Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
    In my long twenty minute commute home tonight, i had an idea.

    Ok, i'm flashing back to mini's poster and how thrilled amanda was with it. And it wasn't just because it was something gorgous that a fan had made for her - no offense mini, it was a beautiful work of art and i'm jealous that AT gets to hang that master piece on her wall - it was because it was from US. as in all of us. every single person that sent in a note was part of the gift. So it truly represented this forum/list and the other lists those folks belong to, as well as representing her fans.

    It was simple and heart felt.


    http://www.amandatapping.com/Scripts/StoryStream/

    the collaborative story that Julia started adn Kamil put up on at.com as a christmas gift to amanda. WEll, it didn't make it for christmas obviously. But, for all those that want to do something for Steven...how about contributing to the story?

    Ok, before we get the obligatory 'but i can't write', you can all write. I read your posts all the time and you are all very capable of writing. ANd 1000 words isnt't that much, you don't even HAVE to do the full 1000, you can just contribute a paragraph or ten.

    Think of it, what better way to say 'we care and we're here' than to work together to create something???

    What better thing to maybe help with her pain than to make someting that's truly from the heart and has a little piece of everyone in it

    whatta ya think???
    I'm game...and wanted to play for Christmas (and saw others did too) but I had a heck of a time figuring out how to do it because I saw people here say they wrote another fork but couldn't post and I need to see what they post before I can add on right?

    Please...through a life preserver for the blonde and confused. (me)

    ...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

    Comment


      Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan View Post
      I'm game...and wanted to play for Christmas (and saw others did too) but I had a heck of a time figuring out how to do it because I saw people here say they wrote another fork but couldn't post and I need to see what they post before I can add on right?

      Please...through a life preserver for the blonde and confused. (me)
      You're blonde too? I was just over there reading and thinking the same. What if we write a part but someone beats us to it? I for one wouldn't want to chance the same happening again. Is there a buffer to prevent this?

      Comment


        Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
        In my long twenty minute commute home tonight, i had an idea.

        Ok, i'm flashing back to mini's poster and how thrilled amanda was with it. And it wasn't just because it was something gorgous that a fan had made for her - no offense mini, it was a beautiful work of art and i'm jealous that AT gets to hang that master piece on her wall - it was because it was from US. as in all of us. every single person that sent in a note was part of the gift. So it truly represented this forum/list and the other lists those folks belong to, as well as representing her fans.

        It was simple and heart felt.


        http://www.amandatapping.com/Scripts/StoryStream/

        the collaborative story that Julia started adn Kamil put up on at.com as a christmas gift to amanda. WEll, it didn't make it for christmas obviously. But, for all those that want to do something for Steven...how about contributing to the story?

        Ok, before we get the obligatory 'but i can't write', you can all write. I read your posts all the time and you are all very capable of writing. ANd 1000 words isnt't that much, you don't even HAVE to do the full 1000, you can just contribute a paragraph or ten.

        Think of it, what better way to say 'we care and we're here' than to work together to create something???

        What better thing to maybe help with her pain than to make someting that's truly from the heart and has a little piece of everyone in it

        whatta ya think???
        It's a great idea, because everyone here can add... most everyone reads fanfiction and a good number write it too. I tried last week to add a chapter right after yours, Sky, but the site wouldn't accept it. So I put it in an e-mail and also sent it as a WORD attachment to Kamil last Saturday. I guess with the holidays and everything that's happened in the past few days he hasn't been able to tack it on after your chapter yet.

        Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan View Post
        I'm game...and wanted to play for Christmas (and saw others did too) but I had a heck of a time figuring out how to do it because I saw people here say they wrote another fork but couldn't post and I need to see what they post before I can add on right?

        Please...through a life preserver for the blonde and confused. (me)
        I'd e-mailed Kamil through AT.com last Friday about the problems I'd had trying to add and he'd asked me to send it to him for posting (see above). ([email protected])

        Originally posted by SG1Poz View Post
        You're blonde too? I was just over there reading and thinking the same. What if we write a part but someone beats us to it? I for one wouldn't want to chance the same happening again. Is there a buffer to prevent this?
        Hopefully K. can look into it so we can post and keep it in one story.

        Otherwise it looks like it forks off into a million routes kind of like those "choose your own adventure" books for kids.
        Convention Pix Shore Leave ('06 to '09), AT2, AT3, & AT4 ('06, '08, & '09), and Vancouver ('07)
        My SG fanfic! ..Click Here.

        Comment


          Originally posted by ShimmeringStar View Post
          It's a great idea, because everyone here can add... most everyone reads fanfiction and a good number write it too. I tried last week to add a chapter right after yours, Sky, but the site wouldn't accept it. Put it in an e-mail and also sent it as a WORD attachment to Kamil last Saturday. I guess with the holidays and everything that's happened in the past few days he hasn't been able to tack it on after your chapter yet.

          I'd e-mailed Kamil through AT.com about the problems I'd had trying to add and he'd asked me to send it to him for posting. ([email protected])

          Hopefully K. can look into it so we can post and keep it in one story.

          Otherwise it looks like it forks off into a million routes kind of like those "choose your own adventure" books for kids.
          So now it would be better to await your part of the fork before adding but as in any round robin, and that's essentialy what this is, there's always the chance of someone doubling up with the same take-off. Is there anyway someone can call dibbs on the next part/fork beforehand?

          Comment


            Originally posted by SG1Poz View Post
            So now it would be better to await your part of the fork before adding but as in any round robin, and that's essentialy what this is, there's always the chance of someone doubling up with the same take-off. Is there anyway someone can call dibbs on the next part/fork beforehand?
            Yes, and no. Yes, everyone could take numbers, but no, because if we want the story to be cohesive and flow fairly well on from Julia's wonderful beginning, we have to be able to read the chapters before ours so we're not jumping from "Sam blows his head off..." to the next chapter starting "...and she walks merrily down the aisle with Jack... " because we didn't know what the person before us had wrote...
            Convention Pix Shore Leave ('06 to '09), AT2, AT3, & AT4 ('06, '08, & '09), and Vancouver ('07)
            My SG fanfic! ..Click Here.

            Comment


              Originally posted by ShimmeringStar View Post
              Yes, and no. Yes, everyone could take numbers, but no, because if we want the story to be cohesive and flow fairly well on from Julia's wonderful beginning, we have to be able to read the chapters before ours so we're not jumping from "Sam blows his head off..." to the next chapter starting "...and she walks merrily down the aisle with Jack... " because we didn't know what the person before us had wrote...
              Of course, we'd have to read the previous fork first.
              Last edited by SG1Poz; 29 December 2006, 05:18 PM.

              Comment


                Sky, forgive me... This is my last post on the subject.

                Originally posted by SG1Poz View Post
                Spaz, I've only personally met a spec of the folks around GW verses Amanda, who of course has met many. I can only speak from my heart that even the support from cyber friends, has helped me deal with this and the loss of my husband of 24 years just two years ago. I need this extra boost of strength and support to keep myself emotionally stable during these times. Do you think they make sympathy and prayer cards to make folks in the same predicament sad? No, they are to reflect ones feelings of sorrow and support for the person they care for. I feel for Amanda not only due to the timing of our recent loss but because she has proven to be a caring and empathetic person of those she hardly knows. Why shouldn't we show her the same?
                Originally posted by scifithinker
                Spaz, I see your point, but my perspective is different than yours for a couple of reasons. First of all, I don't know Maria and will probably never meet her. I have only read a handful of her posts, mostly on this thread, but I honestly cried when I read her post about her mother's death. In the past few months, I have found myself saying prayers for people I've never met about their surgeries, their jobs, their families, which is saying a lot because it's a habit I got out of quite some time ago. Although you and I met at Shore Leave, I can't say I know you, and I doubt if you remember me at all, but I would have the same reaction if you made the same kind of post. (I hope you don't ever have to.) I also don't doubt that people here would be supportive of me.

                Secondly, Amanda has reached out to her fans. She's posted reactions to 9/11 and the tsunami and told us about her pregnancies and her daughter's birth. Not only has she been supportive in her public comments to her fans, she's made comments about how she finds us supportive. She has also said that she's lurked here at times because the positive feedback Samanda gives her is comforting. To me, that's enough to make her a member of this community.

                I've found Amanda's responses to her fans refreshing, and I have a great deal of respect for her as both an artist and as a human being. I truly do not wish to do anything that could be construed as intrusive or disrespectful, which is why I thought long and hard before I posted anything about her brother's death here. I don't think, however, that our silence is supportive.

                Thank you for responding so thoughtfully to my post.
                First, I want to say I totally understand where you're coming from Poz. And I don't doubt the motives behind expressing our concern for AT. It's done out of love and respect and genuine care for her welfare. I guess I'm just trying to say that I consider you, scifithinker and other posters here to be friends because I've spoken with you in some capacity, and if I haven't spoken with someone here in some capacity, I've had quasi-direct contact with that person through association with GW.

                But it's different with Amanda... I totally respect her and admire her, and I was completely devastated when I heard the news about her brother. I still can't believe it, to be honest, because I can't imagine going through that kind of loss. That said, I'm not her friend, and she's not mine. That's the difference I suppose I see between a relationship with a community of fellow posters and a relationship between a fan and an actor. The two relationships will always be wholly different in my mind, I guess.

                And scifithinker, I know what you mean as well. It's that very care and concern for each other that's like second nature for many of us. It compels us to say something to AT, even if she may never see it. I don't think it shows a lack of support by being silent OR by expressing condolences on the forum. I'm glad that people are willing and able to express their opinion however they choose.

                I do, however, resent (like everyone else here, I guess) the way the news came out. The moments you mentioned where AT reached out to fans and told personal stories were demonstrations of her character and of her trust in the fans. She laid herself bare and showed vulnerability in public. She can never take it back. And it was always on her terms.

                The news of her brother, however, evidently came out without her consent. Based on her post on her website, it looks like she received so many questions about it (likely from fans, no less) that she had to make an official statement about it during her time of grief.

                I'd like to be able to say that my annoyance with that fact, being a rather private person myself, hasn't crossed over to how I feel about talking about it in general on a public forum. But I wouldn't be completely honest if I said it hasn't a little. My knee-jerk reaction to it, tbh, was that we were perpetuating the discussion of her private matters.

                I just wanted to clarify that I have absolutely nothing wrong with expressing condolences for Amanda Tapping and her family. If that display of support brings her even a modicum of peace, then it's all worth it.
                Last edited by the dancer of spaz; 29 December 2006, 06:22 PM. Reason: prepositional error...?

                Comment


                  Yes, what a great idea to continue that story! ShimmeringStar, could you please resend it to me? For some reason, I never got your part in my email. Not sure why. The [email protected] sure works, I receive lots of emails on it daily.

                  It's not that I haven't acted on it, I just never received it.

                  Also, I will change the title of the story, so it's more obvious to you that that's the story.

                  Thanks for contributing to this.
                  Kamil
                  sigpic

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by kamjul View Post
                    Yes, what a great idea to continue that story! ShimmeringStar, could you please resend it to me? For some reason, I never got your part in my email. Not sure why. The [email protected] sure works, I receive lots of emails on it daily.

                    It's not that I haven't acted on it, I just never received it.

                    Also, I will change the title of the story, so it's more obvious to you that that's the story.

                    Thanks for contributing to this.
                    Kamil
                    Excellent.

                    We wait with bated breath to see what we can add...or rather stick a fork into.

                    [groans at bad pun]

                    ...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

                    Comment


                      how about this....some slight organization. Since kamil pops his head in here, he can help keep us up to date.

                      he'll put up SS's chapter. Then the next person that wants to write calls dibs. they do thier thing, e-mails it to kamil, tells us that it's been e-mailed. then the next person calls dibs, etc, etc, etc.

                      the only snafu that can come up is if someone outside this site decides to join in, but given the holidays and that no one else has, i don't think that's too much of a chance.

                      we'll organize ourselves and take turns calling dibs and the like and see if we can get this done, oh maybe by the end of january for a valentine's gift?????

                      I'm not officially setting a deadline, cause that's not my place, i'm just putting forth a suggestion.

                      as soon as SS's fork is up, she or kamil can let us know, someone else can call dibs on the next one and we'll go from there

                      How's that strike y'all???
                      Where in the World is George Hammond?


                      sigpic

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                        how about this....some slight organization. Since kamil pops his head in here, he can help keep us up to date.

                        he'll put up SS's chapter. Then the next person that wants to write calls dibs. they do thier thing, e-mails it to kamil, tells us that it's been e-mailed. then the next person calls dibs, etc, etc, etc.

                        the only snafu that can come up is if someone outside this site decides to join in, but given the holidays and that no one else has, i don't think that's too much of a chance.

                        we'll organize ourselves and take turns calling dibs and the like and see if we can get this done, oh maybe by the end of january for a valentine's gift?????

                        I'm not officially setting a deadline, cause that's not my place, i'm just putting forth a suggestion.

                        as soon as SS's fork is up, she or kamil can let us know, someone else can call dibs on the next one and we'll go from there

                        How's that strike y'all???
                        Consider us stricken.


                        ...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

                        Comment


                          i'll break out the Noodle Of Doom if i have to
                          Where in the World is George Hammond?


                          sigpic

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan View Post
                            Consider us stricken.

                            Yes very stricken, no need for the Noodle of Doom
                            sigpic

                            my fanfic

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by the dancer of spaz View Post
                              I don't exactly know where I stand on this. I don't think that anyone who expresses their condolences is wrong. However, for as long as I've been a fan of Stargate, it seems that AT has been relatively private about her family. And I can totally understand why. She has many, many fans who care about her and what goes on in her life, but that doesn't necessarily mean that she wants that to spill over into the lives of her loved ones.

                              I've met Poz in person, and she's been able to let us know how she's doing on the thread because of our community, which is so great. I have no problems with expressing my condolences to Poz, someone whom I really do know personally.

                              On the flip side, I don't really see Amanda Tapping as a member of our community. She's the reason why we've all come together and met each other on this forum, but very few of us here really know her personally like we do Poz.

                              That doesn't mean I think people shouldn't say what's on their mind about what's going on in AT's life, but I honestly don't think we can compare our closeness to a forum member to our admiration of AT.
                              and adding onto that...

                              i think part of our condolences to someone is so 'we' feel like we're doing something for that person. it's just words, but sometimes it's all someone can do to contribute. that's why i said my words of sympathy to amanda on the first day. i highly doubt she'll be here to read it, but it made me feel like i was doing something, even if it was just a mental vibe of love sent amanda's way.

                              but it is a hard line to know where to end.





                              sally
                              sally

                              sigpic

                              Comment



                                Yes it looks like we are facing another case involving the Noodle of Doom
                                Last edited by Mandysg1; 29 December 2006, 07:47 PM.
                                sigpic

                                my fanfic

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X