X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
    there could also be a very practical reason for Sam over Daniel on atlantis
    Spoiler:
    AT was optioned for s11/s4. MS was not signed - to my understanding - thus if they wanted him they'd have to negotiate for his time which might not be as cost effective as using AT

just pure speculation on my part
    Cause Sam is....(*covers the eyes of all Daniel fans first...and puts cotton in their ears so they can't hear either*)

1) way cooler!
    2) way SMARTER!
    3) way FUNNIER!

That's my contribution to this topic of discussion..since I don't really watch Atlantis.
    sigpic
    I prefer to be called Sunny, Sun or SK. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by SunKrux View Post
      Cause Sam is....(*covers the eyes of all Daniel fans first...and puts cotton in their ears so they can't hear either*)

1) way cooler!
      2) way SMARTER!
      3) way FUNNIER!

That's my contribution to this topic of discussion..since I don't really watch Atlantis.
      Ah, such wise wise words from Sunny

As for Sam in Atlantis

Spoiler:
      I would rather Sam go over in Command of her own ship, rather than take Weir's place at running Atlantis.
      sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by ann_sgcfan View Post
        I was just reading the latest message from Amanda on her website and she said we would know more about her project next week!!! So yay good news! Hopefully more info on what it is about and so on...

She also talks about her shooting schedule and her appearance on Atlantis. Which is all news that we have heard before. Amanda continues to be supportive of the franchise, the cast and crew on Atlantis and the fans...She is so humble and very gracious! I for one can't wait to see the Sam character on Atlantis!!

I'm very glad she is able to spend more time with her family! So if you get a chance you might swing by there to check out the latest message from AT.
        Anyone who's met me at a con knows that I am NOT a huggy person, but I have to tell you after reading Amanda's message and hearing what she had to go through during the Christmas holiday, I truly wish I could give her a hug. How sad. I really don't know how she manages to keeps her spirits up, but I thank her from the bottom of my heart for the lovely letter she's shared with us and I hope some day she'll bottle up her secret for staying happy and sell it to me.

If I weren't a huge fan already, I definitely would be now.
        Kat

Comment

Originally posted by RealmOfX View Post
          Nah, not sorry I asked at all

I like seeing a lot of different opinions and the reasons behind them. My problem is that I can argue a case from pretty much any point of view and at the moment there are just way too many possibilities
          Ooh, prognosticating on the future of the franchise. I can do that:

Spoiler:
          Carter on Atlantis
          I think that Carter is going to wind up in command and Weir is going to be out. Amanda's most recent comment in the note on her website that she's only going to be filming four days per episode just about seals it. Typically, I think they spend seven or eight days filming each episode, so this means that Carter won't be getting as much screentime as Sheppard or Rodney. Also, and I'm not sure about this one, I think that right now Torri Higginson is working a similar schedule. She's made comments in the past about how she doesn't work as many days as the rest of the cast. So, I see this as being pretty close to confirmation that Sam will be put in charge.

Personally, I'd rather not see Sam on Atlantis. The idea of her flying a desk just like Weir has for the past three seasons just fails to get my blood pumping. Nor am I happy with the idea that she won't be on SG-1 or at the SGC. And, unlike some others, I don't think the writers have an in-story reason for bringing Sam to Atlantis. It doesn't make sense given the way that the Stargate Universe has been established. No, I'm pretty certain that it's outside factors that are responsible for Carter having such a large presence on the show next season.

Future of the Franchise
          This is the part where I disagree with Uber. I don't think that the producers are putting all of their eggs in the Atlantis basket. In fact, I think they're doing the opposite. As far as Atlantis goes, I think their is a primary goal of getting that show enough episodes for a strong syndication package. Right now they don't have enough. Eighty episodes will probably just make it, one hundred would be ideal. To that end, I think that the producers are putting Carter on Atlantis to satisfy the demands of Scifi Channel, the only viable outlet for first run episodes of Atlantis. So, in that regard, I guess I agree with Uber. I think the producers are willing to do just about anything to keep Atlantis on the air for the fourth season. Personally, I have serious doubts as to whether the show will continue longer than that. Atlantis has problems that a simple cast overhaul won't fix. And most times, I think huge cast shake-ups do more harm than good. See season nine of SG-1 for an example.

All that being said, I don't feel that Brad Wright or Rob Cooper is looking at Atlantis as the franchise's future. Not anymore. From their most recent interviews, I'm getting the impression that they're looking at the SG-1 movies as the next big outlet for the franchise, possibly along with the in-development third series. The fact that both of those guys seem to have pulled themselves completley off of Atlantis and handed it over to Joe Mallozzi and Paul Mullie (Yikes!), seems to tell me that the two big franchise guys are done with Atlantis. Also, and this is just my take, but I think both Brad and Rob were very excited about the movies. I think that's the format they've wanted to go to for a long time, probably since the end of season eight. It's more sustainable, and it still allows them to exploit the biggest hit the Stargate name is ever going to have, SG-1.

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1 View Post
            Anyone who's met me at a con knows that I am NOT a huggy person, but I have to tell you after reading Amanda's message and hearing what she had to go through during the Christmas holiday, I truly wish I could give her a hug.
            Whoa! A HUG from Kat?!?! *blinks disbelievingly* Should we check for pods? lol

How sad. I really don't know how she manages to keeps her spirits up, but I thank her from the bottom of my heart for the lovely letter she's shared with us and I hope some day she'll bottle up her secret for staying happy and sell it to me.
            I don't think it's such a big secret. Love much, laugh often, live long, right? She's got great friends and family, a fantastic head on her shoulders and great enthusiasm for life. There ya go. Pass the bottle.

geek
            (Not THAT bottle! Sheesh! )

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
            ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
              there could also be a very practical reason for Sam over Daniel on atlantis
              Spoiler:
              AT was optioned for s11/s4. MS was not signed - to my understanding - thus if they wanted him they'd have to negotiate for his time which might not be as cost effective as using AT

just pure speculation on my part
              OR...

Spoiler:

Maybe she's just the favorite.

LOL. I'm just joking, so please don't throw fruit at me or hit me with wet noodles.

If you grew up in my family that comment would have been hysterical.

I've spent my entire life dealing with a middle sister who signs everything as 'Your smartest, most witty, most intelligent, most favorite sister/daughter/granddaughter."

It's become such the norm that the other day I was speaking to my father and when I asked to speak to mom, he jokingly said 'Your most favorite daughter wants to speak to you' and my mom picked up the phone and said 'Hey Stac!' Oh well. Guess you had to be there.

As you were.

Comment

Originally posted by golfbooy View Post

Spoiler:
                Carter on Atlantis
                I think that Carter is going to wind up in command and Weir is going to be out. Amanda's most recent comment in the note on her website that she's only going to be filming four days per episode just about seals it. Typically, I think they spend seven or eight days filming each episode, so this means that Carter won't be getting as much screentime as Sheppard or Rodney. Also, and I'm not sure about this one, I think that right now Torri Higginson is working a similar schedule. She's made comments in the past about how she doesn't work as many days as the rest of the cast. So, I see this as being pretty close to confirmation that Sam will be put in charge.

Personally, I'd rather not see Sam on Atlantis. The idea of her flying a desk just like Weir has for the past three seasons just fails to get my blood pumping. Nor am I happy with the idea that she won't be on SG-1 or at the SGC. And, unlike some others, I don't think the writers have an in-story reason for bringing Sam to Atlantis. It doesn't make sense given the way that the Stargate Universe has been established. No, I'm pretty certain that it's outside factors that are responsible for Carter having such a large presence on the show next season.

Future of the Franchise
                This is the part where I disagree with Uber. I don't think that the producers are putting all of their eggs in the Atlantis basket. In fact, I think they're doing the opposite. As far as Atlantis goes, I think their is a primary goal of getting that show enough episodes for a strong syndication package. Right now they don't have enough. Eighty episodes will probably just make it, one hundred would be ideal. To that end, I think that the producers are putting Carter on Atlantis to satisfy the demands of Scifi Channel, the only viable outlet for first run episodes of Atlantis. So, in that regard, I guess I agree with Uber. I think the producers are willing to do just about anything to keep Atlantis on the air for the fourth season. Personally, I have serious doubts as to whether the show will continue longer than that. Atlantis has problems that a simple cast overhaul won't fix. And most times, I think huge cast shake-ups do more harm than good. See season nine of SG-1 for an example.

All that being said, I don't feel that Brad Wright or Rob Cooper is looking at Atlantis as the franchise's future. Not anymore. From their most recent interviews, I'm getting the impression that they're looking at the SG-1 movies as the next big outlet for the franchise, possibly along with the in-development third series. The fact that both of those guys seem to have pulled themselves completley off of Atlantis and handed it over to Joe Mallozzi and Paul Mullie (Yikes!), seems to tell me that the two big franchise guys are done with Atlantis. Also, and this is just my take, but I think both Brad and Rob were very excited about the movies. I think that's the format they've wanted to go to for a long time, probably since the end of season eight. It's more sustainable, and it still allows them to exploit the biggest hit the Stargate name is ever going to have, SG-1.
                I think we do agree though golfbooy.

Because
                Spoiler:
                I don't think they think that Atlantis will go on forever and ever thanks to there magnificent changes...but I do think that they need to make it work long enough to seal the deal for more movies and for their third series.

As for Carter leading the expedition, my hope at least is that her character will open new possibilities that weren't there before, both for her character and for the show...and while I'm not expecting "Carter-centric" episodes, I think that there's more of a chance of using her to flesh out the other characters that continue to be ignored. So here's to hoping they use her well.
                Regardless...I want to make it clear that should there be more SG-1 movies in the future, regardless of how SGA is doing, I want Sam with the team. Period.
                Spoiler:
                I just think it'd be a whoot if the show exceeded their expectations and it would be a boon for Amanda, who'd get the benefits of a regular schedule/income plus a lot of bargaining power.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek View Post
                  Whoa! A HUG from Kat?!?! *blinks disbelievingly* Should we check for pods? lol

I don't think it's such a big secret. Love much, laugh often, live long, right? She's got great friends and family, a fantastic head on her shoulders and great enthusiasm for life. There ya go. Pass the bottle.

geek
                  (Not THAT bottle! Sheesh! )
                  Darn, I knew it wouldn't be easy.

Guess I better start working on my Zygomaticus major and minor muscles.

Comment

Darn, I knew it wouldn't be easy.

Guess I better start working on my Zygomaticus major and minor muscles.
                    Way to get me to Wiki, lol!

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
                    ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan View Post
                      I think we do agree though golfbooy.

Because
                      Spoiler:
                      I don't think they think that Atlantis will go on forever and ever thanks to there magnificent changes...but I do think that they need to make it work long enough to seal the deal for more movies and for their third series.

As for Carter leading the expedition, my hope at least is that her character will open new possibilities that weren't there before, both for her character and for the show...and while I'm not expecting "Carter-centric" episodes, I think that there's more of a chance of using her to flesh out the other characters that continue to be ignored. So here's to hoping they use her well.
                      Regardless...I want to make it clear that should there be more SG-1 movies in the future, regardless of how SGA is doing, I want Sam with the team. Period.
                      Spoiler:
                      I just think it'd be a whoot if the show exceeded their expectations and it would be a boon for Amanda, who'd get the benefits of a regular schedule/income plus a lot of bargaining power.
                      Spoiler:
                      OK, we agree then. Actually, I do expect some Carter-centric episodes next year. Out of fourteen episodes, I'd expect at least four to be so. I'm going to be rather displeased if that's not the case.

Comment

Spoiler:
                        OK, we agree then. Actually, I do expect some Carter-centric episodes next year. Out of fourteen episodes, I'd expect at least four to be so. I'm going to be rather displeased if that's not the case.
                        I love your mind and I'd be thrilled. Please make it so.

Frankly since they're not splitting their attention anymore between 40 eps per series, I'm expecting higher quality shows and a real solid blending of plot and character development.

So...how naive am I???

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

SGA
                          Spoiler:
                          How can Sam lead Atlantis, when apparently she's still with SG-1 and fighting the Ori(movies). I doubt they'll let her run off to the Pegasus galaxy when she is so valuable to the Ori fight. Especially given what she learned how to do in TRNT-conceal the entire planet. Sam's got a lot of knowledge they might not want to let go of-that they'd be foolish to. And I just don't like the idea of Sam behind a desk. They did say she was coming in a ship-so I am hoping she is a ship commander. Still, that takes her away from Earth for long periods of time as well. So I'm still .

Comment

Anyone who's met me at a con knows that I am NOT a huggy person, but I have to tell you after reading Amanda's message and hearing what she had to go through during the Christmas holiday, I truly wish I could give her a hug. How sad. I really don't know how she manages to keeps her spirits up, but I thank her from the bottom of my heart for the lovely letter she's shared with us and I hope some day she'll bottle up her secret for staying happy and sell it to me.

If I weren't a huge fan already, I definitely would be now.
                            Kat
                            i agree about wanting to hug amanda. (((amanda)))

the part of amanda's message that bothered me (besides her losing some loved ones ) was this:

"I am also aware that some people are not thrilled with the idea. I can only say that I think it will be a nice fit. I know Atlantis is not my show and I intend to tread lightly on their boards. I have a huge amount of respect for the cast and crew and hope that I will add to the show and not take away from anyone."

(((amanda)))

sally
                            sally

sigpic

Comment

More information about Sam going to Atlantis per Joe's "hot off the presses" blog entry:
                              Spoiler:
                              Stillhere writes: “In an update to her website, www.amandatapping.com, Amanda Tapping has revealed that it was you and Paul who came up with the idea of Sam Carter going to Alantis and approached her about it. Would you mind elaborating on how this concept came to be something you wanted to pursue as showrunners? Maybe a bit of insight into envisioning Carter in the Atlantis series?

Answer: To be fair, having Carter cross over to Atlantis was something we’ve wanted to do for a while but, for various reasons, were never able to achieve. It was an idea that had been floating around for a while because the character would make a great addition to Atlantis. She has a pre-established relationship (not to mention chemistry) with her old buddy McKay, a military background that will allow her to support Sheppard and the team if the need ever arises, a science background that will allow her to add her expertise to what has hitherto been a strictly McKay/Zelenka domain, and knowledge of, not to mention personal experiencing dealing with, both the replicators and the Ancients.
                              Okay. As excited as I was before, I'm even more excited now.

And HEY! He even answered my question about how outside forces influence the creative process:
                              UberSG-1Fan also writes: “How much interference does the creative process receive from outside influences?”

Answer: No t.v. show is produced in a creative vacuum. That said, certain shows are more heavily-influenced by outside forces than others. Stargate has been fortunate in that it had already proven itself when it made the move from Showtime. Robert have always been permitted to make their own creative decisions and since the show’s inception, the buck has ultimately stopped with them. With season four of Atlantis, the buck will now stop with Paul and I (so if you have any complaints, please direct all correspondence to Paul who sets aside two hours every day to personally read fan mail). That said, SciFi does pay for the product and, thus, does weigh in on everything from script and cut notes to big issue decisions such as casting. MGM, meanwhile, has been nothing but fully, one hundred percent supportive of both shows and their creative teams.

Comment

Spoiler:
                                Carter on Atlantis

Future of the Franchise

Thank you for sharing your thoughts, you brought up a couple of things I hadn't thought about.

Spoiler:
                                I hadn't thought about Torri's shorter work schedule and it's implications.
                                Like I said before I don't want Sam to be put in Weir's position if they don't address the existing problems with the show. When I first heard about Sam going to Atlantis (way back before SG-1 got cancelled) I was really against it because I saw it as a way to sideline her so the boys could play with their "new toys". I guess my problem is that while I can see big potential for Sam in Atlantis I really don't trust TPTB to make a go of it.

*goes off to ponder a few things*
                                -

Comment

Working...
                                X