Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ChopinGal View Post
    That, my younger friends, is the beauty of growing older.
    Wow. The beauty of growing older. You know, sometimes you have such a way with words, CG, you manage to paint a tapestry with them. Thought provoking and engaging, and I sit there thinking how incredible it would be to be able to express myself that well. You really have a gift and you were most definitely meant to inspire others with it.

On the subject of beauty, and of growing older, it's ironic you mention this. I sent a little note to a few friends a couple of days ago about a very short (2 minute) film which a colleague of mine made this year. It speaks to exactly this subject. Exactly. Which is why I'm going to post a link here. If you have a couple of minutes to spare, please do give it a look. Beauty and lifetime.

http://www.consciousweightloss.com/F...spx?id=essence

love to you all
    geek **

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
    ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek View Post
      Wow. The beauty of growing older. You know, sometimes you have such a way with words, CG, you manage to paint a tapestry with them. Thought provoking and engaging, and I sit there thinking how incredible it would be to be able to express myself that well. You really have a gift and you were most definitely meant to inspire others with it.

On the subject of beauty, and of growing older, it's ironic you mention this. I sent a little note to a few friends a couple of days ago about a very short (2 minute) film which a colleague of mine made this year. It speaks to exactly this subject. Exactly. Which is why I'm going to post a link here. If you have a couple of minutes to spare, please do give it a look. Beauty and lifetime.

love to you all
      geek **
      Thanks for the link, Minigeek. Definately interesting. I would green, but apparently I need to spread my love around a little further before showing my appreciation
      I'm not absolutely terrified of ageing in that my grandmother has proved to me that despite the advances of age you can be active, witty, silly, fun and utterly charming. She's the one in the family who on holiday has the manager and half the staff eating out of her hand within a couple of days. She and my grandfather are also usually nearly first in the pool. As a tag team on a day out, the charm offensive of myself, my mum and nana is devastating
      sigpic

Courtesy of smurf, as always

Comment

Originally posted by samcarterrules View Post
        Morning Everyone,

I just caught up on the posts and I was windering why are the GABIT AT events not looked at as proper cons? I'm confused, is it because its about AT and not all SG cast, or is it because its only small, or were you just joking and I've completely missed the joke maybe? That would be so like me LOL, just wondering...

Julia(samcarterrules)

Not sure if anyone else has answered, but while most cons are entertaining, they are just massive and you always feel as if there is an invisible line between you and the actors. While some are much more organized than others and not so intimidating( say like Shore Leave ), none truly compare with Gabit in my opinion.

Amanda made a comment last year at AT2 that I think described the difference quite well (Paraphrased due to the fact that I can't remember her exact wording). She said that the reason she liked AT2 so much was because it didn't actually feel like a convention. It felt more like she was sitting in her living room with 200 or so friends just chatting and having a good time and that's exactly how AT2 felt to me as well. It's like a huge party. Everyone is there for the same reason. To see the same person, so there is no animosity amongst the fans whatsoever. Also everything just seems much more at ease and laid-back. While I'm sure the G4( Julia especially) felt quite differently at times, as a fan I never ever felt as if I were being rushed through a line. In fact, during several photo sessions, I've seen the photographer take multiple poses of Amanda with her fan because they[ the fan] eiteher kept blinking, or wasn't smiling, ect. The photographer and coordinators could have just gotten frustrated, accepted the photos as they were and just said move on, but they didn't. Because Amanda and everyone else involved wanted to make sure that the photo was something each fan would treasure. That's the difference to me. The event was began not to make money, but rather to allow Amanda and her fans a chance to meet face to face and enjoy the weekend in the process.

While I thoroughly enjoyed Shore Leave, I have to admit that there are very few actors whom I would travel across the country/world to see. I'm sure they are all very nice people, but it takes someone extra special for me to do that and as others have said one of the biggest reasons for my going to any con is to meet other friends I have met over the years. My only frustration with the Gabit events is that they are only available in the UK. if we could somehow arrange for them to do a wekend in say -- I don't know -- umm Canada? Then I'd be in hog heaven.
        Last edited by ForeverSg1; 31 March 2007, 02:37 PM.

Comment

love to you all
          geek **
          What a lovely film that was, thanks for sharing it. I'm hoping that women's "invisibility" as they age is becoming less of an issue (maybe because I'm 40 later this year!). I was really encouraged by this year's Oscars, with three of the best actress nominees over 50. I mean, how fabulous is it that the wonderful Judi Dench was nominated at 72? But IMHO ageing is not something that AT needs to worry about, I think she'll always look fabulous. But of course so much of that is a reflection of her personality.
          "Many a good hanging prevents a bad marriage," William Shakespeare, Twelfth Night

Comment

Originally posted by NearlyCircular View Post
            I know it's kind of off topic, but here's the updated Gateworld to Sanctuary username decoder list.

Gateworld Name------ Sanctuary Name

Agent Dark------ Agent Dark
            Amber Moon------ Amber Moon
            antoa315------ antoa315
            becky preen------ becky.preen
            chelle db------ chelle db
            Chevron Seven------ Mangus7
            Chopingal------ Chopin Gal
            Dani76------ Dani76
            Deejay435------ Deejay435
            DipsofJazz------ dipsofjazz
            ForeverSG1------ Kat
            JanSam------ JanSam
            jckfan------ ?????
            JuliaR------ Julia.hague
            kes------ kes
            kir_fect------ KirFect
            LaCroix------ LaCroix
            Lady Jeep------ LadyJeep
            Linwelin------ Linwelin
            majorsal------ majorsal
            MajorSam------ MajorSam
            Mandysg1------ Mandy
            meredithchandler73------ meredithchandler73
            MickSpeed------ MickSpeed
            minigeek------ minigeek (aka ilovesushi)
            Myrth------ Myrth
            myblackrose------ myblackrose
            NearlyCircula------ r nearly circular
            Nibikko------ Nibikko
            Nolamom------ nolamom
            NZBG------ NZNeep (aka imakesushi)
            Parsifal------ Parsifal
            Purpleyin------ Purpleyin
            RealmOfX------ realmofx
            rderoch------ rderoch
            RepliCartertje------ RepliCartertje
            SamCarterFan------ Tamara
            samcarterrules------ samcarterrules
            SamFan31------ Intrepid
            scarimor------ scarimor
            SG Gato------ SG Gato
            scifithinker------ scifithinker
            SG1Poz------ ??? (Poz?)
            Shimmering Star------ ShimmeringStar
            SkyDiver------ Skydiver (aka wecallitbait)
            Spacegirlnz------ Spacegirlnz
            Stargate Barbie------ ????
            starprops------ maureenprop
            Strix Varia------ gunhilda
            SunKrux------ SunKrux
            suse------ suse
            SWMBOTGSG------ SWMBOTGSG
            Tara3583------ tara3583
            the dancer of spaz------ ???? (notoompahloompahtapdancing)
            Tracy Jane------ ????
            Tsaxlady------ tsaxlady
            ÜberSG-1Fan------ ÜberSancturaryFan
            wibbling------ wibbling

NC

Hmm, isn't TDOS just Spazz over there? I could have sworn I saw that name.

Comment

Originally posted by scarimor View Post
              I just want to say that
              I fangurl ChopinGal!

As you were
              I do too!!! Really CG...you have great post and always make me think or make me do something, or remind me about why Amanda and Sam are so great...

Because of your little post earlier, I actually started working on a wallpaper on how Amanda inspires us from what she was to what she became. It also has the many faces of Sam in it...

I am not 100% content with it cause it isn't exactly as I wanted it to have it...I think it misses something. I don't know what but something is missing... Oh well it is probably be me just being to picky...So here goes. I hope you all like it

clickie for bigger

Comment

Gah, now I can't wait till AT3!
                Tell me more... Really, I want to know more about GABIT cons. I went to the site...but it wasn't exactly telling me what I wanted to know. So, I figured I would ask here. I know I read there had been a cocktail party...but what other events happen over the weekend? Like....Amanda has a panel on this day, or a charity event on this one, you do photos here and autos there... What was your schedule like? It is a whole weekend, correct?

I just attended a Creation Con, and while I had some issues with it, I did enjoy myself. Sometimes I did feel like just a number, but then sometimes I felt more than that. It definitely had it's pros and cons...but I would certainly go back again. It was worth every penny for me to go to Vancouver.

That said-that's my only con experience! I want to try for AT3. But that is going to cost an arm and a leg-definitely more than Van was. Plane tickets aren't cheap, especially in the summer...I really want to know what I'm going to be experiencing, what to expect... I know everyone who has gone will say it was worth it...but what exactly made it worth the time and cost? What was your experience like? Come on, tell those stories that make me squee and shout 'I wanna go!'

P.S. Does anyone know if there will ever be another Avalon type convention? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by L.A. Doyle View Post
                  Tell me more... Really, I want to know more about GABIT cons.

I want to try for AT3. But that is going to cost an arm and a leg-definitely more than Van was. Plane tickets aren't cheap, especially in the summer...I really want to know what I'm going to be experiencing, what to expect... I know everyone who has gone will say it was worth it...but what exactly made it worth the time and cost?
                  For me? It was like meeting old friends - even though I'd never actually 'met' many of them face to face before.

When I walked in the door to the hotel the night I got in, everyone I ran into was so friendly and so warm. There were a lot of Gateworld(ers) there, and that made it quite special also. It is really about the people. I think there must have been at least 20 GWers that I met within the first official day of the event, more who I may not have. And likely 18 or so who frequent this particular thread. Even those who didn't, were friends immediately. Felt like we'd all known one another for eons. Admittedly, I'm sort of the type of person who will go sit at any table and say "Hi", so I'm sure I ended up doing that (sometimes probably scared people who thought - who the heck is this geek?! lol ). And we took over the hotel lobby a great deal (they were very understanding about that - the hotel was). We were just like a big family, exchanged hugs (much to Kat's shivery dismay <grin> - no, I'm kidding, she did too!) and we had lots of laughs, shared candy (TJ brought enough chocolate for a small army!), shared some lovely drinks (I recall Scari had gin and Ambermoon ... what DIDN'T she have? LOL Bailey's was her contribution. We had people sprawled across us on the couch in the lobby, chatted and laughed and stayed up all night long (some of us more than others *cough tsax and spazzy*). We just really - HUNG OUT. It was like ... really, a giant slumber party, I'm not kidding.

And as to Amanda's part (was she there?) LOL No no, I'm joking ... she really did say it best (as Kat mentioned in her last post), 200 friends. She'd come out on stage and sit or stand or be silly (mostly she was silly ), and we'd ask questions from the audience or express comments, she'd make us laugh hysterically in her replies (she's very funny). The audience and the stage are intimate, very close. Everyone who had a question got it answered. It felt like she was sitting right with us. One session sort of bled into another so you never really realized the day was going by until things were ending and you wished there was even more time. But ... then you'd go out and have a blast with everyone at a restaurant later (or if you attended the Gabit party, you'd meet friends there). And the room parties - after dark - can't say much about those, I'd be in big trouble!!

The autograph session was done in such a way that you really didn't have to line up for more than a few short minutes. You were called by your row, and while you were not in line you were doing something else like - breaking a Guinness World Record. (If I never see another UK Smartie again...)

What I remember most about AT2 was that I met a whole group of amazing, outstanding, inspiring people, friends I adore and hope to keep forever. More than that, it felt like home. Several thousand miles away from my house. I missed my kids of course, but it was a really emotionally inspiring trip. Amanda was part of that, the lovely friends I hung out with were part of that, and the Gabit staff also. I cannot say enough positive things about it.

If there is only one trip you can make for a "con" type experience in the next two years, then you MUST ... must ... MUST ... make it to AT3. You will not be disappointed.

/end gush

Comment

Tell me more... Really, I want to know more about GABIT cons. I went to the site...but it wasn't exactly telling me what I wanted to know. So, I figured I would ask here. I know I read there had been a cocktail party...but what other events happen over the weekend? Like....Amanda has a panel on this day, or a charity event on this one, you do photos here and autos there... What was your schedule like? It is a whole weekend, correct?

I just attended a Creation Con, and while I had some issues with it, I did enjoy myself. Sometimes I did feel like just a number, but then sometimes I felt more than that. It definitely had it's pros and cons...but I would certainly go back again. It was worth every penny for me to go to Vancouver.

That said-that's my only con experience! I want to try for AT3. But that is going to cost an arm and a leg-definitely more than Van was. Plane tickets aren't cheap, especially in the summer...I really want to know what I'm going to be experiencing, what to expect... I know everyone who has gone will say it was worth it...but what exactly made it worth the time and cost? What was your experience like? Come on, tell those stories that make me squee and shout 'I wanna go!'

P.S. Does anyone know if there will ever be another Avalon type convention? Thanks.
                    Gabit in a nutshell.

The cocktail party is separate from the actual weekend event. Last year it cost L80 in addition to your weekend pass. The price includes dinner with one free cocktail. It takes place on Friday evening and after everyone has eaten, Amanda enters the room and begins to mingle amongst the guests. The event is limited to 80 people, with approximately 10 people per table which allows Amanda time to sit for 5 mins or so with each table.

The weekend is like many other cons in that it consists of Q&A panels, as well as autograph and photograph sessions. The difference with Gabit is that each attendee recieves two autographs ( one personalized ) and a photograph with Amanda included in their ticket price. So there is no need to keep track of separate ticket stubs for autograph and photograph sessions. You just show up at a particular time, show them your pass and walk in. Very simple.

The weekend event begins on Saturday around 9am. There is a Q&A with Amanda, and then after a small break, they begin the first round of of the photographs session.

Then after lunch, there is second Q&A with Amanda and then the second half of the photograph session. After all the photographs have been taken, there is a auction and raffle for Amanda's charity. This is my absolute favorite part of the weekend. Before the auction, we get to meet several representatives from the charity Hearing Dogs for the Deaf and hear their often heart-wrenching stories. The later during the auction everyone is so warm, caring, wild and crazy that you really never know what to expect -- especially from Amanda. The lengths this woman will go to in order to raise money for these charities is truly awesome. I've never cried nor laugh so much in one place as I have at these auctions. It's just a wonderful experience to be a part of in my opinion. The day with Amanda normally ends around 7pm if I remember correctly, but there is a nightly disco for fans to attend in the evening if they so desire.

On Sunday it all begins again with another Q&A panel, the 1st half of autographs, a second Q&A and the last half of the autograph sessions. Then the four lucky winners of the Tea with Amanda raffle get to have a nice little tea party and later that evening there is a closing ceremony, where the organizers let us all know how money has been raised and we say our goodbyes to Amanda.

Throughout the weekend, many smaller events are planned to keep fans entertained while Amanda is busy during the autograph/photograph sessions. So instead of just having everyone stand in lines, you have your choice to chat with friends, grab some lunch or go to a planned event such as viewing of Stargate episodes and fan-made videos, a Q&A panel with Thomasina Gibson, or participating in a Guiness world records competition.

For me, the most noticable difference between a Gabit event and other cons is the lack of standing in long lines. At Gabit, they use a big white board outside of the photograph/autograph room and they simlply place the current row on it, such as row A and when they write the row you were sitting in on it, you know it's time to get in line. Otherwise, you just go on about your busy and wait impatiently until it's your time to stand before Amanda.
                    Last edited by ForeverSg1; 31 March 2007, 03:34 PM.

Comment

Thanks mini and Kat! Keep these stories coming!

Comment

I *must* make it to AT3. I am just scared that I won't get tickets since they only have 200 (and only 80 for the cocktail party), and then if I do get tickets, that I won't be able to get the time off. Gah. *Stress*

Any word about when they will be selling tickets? Or when they will be giving us a more secific date than 'Spring or Summer 2008'?

Comment

Gabit stories? You want a Gabit story? Here's a Gabit story...
                          Spoiler:

I am in so much trouble now...

*running*

geek

Comment

Originally posted by antoa315 View Post
                            I *must* make it to AT3. I am just scared that I won't get tickets since they only have 200 (and only 80 for the cocktail party), and then if I do get tickets, that I won't be able to get the time off. Gah. *Stress*

Any word about when they will be selling tickets? Or when they will be giving us a more secific date than 'Spring or Summer 2008'?
                            Yes...spring or summer... It has to be summer. That is the only reason why I am considering this. The timing is great for me. I hope there are more specifics soon.

Comment

Originally posted by antoa315 View Post

That is what I am afraid of too that I will not have a ticket...and I am so looking forward to AT3...Really I *have* to be there... I mean London was already amazing but being there to meet Amanda will be awesome...

And meeting all my friends from Samanda even more so...

I really am looking forward already to getting there. I just hope it isn't in July or August cause I know for sure that then it will be hard for me to get time off...but even then I will try to get time off...

Comment

Tell me more... Really, I want to know more about GABIT cons ...

I want to try for AT3. But that is going to cost an arm and a leg-definitely more than Van was. Plane tickets aren't cheap, especially in the summer...I really want to know what I'm going to be experiencing, what to expect... I know everyone who has gone will say it was worth it...but what exactly made it worth the time and cost? What was your experience like? Come on, tell those stories that make me squee and shout 'I wanna go!'
                                The Gathering

Samandans young and old
                                Have been to London to visit the Queen
                                They gathered at the Renaissance
                                A regal location at which to be seen

Names were exchanged for faces
                                As the Samandans met in person
                                A weekend with Amanda
                                Turned into quite an extraordinary excursion

From near and far they came
                                UK, Canada and the States
                                They couldn’t wait to meet each other
                                It was a bloomin’ Samanda gate!

“Hic comitas regit” came alive
                                It is the kingdom’s motto
                                Getting to share this event together
                                Led to plenty of communicado

For those of you who don’t know Latin
                                Here’s the bottom line
                                There were many moments
                                Where kindness, generosity and love did shine

Everyone met Amanda
                                And spent precious moments with her
                                Having photos taken and autographs written
                                A special hug from Sam added to their pleasure

The Queen never looked better
                                Radiant and amusing at the same time
                                She is still amazed at her fans’ response
                                Which makes her gratitude even more sublime

Because “Princess Amy” was in the room
                                The questions and answers were much less bawdy
                                The Queen and crowd were on good behavior
                                Even though her mischievous looks were naughty

She is so alive when she enters a room
                                Catches everyone up in her wake
                                Amanda is an ambassador of good will
                                The more she gives, the more fans take

An exchange of love from both sides
                                The Queen reaps what she does sow
                                Her tears were real and heartfelt
                                And made the fans’ tears also flow

Besides the tears there was the laughter
                                With Amanda and without her
                                Samandans kept the celebration going
                                In lobby, pubs … wherever

It was a glorious weekend
                                Full of fun and mirth
                                A gathering for a special lady
                                Cementing friendships of great worth

I wrote this last November when I returned from AT2. Kat and mini have shared some wonderful tidbits already. I had the good fortune to attend the first GABIT also. Like you, I had never been to any sci-fi "cons" and didn't know what to expect. I don't think the larger events would be my cup of tea ... and at GABIT you can actually win a raffle to have a cup of tea with Amanda on Sunday afternoon. Good karma was raining down on me that weekend and I actually won the opportunity to spend a special half hour with Amanda, along with dipsofjazz and GateGirl422 ... woot! Meeting all these lovely Samandans in person and seeing the previous year's friends were another part of such a special time.

As folks have said, GABIT is about the people. The G4 and Amanda set the tone. We really did camp out in the hotel lobby and some of my favorite moments were: the concern for Deejay and writing the card out for her in the lobby, everyone missing her; going into London with my "adopted" kiddies from across the pond, Coley and 1speed; deciding to polish off the bottle of champagne in the tea room with Amanda rather than our sipping tea; Amanda being whisked away by JuliaR (G4) and wistfully looking back over her shoulder, smiling at the four of us who followed her from the tearoom into the presentation hall for the final event; Becky Preen (G4) rushing around and actually making little wrapped gifts for all of us which were at the table in the tearoom. Little moments of thoughtfulness and just pure fun throughout. I arrived late at a Sunday night pub gathering and my fellow Samandans applauding as I walked in because they were happy at my good fortune at winning the tea raffle. How awesome is that!

I would be amiss if I did not THANK AGAIN my fairy godmother who actually made this second trip possible. Love you dear heart. Hic comitas regit.

Beautiful time, beautiful memories. GABIT is the way to go! Try it, you'll like it.

Comment

Working...
                                X