No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not really happy with this translation because it's first draft and my first draft is nearly always full of blips and things that don't sound idiomatic and would never, ever come out of Amanda's mouth.

BUT, it does tell you what happened in the interview, so here you go:

Spoiler:
    Amanda Tapping Opens The Stargate

You had the questions, now – to celebrate the DVD releast of “Stargate – The Ark of Truth”, out on the 23rd April – Amanda Tapping gives you the answers.

AlloCiné: What are your favourite episodes of Stargate SG-1?

Amanda: I would say Heroes [season 7]. I think that particular two-parter stands out in terms of the writing and the way the story had a little something for everyone, but also in its design and execution. Personally, I love episodes like Grace as well, where I got to indulge in a few more emotional moments, getting more of an insight into my character’s history. But yeah, we’ve made more than 200 episodes (laughs)! Honestly, I think Heroes was one of our best achievements. It had everything.

What are your best memories of SG-1 ?

(laughs) When I look back, we spent all our time laughing. And that, throughout the ten years that we were making the show, that’s quite something. The way that we all got on, the team dynamic, we were always goofing off. After the first season, I thought that laughing every day just wasn’t possible. But when I look back, on the ten years filming the series and now the films, we just laughed the whole time. Every day. It’s a remarkable atmosphere.

Ben Browder recently told us about the amazing experiences during filming…

That was quite simply incredible. For Ben and for me as well. There’s one trip in particular, where we went to the Arctic (to film the straight to DVD film Continuum)… It’s the sort of thing that you just can’t ever imagine doing. Flying in helicopters to shoot these crazy scenes and being in the arctic! Thanks to Stargate, we’ve also had the opportunity to participate at a U.S.O. event (United Service Organisations – a non governmental organisation that provides recreational services to the American military) in the middle east, just after Septermber 11th. It’s incredible what we’ve been able to do, thanks to this show.

What can you tell us about your experiences on “The Ark of Truth”.

It was fun. What was interesting was that we had finished season 10 and the series had been cancelled, so we were all a bit… you know… the last day we were all really emotional. And then suddenly were given this opportunity to make films, and that was just amazing. We had more time, a bigger budget, it was filmed on 35mm, everything just seemed bigger. The scenes and the way in which Rob (Robert C. Cooper) filmed it, it just seemed bigger. It all happened so quickly, it was mind blowing ! It was like the whole team was reunited, it was perfect.

“The Ark of Truth” sold really well in the states. Do you think that the producers will try again to get a new season or more films? And, if so, will you be on board?

If we do more Stargate films, then sure. I think that we’d all do it. We’ve already discussed it. After doing The Ark of Truth, we went on to do Continuum, which is a completely different story. And I think it paves the way for more Stargate films. These are great stand alone stories. Yes, I’ll do it, obviously. It’s become my family. I’ve worked with these people for so long that I often think of Stargate as my home.

Do you all still see each other?

Yeah. I just saw Chris (Christopher Judge, who plays Teal’c) a few weeks ago. I’m filming a new series at the moment (Sanctuary, for Sci-Fi), so I’m really busy, but we still get to see each other.

Was it difficult to say goodbye to the Sam Carter character after having played her for ten years ?

It was surreal. As far as I’m concerned, I was lucky because I got another season with the character, on the sister-show Stargate Atlantis. So, although the character was completely rewritten in some ways, I didn’t have to say goodbye to Stargate. On the other hand, the last day of filming on SG1 was very moving for all of us. It was Rob (Robert C. Cooper) who filmed it and he decided that the final take would be the team walking through the gate. It was incredibly moving. Christopher Judge was crying so much that they had to stop filming. It was one of those really powerful moments… When we finished, what was cool for me, was that Michael (Michael Shanks, who plays Daniel Jackson), Chris and I ran off and left the rest of the team behind. It must have been something like two in the morning, and people had woken up and come in just to see the last take. Anyway, we escaped to the briefing room so we could look at the Gate. It was just like when we started the series in 1997, visiting the set, all three of us, and walking and us saying: “Oh my God, look at the series we’re in!” We took a moment, all three of us, and just stood there looking at the Gate and saying: “Wow, here we are! (laughs) 10 years, wow!” It was crazy. It was great.

10 years, that’s a long time. Did you ever want to quit the show ?

Honestly? No. There were a few times, both in my life and in my career, that I said to myself : “Oh my God, what am I doing?”. But, you know, I’ve got loads of friends who are actors and would give anything to be able to do what I do. And like I’ve said, if you’ve got a job – it doesn’t matter what you do for a living – where you have the opportunity to laugh every day, then you’d be an idiot to give it up. It’s a fantastic group of people, a really great team, there’s a true sense of family and in a way, it gives you a kick up the backside when you get those moments where you think: “I don’t want to do this any more”. It makes you say, “Wait a second. Don’t be stupid, this is an amazing series (laughs). And you have fun.”

Why don’t Carter and O’Neill get together at the end ?

And who says they don’t ? (laughs). I don’t know… It’s funny that you ask me that because only yesterday I came across an old, old memory, the one where our memories had been erased. O’Neill and Carter don’t know who they really are. And I watched the chemistry beween Rick (Richard Dean Anderson, who plays O’Neill) and me and said : “Wow, they’re going to get together any minute” ! But maybe there’ll be room for that in the films. There are some truly amazing moments between the two of them… I’ve watched a load of fan videos (made up of these moments) and I think that it would be fun. Anything to get rid of all that sexual tension. Just once, for the love of God !

You think it would do them good to get over it ?

Exactly. I think they could move on and say : “Ok, phew… that’s out of our system!” (laughs).

What do you think about the relationship between Sam Carter and Cameron Mitchell?

It’s just a deep, mutual respect. There was never any sexual tension between the two of them. And I think with would have been a huge mistake to go down that route. Ben (Ben Browder who plays Mitchell) and I have obviously discussed it, but it wouldn’t have made any sense for Carter and Mitchell to get together. Even though it would be extremely cute.

Is he as sexy in real life as he is on screen?

Honestly? More so. Whilst we were in the arctice – which was a surreal experience for the both of us – Ben and I were the only two actors there at the beginning. And when he looks at you with those clear blue eyes and his perfect smile, you just melt. I said to him: “That’s just wrong! What are you doing? Stop it!” And he responded, in such a suave voice, “Qhat? What is it I’m doing?” so I told him, “You’re looking at me! Stop!” Seriously… he’s far sexier in real life than he is on screen. If you can believe that…

Who’s the most intelligent: Carter or Rodney McKay from Atlantis?

Carter. And I’m not just saying that because I play her and not because I’m obviously more intelligent than David Hewlitt (who plays McKay) either (laughs). Carter’s not just a bookworm, but she understands people, unline McKay. She uses common sense and reads situations and knows how to deal with the people involved as well as what’s happening. McKay, on the other hand, just charges in with his own ideas and prejudices. So I think in terms of true intelligence, Carter wins.

Who’s the strongest: Teal’c or Ronon?

Oh, I have to lean towards Teal’c, because he’s my guy. He’s the strongest.

Can you tell us a bit about “Sanctuary”, your new series?

At the moment, we’re in pre-production. Sci Fi has ordered 13 episodes. It’s a series that is filmed entirely on green screen. My character is this doctor who is 157 years old, from Victorian England and who runs a sort of institution for these rare and unexpected creatures that exist across the world. And not only to protect them, but to study them because she believes that these creatures are the evolution of our species and the key to that evolution. She brings a psychiatrist aboard, played by Robin Dunne, who is fantastic. Her past is kind of crazy. As those people who watched it on the internet already know, she was Jack the Ripper’s fiancée and had a child with him (laughs)… Yeah, she’s got a fairly intense past. The whole feel of the series is something that’s not been done on television and I think that Sci-Fi is really enthusiastic about that. It’s entirely on green screen, so it’s got that sort of “Sin City” feel to it. It’s not entirely realistic, visually, so it’s got a sort of comic-book aspect. Asthetically, it’s astonishing. And the story is incredible. After doing the internet series, we’re really excited to be starting on the television format.

Do you hope to have as much success on the internet?

We hope so. We’ve put a lot of money into it. Our pilot was the most expensive series ever produced for the internet. We’re in the Guinness Book of Records for spending all that money (laughs). So, we hope that it will be a success. The internet is an interesting beast because you can’t protect what you do. Once it’s on the web, it’s everywhere. In a way, you’ve got to let your baby grow up eventually, we have to develop. But the web was a great forum for us, because sci-fi fans live on the net. There’s a social network of fans that isn’t specific to SF fans, but I think it’s probably strongest between them. As they follow the series, they come and discuss it on the web. You can see, just by visiting, how many fans spend a lot of time there. So it makes sense. But the TV is also a great format for us. There’s always a place for us on the web, but that’s the direction that we want to go in.

What is your favourite series?

I watch a lot of British shows. I’m a huge fan of Little Britain and of French and Saunders and everything to do with England. I’ve started to watch Jame and Jerusalem. And honestly, the shows I watch at home, I watch The Daily Show and The Colbert Report.

If you could invent a character for Stargate, what would they be like?

Ooh! That’s a tough question, that! If I could invent a character? I think that they’ve already invented them all! I mean… when you’ve done something like 200 episodes, haven’t we covered every idea on the planet? (laughs). I like the idea of an evil Carter, but we’ve done that as well. Our writers have covered practically every possibility. I’m sure I’m going to come up with a better response after we finish the interview. It’s always like that.

Or you’re just trying to keep the idea for your own series…

(laughs) Yeah, that’s it!

Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Originally posted by Frostfox View Post
      But Amanda can't answer that question. She's not Sam, she's an actress. The question needs to be directed to the writers. Her opinion is not going to have any bearing on what happens to the character. She can't tell the interviewer what is the current status of the relationship, she doesn't know.
      There might have been 'many' viewers a few years ago, we have never had any quantifiable evidence of how invested the bulk of the viewers were in it, but RDA left the program at the end of season 8. That story line is over, past. Both fans and the SG1 story has moved on.
      I ask again, why isn't there the same emphasis in the interviews with CJ and MS on their characters love life? Why is it so important to Amanda's character and not theirs? If the Sam/Jack fans aren't seeing Sam as one part of a dyad, why does the question com up again and again and again?

FF
      I understand and agree that the answer to the question would probably only come from the show's creators, but even if her opinion has no bearing on the outcome does not mean that (some) fans might want to hear her take on it or at least know how she feels about it however overdone the question may be. I respect that some folks just might not be interested in the answer either way, but not everyone feels that way. RDA's departure didn't suddenly make those who liked the storyline go "oh well that was fun let's find something else do." There's a very lively thread on this forum who would beg to differ on having moved on. The reason the question comes up again and again is because Sam/Jack shippers enjoy that element of their story. They want a clear cut answer not something shrouded in vagary. It doesn't mean we don't appreciate the other aspects of either Sam's or Jack's characters, we want the yay or the nay. Sometimes as a fan, our only connection to the happenings of the stargate universe is through the interviews the actors give and it excites us to hear their answers.

I've no idea why they don't hound da boyz with the same questions but I have read a few Michael interviews that asked about the Vala/Daniel dynamic. I know folks who've been to cons and asked about the possibility of them getting together. So I know it does happen, just maybe not on as grand a scale as this. Then again when it comes to Amanda interviews there is just so much choice. Every other week someone kindly posts something new.

sigpic

Comment

Thanks TJ, as long as it's being translated, I'm happy to wait as long as it takes.

FF
        I didn't mean to snap!

Basically, I was frantically translating, then someone said the S/J thread had translated the "meaty" parts, so I stopped. I went and checked the thread and realised that by "meaty" they meant "shippy". So got back to translating.

I'm not 100% happy with it, as I said. But it's better than google and gets the idea. I have to say thanks to Lys, because I got really stuck on "nous nous sommes éclipsés". The usual meaning of "éclipsé" is "overshadowed" but when it's reflexive, it means "we ran away". Bizarre.

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Jane View Post
          I'm not really happy with this translation because it's first draft and my first draft is nearly always full of blips and things that don't sound idiomatic and would never, ever come out of Amanda's mouth.

Snipped for space.
          Thank you so much for this, TJ.
          As a monoglot, I have nothing but respect for your translation skills.

Amanda always gives such good interviews. I'm so looking forward to Sanctuary; I couldn't really get into it online, but I'm really hopeful for it as a series and where it will take AT in the future. By the way, reports from down under say that Chris' Rage of Angels is slated to become a cinema release, it's good to see all of them getting some recognition post SG1.

FF
          sigpic

Comment

I didn't mean to snap!

Basically, I was frantically translating, then someone said the S/J thread had translated the "meaty" parts, so I stopped. I went and checked the thread and realised that by "meaty" they meant "shippy". So got back to translating.

I'm not 100% happy with it, as I said. But it's better than google and gets the idea. I have to say thanks to Lys, because I got really stuck on "nous nous sommes éclipsés". The usual meaning of "éclipsé" is "overshadowed" but when it's reflexive, it means "we ran away". Bizarre.
            I think you're done a very good job indeed- as its more than readable. Just needs a bit of smoothing over. And compared to some of my Greek translations...I know I'm a beginner, but still...

And as I needed to get my thoughts into order (and some persuading to post ), here are my few thoughts on the question FF posed about why female actors tend to get these questions more. I'm still afraid I got a smidge OT and ranty:

Spoiler:
            ...Because I think its an accepted stereotype (yep, here I go again ). Subconcious social thing about women no.15,304- the female actor will not mind discussing it, as they are more open and less awkward about such things. They will be more interested and invested in the romance angle. She will feel more of an affinity with it. They prove their own femininity by doing so. And ultimately, they will hopefully provide a nicely worded, open but also teasing answer to please the reader (or viewer). I think my view on this is predictable.
            sigpic

Courtesy of smurf, as always

Comment

Thank you so much for this, TJ.
              As a monoglot, I have nothing but respect for your translation skills.

Amanda always gives such good interviews. I'm so looking forward to Sanctuary; I couldn't really get into it online, but I'm really hopeful for it as a series and where it will take AT in the future. By the way, reports from down under say that Chris' Rage of Angels is slated to become a cinema release, it's good to see all of them getting some recognition post SG1.

FF
              You're welcome.

And RE Chris: That's good to know. And yes, after all this time, they deserve a little recognition.

I found the interview interesting in terms of Sanctuary. I'm not sure how I feel about the "comic book" effect that she mentions. Personally, I liked the fact that the sets seemed so real (most of the time). It's what set it aside from other green-screen ventures, IMO. But we'll see.

Comment

Originally posted by resurgamlaura View Post
                I think you're done a very good job indeed- as its more than readable. Just needs a bit of smoothing over. And compared to some of my Greek translations...I know I'm a beginner, but still...

And as I needed to get my thoughts into order (and some persuading to post ), here are my few thoughts on the question FF posed about why female actors tend to get these questions more. I'm still afraid I got a smidge OT and ranty:

Spoiler:
                ...Because I think its an accepted stereotype (yep, here I go again ). Subconcious social thing about women no.15,304- the female actor will not mind discussing it, as they are more open and less awkward about such things. They will be more interested and invested in the romance angle. She will feel more of an affinity with it. They prove their own femininity by doing so. And ultimately, they will hopefully provide a nicely worded, open but also teasing answer to please the reader (or viewer). I think my view on this is predictable.
                Yepp, it needs a little polishing here and there, to make it sound more like Amanda talking, rather than a translator. I'm a bit rusty, in all honesty. It's a good two years since I did any "proper" French-English translation. I've done one or two bits of English-French, but it's getting rusty.

Translation is a skill that comes with time. You have to learn not to translate word for word, but to get the idea of what they are *saying*. Don't be absolutely bound by the text. For example, I was recently translating something that said "we do not apologise for our simple rules". Great line in English, a kind of contrast to the usual "we apologise for the inconveniance". But seeing as the French don't do the apology bit, it made no sense culturally to translate the NOT apologising bit.

It's great fun and keeps the brain in shape. It's like mathmatical puzzles on a giant scale. It's great fun. Even more fun if it's a language you DON'T know particularly well!

Okay, I'm geeking out now, I'll shut up!

Comment

Originally posted by PengYn View Post
                  I understand and agree that the answer to the question would probably only come from the show's creators, but even if her opinion has no bearing on the outcome does not mean that (some) fans might want to hear her take on it or at least know how she feels about it however overdone the question may be. I respect that some folks just might not be interested in the answer either way, but not everyone feels that way. RDA's departure didn't suddenly make those who liked the storyline go "oh well that was fun let's find something else do." There's a very lively thread on this forum who would beg to differ on having moved on. The reason the question comes up again and again is because Sam/Jack shippers enjoy that element of their story. They want a clear cut answer not something shrouded in vagary. It doesn't mean we don't appreciate the other aspects of either Sam's or Jack's characters, we want the yay or the nay. Sometimes as a fan, our only connection to the happenings of the stargate universe is through the interviews the actors give and it excites us to hear their answers.

I've no idea why they don't hound da boyz with the same questions but I have read a few Michael interviews that asked about the Vala/Daniel dynamic. I know folks who've been to cons and asked about the possibility of them getting together. So I know it does happen, just maybe not on as grand a scale as this. Then again when it comes to Amanda interviews there is just so much choice. Every other week someone kindly posts something new.

Really good points PengYn, it's one particular aspect of both the show and the characters specifically, whether you agree or even acknowlege it, and although it is there, there is more to both. The thing is that there hasn't been a solid resolution to the arc, and until there is there is still going to be interest in it.

Re the CJ or MS interviews, I read an interview a few years ago with CJ and there were a couple of questions about Teal'c's lovelife. I think that they do ask AT more but then she does many more interviews too.
                  sigpicMy Fanfic

Comment

Spoiler:
                    Sorry.
                    My view is also predictable.

But this has crystalised something I hadn't even realised; that it was more than just my knee jerk negative reaction to S/J, it's a more general distaste for the idea that a female actor has more investment in the romantic encounters of her character than her male counterpart. Which is just bollox of the highest order but so many interviews seems to fall into the same dull pattern reinforcing such stereotypes.

FF
                    sigpic

Comment

Yepp, it needs a little polishing here and there, to make it sound more like Amanda talking, rather than a translator. I'm a bit rusty, in all honesty. It's a good two years since I did any "proper" French-English translation. I've done one or two bits of English-French, but it's getting rusty.

Translation is a skill that comes with time. You have to learn not to translate word for word, but to get the idea of what they are *saying*. Don't be absolutely bound by the text. For example, I was recently translating something that said "we do not apologise for our simple rules". Great line in English, a kind of contrast to the usual "we apologise for the inconveniance". But seeing as the French don't do the apology bit, it made no sense culturally to translate the NOT apologising bit.

It's great fun and keeps the brain in shape. It's like mathmatical puzzles on a giant scale. It's great fun. Even more fun if it's a language you DON'T know particularly well!

Okay, I'm geeking out now, I'll shut up!
                      Oh don't, I miss French so badly sometimes its untrue. Such a geek Smoothing over a translation is very satisfying. And yep, its a bit like a puzzle. . Only with Greek there's even more rote learning than with all the other languages I've dabbled in, because they have little vocab but they make up for it with some astonishing grammar. Two forms of the perfect tense, anyone? Due to the prevalence of so many irregular verbs in the language? And on a simple level, I still can't get used to 'p' actually being 'r'...
                      sigpic

Courtesy of smurf, as always

Comment

Chemistry is in the eye of the beholder, to me and to a lot of SG1 fans, that chemistry was forced and tedious.
                        And feelings most certainly can be controlled, it's a sign of being a responsible adult, controlling your feelings. Have you never been attracted to someone who was unobtainable, a married person, someone it would be wrong to get into a relationship with? You don't act on those feelings or you make a move to alter the situation to make it acceptable. That's what adults have to do, it's a sign of maturity, rather than a childish crush.
                        They were never going to address the issue while the show was current, had no intention of. TPTB strung along the people who liked the relationship and annoyed the rest of us viewers by picking at it like a scab over a wound, never letting the matter rest.

FF
                        i'm taking a moment to catch up on this thread before returning to reading the looooooong story i've been reading for days. http://sbzfiction.angelfire.com/ (wonderful fic!)

anyhoo, you're right, chemistry is in the eye of the beholder. there's a LOT of fans that like the sam/jack pairing, or it wouldn't have been continued for the years the show's been on the air (even continuing while jack's no longer a regular on the show). while sam and jack shared shippy feelings for one another, they didn't act on them. you can't nor shouldn't be fined for having feelings for someone.

i will admit that i find your flavor on this subject rather bitter to read. it makes me feel defensive and we've all been through this before. can we take this a little softer please?

sally
                        sally

sigpic

Comment

Oh don't, I miss French so badly sometimes its untrue. Such a geek Smoothing over a translation is very satisfying. And yep, its a bit like a puzzle. . Only with Greek there's even more rote learning than with all the other languages I've dabbled in, because they have little vocab but they make up for it with some astonishing grammar. Two forms of the perfect tense, anyone? Due to the prevalence of so many irregular verbs in the language? And on a simple level, I still can't get used to 'p' actually being 'r'...
                          Oh, the P/R thing used to confuse me immensely when I learnt Greek! I wish I still did it, I've forgotten most of it now... so sad. I loved the grammar and the intricacies of the language. I love how each language has its own quirks. Some people tell me "language x is easier than language y" but it's not true! Every language has its difficult aspects, it's just that they're completely different. Mandarin Chinese and suprasegmental tonal phonemes, anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by sofie View Post
                            Happy birthday to all I've missed!!!! Hope you had a fantastic day

I'm off to France for 5 days *woohoo*, my mom promised me to buy the Ark of truth, which should be released here any day now. Something to look forward to when I get back
                            *hugs thread*
                            *hugs back* yeah, I had a great day!!

France? Lucky!! have fun! AoT was sweet, you'll have some good stuff to lok forwards to, but Continuum is gonna be off the foshizzle I tell ya...

Spoiler:
                            Amanda Tapping Opens The Stargate

You had the questions, now – to celebrate the DVD releast of “Stargate – The Ark of Truth”, out on the 23rd April – Amanda Tapping gives you the answers.

AlloCiné: What are your favourite episodes of Stargate SG-1?

Amanda: I would say Heroes [season 7]. I think that particular two-parter stands out in terms of the writing and the way the story had a little something for everyone, but also in its design and execution. Personally, I love episodes like Grace as well, where I got to indulge in a few more emotional moments, getting more of an insight into my character’s history. But yeah, we’ve made more than 200 episodes (laughs)! Honestly, I think Heroes was one of our best achievements. It had everything.

What are your best memories of SG-1 ?

(laughs) When I look back, we spent all our time laughing. And that, throughout the ten years that we were making the show, that’s quite something. The way that we all got on, the team dynamic, we were always goofing off. After the first season, I thought that laughing every day just wasn’t possible. But when I look back, on the ten years filming the series and now the films, we just laughed the whole time. Every day. It’s a remarkable atmosphere.

Ben Browder recently told us about the amazing experiences during filming…

That was quite simply incredible. For Ben and for me as well. There’s one trip in particular, where we went to the Arctic (to film the straight to DVD film Continuum)… It’s the sort of thing that you just can’t ever imagine doing. Flying in helicopters to shoot these crazy scenes and being in the arctic! Thanks to Stargate, we’ve also had the opportunity to participate at a U.S.O. event (United Service Organisations – a non governmental organisation that provides recreational services to the American military) in the middle east, just after Septermber 11th. It’s incredible what we’ve been able to do, thanks to this show.

What can you tell us about your experiences on “The Ark of Truth”.

It was fun. What was interesting was that we had finished season 10 and the series had been cancelled, so we were all a bit… you know… the last day we were all really emotional. And then suddenly were given this opportunity to make films, and that was just amazing. We had more time, a bigger budget, it was filmed on 35mm, everything just seemed bigger. The scenes and the way in which Rob (Robert C. Cooper) filmed it, it just seemed bigger. It all happened so quickly, it was mind blowing ! It was like the whole team was reunited, it was perfect.

“The Ark of Truth” sold really well in the states. Do you think that the producers will try again to get a new season or more films? And, if so, will you be on board?

If we do more Stargate films, then sure. I think that we’d all do it. We’ve already discussed it. After doing The Ark of Truth, we went on to do Continuum, which is a completely different story. And I think it paves the way for more Stargate films. These are great stand alone stories. Yes, I’ll do it, obviously. It’s become my family. I’ve worked with these people for so long that I often think of Stargate as my home.

Do you all still see each other?

Yeah. I just saw Chris (Christopher Judge, who plays Teal’c) a few weeks ago. I’m filming a new series at the moment (Sanctuary, for Sci-Fi), so I’m really busy, but we still get to see each other.

Was it difficult to say goodbye to the Sam Carter character after having played her for ten years ?

It was surreal. As far as I’m concerned, I was lucky because I got another season with the character, on the sister-show Stargate Atlantis. So, although the character was completely rewritten in some ways, I didn’t have to say goodbye to Stargate. On the other hand, the last day of filming on SG1 was very moving for all of us. It was Rob (Robert C. Cooper) who filmed it and he decided that the final take would be the team walking through the gate. It was incredibly moving. Christopher Judge was crying so much that they had to stop filming. It was one of those really powerful moments… When we finished, what was cool for me, was that Michael (Michael Shanks, who plays Daniel Jackson), Chris and I ran off and left the rest of the team behind. It must have been something like two in the morning, and people had woken up and come in just to see the last take. Anyway, we escaped to the briefing room so we could look at the Gate. It was just like when we started the series in 1997, visiting the set, all three of us, and walking and us saying: “Oh my God, look at the series we’re in!” We took a moment, all three of us, and just stood there looking at the Gate and saying: “Wow, here we are! (laughs) 10 years, wow!” It was crazy. It was great.

10 years, that’s a long time. Did you ever want to quit the show ?

Honestly? No. There were a few times, both in my life and in my career, that I said to myself : “Oh my God, what am I doing?”. But, you know, I’ve got loads of friends who are actors and would give anything to be able to do what I do. And like I’ve said, if you’ve got a job – it doesn’t matter what you do for a living – where you have the opportunity to laugh every day, then you’d be an idiot to give it up. It’s a fantastic group of people, a really great team, there’s a true sense of family and in a way, it gives you a kick up the backside when you get those moments where you think: “I don’t want to do this any more”. It makes you say, “Wait a second. Don’t be stupid, this is an amazing series (laughs). And you have fun.”

Why don’t Carter and O’Neill get together at the end ?

And who says they don’t ? (laughs). I don’t know… It’s funny that you ask me that because only yesterday I came across an old, old memory, the one where our memories had been erased. O’Neill and Carter don’t know who they really are. And I watched the chemistry beween Rick (Richard Dean Anderson, who plays O’Neill) and me and said : “Wow, they’re going to get together any minute” ! But maybe there’ll be room for that in the films. There are some truly amazing moments between the two of them… I’ve watched a load of fan videos (made up of these moments) and I think that it would be fun. Anything to get rid of all that sexual tension. Just once, for the love of God !

You think it would do them good to get over it ?

Exactly. I think they could move on and say : “Ok, phew… that’s out of our system!” (laughs).
                            [B]
                            /snip/
                            Thanks for translating it all for us!!!!
                            --Kate

Comment

People see what they want to see in a show. FF for example, is obviously a fan of the jack/daniel dynamic and - i think - prefers them as a couple. I soooo don't see that. Friends sure. But i don't see them as lovers and never will.

It doesn't mean that fans that see that dynamic and ask aobut it are wrong.

The sam and jack dynamic is just as popular as the jack and daniel one.

And i do recall many interviews with claudia and michael where the 'are they a couple' and 'how is the pairing' are topics for interviewers.
                              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I'm a teamer. But I always liked the Sam/Daniel friendship & once we got to see Sam interacting with Teal'c I really loved their friendship.
                                I can't remember an interview where CJ was asked about Teal'c's lovelife, but as I recall he was quite enthusiastic in commentaries about him having one .

Last edited by jckfan55; 20 April 2008, 02:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X