Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan

So I'm going to force myself to watch the first few episodes of Season 9 so I'm not completely lost when Sam returns...but it'll be tough.

They know they REALLY have to deliver or the franchise itself is at risk...so I'm resting on this fact alone and believing that Sam's absence is due to something REALLY cool that we're all going to love - something that proves how incredibly invaluable she is to the SGC and to the series.
    Yes, me too. I'll watch the first few episodes so I know what's going on. And I am keeping an open mind as well---just a little irritated at how little we know about Sam right now. Here's to hoping they do something really cool!!

Lover your pics of Sam! Fabulous!

They should have slipped in a scene with Sam and Cassie in Prometheus Unbound, say even going to dinner---that would have improved this episode leaps and bounds for me. I just don't like messages with violence and sexual innuendo mixed together (although, I know, it was meant to be humorous).

Comment

Originally posted by sg-1fanintn
      Ok.....let me put my media relations thinking cap on. Remember that the idea is to always show your best face, and hype to build interest. The worst movies often have the best trailers. They do well the first weekend; then, word of mouth and actual viewer reaction shoot them down.

So.....if I were running scared because I lost my male lead and my female lead was going to miss the first six episodes of the new season, I would:

1. Try to shore up the cast with favorite actors from the same genre;
      2. Pander to the easiest-to-retain demographic (18-25-year-old males) by selling with sex;
      3. Talk at every opportunity I could about how great the new season was going to be and
      4. Keep the dedicated fan base guessing about the fate of the beloved (and missing) characters.

By golly, that's some media plan! I could make that work!!! I think that's what they're doing!

Yes, perfect! You've summed it up well!! Ahhhhhhhhhh.

Okay, I'm just going to have to be patient for awhile, and live through all this media hype.

Comment

Originally posted by chocdoc
        Yes, perfect! You've summed it up well!! Ahhhhhhhhhh.

Okay, I'm just going to have to be patient for awhile, and live through all this media hype.
        I kinda remember the same hype about how wonderful Season 6 was going to be...how great it was going to be to take the show in a fresh new direction with a new team member...

And while there were a couple good episodes in Season 6, it was not my fav.

So that's what scares me now...lots and LOTS of hype.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Ok.....let me put my media relations thinking cap on. Remember that the idea is to always show your best face, and hype to build interest. The worst movies often have the best trailers. They do well the first weekend; then, word of mouth and actual viewer reaction shoot them down.

So.....if I were running scared because I lost my male lead and my female lead was going to miss the first six episodes of the new season, I would:

2. Pander to the easiest-to-retain demographic (18-25-year-old males) by selling with sex;
          3. Talk at every opportunity I could about how great the new season was going to be and
          4. Keep the dedicated fan base guessing about the fate of the beloved (and missing) characters.

By golly, that's some media plan! I could make that work!!! I think that's what they're doing!
          Good to have this perspective from someone in the know.

Hugs,
          Strix

My LJ

Comment

my thought on reading about TG at AT's house is that we will eventually see an article about AT and her rejoining the show and about her time off and about the new baby and maybe even get a pic of the baby out of it.

Comment

I think that's a lot of what they're doing. the show is drastically changing. some will like it, some won't. but tptb don't really care in one way, they jsut wanna entice as many as possible to tune in and rack up those ratings

there is also the philosophy that, no matter how much you think it might suck, you do NOT say that it sucks. it's great. it's grand, it's super, it's the best ever

and if you repeat it enough times you start to believe it

Personally, i'm one of those that did laugh at PU. It was fun to watch daniel get the stuffins beat out of him and it was even funnier to watch him so desperately try to immitate john crichton

it's just.....it's not stargate. PU was a fanboy written pandering to the young males with sex, innuendo and slapstick

entertaining? sure. folks have been watching the three stooges for years. but a consistent diet of it???? no thanks. It'd be like nothing but clip shows each week, or citizen joe and wormhole extreme weekly

maybe MS likes that kind of entertainment. i don't know. I don't know the guy but he would fit the demographic of the young male

I like my entertainment to be a bit smarter adn more intelligent than boobs and slapstick

That's one reason i like sam's character. she can have fun without debasing herself. she can be smart without being snotty and uppity

does it surprise me that he likes the new direction of the show?
              no. because
              a) he's gonna say it's great no matter what
              b) who would complain if they know that they're gonna get focus on their character?
              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                I think that's a lot of what they're doing. the show is drastically changing. some will like it, some won't. but tptb don't really care in one way, they jsut wanna entice as many as possible to tune in and rack up those ratings

there is also the philosophy that, no matter how much you think it might suck, you do NOT say that it sucks. it's great. it's grand, it's super, it's the best ever

and if you repeat it enough times you start to believe it

Personally, i'm one of those that did laugh at PU. It was fun to watch daniel get the stuffins beat out of him and it was even funnier to watch him so desperately try to immitate john crichton

it's just.....it's not stargate. PU was a fanboy written pandering to the young males with sex, innuendo and slapstick

entertaining? sure. folks have been watching the three stooges for years. but a consistent diet of it???? no thanks. It'd be like nothing but clip shows each week, or citizen joe and wormhole extreme weekly

maybe MS likes that kind of entertainment. i don't know. I don't know the guy but he would fit the demographic of the young male

I like my entertainment to be a bit smarter adn more intelligent than boobs and slapstick

That's one reason i like sam's character. she can have fun without debasing herself. she can be smart without being snotty and uppity

does it surprise me that he likes the new direction of the show?
                no. because
                a) he's gonna say it's great no matter what
                b) who would complain if they know that they're gonna get focus on their character?
                It kind of makes me think of "The Other Side"...here was a race of people that was willing to give them EVERYTHING they wanted. But Daniel raised the question and Sam, although slow at first to admit it, finally realized he was on to something; and that was that they'd get everything they wanted but...AT WHAT COST?

So, SG-1 continues on and dumbs down the show with no Sam and leather clad babes. The ratings increase in the 18 - 30 male demographic, but AT WHAT COST? Because, at that point, Stargate SG-1 will lose a tiny piece of that integrity, that "something" that makes it stand out from the rest of the scifi genre.

And it's a slippery slope from there...

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

I just don't get how AT was snubbed like this.

She had some STELLAR performances in Season 8, with the whole comedy routine in Moebius to the serious moments of losing her father to the "taken over by Anubis" scenes in Lockdown to the Replicarter/Sam face-off: Round One. And I didn't even mention her scenes opposite Fifth!

How on earth did they overlook such a brilliant actress?

Wasn't she nominated for a Leo for Best Actress in Threads??
                  I actually think she deserved it more for Moebius but in most cases Drama always wins out over comedy. In any case, all her performances are stellar so I hope she wins regardless of what episode it is for.

Kat

Comment

Originally posted by SamFan31
                    He’s taking about the new season and new cast members.
                    and… "I hope we get the chance to reprise the dynamic we found in 'Prometheus Unbound,' which was my favorite episode of the last couple of years. We had such a good time working with each other ... And when I watched it, I actually found myself laughing out loud!".
                    This is my take on MS, and everyone else who seems to be "gushing" right now about S9, - they know things are going to be rough with the changes and with the new direction (and they realize that a lot of fans have been complaining about the direction of the show and the way some of the characters have been written out of chracter for the last season or so) and they are very nervous. They will say anything to at least give the appearance of everyone being one big happy family. My guess is that they have all been read the riot act to play nice even if it is not all good and to say as many positive, happy things as possible to anyone that will listen.

Little do they realize that they can play this game only so much, with everyone and anyone all gooey and happy and sugar-coated it starts to sound ridiculous and phoney (at least that is how it is starting to sound
                    to me - it's the old "me thinks thou dost protest too much" kind of
                    thing). Little do they realize (such as MS' comment) that when they
                    say things that are forced they often come out sounding stupid and/or
                    offensive (in this case to fans of RDA and perhaps even to RDA himself).

I really am kind of disappointed in MS that he names PU as his favorite ep of SG1 in the past several years - he seriously could not come up with something better than that after 8 years of being with a team who made some excellent sci-fi eps for 6 1/2 years. That, to me, is just sad and it also sounds kind of phoney with it being part of the media hype for the new cast changes (he names as his favorite the only one with CB and none of the rest of the main cast he has been with for 8 years . . . just doesn't ring true to me at this point).
                    Last edited by binkpmmc; 27 April 2005, 05:51 PM.

Comment

You're right on the sugar-coating! But a publicist probably put that piece together. From my earlier post above:

Comment

Originally posted by binkpmmc
                        This is my take on MS, and everyone else who seems to be "gushing" right now about S9, - they know things are going to be rough with the changes and with the new direction (and they realize that a lot of fans have been complaining about the direction of the show and the way some of the characters have been written out of chracter for the last season or so) and they are very nervous. They will say anything to at least give the appearance of everyone being one big happy family. My guess is that they have all been read the riot act to play nice even if it is not all good and to say as many positive, happy things as possible to anyone that will listen.

Little do they realize that they can play this game only so much, with everyone and anyone all gooey and happy and sugar-coated it starts to sound ridiculous and phoney (at least that is how it is starting to sound

I really am kind of disappointed in MS that he names PU as his favorite ep of SG1 in the past several years - he seriously could not come up with something better than that after 8 years of being with a team who made some excellent sci-fi eps for 6 1/2 years. That, to me, is just sad and it also sounds kind of phoney with it being part of the media hype for the new cast changes (he names as his favorite the only one with CB and none of the rest of the main cast he has been with for 8 years . . . just doesn't ring true to me at this point).
                        Yeah. It's his favorite and surprise, surprise...Claudia Black's in it! And what a coincidence...she's going to be in the first 5 episodes of Season 9! What dumb luck that is...

Oh and btw no Sam in PU...but it's his fav...

Alrighty then.

Comment

You're right on the sugar-coating! But a publicist probably put that piece together. From my earlier post above:
                          Interesting how Jolene Blalock had some not-so-nice things to say about the Enterprise series finale...

It's okay to say these kinds of things once the show is cancelled...

Comment

So, SG-1 continues on and dumbs down the show with no Sam and leather clad babes. The ratings increase in the 18 - 30 male demographic, but AT WHAT COST? Because, at that point, Stargate SG-1 will lose a tiny piece of that integrity, that "something" that makes it stand out from the rest of the scifi genre.
                            EXACTLY - you hit the nail on the head - it is, and IMO HAS, lost integrity already and what we have seen and heard thus far re S9 seems to be taking the integrity it has left and swishing it down the proverbial toilet - I really hope, as I have said in the past, that TPTB get their heads out of their a$$es and fix this in S9 and what we have seen and heard thus far is a far cry from what they actually put out as the final products.

Comment

Originally posted by binkpmmc

I'm interested in knowing how Amanda feels for real.

I've heard nothing about her feelings of the shows "new direction."

Comment

Yeah. It's his favorite and surprise, surprise...Claudia Black's in it! And what a coincidence...she's going to be in the first 5 episodes of Season 9! What dumb luck that is...

Oh and btw no Sam in PU...but it's his fav...

Alrighty then.
                                Yup. I'm feeling in the same sarcastic mood. And I too can't believe, like binkpmmc, that this is his favorite in the last several seasons!! Yikes!!

Comment

Working...
                                X