Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Coley
    Originally posted by Strix varia
    I'd hate to try to run a site like Gateworld. They do a fantastic job, I think, so I don't want to sound like I'm complaining. But I have been frustrated in my inability to regularly access my daily dose of laughs on this thread.
    I agree they do a great job, lots of folks must give up a lot of their free time to keep the site going for us all. Cheers to any of those looking in!!
    I agree! Many thanks to Gateworld's tenders (GWPTB)!

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
      I'm hoping Sam comes back with a bang. So it's not just waiting til July--but more like August. Argh.
      Hopefully, it's a positive bang... something that makes lots of fans think *cool!*

Comment

From a technical standpoint (I used to do this stuff for a living) it's likely that the problems are being caused by one of a couple of things... this is pure speculation, but some technical reasons it could be happening...

1. The traffic in this forum is creating too high a load on the database server and it's crapping out.. my sql errors generally point to that, page not found does not though.

2. The script itself can't cope with the load.. again the mysql errors.

3. The hosting servers are really ****e (scuse the language) and they can't cope with the traffic, or they just crap out like this regularly for all their clients (in which case they shouldn't be in business).

4. The script for gateworld isn't 100% compatible with the hosting services available and parts of the script stop working intermittently.

5. The host really doesn't want to host this site and isn't trying very hard to keep it running.

Either way the guys running the show here have my full sympathies, and if they are looking for hosting I might be able to help. If their listening, PM me.

Originally posted by astrogeologist
        LOL! Hackers, viruses or something else?
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
          SEASON 9 SPOILERS>>>

As much as I'll dislike not seeing Sam for several eps and detest seeing that outfit on Claudia Black (please PTB, PLEASE don't degrade my favorite show with worthless sexual hype), I'll be interested to find out who Vala really is.

Will she have a chance to interact with Sam at all? I don't even know. It would be interesting I think to see two strong women maybe bumping heads...maybe even discussing their similar/dissimilar experiences (one with a Tok'ra and one with a Goa'uld).
          In Michael Shank's latest interview (at About.com - link is on Gateworld's front page) he all but says that CB is going to be around in episodes beyond the first 6. He says it at the same time that he says that he 'can't say anything'. Sounds to me like they are going to make her either a regular cast member - or a recurring character that they will bring back as much as they want (and as often as her schedule allows if they don't sign her as a regular cast member).

If she is coming back for more episodes, I'd really like to see Vala and Sam discussing 'life after being a Goa'uld host'. I'd like to see Sam working with controlling and operating Goa'uld tech, and Vala trying to help her. It would be interesting if the Goa'uld tech works best if a person can open themselves to their darker emotions... and Vala finds that easier than Sam does - so Vala has more success with the tech while Sam struggles with it - and I'd like to see it take a real physical toll on Sam.

Comment

according to greg, there's also a serious ram issue going on. maybe they have it fixed now, but the server just couldn't handle the script/users/traffic
            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
              Hmm I'm not really sure how each award determines leading and supporting status, but it seems to be different for each. For Saturn Awards, AT has always been nominated in the Best Supporting Actress category, whereas with Leo's it seems to be Best Lead Performance by a Female.
              • 2005: Won a Saturn Award for Best Supporting Actress in a Television Series
              • 2004: Nominated for a Leo Award for Best Direction for the episode, 7.19 "Resurrection"
              • 2004: Won a Leo Award for Best Lead Performance by a Female in a Dramatic Series for the episode, 7.13 "Grace"
              • 2004: Nominated for a Saturn Award for Best Supporting Actress in a Television Series
              • 2002: Nominated for a Saturn Award for Best Supporting Actress in a Television Series
              • 2002: Won a Leo Award for Dramatic Series: Best Lead Performance - Female for the episode, 5.03 "Ascension"
              • 2001: Nominated for a Saturn Award for Best Supporting Actress on Television
              • 2001: Nominated for a Gemini Award for Best Performance by an Actress in a Continuing Leading Dramatic Role for the episode, 4.16 "2010"
              • 2000: Nominated for a Saturn Award for Best Genre TV Supporting Actress
              • 2000: Nominated for a Leo Award for Best Performance by a Female in a Dramatic Series for the episode, 3.06 "Point Of View"
              Award details from SG1-solutions.com

Kat
              Thanks for the info, Kat! What an impressive list!

Comment

Well since Strix asked I thought I'd give it a try... it's not great but it will due I guess.

Here's a little something for Amanda as she celebrates her first Mother's Day with beautiful Olivia.

Help Me Remember

I wish I could take the credit for the poem and the beautiful background, but alas I can not. Unfortunately, I've misplaced the link where I found the background, but it was so beautiful I decided to use it anyway. Hopefully I won't be prosecuted. I swear no money was acquired from this collage...it was made simply to express my joy and admiration!

Kat

Comment

Ooops...the Queen has been practicing with the Goa'uld ribbon device again...
                  ...looks like one of the blue jellos was KIA.
                  Love your new jello creation/modification. Oh no! KIA!!- what a loss of precious contents.

Comment

Guess this episode or add a caption!
                    The Episode is
                    Spoiler:
                    Season 5 - The Tomb

Caption:

Carter: Teal'c if this is any indication of the way Mitchell was performing while I was gone it's no wonder General Landry was so desperate for me to return and take over leading SG-1 again.

Teal'c : Indeed.
                    My View From The Peanut Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by Fred
                      A thought on 'Gemini'

QUOTE:
                      "However, I think there is an equally valid argument that the safe route was not necessarily the
                      most ethically or philosophically correct route, ..."

THOUGHT:
                      Nor, as has been shown in the past, the most efficacious.

1. Menace

Action: Jack destroys Reese
                      Result:
                      a. Asgard are unable to come up with a definitive solution to the replicator threat.
                      b. Replicators are still a major threat

2. Unatural Selection

Action: Jack causes Fifth to be left behind
                      Result:
                      a. An embittered Fifth
                      b. Carter abducted and subjected to mental torture
                      c. Creation of 'RepliCarter'
                      d. Replicators are still a major threat
                      Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
                      (For Season 9 Sam as the Final Word...Sure, she turned on the gadget that (supposedly) eliminated all replicators in this galaxy. But what about the rest of the universe? And what about Repli Carter, who I still say was beamed away in Reckoning 2??? I want Sam to go head to head and hand to hand with Repli Carter and kick her butt.
                      Originally posted by Simhavaktra
                      In season 9, I'd like to see a situation where the SGC has to decide whether to trust a former enemy (who is not a double of Sam ), and RepliCarter is the reference to which everyone refers, and because of which, Sam's opinion is mostly discounted. But, when the decision to trust or not is made opposite to her opinion, it turns out to be wrong, and Sam has to use her empathy - as well as her scientific and military expertise - to salvage the situation and save the world, and succeeds brilliantly. (hey, I like 'Sam saves the world' stories! )
                      I'd like to tie Simhavaktra's idea with chocdoc's:
                      Originally posted by chocdoc
                      I would like to see a future Sam story that deals with her bravery as a leader of SG-1. A situation where the team is caught in a dangerous situation-- and she covers for Teal'c, Daniel, and Mitchell as their leader, ensuring that they make it safely through the gate. As a result, however, she is captured, or has to survive on her own for a bit oh say under harsh conditions, and has to use her own resourcefulness to survive. I would like to see something where soldier Sam has to protect her team, and sacrifices her own safety for the team.
                      So... the Air Force and the SGC put together an offensive (or a counter attack) of some sort to deal with some 'possible' off-earth alien threat... Sam and Daniel advocate a more trusting and investigative approach... they are overrulled...Sam can't speak out too much because she has to follow orders, but Daniel can get *really* tweaked... the Replicarter/Gemini incident is used by people on both sides of the arguement (each 'side' sees things differently). Ultimately, the 'shoot first' group wins and the more aggressive military approach is approved. Sam has to follow orders - she does so reluctantly, but she is professional about it and 'shuts up and carries on'. Daniel harrasses her about it (he's pissed at everyone now).

They go offworld to carry out the mission - with several other teams. An aggressive Marine Colonel is in overall charge of the mission. It all goes to he!!... the SGC teams are decimated. Sam ultimately sacrifices herself to get the rest of her team through the gate. She's injured and ensconces herself to provide cover fire as she orders Mitchell to get the rest of the team, and himself, back to the SGC.

Ultimately, Sam holds out against the enemy until she passes out... or she Escapes and Evades (while hampered by her injury... say a shoulder wound) for awhile (a few days or so)... eventually, Sam either makes contact with some non-militaristic locals and then proceeds to talk rationally with them... or the SGC sends another assualt group through the 'Gate - which diverts the attention of her pursuers... then Sam doubles back and attacks them from the rear as they face the larger force of new SGC personnel in front of them.

In the end, the aliens are found to be reasonable and even friendly... of a technological level at least equal to that of earth, but with some inventions and tech that we don't have - and we have some that they don't.

Errr... or something along those lines?

Comment

Well since Strix asked I thought I'd give it a try... it's not great but it will due I guess.

Here's a little something for Amanda as she celebrates her first Mother's Day with beautiful Olivia.

Help Me Remember

I wish I could take the credit for the poem and the beautiful background, but alas I can not. Unfortunately, I've misplaced the link where I found the background, but it was so beautiful I decided to use it anyway. Hopefully I won't be prosecuted. I swear no money was acquired from this collage...it was made simply to express my joy and admiration!

Kat
                        That's beautiful, Kat!

Comment

Originally posted by SamFan31
                          Love your new jello creation/modification. Oh no! KIA!!- what a loss of precious contents.
                          Messy too! (and thanks )

Comment

Help Me Remember
                            Lovely, just lovely ... and it warmed my heart because now I see my own daughter with babes of her own ... thank you, Kat! And Happy Mother's Day (before GW crashes again) to all the Samanda mommas on this thread.

Comment

I'd like to tie Simhavaktra's idea with chocdoc'so... the Air Force and the SGC put together an offensive (or a counter attack) of some sort to deal with some 'possible' off-earth alien threat... Sam and Daniel advocate a more trusting and investigative approach... they are overrulled...Sam can't speak out too much because she has to follow orders, but Daniel can get *really* tweaked... the Replicarter/Gemini incident is used by people on both sides of the arguement (each 'side' sees things differently). Ultimately, the 'shoot first' group wins and the more aggressive military approach is approved. Sam has to follow orders - she does so reluctantly, but she is professional about it and 'shuts up and carries on'. Daniel harrasses her about it (he's pissed at everyone now).

They go offworld to carry out the mission - with several other teams. An aggressive Marine Colonel is in overall charge of the mission. It all goes to he!!... the SGC teams are decimated. Sam ultimately sacrifices herself to get the rest of her team through the gate. She's injured and ensconces herself to provide cover fire as she orders Mitchell to get the rest of the team, and himself, back to the SGC.

Ultimately, Sam holds out against the enemy until she passes out... or she Escapes and Evades (while hampered by her injury... say a shoulder wound) for awhile (a few days or so)... eventually, Sam either makes contact with some non-militaristic locals and then proceeds to talk rationally with them... or the SGC sends another assualt group through the 'Gate - which diverts the attention of her pursuers... then Sam doubles back and attacks them from the rear as they face the larger force of new SGC personnel in front of them.

In the end, the aliens are found to be reasonable and even friendly... of a technological level at least equal to that of earth, but with some inventions and tech that we don't have - and we have some that they don't.

Errr... or something along those lines?
                              Hey Astro - great plot! And, if it doesn't happen, you'll just have to write the fic!!

Comment

Originally posted by Coley
                                Errr, for those who think I may have gone slightly off the rails again a Lancastrian to Yank translation:

Knobblies = knees!!

Phew! I got there before The Jester could haul me in for another quiet chat! Mops cold sweat off brow!!
                                Indeed, madam, indeed. I am relieved to see that you have defined the proper part of the anatomy being discussed. My Yankee version of knobblies was definitely a bit farther north.
                                Last edited by ChopinGal; 06 May 2005, 06:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X