No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just saw this thread and had to put my 2 cents in. Forgive me if I repeat some of what has already been said. I didn't really have time to read all of the posts. I love the character of Sam Carter. I started watching stargate because of the chemistry between the all of the main characters but I enjoy Carter the most. I think Amanda Tapping and the writers have done a great job with the development of the character as well...until season 7 that is (and I place no blame on AT for that). I think season 7 has found the character out of synch with the rest of the show's running.

Sam is a strong woman (unlike some other female main characters who are either incredibly stupid or so over-the-top feminist that it's ridiculous) and she has strong convictions. Her behavior up to season 7 dictates that she does what she does well and she does it passionately. There is nothing half-hearted about her actions or decisions. As a scientist she doesn't jump to any conclusions hastily...she has to think everything through...it's her nature. I think TPTB have forgotten or chosen to ignore that small factor of the character. I do appreciate seeing side of Sam that's not just the soldier/scientist however the Sam I know and love would not hastily jump into a relationship with Shanahan and certainly not an engagement. I also firmly believe (and this is one of the chief problems I see) that Sam knows the seriousness of the Stargate Program and would not petition for her *boyfriend* to get clearance. I think Sam is fully aware of just how many base personel go home to their spouses and aren't able to tell them anything...why should she be any different? They've made up cover stories before...why not now? I am a firm believer that Pete should not have clearance of any kind, especially because at the point he received it, there was (and in my opinion still is) a chance that they won't stay together.

While I don't believe there is any obligation on either of their parts and there have been no real promises, I am an S/J shipper at heart and fervently hope that they end up together. I'm still trying to decide if I can tolerate Pete as a platonic-friend-type-person for Sam (definitely not the romantic thing), but I am having trouble getting past his stalker issues (and I do like 'Pete-whumping' fics...he makes great villain too). I guess only time will tell.

To sum up, Sam is a great character and is entitled to make mistakes and to not be "herself" occasionally but I think someone really missed the boat with season 7 (not to be cliche or anything). Well, I think I'm done ranting now...maybe...

Comment

I haven't seen Grace in a while, but it was one of my least favorite episodes of Season 7. The main reason is it depicted Sam as being hung up on man issues, planning her life around whether she was going to get a fulfilling relationship. I also thought the quasi-confession about Jack took away some of Sam's maturity - it made it seem like she was now ready to move on from a crush. I really disliked that way of portraying Sam.

One of the reasons I wish Grace had been better (in the sense of filling out Sam's character) was that I also disliked Space Race, which was another Sam-centric episode. I really do like the character of Sam! I don't think giving her screen time should be dismissed as Sam-Spam. I don't mind her technobabble: that's part of Sam's character. I like to see Sam solving technical problems and getting down and dirty with a soldering iron. I also like to see Sam exhibit her military competence - kicking butt, exhibiting her marksmanship skills, and being given the chance to be the Hand Signal Person In Charge.

In future Sam-centric episodes I hope to see Sam grow as her own person, who doesn't have to define herself vis-a-vis the men around her.

Later,
      Graculus

Comment

Originally posted by sgater926
        I love the character of Sam Carter. I started watching stargate because of the chemistry between the all of the main characters but I enjoy Carter the most. I think Amanda Tapping and the writers have done a great job with the development of the character as well...until season 7 that is (and I place no blame on AT for that).
        Originally posted by sgater926
        Sam is a strong woman (unlike some other female main characters who are either incredibly stupid or so over-the-top feminist that it's ridiculous) and she has strong convictions. Her behavior up to season 7 dictates that she does what she does well and she does it passionately. There is nothing half-hearted about her actions or decisions. As a scientist she doesn't jump to any conclusions hastily...she has to think everything through...it's her nature.

Wonderful posting! I agree, I agree!

And I'm so relieved to see that AT will definitely be back for most of Season 9... hopefully the writers will create some strong scripts for her character.

Comment

Originally posted by graculus
          I don't mind her technobabble: that's part of Sam's character. I like to see Sam solving technical problems and getting down and dirty with a soldering iron. I also like to see Sam exhibit her military competence - kicking butt, exhibiting her marksmanship skills, and being given the chance to be the Hand Signal Person In Charge.
          Very well stated and I wholeheartedly agree!

We need some scenes where AT shows competence in the field - kicking bad-guy butt... saving lives... and commanding in the field! Hopefully, the writers will give us some of that in Season 9. Women in the military need some strong, competent, yet personable portrayals on TV and in the movies.

I also like your turn of phrase: 'Hand Signal Person In Charge' -- so perfectly descriptive!

Comment

I haven't seen Grace in a while, but it was one of my least favorite episodes of Season 7. The main reason is it depicted Sam as being hung up on man issues, planning her life around whether she was going to get a fulfilling relationship. I also thought the quasi-confession about Jack took away some of Sam's maturity - it made it seem like she was now ready to move on from a crush. I really disliked that way of portraying Sam.

I didn't have a problem with Grace, because there's nothing wrong with dealing with personal issues for our characters. Sam, until she got to the SGC, where she was judged solely on her abilities, has had to be better than the men to get ahead. She's had prior relationship problems. And she's a workaholic. As a result, she's put her personal life on hold and I don't have a problem with exploring that.

I *did* have a problem with the solution, the Pete thread, because I *do* think that it ends up demeaning Sam, because of the way Pete has been written. I have no clue what TPTB were thinking in the way they are writing Pete. They want me to like him--so they say--but every step has been a misstep for me. (And I have liked to one degree or another the other men who have courted Sam: Martouf, Narim [who turned out to be a stand-up guy], Joe [in 2001, but not in 2010 where he betrayed his world], even sad-sack Orlin). Pete is not someone I'd want to know in real life--and that's how I judge my characters.

As for Jack: I don't think the ep showed it to be a "crush" at all. I think it showed that Sam was no longer sure of Jack's feelings--it had been "in the room" for so long--and she was afraid that if she continued to put her personal life on hold until the regs were no longer an issue, she might find out that Jack was no longer interested and she had wasted all those years. The thing is that, for all her brilliance, Sam is not that good at reading people. If she were, she would know that Jack's feelings had not changed. (This was emphasized in Jack's reactions in the *real* part of the ep--what was going on back at the SGC.)

I thought Grace was an excellent ep.
            "He's an amazing man. After everything he's done, he's still modest. Quite self-effacing actually. He even likes people to think he's not as smart as he is. Bottom line, he's an incredibly strong leader who's given more to this program than any man has given to anything I can imagine."

Comment

I agree that whole characters have personal lives, and I include Sam in that. It was just cool that for a minute Sam stood for a woman with other priorities. Since that apparently proved impossible to maintain, my vote goes with Pete rather than Jack. I've just never seen the chemistry between Sam and Jack. That's not to say that Jack doesn't exude sex appeal - and I saw chemistry with Sara (Harley Jane Kozak) and a certain comfort level with Lara. I did, on the other hand, see chemistry between Pete and Sam. Sam is obviously less "tense" with Pete, and he seems to bring out her softer side. So if we have to ship Sam, I think Pete's the way to go.

Later,
              Graculus

Comment

I agree that whole characters have personal lives, and I include Sam in that. It was just cool that for a minute Sam stood for a woman with other priorities. Since that apparently proved impossible to maintain, my vote goes with Pete rather than Jack. I've just never seen the chemistry between Sam and Jack. That's not to say that Jack doesn't exude sex appeal - and I saw chemistry with Sara (Harley Jane Kozak) and a certain comfort level with Lara. I did, on the other hand, see chemistry between Pete and Sam. Sam is obviously less "tense" with Pete, and he seems to bring out her softer side. So if we have to ship Sam, I think Pete's the way to go.

Later,
                Graculus
                spoilers for s7's chimera

If I could turn off my Sam/Jack shippiness, I'd *still* not want Pete for Sam. He's not a monster by any means, but he was disrespectful to her in Chimera. I don't care if his 'cop instincts' kicked in or not, he still should have respected Sam's situation that she couldn't tell him what she did for a living. Was it ever shown in the ep that he was worried about her safety, or worried about his own, or that he thought she was into something illegal - because those are the only reasons I can think of for him doing what he did to her. For as long as I've thought about Chimera and Pete's actions/reactions in that ep, I still can't figure out why the writers wrote it like that unless they were going to go somewhere with it.

Even if I didn't like Chimera or the Pete storyline, I still like the writers delving into Sam's personal life.

And I LOVED Grace!

Sally
                sally

sigpic

Comment

I agree that Pete crossed the line in investigating Sam, but I think anyone with his resources would be tempted. I don't go for lunch meeting these day without expecting that the other person googled me. This is a society that lurches wildly between ideas of security and privacy, the power of knowledge and terror of the stranger. Pete had to face up to what he did, though, and Sam forgave him.

Jack, on the other hand, seems to be uncomfortable with Sam's intelligence, and sometimes he's outright mean to her. I figure that he's distancing himself as a matter of professional respect, so dallying with him won't get in the way of her career. He must have had a hand in getting Pete SGC clearance, too. I'm sure Jack wants the best for Sam, and he seems to think that the best is someone other than himself with Sam.

Later,
                  Graculus

Comment

I agree that Pete crossed the line in investigating Sam, but I think anyone with his resources would be tempted. I don't go for lunch meeting these day without expecting that the other person googled me. This is a society that lurches wildly between ideas of security and privacy, the power of knowledge and terror of the stranger. Pete had to face up to what he did, though, and Sam forgave him.

Jack, on the other hand, seems to be uncomfortable with Sam's intelligence, and sometimes he's outright mean to her. I figure that he's distancing himself as a matter of professional respect, so dallying with him won't get in the way of her career. He must have had a hand in getting Pete SGC clearance, too. I'm sure Jack wants the best for Sam, and he seems to think that the best is someone other than himself with Sam.

Later,
                    Graculus
                    Hi, Graculus. I feel what we're talking about has went too far off the topic of this thread, so I've moved this question to the 'ship discussion thread 1' and replied.

http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost....&postcount=544

I hope we can continue this discussion there.

Sally
                    sally

sigpic

Comment

Back on topic: Sam is really cool!

Comment

Originally posted by aeromathlete
                        Back on topic: Sam is really cool!
                        I second that observation!

And, for all who are interested, I ran across this thread yesterday:Sam Carter / AT - S9 -- Another thread that is Pro-Carter and wondering how BB's character will affect the team dynamics.

Comment

Originally this post was in reply to a comment made on the Sam-Jack Ship Family Thread, but I felt that the sentiments were most appropriate for the Carter thread, so I'm posting it here too.

Originally posted by sacme
                          IGTBTK
                          Spoiler:
                          Great seeing Jack use his ancient powers. [Again, I'll say-- Can we please see Sam use her powers before this show is over?!]

I agree. The show is more fun and interesting when it advances and develops the SciFi qualities of ALL of the major characters. The stories lately have been sorely lacking in their inclusion of Carter's heroic qualities and contributions. They had an episode where Teal'c got his mojo back... and they need something along those lines for Carter. Here's hoping that Season 9 does the character some justice.

Comment

Hi
                            I've enjoyed reading this thread. Astrogeologist's long post was the best I've read on the site so far. So thoughtfully written. Many things on that post I've thought myself, and some things which I hadn't, but agree with. So thanks for taking the time to post it

I also like the Grace interaction with Daniel. He flutters his eyelashes at Sam at one point and I think Amanda struggled not to laugh, but the exchange between them was perfection.

Agree with the "Welcome to my life" A writing gem with a superb delivery - emphasis on the "my"

I loved the scene between her and Janet and Cassie at the opening of Right of Passage. (I'm missing Janet) And the scene with her and Cassie playing chess in the middle of the ep'

AT delivers all her lines with total perfection and her expressions are brilliant. A lot of them are just for the briefest of moments. I'm amazed the big movie makers aren't beating her door down with a battering ram!

Having said all that, I don't like the way her character was written in season 7, she has just suddenly changed. I mean the acting is just superb, just not carter season 1 to 6, it's too much of a jump for me. I don't mind her with Pete, but the ship should end between her and jack, I think she has far too much integrity as an individual to date someone seriously when she's obviously still in love with O'Neill.

My take on O'Neill's attitude to Sam is he's crazy about Sam, but scared to death of being close to someone again???

Carter is just the best female role I have come accross, I doubt anyone other than AT could have portrayed the character so superbly. I hope we get back to her kicking butt in season 9 (though I haven't seen any season 8 yet)

Comment

Originally posted by Coley
                              Hi
                              I've enjoyed reading this thread. Astrogeologist's long post was the best I've read on the site so far. So thoughtfully written. Many things on that post I've thought myself, and some things which I hadn't, but agree with. So thanks for taking the time to post it

I also like the Grace interaction with Daniel. He flutters his eyelashes at Sam at one point and I think Amanda struggled not to laugh, but the exchange between them was perfection.

Agree with the "Welcome to my life" A writing gem with a superb delivery - emphasis on the "my"

I loved the scene between her and Janet and Cassie at the opening of Right of Passage. (I'm missing Janet) And the scene with her and Cassie playing chess in the middle of the ep'

AT delivers all her lines with total perfection and her expressions are brilliant. A lot of them are just for the briefest of moments. I'm amazed the big movie makers aren't beating her door down with a battering ram!

Having said all that, I don't like the way her character was written in season 7, she has just suddenly changed. I mean the acting is just superb, just not carter season 1 to 6, it's too much of a jump for me. I don't mind her with Pete, but the ship should end between her and jack, I think she has far too much integrity as an individual to date someone seriously when she's obviously still in love with O'Neill.

My take on O'Neill's attitude to Sam is he's crazy about Sam, but scared to death of being close to someone again???

Carter is just the best female role I have come accross, I doubt anyone other than AT could have portrayed the character so superbly. I hope we get back to her kicking butt in season 9 (though I haven't seen any season 8 yet)
                              Welcome aboard, Coley! Thanks for your kind comments and I agree with just about everything you said regarding Carter, although I have to admit that O'Neill has me pretty confused! (but that's a topic for another thread ).

I'm just a woman here, who loves scifi adventure...and needs to see some strong female heroes... Here's hoping that Season 9 develops the character of Carter in a positive light.

Last edited by astrogeologist; 07 January 2005, 01:24 PM.

Comment

Sam Video Montage

If you haven't already seen it there is a wonderful Sam-video-montage at

http://www.rocketfic.com/clips/from_my_friends_hi.mov

From RocketChick's homepage (which is a Janet-fan-site, but has this wonderful video of Sam clips). From her main webpage, you can scroll down and find links to the Sam-video.

Comment

Working...
                                X