen so often... But, in Europe I was called "sir" and "mister" with all kinds of interesting accents.

To be honest, even though I know I'm not very pretty (constantly being mistaken for man is a pretty good clue on that front), I think I have it easier than many petite women because it's fairly easy for me to gain respect with the guys. Be it with my medieval fighting, or firefighting, or university politics, I usually don't have to battle any "oh, you're just a girl" attitudes to get them to take me seriously. I think that's an advantage, the good that comes with the bad.

Sam, being tall, shares the same advantage. Dr. Fraiser, OTOH, almost always wore heels and made up for her lack of height with attitude, earning her the moniker of "Napoleonic Power Monger." I wonder if she would have gotten that nickname if she'd been 5'10"...? Or if it would have been considered quite so funny...?

So, as you say, I find it kind of amusing when I get called "sir" all the time. And, once they do figure it out, I usually get great service!

(My, what a ramble for a Tuesday morning.)

Hugs,
      Strix

My LJ

Comment

Originally posted by deepspace
        The reason why I ask I guess, is because I keep seeing everyone as their avatars, like up until just then I saw Sky as a picture of Amanda sticking her head out of a black tent looking mischievous, tsax and NC both look like replicarter, Uber looks like replicarter but blue and so does Majorsam, astro looks like Sam with lightning coming out of her hands, well, you get the picture. So you can see how maybe I'm seeing you all as looking like Sam now .
        LOL! So... do I look like a pyramid? Yeah, you know, I carry a little extra weight on my hips, but not THAT much!

My LJ

Comment

Hello fellow Samandans, this is very OT but i've just had the most fantastic news and i wanted to share it with you.
          I'm going to be a Grandmother, my Son and his wife are expecting their fisrt baby, she is due
          in January so they have a ways to go yet.
          It really is a strange feeling knowing that there will be a continueing of our Son through his children, anyway thought i'd share our smashing news!
          That is wonderful news, Tara! Congratulations!

Hugs,
          Strix

My LJ

Comment

Originally posted by tsaxlady
            Evening or I guess I should say good morning!

I was playing around with a new feature of my MSN account while Gateworld forum was down last night and upload scans of a bunch of Autographed Stargate pictures. Take a look at this site and let me know what you think - should I keep using it? It is a free feature of my MSN account - limited on what I can do - but it may be a good way to post some updates when I'm out of town.

tsaxlady space on MSN

Great pics tsaxlady! BTW, where you at the Vancouver Con? You look VERY familiar.

And welcome to Lys! I'm glad somone can identify pics better than I can.

And congrats ForeverSG1, on 900 great posts!

Sorry I haven't been around much, I received some troubling news yesterday, and I'm not sure how I feel right now. Also, my health hasn't been great. I'll probably be hanging around today, on and off. I need to see positive things right now.

Edit: Ack! I missed Tara.....congrats on your soon to be granmom status! Hope Mom and the "little one" continue to do well. I'm sure you are jumping out of your skin, with joy!
            Last edited by Atteria; 14 June 2005, 07:27 AM.

Comment

Btw, am I the only fan here that doesn't own an autographed picture?? Actually the only items I own involving Stargate are my dvd's. I suddenly feel so unworthy to call myself a fan.
              No... I don't have anything except the DVDs either. Well, and probably about a gig's worth of Sam pictures, SG-1 wallpapers, and vids on my (currently dead) computer.

Hugs,
              Strix

My LJ

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia
                If my hair is anything shorter than shoulder-length, I get called "sir." Doesn't matter what I'm wearing (dresses, earrings, very feminine necklaces...). I suppose if I was much thinner and wore make-up, it might not happen so often... But, in Europe I was called "sir" and "mister" with all kinds of interesting accents.

To be honest, even though I know I'm not very pretty (constantly being mistaken for man is a pretty good clue on that front), I think I have it easier than many petite women because it's fairly easy for me to gain respect with the guys. Be it with my medieval fighting, or firefighting, or university politics, I usually don't have to battle any "oh, you're just a girl" attitudes to get them to take me seriously. I think that's an advantage, the good that comes with the bad.

Sam, being tall, shares the same advantage. Dr. Fraiser, OTOH, almost always wore heels and made up for her lack of height with attitude, earning her the moniker of "Napoleonic Power Monger." I wonder if she would have gotten that nickname if she'd been 5'10"...? Or if it would have been considered quite so funny...?

So, as you say, I find it kind of amusing when I get called "sir" all the time. And, once they do figure it out, I usually get great service!

(My, what a ramble for a Tuesday morning.)

Hugs,
                Strix

Heels?? LOL, I've seen some of the shoes that Teryl wore and they were more like stilts. God Bless that woman. Not only were the guys on the tall side, even Amanda is tall for a woman. I have to admit, being the same height as Amanda I have never had to deal with the height issue before. I've always had the advantage of being able to see over most people's heads. My husband on the other hand is only 5'3" and I'm often amused by the things he does to compensate for the height differences. He often accuses me of hiding all the good stuff on the top shelves in our pantry.

He's the IT manager for a large firm here in the states and from what his co-workers have told me he has no issues with standing up on desks so he can look people in the eye when he's telling them off and like Fraiser, he's also obtained the nicknamed of 'Napolean'.

From what I have been told by our doctor, it's very unlikely that my daughter will be much taller than 5ft. If she grows up to be half as witty, intelligent and outgoing as Teryl, she'll be fine. How lucky could we have been to have two wonderful female role models on the same show?? Amanda and Teryl are both wonderful. Here's crossing my fingers that we see them both acting together for at least one episode this season.

Kat
                Last edited by ForeverSg1; 14 June 2005, 08:13 AM.

Comment

The reason why I ask I guess, is because I keep seeing everyone as their avatars, like up until just then I saw Sky as a picture of Amanda sticking her head out of a black tent looking mischievous, tsax and NC both look like replicarter, Uber looks like replicarter but blue and so does Majorsam, astro looks like Sam with lightning coming out of her hands, well, you get the picture. So you can see how maybe I'm seeing you all as looking like Sam now .
                  Ha! I should only look as good as my avatar. I'm another darkish blonde (no dye, I'm proud to say) with I guess you could say, medium short hair--about to the collar.
                  You are obviously more corporeal than *your* avatar.

Comment

Heels?? LOL, I've seen some of the shoes that Teryl wore and they were more like stilts. God Bless that woman. Not only were the guys on the tall side, even Amanda is tall for a woman. I have to admit, being the same height as Amanda I have never had to deal with the height issue before. I've always had the advantage of being able to see over most people's heads. My husband on the other hand is only 5'3" and I'm often amused by the things he does to compensate for the height differences. He often accuses me of hiding all the good stuff on the top shelves in our pantry.

He's the IT manager for a large firm here in the states and from what his co-workers have told me he has no issues with standing up on desks so he can look people in the eye when he's telling them off and like Fraiser, he's also obtained the nicknamed of 'Napolean'.

From what I have been told by our doctor, it's very unlikely that my daughter will be much taller than 5ft. If she grows up to be half as witty, intelligent and outgoing as Teryl, she'll be fine. How lucky could we have been to have two wonderful female role models on the same show?? Amanda and Teryl are both wonderful. Here's crossing my fingers that we see them both acting together for at least one episode this season.

Kat
                    Wow! You are tall! I'm your hubby's size, just 5"3". My mom is only 4'10' (and that's if she stretched) and by dad was 5'10". Whenever they had pictures taken, he had to sit down, or the size decrepency drove the photographers (and me) nuts!

Amanda is the perfect height for a woman, as clothes always seem to look better on tall women, and as you said, it beats standing on a desk to get into someone's face. I was very surprised to see that Teryl was my height, with her wearing her "stilts" and me in small heels. You're right about her shoes, I'd definitely fall off them! And yes, they are both wonderful and were wonderful together on screen. I miss Doc Fraiser.....

Oh, and if your daughter is "only" 5 ft. tall......no problem. I'm sure she will more than make up in wit and charm, her lack of inches. But you never can tell, genetics is sometimes a real crap shoot. She may surprise you and the doc!

Comment

Originally posted by 1speed4Sam
                      CONGRATULATIONS tara on your news,

and

CONGRATULATIONS Kat on post 900.

1s4S

Comment

Number 2 buzz-cut here. There again, as my reproductive organs are on the outside, I don't suppose this really counts.

I'll get me coat...

1s4S
                        Was thoroughly enjoying the 'hair discussions'... then almost fell out of my chair laughing at 1speed's reply!
                        Originally posted by tsaxlady
                        Evening or I guess I should say good morning!

I was playing around with a new feature of my MSN account while Gateworld forum was down last night and upload scans of a bunch of Autographed Stargate pictures. Take a look at this site and let me know what you think - should I keep using it? It is a free feature of my MSN account - limited on what I can do - but it may be a good way to post some updates when I'm out of town.

tsaxlady space on MSN
                        Great pic collection, tsaxlady! Fun to browse through. A few of the pics, however, had missing pixels... is that an artifact of the MSN uploading/display process, or is from when you originally scanned the pics?
                        Originally posted by Lys
                        Hi everybody !

I confess that I've been lurking around this thread for a while now. I'm so amazed by the beautiful posts you've made here. You're all wonderful !

Sam is also a favourite of mine. I'd really like to express how I feel about her but I'm at loss with words, thanks to my poor English.
                        All I can say is that she's a great and strong character and that I absolutely love Sam when she's in charge. She rocks.

By the way, nice pics tsaxlady !
                        Welcome aboard, Lys! Post freely and often

If you haven't already seen it, there is an index post on the top of Thread page 442
                        I'm going to be a Grandmother, my Son and his wife are expecting their fisrt baby, she is due
                        in January so they have a ways to go yet.
                        Congratulations Grandma Tara
                        Originally posted by AustrALIEN
                        Ok......if this is a thread dedicated to Sam then I hope there will be at least one person that can answer my question..............It's not exactly about Sam but the Fabulous Actor who portrays her.........Amanda Tapping of course.............

OK.....I've just finished watching Season 7 on DVD and when I watched the Special Features..........I was shocked..........no that's the wrong word.........supprised..........no that's not what I was thinking...........Well I don't know what I was thinking.............confused..............was and is more accurate.............

I can't figure out how she........Amanda Tapping..........grew her hair that lenght.......in what I guess was the break between season 7 and 8...........

Can anyone fill me in with what actually was going on...........or atleast point me in the dirrection of the info............

Thanks..........
                        Skydiver has given us that snippet of information - it was hair extensions .
                        And - love your signature quote, AustAlien!
                        Welcome aboard the SaGC (Sam's a Great Character) Thread
                        Edit: Woo! Just realized this is my 900th post!! Oh yeah! *hand in the air* Oh yeah!!
                        Congratulations on 900, Kat! And thanks for posting some of them here in this thread for us all!
                        Isn't it a nuisance when your boss insists on standing next to you and talking about work when you've got more important stuff to attend to...

Anyway, he's gone now, so
                        1speed, you never fail to crack me up!
                        Originally posted by majorsal
                        let's play a game!

sam carter, from A to Z.

a - absolute devotion to her loved ones and teammates.

b - beautiful.

c - colonel (by deepspace)

Courageous
                        Considerate
                        Crafty
                        Captivating
                        Clever
                        Cool (by Uber)

D- Dedicated

E - Enthusiastic
                        Originally posted by majorsal
                        where did we leave off on the sam carter A to Z thinger?

i 'think' i remember ending at 'c', for 'colonel'.

if so...

e - effervescent, sam's personality.

next....

sally
                        Sigh, I tried to think of a way to add Sam to the banner... Really I did!!

f - friendly
                        g- gorgeous
                        h- honorable
                        i - ingenious
                        j - jackaholic (not a word you say? hmmm)

Oh and as for my hair... I have lots and lots of hair. At the moment it's only down to my shoulder blades as I've recently had about six inches cut off. Thick, some say curly (I say wavy) and at the moment red is my preferred color of choice.

Kat
                        actually Sal, Uber came up with better suggestions for C than I did

hmmmm, F

fantastic
                        fabulous
                        fiery
                        forever
                        funny (AT said on the lowdown that she doesn't think Sam's funny)

no, can't think of anything good enough.

also, for B, can we add brilliant? As in brilliant scientist, brilliant soldier, brilliant, well, everything?
                        Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
                        Hey! What about D? Or is that only available for use in the American dictionary???

D:

decorated
                        diligent
                        duplicitous (get it??? Sam/Replicarter???? Man I slay me.)
                        daring
                        distinguished
                        dangerous (if you're a Goa'uld. Or a potential suitor.)
                        SUMMARY LIST

a - absolute devotion to her loved ones and teammates.

b - beautiful
                        brilliant

c - colonel
                        Courageous
                        Considerate
                        Crafty
                        Captivating
                        Clever
                        Cool

D- Dedicated

E - Enthusiastic
                        e - effervescent, sam's personality.

fantastic
                        fabulous
                        fiery
                        forever
                        funny

f - friendly
                        g- gorgeous
                        h- honorable
                        i - ingenious
                        j - jackaholic
                        And Astrog adds: E - Endearing

Comment

Hi everyone !

I've been reading you for quite a few days, and I thought maybe I could join this wonderful "we love samanda" community Our dear Captain/Major/Colonel is definitly my favourite character... I even like the episode Emancipation because it's sam-centric

And yes, I'm also a J/S shipper, they just belong to each other, and I hope TPTB can see that

Comment

Originally posted by Caro
                            Hi everyone !

I've been reading you for quite a few days, and I thought maybe I could join this wonderful "we love samanda" community Our dear Captain/Major/Colonel is definitly my favourite character... I even like the episode Emancipation because it's sam-centric

And yes, I'm also a J/S shipper, they just belong to each other, and I hope TPTB can see that
                            May I be the first to welcome you into the Royal Court of Samanda! Please feel free to post at will, and as frequently as you like. All "Sam" pics are appreciated.

The Royal Baker
                            Atteria

Comment

As Royal Baker, I can supply the cake.....who does the jello? Moi aussi???

To Tara, from the entire population of Samanda!

Comment

Sam Fic Rec:
                                'Gone Too Long'(an intense Sam-team-fic; implied Sam-whump - not graphic; intense mental whumping)

Originally posted by Caro
                                Hi everyone !

Originally posted by Atteria
                                May I be the first to welcome you into the Royal Court of Samanda! Please feel free to post at will, and as frequently as you like. All "Sam" pics are appreciated.

As Royal Baker, I can supply the cake.....who does the jello? Moi aussi???
                                Welcome aboard, Caro!

SaGC Index Post
                                Last edited by astrogeologist; 14 June 2005, 09:14 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X