Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jckfan55
    Just read the review of Gemini on the home page and I feel compelled to take issue with the comment there that AT slipped into "Sam" mode a couple of times when playing RC. I really didn't see that. My perspective was that any Sam mannerisms, for example, that we saw were due to the fact that RC was programmed from the original Sam and that RC was smart enough to want to appear as much llike the original as possible in order to manipulate her. To this viewer, they were very distinct characters.
    I agree completely. The RC knew when to change her approach to gain sympathy from unsuspecting Sam. So, yes, there were moments when she softened, appeared to be more human, like Sam, of course. I see it the same way.

It was terrific interpretation on AT's part to know when to incorporate parts of Sam into her portrayal of RepliCarter. The nuances are there, but all for a purpose. RC was just that devious and clever.

I'm glad I live in Samanda ... those other negative threads are annoying! For some reason, there seems to be a whole part of SG1 fandom who are just clueless or downright mean when it comes to Sam Carter. I've seen very petty, ignorant, and rude posts which are totally unfair to such a lovely person as AT. I wonder if some of these folks are just plain jealous of her beauty and her talent. It's a shame.

Comment

Originally posted by NearlyCircular

BTW, I'm a teacher, too, and should be writing an exam now, but this is way more fun!
      LOL I just wrote two pages of lecture notes and found myself lurking here again! My bad!!
      Last edited by ChopinGal; 30 January 2005, 05:23 PM.

Comment

Some of my comments reply to stuff that goes back a way, so hope it's not too confusing. And sorry about the length, this is me trying to make it short.

MajorSam: (I actuall DO do the Kumtraya thing with some people... haha)
        I have, um, yeah, I’ve done that to people. They, er, weren’t really that much of Stargate fans. So I guess that might explain why they looked at me weirdly.

Chocdoc: I also had a chance to read "Overtime" by Astrogeologist. Okay, this one has some serious Sam-whumping and heroism!! I wouldn't mind seeing more of this side of Carter in the show!
        That was your fic Astrogeologist?! Wow. It is the only fanfic of any sort I have ever read, so I’m probably not the most qualified to comment on these things, but I thought you really captured the character of Carter, and for that matter all the characters. I loved the Soldier Sam style story too. I read that story before I joined here, and until Chocdoc mentioned whumping I did not make the connection, as I had forgotten who wrote it.

I love the post Astrogeologist made with all the screenshots/comments on Death Knell, being one of my favourite eps. It’s been a while since I saw it though, so seeing the pictures was good. Fabulous, big post. I like fabulous big posts. *smiles happily*.

From discussion about Death Knell
        Astrogeologist: Being exhausted - perfectly reasonable and believable - and AT did it wonderfully. As you said, she definitely didn't look 'girly or weak, just real.'
        I agree, that scene in my opinion was brilliant. And, if one of the guys had been in that situation surely nobody would say they were girly and weak for resting? Maybe I’m wrong…

Samadrans is great MajorSam! Does this mean I am a Samadran now? Yay!

ChopinGal: So, here we go with the new chick on the block last night (Claudia Black) and she's already revealed that a) she had been a host and b) she's up to using healing devices. Holy Hannah - they're stealing Sam's plot lines already!!
        As a Samandan, I demand my rights! Sam's memories and abilities from Jolinar should be further developed rather than replaced by some invading female with sex on her mind and a bad a-t-t-i-t-u-d-e. Cheap shot, writers, cheap shot. Couldn't you have thought of some other talents for Vala?
        I just worry that Sam's role will be diminished even more by this. I want to see Sam doing these things (including the martial arts BTW) - not just gal in black.
        And, then, we have Lt. Colonel MM (aka known as the other FU - oops! excuse me, that stands for Farscape, Unemployed) coming on to probably head the team in Sam's absence. Hey BB should bring a lot to the show, but not at the expense of our Sam I hope! I'm willing to cut the writers some slack here, but I do question his having the same rank as Sam. And is fly boy gonna be ready to give back her command once she returns to duty?
        Okay, I feel better ... got that off my mind. I've followed the Samandan rules of conduct by being "fast to defend" our gal, Sam!
        Feedback, comments? What do my fellow Samandans think about this invasion of Sam's space?
        Well, personally I think Vala is too different to the normal style of the series. I agree with Daniel, she’s a fruitcake! But then, I am not 100% entirely behind bringing the cast of Farscape into Stargate. It might be ok, I’ll reserve judgement for now, seeing as I’ve only ever seen one episode of Farscape. But I can’t help but feel that maybe they don’t think Stargate is popular enough so are trying to popularize it by bringing in characters from a very popular sci-fi show, and characters like Vala. I hope Vala does not become a contestant to Sam for the role of ‘lead female’, as this I think would make the show go downhill irreversibly. To say it simply, I don't really like Vala, and ok, one appearance in Prometheus Unbound is fine, but bringing her in as a regular for season 9? Anyway, I’m babbling instead of thinking.

...deepspace is a PROUD MEMBER of the Sam's A Great Character Thread...

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

I dont think Farscape is more popular than Stargate - it was cancelled because the ratings were not good enough for the cost price. Farscape was there number one show until stargate went to the Sci Fi Channel and was more popular - SG1 is still on the air because it's ratings increase every year and it gets enough ratings to warrant it's cost price.
          Farscape was more popular with critics - all of them seem to love it. But not in terms of viewers.

I dont mind Vala - but when i saw her using Goa'uld Technology i immediately thought that is Sam's thing, I wish they would do more stories for sam involving Jolinar and being a host. I loved those episodes they were excellent.

Im a bit worried about bringing the Farscape cast in, i'm not against it, but my main concern is they will make Browders character the CO of SG1 and Sam would get bumped down. If that was to happen i would never forgive them for it. SG1 is hers now. I remember Reading an interview with Amanda Tapping and she said if there was a season 9 she is hoping there would be Episodes dealing with sam in command, making tough choices, and doing Things leaders do. So she seems to be enjoying sam in charge and is looking forward to more of it. It would be a slap in the face to her and her fans (and Sam) to do that. I dont see a reason to anyway - because Lt Col M.M was offered a SPOT on any team for great work if he recovered from an injury, not command, there would be no logical reason for a pilot to take charge permanately over a experienced field officer. Just like it would not make sense for sam to lead a F302 Squadron, She can fly, and im sure M.M can be a field officer but that isn't there strengths.

By the way i love this thread, i have been a bit disheartened by all the negative things about sam recently, im glad she still has alot of fan's.

Comment

Originally posted by THE BIG UNIT
            I dont think Farscape is more popular than Stargate - it was cancelled because the ratings were not good enough for the cost price. Farscape was there number one show until stargate went to the Sci Fi Channel and was more popular - SG1 is still on the air because it's ratings increase every year and it gets enough ratings to warrant it's cost price.
            Farscape was more popular with critics - all of them seem to love it. But not in terms of viewers.

I dont mind Vala - but when i saw her using Goa'uld Technology i immediately thought that is Sam's thing, I wish they would do more stories for sam involving Jolinar and being a host. I loved those episodes they were excellent.

Im a bit worried about bringing the Farscape cast in, i'm not against it, but my main concern is they will make Browders character the CO of SG1 and Sam would get bumped down. If that was to happen i would never forgive them for it. SG1 is hers now. I remember Reading an interview with Amanda Tapping and she said if there was a season 9 she is hoping there would be Episodes dealing with sam in command, making tough choices, and doing Things leaders do. So she seems to be enjoying sam in charge and is looking forward to more of it. It would be a slap in the face to her and her fans (and Sam) to do that. I dont see a reason to anyway - because Lt Col M.M was offered a SPOT on any team for great work if he recovered from an injury, not command, there would be no logical reason for a pilot to take charge permanately over a experienced field officer. Just like it would not make sense for sam to lead a F302 Squadron, She can fly, and im sure M.M can be a field officer but that isn't there strengths.

By the way i love this thread, i have been a bit disheartened by all the negative things about sam recently, im glad she still has alot of fan's.
            Welcome to Samanda, TBU Nice to have you aboard, all the way from Australia! We're really a world-class operation: UK, USA, Canada, Australia ... what other countries are posting here? Come out, come out, and tell us where you're from.

Comment

Whoa, whoa, whoa... Is Samanda a city now?

Comment

Hi to all the teachers on this thread---this thread is way more fun than writing lectures and exams!

I read a con report that was posted on AT's official site that AT was asked about getting hurt on the job. This person reported that AT said that in a scene she tackled a Jaffa and accidently hit the huge collar plate that a Jaffa wears and she felt a bit sore afterwards. She continued to have some pain in her back---ended up going to get a massage and found out that she had a dislocated rib! It took some therapy to get it back in place. Ouch!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
                  I'm glad I live in Samanda ... those other negative threads are annoying! For some reason, there seems to be a whole part of SG1 fandom who are just clueless or downright mean when it comes to Sam Carter. I've seen very petty, ignorant, and rude posts which are totally unfair to such a lovely person as AT. I wonder if some of these folks are just plain jealous of her beauty and her talent. It's a shame.
                  I know what you mean here, but I think there is only a very small part of fandom that is this negative (it is there I know and they can be vicious to Sam and quite vocal!). I think that a majority of fans who criticize Sam's behavior or character at times do this mainly because they really like the character and don't want her to be written in a way that they see untrue to the character. Personally, I'd rather that the Sam character get alot of attention (with praise and constructive criticism) than little attention. Seems like most fans like her but Sam (as the female lead) gets caught between so many factions (ship with Jack to anti-ship with Jack or Pete; the female who can't be too "girly" or too "butch", being too much of a scientist to not being enough of a soldier/leader; being too smart/supersam to be being too stupid; etc). With all the expectations thrust on this one female character, I think she is holding up remarkably well! (Hey, I wonder if my first ever smilie worked?)

When reading the Gemini posts, of those who didn't like it, most I think are not bashing Sam--they are bashing the writers for the characterization of Sam in this episode. I actually liked the potential here for Sam (thanks to the refreshing insight from posters on this thread about Sam's potential character development from this episode).

Comment

Originally posted by Catysg1
                    I love Sam ..and she is just mixed up right now ..Who wouldn't be !!
                    She is just going through a hard emotionnal patch in her life and it does happen to everybody ...For her well ..she has an important job and it seems to conflict with her professional decisions ...but I believe that when you are unhappy in love , it must be difficult to work well..and yes she made wrong decisions because of that ....but hopefully it's only a moment in time , People grow and go through phases in life ..She 'll get through it but it takes time like in real life ...she is not perfect and she knows that .

All she needs to do is sort out her private life so that she can be a extremely good colonel ..and she'll do it .She wants to do it ...just give her a little time .

Caty
                    Welcome, Caty!

Intersting insights into our Sam.

Sally
                    sally

sigpic

Comment

As we begin to talk about our favorite S1 episodes, I'm remembering some of the AT articles I've read in which she pokes fun at herself for being such a "klutz" or "spaz" at playing Sam Carter (e.g., running, reloading and handling her gun, attempting stunts that end up hurting her, etc. etc.)

<snip>

GREAT! Thanks so much for sharing those tidbits. I LOVE stuff like that.

I don't really have anyting to add, but I have a question concerning this subject.

In S3's Rules of Engagement, Sam and Sg1 are shot unconscious during a fake-like firefight. When they wake up, Sam/Amanda has a scratch on her cheek. I've always wondered how that happened. Was it a real scratch, and they just had to incorporate it into the ep?

Sally
                      sally

sigpic

Comment

There was more to Amanda's quote, and, from what you just replied, I feel I should share it with you:

"... I'd open my mouth to take a breath and I'd choke. It happened about three times in a row! So after three takes, Richard turns to me and says, 'Why do you keep doing that?' So I smacked him and said, 'It's not like I'm doing it on purpose!' all girly-like."

Would have loved to have been on the set for that cute encounter, wouldn't you?!
                        I remember that part too. And it sounds just like what a guy would say. * at rda* But I'm sure Amanda's used to that kind of stuff, seeing as she grew up with three brothers. I guess it was training for when she worked on Stargate?

Sally
                        sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                          i believe that it was rules of engagement when she tripped and sprained her ankel....and was very grateful for the boots then because they do give a lot of ankel support

there was also an eps where there were explosions going off, she she got too close to one and got a little singed

I think she's referred to herself as having the ability to trip over thin air

She does do a lot of her own stunts, and i think, even more than RDA. In many cases, if you look close enough, it's really dan shea playing Jack, or Bill Nikoli

I believe that whole beginning of abyss wasn't even rda, it was dan. rda only did the part where we actually saw his face
                          This just popped into my head. *rubs head* I'd like to know what happened when the guys realized Amanda was 'really' knocked out in the elevator scene in The Enemy Within. How long was she out? Did she wake up on her own? Did they take her to the hospital? In the scene where they open the elevator up and we see Sam and Charlie in there; notice how they don't show Sam's face? I'm thinking it's because that wasn't Amanda. They had to let Amanda rest after they brokeded her.

Sally
                          sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Tok'Ra Hostess
                            Ugh! Yes, that scene where Turghan grabs her by the hair is just painful to watch. I don't know how he couldn't have hurt her.

I soooo cheered when she whooped his *ss!

About her stunts in Singularity. Does anyone know if it was AT or her double who, when she came back from the surface, had to slide and bounce down the ice. That looked painful!

And didn't AT say she hurt herself one of the times she slide off from where the DHD was?

What about the way Sam was man-handled in the scene where she was brought to face Apophis in s3's The Devil You Know. That scene, whether Amanda was treated roughly or not, looked hard to do. I wonder if she 'was' roughed up? Or, just in theory, was it an uncomfortable scene for her to do?

Please forgive me if I repeat myself a lot... my memories not what they used to be.... what was I saying?

Sally, who's betting Amanda's baby is a girl!
                            Last edited by majorsal; 30 January 2005, 08:27 PM.
                            sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
                              Just read the review of Gemini on the home page and I feel compelled to take issue with the comment there that AT slipped into "Sam" mode a couple of times when playing RC. I really didn't see that. My perspective was that any Sam mannerisms, for example, that we saw were due to the fact that RC was programmed from the original Sam and that RC was smart enough to want to appear as much llike the original as possible in order to manipulate her. To this viewer, they were very distinct characters.
                              *Totally* agree!

Sally
                              sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NearlyCircular
                                [I]Another stunt-type anecdote about Amanda is from Avenger 2.0. On the DVD commentary, she jokes about the difficulties she had reloading the new gun she was working with, "the Carter special". She says she just should have given up and thrown the bullets. She also talks about how she kept knocking over the fake walls everytime she stood up.
                                Thrown the bullets? Sounds just like an Amanda quib.

Speaking of that ep...

spoilers for s7's avenger 2.0
                                Spoiler:
                                I've said this before (I repeat myself too much these days, but I forget where I say it ) that I'd have liked to have seen what would have happened if Sam and Felger had been captured. It wouldn't have been comedy time, even for Felger.

Sally
                                sally

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X