No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm curious as to what you all think of the "Mother of All Contests" that MGM is running. In case you haven't seen it, you guess the date/time of birth and gender of Amanda's baby, for a chance to win Stargate related items.

I assume they have Amanda's permission to run the contest, but I admit, my reaction is mixed. It seems a little exploitive, but I guess she's ok with it, and it is up to her.

Anyway, I respect your opinions, so I wondered what you think.

NC

Comment

Hello to everybody and a welcome to the new members who have come on board over the last couple of weeks!

By gum you have all been busy posting. It has taken the double cd of war of the worlds and the double cd this is the moody blues to get through all the posts.

As usual they are all thoughtful, evocative, interesting and eclectic.

Just comments here I would have made at the time, so I guess not really appropriate now!

ChopinGal - how did the SC snow woman shape up?
      Major Sam - your snippets re AT are snugly under my hat!
      Tok'raHostess/Astrogeologist/ChopinGal - I like your comments re Sam and submissiveness - Jan 24th
      Major Sam - Yup love your new sig
      Nearly Circular - loved your post Jan 25th re Sam/AT representing the military
      Astrogeologist - not seen Gemini, but like your thinking re RC - post Jan 26th
      Tok'raHostess - thoughtful reply to Major Sam's post re Pete
      ChopinGal - Jan 28th post - Samanam - Brilliant - laughed out loud - thanks!!
      Major Sal - loved your Jan 30th long post!
      Tok'ra Hostess - another great post on Jan 30th

Astrogeologist - many thanks for all the captures you have put up - especially those for Death Knell!!

Thanks to everyone for hiding spoilers - Can't wait to start watching season 8 - feel a little left out with all the posts relating to it!

The Pete issue was a tester - but everyone gave great posts!

It's great to hear all the Amanda snippets re her filming stunts - what a lady!!!

So how do you get tickets to Gabbit?

If some of us can't get tickets - how about a group meet anyway either before or after the event? I would be happy to travel down to "the big smoke" to meet up!!

Right must go and post my votes!!!

Comment

Originally posted by NearlyCircular
        I'm curious as to what you all think of the "Mother of All Contests" that MGM is running. In case you haven't seen it, you guess the date/time of birth and gender of Amanda's baby, for a chance to win Stargate related items.

I assume they have Amanda's permission to run the contest, but I admit, my reaction is mixed. It seems a little exploitive, but I guess she's ok with it, and it is up to her.

NC
        I think if Amanda has given her permission then
        i'm ok with it, as a mother myself my family, friends and even my husband played "guess the gender and birthdate of baby" Which insadently he got it right both times (no scans around when my babies were born in late 70's)!

But i guess it is really up to the person as i've seen very differant reactions to the comp.
        ......TARA......

Comment

For the second season poll I picked In The Line of Duty as my favourite episode. I chose this because I thought Amandas portrayl of Jolinar was amazing. The bit which clinched it for me was, like someone else here has mentioned, the part where Sam comes round in the infirmary and tells Jack that the symbiote gave its life so she could live. I just loved how Amanda delivered the line and the emotion in her eyes and on her face was heartbreaking. I loved the Infirmary scene at the end too with Cassie. Amanda didn't have to say anything but you could just feel the turmoil that Sam was going through as she dealt with everything that had happened to her. When actors dont need to say a word but so much is still conveyed to the audience that's an amazing display of talent and Amanda really shone in this episode.

Lucy

Comment

Hi All--I've been suffering withdrawl since the site's been down. Just saw "It's good to be king." Not too much of a Sam episode but it was great to see her in charge. And I liked that the team was all together again.
            RE: the Sam & Janet friendship. I just like that it's clear that they are friends and not in competition. In "legacy" I like how Sam trusts Janet even when she's affected by Machello's devices.

Comment

i'm sure it's meant in good fun, but i do think it was a little tasteless. Mother of all contests????

wow, can i have some crackers with that cheese???

i did enter though

as to my s2 eps, well ITLOD was an obvious one, and tok'ra, and then Show and Tell

what i loved about that one, while it may have been a jack episode, we still got some sam and dad, and, i'd like to think, the first time dad really gets to see sam at work. she just loves to blow things up.

if i could have voted for another one, it would have been serpents song. i like the confrontation sam has with apophis, and dealing with jolinar...and the support she got from the guys when she did it
              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

NC
                Hi NC and all other fellow Samandans! Let's hope the Forum stays up and running and we can all catch up ...

I did think this was a bit unusual, but, like Sky, found myself playing the guessing game and did register. It had to have AT's blessing, I'm sure, and that's why I thought of it in a lighthearted way. Amanda has been mostly reclusive and discreet about her pregnancy, but we know that she is very grateful for her fans ... this may have been a way to let them in a little bit towards the upcoming excitement of her big event. Most friends and families play this game all the time when someone is expecting; I think AT will be laughing about the response and delighted that people cared enough to enter the contest. BTW, only 2% of women give birth on their due dates, so I chose March 18 at 9:20am And I'm voting for a little girl! Sally and I feel the same about this: AT works in a world of men, and grew up with three brothers. Having a little "Samantha" would be a new experience for her!

Comment

Originally posted by Coley

Hello to everybody and a welcome to the new members who have come on board over the last couple of weeks! Ditto that!

By gum you have all been busy posting. It has taken the double cd of war of the worlds and the double cd this is the moody blues to get through all the posts. LOL

As usual they are all thoughtful, evocative, interesting and eclectic. Great minds run in the same channels ...

ChopinGal - how did the SC snow woman shape up? She melted way too fast!

Thanks to everyone for hiding spoilers - Can't wait to start watching season 8 - feel a little left out with all the posts relating to it! When does S8 begin for you?

The Pete issue was a tester - but everyone gave great posts! Ah, poor Sam ... so many men, so little time.

It's great to hear all the Amanda snippets re her filming stunts - what a lady!!! That's why we love her!

So how do you get tickets to Gabbit? See my answer below!

If some of us can't get tickets - how about a group meet anyway either before or after the event? I would be happy to travel down to "the big smoke" to meet up!!
                  Hey There, it would be great if you could come to the London GABIT event too! Go to Amanda's website www.amandatapping.com and see if the GABIT details are still on the menu. If not, do a Google search. I think the connection to their group should still be up at AT's website, though. It may be temporarily off because of the cancellation of the February event due to AT's pregnancy. New dates for Fall 05 are to be announced when finalized and then I'm sure all will be listed again.

And, yes, once the GABIT plans start to take shape, we want to meet you too in "the big smoke" which, quite surprisingly, wasn't all that "smoky" when I was there in September. The no-smoking now in pubs and restaurants and public places really made a difference from when I was there in the early 1990s.

Gosh, here's a trivia question: Does anyone know if AT smokes or smoked? I can't picture her in that manner, but do know that Teryl and the guys (MS, CJ, DD) are cigarette smokers. It seems that they are more relaxed in Canada about that then in the states. This is not meant to be a judgement on the group, it just came to me as an afterthought as I'm writing to Coley about London's pollution.
                  Last edited by ChopinGal; 05 February 2005, 11:23 AM.

Comment

Woohoo! Gateworld is back up!...and so is the best Forum thread!
                    Watching the Season 1 poll, I see that Singularity and Solitudes are coming in as the strong favorites. I had already done some screen caps from Singularity, but I hadn't done any screen caps from Solitudes, so I decided to see what I could get that went along with the comments in this thread...
                    Originally posted by Kes
                    My favorite "Sam" moments....
                    Solitudes. Trying to keep Jack alive. Working so hard to get them out. Climbing out of that hole just to see miles of snow and ice. Her quiet "I'm here Jack" when he calls for Sara. Just lovely stuff.
                    Originally posted by chocdoc
                    I chose Solitudes because Sam expresses fear and resolve at the same time. She is frightfully aware of the dire situation and she is worried!, yet at the same time she shows utter determination to get them out of there. She doesn't quit. She is also tender to Jack when she pretends to be Sara near the end with "I'm here, Jack."
                    Originally posted by majorsal
                    I voted Solitudes. This ep really had it all (concerning showing just what Sam was made of). Solitudes is my all-time first choice for first season ep.
                    Originally posted by jckfan55
                    I picked Solitudes for the different sides of Sam we see. Caring, scientist, tough in the face of adversity, etc.

Excavating the DHD and then dialing and the 'Gate fails to connect.

Now, I can't look at that first photo without thinking of AT's MacGyver/MacUseless adlib

AT: You spent seven years on MacGyver and you can't figure this one out? We got belt buckles and shoelaces and a piece of gum...build a nuclear reactor, for crying out loud! You used to be MacGyver, MacGadget, McGimmick - now you're Mr....MacUseless! (lots of laughter from the film crew here...) Dear God! Stuck on a glacier with MacGyver! If there's anyone here who hasn't had a chance to check it out, you can view it here (it's the last third of the clip)

Originally posted by ChopinGal
                    Solitudes where we see, onscreen, the tremendous physical efforts of climbing and falling back down that Sam had to do. My understanding is that AT gave 110% on this and insisted on doing most of the stunts herself. And then add the sub-zero temps the actors had to work in.

Here's a direct quote by Amanda taken from Stargate SG1, The Illustrated Companion, Seasons 1 and 2, by Thomasina Gibson: "They literally plonked me on this icefield, and then the helicopter flew up further away so they could shoot a long lens whilst I crawled into a crevasse and crawled out again ... it was freezing cold and I got really wet, and then had a 45-minute ride back in the helicopter, but I just remember thinking that I was so lucky ... I was hiding in this crevasse with my arms sticking out, but I was perched on one foot on a tiny ice ledge, and could have slipped ... it was seriously scary. You could hear the ice moaning and groaning - but what an experience, eh?"
                    Originally posted by Tok'Ra Hostess
                    About her stunts in Singularity. Does anyone know if it was AT or her double who, when she came back from the surface, had to slide and bounce down the ice. That looked painful! And didn't AT say she hurt herself one of the times she slide off from where the DHD was?
                    In Solitudes, I believe she really was doing most of those falls herself. She talks about being completely bruised but also exhilarated from the challenge and experience.

These shots were difficult to get -- the lighting was very dark and AT was in constant motion, so most of the screenshots are blurry and/or grainy and/or too dark to tell what's going on. When you watch the 'falling scene' at real speed, AT is basically a blur skidding through the dark.

I remember an interview where AT said that as she was climbing up, she kept slipping and falling down...and they just kept the cameras rolling the entire time. In the final cut of the episode, they showed very little of her climb up and it looks like they spliced together a sequence of her spills for the 'falling scene'. She said that when it was all over... she was pretty much bruised all over...

This final shot with Sam and Jack was very dark- I lightened it a bit, and I hope it looks OK.

I want to say thanks again to Skydiver for creating and overseeing the Best Sam Episode Polls!
                    Last edited by astrogeologist; 10 March 2005, 04:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by hrh36
                      Hi all:

Just a quick generic post to say I'm glad Gateworld is back, too, mostly because of this thread!

Many thanks to whoever started it and to all of you for keeping it going. I'll come out of lurker mode and post more specifically now, I promise!

hrh
                      Welcome aboard hrh36!

Comment

Astro, once again ... a big thank you also for bringing our favorite hero and favorite scenes back to life!

Ouch! She literally threw herself into this role for Solitudes.

And another welcome to Samanda, hrh36! Don't be afraid to speak up. We're a user-friendly group!
                        Last edited by ChopinGal; 05 February 2005, 10:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by chocdoc
                          Yes, I missed this thread too!!!

I think we did lose several posts. I remember looking forward to reading MajorSam's posts about her survival training -- I didn't get a chance to read them and then GW went down. So, MajorSam--can you let us know how your training went?
                          Yeah, I actually posted two posts, that took a looong time to write, and then a few minutes later, GW went down, and now theyre GONE!!!

I REAAALLY hope I still have it saved... (I know save all the long spiels I write. as in write them in MS Word and then copy paste here. too many bad experiences with them messing up)

*Goes to check if saved, crossing fingers*

YES, I STILL HAVE IT!!! well, the first post.... here it is

Winter survival corps exercise in Canada in January? That sounds very painful to me ... Hope you've got your thermal underwear and hand warmers with you! And we'll miss you too but don't think about us when you're climbing an icy mountain or playing war games!

We just may have to swear you in as first president of Samanda when you get back. People love to vote for war heroes ...

Take care and be safe! CG

Thanks so much for your words and wisdom Obviously, I’m back now, and all I can say is THANK THE LORD.

Seeing as I’m back, I’m available to swear in as the first Pres at any time

This is a very OT post, but I just felt like telling some, and I repeat SOME of the happenings of my disastrous weekend!

We didn’t get to the first night’s camp site for HOURS because everyone got split up. Then we had to set up a massive Mod Tent (army tent massive thing…) and EVERYONE had to sleep in it even though females in same tent as males is like, illegal, and my spandex pant things I was going to put under my combat pants for sleeping DISSAPEARED, and it was in the middle of a rainstorm, so I was freezing cold, lying on the ground, with rocks sticking into me everywhere with a leak in the tent dripping water right next to my face all night with guys snoring like chainsaws everywhere.

Next morning, up at 5, meeting with the CO’s about the patrol/hike up the mountain. There were 3 Corps there. The corps I’m in, our sister corps, and a “rival” corps. I was in charge of half my corps, my best friend was in charge of other half, the rivals went ahead to booby trap the mountain, and the other corps had their own section. So we have this whole elaborate plan thing, but then NO one packed their kit properly, so everything was al mushy and falling so that took HOURS to fix, and then our camoflauge was frozen and everything was all messed up, and the three sections ended up doing the 4 hour hike with 100 pound ruck sacks on our back, up snow and ice, with “bombs” planted under bridges and stuff. (not actual bombs, but they still went BOOM with smoke and fire when we “diffused them safely* )

So, four hours later, a few people evacuated back to first camp, we’re in still rain, with massive deep snow, up the mountain. We were told by the brilliant higher-ups to “pack lightly” so we all had basically our one pair of clothes, and by now we were already soaked. Horrible hours of disorganization later we FINALLY have our tents up, and have the water to heat up our lunch rations going. Hours later we have HAD lunch. Then myself, my best friend and the sister corps person had a meeting about what our sections were doing. 5-10 mins later, all those plans change and while we try to get our people ready the CO is there yeeeellin away.

I have some fabulous times realizing that the snow in some places goes up my entire leg, to my belly button, and I’m 5 foot 10 inches, so that’s something.

Anyways, I finally get my people going, but then frickin base camp radios in asking what the passwords and stuff are. Obviously you can’t say them over the radio, so I have to split from my section to go back. I’m almost there when BOOM the ‘enemies’ are there, so all base camp goes running off, I get to cover etc. I keep getting radioed “ooh, 11Bravo, where’s your section?” and I keep saying “I was separated to come and negotiate passwords, rest of my section should be there!”

FINALLY the enemies go away, I negotiate passwords, and start heading up this cliff to meet with my section. About 45 mins later, and even MORE soaking wet and freezing, if that’s possible, I FINALLY meet up with them. We have to build an OP (Observation Post, sentries) up this little hill thing, and of course my lazy section just stands there and whines so I have to keep yelling at them to keep going. That all eventually gets up, and the final 2 go to set up the next point, while a newbie and I stay at this point. FINALLY we get relieved by the next group of people, and go back to base. By this time it’s getting quiiite dark.

BLESSEDLY they say we can get out our dinner rations and stuff. I discover while trying to warm my hands that there’s hot water for tea or coffee or hot chocolate, so I get some massive strong cappuccino mix and burn my tongue trying to drink it. It still hurts : ( Anyways, the other sections eventually all get back, and the CO is still blabbing about “getting into your tents, warming up and getting dry clothes” WELL YOU TOLD US TO PACK LIGHT. Yeah, no one had dry clothes, and it’s raining, getting on in the night, 4 feet of snow in places we have to walk, no drinking water, and wind is starting to pick up. Finally my best friend and I are in our tent. We don’t know if we still have to go do a patrol later that night, but we don’t care, we get into our sleeping bags and stuff. Probably too much information, but in our underwear only, and as many dry shirts as we could find. That’s the only dry things we COULD wear.

So then my best friend is REALLY cold, and shaking. She’s not stopping. Finally we get an officer over, she has to be evacuated. I ask to go with her, and at first their like “no!” but thank the lord they’re then like “Yeah, actually, we need a female, go with her” so me and her have to borrow dry combat pants from various people, get her warm water and I have to walk her down a hill to where a truck, hot like a sauna, is waiting. She’s piled in masses of clothing, because guess what? She has hypothermia!

So we go back down to first base camp, I get her a hot dinner, hot chocolate, keep her in the hot truck. After hours, her hands are still ice. Finally she gets warmed up and stuff, and we go into the massive mod tent to sleep. Thing is though, hypothermic people aren’t really supposed to sleep for a certain time, and that time hadn’t been reached, so I had to stay up all night, back on the ground and the drips and the rocks in my back, making sure that she kept breathing and stuff, while basically lying on top of her, trying to get her warm. At about 3, she wakes up, shaking again. Finally after about an hour she tells me to go get the medic guy, and we heat up the car again, and she sleeps in there, while I sit in the seat behind her.

Next day I wake up, make breakfast for everyone again, make sure they all ok, and then ride up the mountain again to see what’s going on with mine and my best friend’s stuff, which we just abandoned. I find out it was all simply chucked into garbage bags, which is good, I don’t have to pack it all up, but I just hope with my LIFE that it’s all there because the tent and sleeping bag were my dad’s that he’d used for many decades, and he would have killed me if I lost something.

So I’m supposed to get a ride down again in the truck to get back to my best friend, as well as because I basically ran the entire sickie’s place for the officer, by volunteering, so he said I deserved to get a ride down again, but, of course, that didn’t happen. So, another few hours of hiking!

After hours of confusion in the pouring rain later, we FINALLY got into the vehicles to go HOME! We all had to put all the equipment and stuff back to storage rooms and stuff, but we actually got back almost 3 hours early, so I got home early and got to see my cousin, who left an hour later back to the airport to go back to Australia.

Then my best friend and I got into our bathing suits and into Jacuzzi for a whole long while (very squashy fit) with candles and incense and funnily enough, the extra glow sticks I had from the weekend, and then we went out for sushi and watched a chick flick and I finally got to SLEEP. First time in three days!

If anyone actually read this post, than I have to say I am NOT in the actual Canadian Forces, and this weekend does not reflect the Canadian Military at all! They are actually the most highly-trained soldiers in the world.

Yup, so those were some of the things I did while you all have been posting like mad, so I’m going to now go and read over the last 7 pages of posts!!!

~~~~~

K, that was the post, I don't remember what I said in it, but I hope it all makes sense!!
                          The Von MajorSam Family Singers debut CD... Coming soon

^^Sam/Jack^^
                          |||Official Member of the Chevron Guy Fan Club||

Comment

How about sharing your favorite Sam and Janet scenes?

I don’t think we’ve talked much about Janet on this thread, but one of the things I like about SG1 is that they showed us a real friendship between Sam and Janet. It was a friendship that was allowed to develop over the course of the show, not just inserted as a plot device, and then forgotten; or worse, exploited to further a plot.

There weren’t nearly enough of them, but I’ll start with an easy one, the birthday cake scene in Rite of Passage. The interaction between Sam and Janet, and with Cassandra, hit just the right notes. There was an easy camaraderie between them that didn’t feel forced. The scene was humorous, but also demonstrated how much they both cared for Cassie, in spite of the adolescent attitude. It was very well written and very well-acted. Just watch Amanda and Teryl's faces during the scene. Their reactions are excellent!

“Janet:
                            Fine! Invite him in. I'm sure he'd like to have a piece of birthday cake that Sam went to all the trouble to bake.
                            Sam:
                            (softly, under her breath to Janet)
                            Buy.
                            Janet:
                            Bring!”

NC

LOL - Great quote NC! I too enjoyed the friendship between Sam and Janet. In one of the DVD commentaries somewhere AT and TR talk a bit about how they wanted their two characters to be friends as they were the two main women on a show populated mostly by men - and I think jckfan55 stated AT's and TR's goal perfectly:
                            Originally posted by jckfan55
                            RE: the Sam & Janet friendship. I just like that it's clear that they are friends and not in competition.
                            And when I thought of Sam-Janet moments, I immediately thought of the scene in Ascension, which I see that Skydiver also noted in her reply.
                            Originally posted by Skydiver
                            i like the sam/janet angle in ascension. Janet is concerned, and from sam's tone, i'm thinking that janet has been harping on her a bit about working too hard and the such

there was such wonderful tension between them

i really wish they'd have left a scene in ascension that they cut out

the scene was, after sam's psych eval, she was in her lab, but not cleared for duty, janet comes in and talks to her and mentions that sam's been cleared...but everyone forgot to tell her that she'd been cleared.

that little bit of betrayal is what adds to sam's readiness to keep orlin a secret

Sam:Next thing you know, I'm waking up with Colonel O'Neill looking down on me.
                            I mean, I suppose it's possible I touched something inside the device.

Janet: You have no contact burns.
                            Sam: So, what do you think it was?
                            Janet: Well, people have been known to black-out from fatigue.
                            Sam: (Scoffs) Come on Janet. I was a little tired , but ...
                            Janet: Your premission blood tests did show slight anemia.
                            Sam: But, you gave me clearance to go.
                            Janet: And I'm starting to question that judgement.
                            Sam: (Smiles) There is nothing wrong with me.
                            Janet: OK. At least consider what you've been thru the last few years ...
                            You have had a Tok'Ra symbiote die in your brain, your memory has been stamped,
                            and then your entire consciousness has been transferred into a computer, then back again ...
                            and THAT is just for starters. Eventually, it has to take it's toll.

Sam: (Smiling) Are we done?
                            Janet: Yes. Be sure you come back if you start speaking an alien language.(Sarcastically)
                            Sam: (Sarcastically) I'm sure I'll have no choice.
                            The photos are screen captures from the episode 'Ascension'
                            The transcript excerpts are from the Stargate SG-1 Transcript website

Last edited by astrogeologist; 05 February 2005, 11:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by CUL8TRJACK
                              I really wish they would finally release a bloopers video. It would be a blast to watch, and definitely worth the extra money to see it.
                              Here! Here! I'd love to see a bloopers video!

Comment

Originally posted by Coley
                                Hello to everybody and a welcome to the new members who have come on board over the last couple of weeks!

By gum you have all been busy posting. It has taken the double cd of war of the worlds and the double cd this is the moody blues to get through all the posts.

As usual they are all thoughtful, evocative, interesting and eclectic.
                                Welcome back, Coley, we missed you!

Comment

Working...
                                X