• Show
Clear All

*puts her drink down and waits patiently for the story*
    Neep, NZBG, Eileen!

Made with love and chocolate brownies by Spacegirlnz

Pooh-Bah/Ko-Ko FTW!

Comment

Originally posted by becky_preen View Post
      If its the story she told at AT2 or the event then go ahead... not that I can think of another story there would be

Becks

Thanks!... So she made those paintings while pregnant with Olivia
      Sig pic courtesy of AmberMoon
      ............oo0oo............

Comment

Cool! Thanks for sharing
        Neep, NZBG, Eileen!

Made with love and chocolate brownies by Spacegirlnz

Pooh-Bah/Ko-Ko FTW!

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia View Post
          You do know that the answer to life, the universe, and everything is 42, don't you?

Two months away for me...
          Been there, done that, got the t-shirt.

I'm 43 coming up on 44. 42 was a great year. So was 40 and 41. For some reason, hitting my 40's was freeing. It was like a new lease on life, a ticket to do what I wanted to do and not what everyone else expected me to do. I have to say I'm loving it.
          sigpic

Comment

Food for thought or discussion.....

Am finishing up one of my thrift store book section finds ("Future Perfect: How Star Trek Conquered Planet Earth" c1998 by Jeff Greenwald) and later in the book the writer interviewed Kate Mulgrew. He had some wonderful insights that seem to parallel a lot of what's been discussed here in the past....

The world may be ready for a female starship captain, but the concept is still wobbly. Star Trek writers - mainly a bunch of guys in their thirties - haven't figured out how to make the character breathe.

Interesting point. That was written over 8 years ago when ST:V was still in production. Kinda deja vu, that it describes the SG writers (IMOHO). Less able to write for a lead female character (Sam), definitely less able to do so for one who was middle-aged for most of the series...

An earlier part of the interview Kate spoke about what the ST PTB thought was their demographic...

" "I guess that's why Paramount brought in a Borg babe with big tits. They're looking for something that will sell the show to their assumed audience: boys between the ages of eighteen and thirty." " Then she asked rhetorically why if they were aiming for that demographic, that they'd brought in a middle-aged female captain for that series.... stating "They have to understand that it's adult women and men who find this captain appealing. And girls, all over the world.

As for young boys, between eighteen and thirty-" her voice tightens with conviction. "They want a good story more than anybody else. They need the mythology more than any other faction or demographic group. They don't need any more tits and ass than they already see in every hour of their day. Mulgrew shakes her head. "Maybe I'm wrong. I hope I'm not wrong." "

LOL! And looking at what many here have posted of their ages (*raises hand* 40 here, 41 in two months) and of those I've met personally at cons... I think even this PTB (just like the ST PTB) is missing the point that there is a strong female contingent, and an even stronger middle aged one (thirty-something to fiftysomethings...). Sam embodies a lot more for a lot more people than just T&A...

As far as what I'd want to see for Sam at the end of the series, majorsal... since unfortunately I'm she-of-little-faith these days when it comes to the corporate PTB and the writing PTB.... a happy and fufilled Sam, both in her professional and personal lives. More "meaty" storylines... if they were able by the middle of S10 to offer a more serious (and palatable) Mitchell, then they can do juicier arcs for Sam.

'Course I know the movies to come require cliffhangers to attract audiences... so.... who knows where Sam's character will go. But the best we can hope for is that she'll still be along for the ride.

But if the sky universe were the limit... Sam leading a team, preferably SG-1. Even though the series has done very well to incorporate science in there (and having Sam's character be the one to bring it), I'd like to see her as the unequivocal team commander... no co-command. It would give viewers/fans the mix of action/science/good story arcs, etc. that they want with the twist of thrusting a character they were already very familiar with into new situations. (*coughs* like where many of us had assumed in S8 that S9/S10 were going to go.....)

Given this character's age and interests, it'd be icing on her command career track to have 4 or 5 years of intense field command under her belt before she continued up the career ladder (at which time she could still jump over the science if she wanted). And it'd still give writers time to explore (with a lot more sensitivity than they have) her worries about how do you have a romantic relationship in that position? Would you at all given the stresses and double standards of the military and society? Would she be capable of it, in a command position, given her checkered romantic past? What about that biological clock? Would it be fulfilling enough to be the adult Cassie's 'surrogate' mom?

*grins* Well..... I haven't written much for a while, but just wrote an essay it seems like! Have to run out and do the errands... maybe buy a gift or two, definitely gift cards, but can't wait to get back and see what everyone else's thoughts are...

(((All)))
            Convention Pix Shore Leave ('06 to '09), AT2, AT3, & AT4 ('06, '08, & '09), and Vancouver ('07)
            My SG fanfic! ..Click Here.

Comment

Originally posted by ShimmeringStar View Post

Am finishing up one of my thrift store book section finds ("Future Perfect: How Star Trek Conquered Planet Earth" c1998 by Jeff Greenwald) and later in the book the writer interviewed Kate Mulgrew. He had some wonderful insights that seem to parallel a lot of what's been discussed here in the past....

The world may be ready for a female starship captain, but the concept is still wobbly. Star Trek writers - mainly a bunch of guys in their thirties - haven't figured out how to make the character breathe.

Interesting point. That was written over 8 years ago when ST:V was still in production. Kinda deja vu, that it describes the SG writers (IMOHO). Less able to write for a lead female character (Sam), definitely less able to do so for one who was middle-aged for most of the series...

An earlier part of the interview Kate spoke about what the ST PTB thought was their demographic...

" "I guess that's why Paramount brought in a Borg babe with big tits. They're looking for something that will sell the show to their assumed audience: boys between the ages of eighteen and thirty." " Then she asked rhetorically why if they were aiming for that demographic, that they'd brought in a middle-aged female captain for that series.... stating "They have to understand that it's adult women and men who find this captain appealing. And girls, all over the world.

As for young boys, between eighteen and thirty-" her voice tightens with conviction. "They want a good story more than anybody else. They need the mythology more than any other faction or demographic group. They don't need any more tits and ass than they already see in every hour of their day. Mulgrew shakes her head. "Maybe I'm wrong. I hope I'm not wrong." "

LOL! And looking at what many here have posted of their ages (*raises hand* 40 here, 41 in two months) and of those I've met personally at cons... I think even this PTB (just like the ST PTB) is missing the point that there is a strong female contingent, and an even stronger middle aged one (thirty-something to fiftysomethings...). Sam embodies a lot more for a lot more people than just T&A...

As far as what I'd want to see for Sam at the end of the series, majorsal... since unfortunately I'm she-of-little-faith these days when it comes to the corporate PTB and the writing PTB.... a happy and fufilled Sam, both in her professional and personal lives. More "meaty" storylines... if they were able by the middle of S10 to offer a more serious (and palatable) Mitchell, then they can do juicier arcs for Sam.

'Course I know the movies to come require cliffhangers to attract audiences... so.... who knows where Sam's character will go. But the best we can hope for is that she'll still be along for the ride.

But if the sky universe were the limit... Sam leading a team, preferably SG-1. Even though the series has done very well to incorporate science in there (and having Sam's character be the one to bring it), I'd like to see her as the unequivocal team commander... no co-command. It would give viewers/fans the mix of action/science/good story arcs, etc. that they want with the twist of thrusting a character they were already very familiar with into new situations. (*coughs* like where many of us had assumed in S8 that S9/S10 were going to go.....)

Given this character's age and interests, it'd be icing on her command career track to have 4 or 5 years of intense field command under her belt before she continued up the career ladder (at which time she could still jump over the science if she wanted). And it'd still give writers time to explore (with a lot more sensitivity than they have) her worries about how do you have a romantic relationship in that position? Would you at all given the stresses and double standards of the military and society? Would she be capable of it, in a command position, given her checkered romantic past? What about that biological clock? Would it be fulfilling enough to be the adult Cassie's 'surrogate' mom?

*grins* Well..... I haven't written much for a while, but just wrote an essay it seems like! Have to run out and do the errands... maybe buy a gift or two, definitely gift cards, but can't wait to get back and see what everyone else's thoughts are...

(((All)))
              Hi ShimmeringStar,

I love your post, what you said is so right, TPTB could have done so much more with "Sam" than they chose too. It would have been good to watch "Sam" balance work(command) and finally get a home life(with "Jack", "Cassie" and maybe a baby) but thats my shipper brain talking again LOL.

Amanda would have played that so well, its a shame TPTB didn't see it that the chracter of "Sam" could do so much more IMHO.

Julia(samcarterrules)
              sigpic
              Thanks to Ambermoon for the wonderful Avatar Sig by: Me

Comment

Originally posted by KatG View Post
                Been there, done that, got the t-shirt.

I'm 43 coming up on 44. 42 was a great year. So was 40 and 41. For some reason, hitting my 40's was freeing. It was like a new lease on life, a ticket to do what I wanted to do and not what everyone else expected me to do. I have to say I'm loving it.
                Heck! 40s are awesome. I was very disturbed turning 30. My boss at the time wrote me this long poem in support, and another old boss of mine assured me that the 30s had been her favorite decade. They were both right. I loved the 30s-I was so much more in control of myself, my actions, my life than I had ever been before.

It's even better in the 40s. I turned 41 in October. And I'm just so much more comfortable in my own skin than I ever have been before.

Hey! Less than a year till I'm at Kat's magical age of 42-I'll let you know if it really is the secret to life, the universe, and everything.

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan View Post
                  I'd love to see Amanda play a female "Sam Beckett." Or a female "Indiana Jones" type...like Lara Croft.
                  Anything adventerous...as long as she's packing heat, I'm so there.
                  Okay, I'm there anyway but seeing her carrying weapons is so cool.

And let her snark! Let her character be more open and snarky and less reserved than Carter.
                  More snark and more adventure! I agree!

Placed quotes in spoilers for space...

Spoiler:
                  Originally posted by majorsal View Post
                  while i'm VERY excited about seeing amanda do a different role, i'm not done with sam carter yet... but i think rob is.

i have certain desires of where i'd like sam to go in her life; i'm going to share them.

as much as i think sam loves the military side of herself, i think she ADORES the science. i think it's a part of her soul. so i'd like to see sam focus on that part, letting mitchell keep the team to himself.

i wouldn't mind sam transferring back to area 51, OR having a type of place like that at cheyenne mountain. she'd lead the team of scientists.

sam marries and has children with jack. jack retires and becomes a house hubby, which i think he'd LOVE.

years go by and sam becomes a general, but still stays focused on the science coming through the gate.

sam gets an award for excellence in science for a wonderful discovery (a cure for cancer using nanites or something).

she lives a long and happy life with jack and their children. and grandchildren.

if the series actually showed sam through the years, i DON'T want to see her death. none of that sad stuff.

these are the wishes i have for sam carter. what are yours?
                  sally
                  Originally posted by Gate gal View Post
                  My Sam Carter Wish List:

1) I want her to be a full bird and I want her to be in command of something big by the end of the second movie.

2) I want a happy ending for Sam and Jack (by ending, I actually mean beginning ).

3) I think I would like for her to run the SGC someday (maybe a decade from now), and I'd love for her to be in charge when it goes public. She has the right face for it--scientist and military and who could resist that lovely smile. People would trust her.

4) Eventually, she can be president with Jack as her first man.

Great posts, made me think…

Tis' the season for wish lists! Here are my Sam wishlists..

Imagine the gate goes public and the military continues to promote Sam but not give her real leadership...

What if Sam quit the military, went into the private sector and started her own corporation? A company that specialized in applying offworld discoveries to biomedical, technological/ science/ space, and military problems. Not the evil NID version the altruistic version.

Sam is a genius, her heart is in the right place, and she has 10 years of kick *** off world field and scientific experience. I agree with the above posts and think she likes both the lab and the field – she could do both since her corporation would have its own stargate, of course. Plenty of opportunities for weapon wielding – imagine all the attempts at corporate espionage... Sam continues to explore new worlds, she's the boss, and good comes out of it!

Sam’s company would be the hub of applying offworld discoveries to our worlds’ problems (or to other worlds problems) and eventually the galaxys' hub for beneficial applications of other-world discoveries. Like Sally mentioned, nanites and cancer, hunger, disease, etc…

For Sam’s personal life, I am a hopeless S/J shipper. I want Sam and Jack to be married, Jack retired, and possibly children. On children I only wonder how it would affect Sam going into dangerous off-world situations? How about Sam and Jack have twins and adopt a Thor baby? (Presuming the As*-Guards have finally applied their genius to figuring out how to reproduce, not just clone skin cells…) The Thor baby would have idiot savant issues of course...hehe

To tell you the truth, I will probably enjoy most of whatever comes out, I just do not want Sam pushed into the background or killed off, she needs to advance in career and/ or command. I do not want to see Hollywoods’ typical female ageism – neither Sam nor Amanda deserve that and it is not true to real life!
                  Words have tremendous power. The right words spoken by the right people at the right times can lift up communities, transform lives, mend relationships, break hearts—even topple empires.
                  Quint Studer

Comment

Originally posted by tagger View Post
                    More snark and more adventure! I agree!

Placed quotes in spoilers for space...

Spoiler:

Great posts, made me think…

Tis' the season for wish lists! Here are my Sam wishlists..

Imagine the gate goes public and the military continues to promote Sam but not give her real leadership...

What if Sam quit the military, went into the private sector and started her own corporation? A company that specialized in applying offworld discoveries to biomedical, technological/ science/ space, and military problems. Not the evil NID version the altruistic version.

Sam is a genius, her heart is in the right place, and she has 10 years of kick *** off world field and scientific experience. I agree with the above posts and think she likes both the lab and the field – she could do both since her corporation would have its own stargate, of course. Plenty of opportunities for weapon wielding – imagine all the attempts at corporate espionage... Sam continues to explore new worlds, she's the boss, and good comes out of it!

Sam’s company would be the hub of applying offworld discoveries to our worlds’ problems (or to other worlds problems) and eventually the galaxys' hub for beneficial applications of other-world discoveries. Like Sally mentioned, nanites and cancer, hunger, disease, etc…

For Sam’s personal life, I am a hopeless S/J shipper. I want Sam and Jack to be married, Jack retired, and possibly children. On children I only wonder how it would affect Sam going into dangerous off-world situations? How about Sam and Jack have twins and adopt a Thor baby? (Presuming the As*-Guards have finally applied their genius to figuring out how to reproduce, not just clone skin cells…) The Thor baby would have idiot savant issues of course...hehe

To tell you the truth, I will probably enjoy most of whatever comes out, I just do not want Sam pushed into the background or killed off, she needs to advance in career and/ or command. I do not want to see Hollywoods’ typical female ageism – neither Sam nor Amanda deserve that and it is not true to real life!
                    Interesting idea.... that would be cool, "Sam" in charge of something

Julia(samcarterrules)
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ShimmeringStar View Post

(((All)))
                      I love talking about stuff on this thread...

How old am I?

Mental age: Ageless
                      Humor appreciation age: Adolescent- scatological humor still abounds
                      Physical age: 30"s - work out a good bit
                      Career age: 20's - Early in a (second) career
                      Spiritual age: Child - still a lot to learn
                      Chronological age: Third anniversary of 39th

I think I read an interview - AT talking about her demographic being women of all ages and circumstances teens - 90's.

I agree the PTB are missing a RL contingent. I never really was a fan of any TV show until my daughter discovered SG. But here was a strong female lead I could relate to, then it turned out the actress behind the lead was a kind, nice person, then I surfed my way here and found the "brain trust" hehe. Just kidding, but it is fun to have conversations about these issues, since I am normally relegated to a 9 year olds topics. I appreciated SG and all the characters because it wasn't about "T&A" - smarter show, and I could safely watch it with my daughter. (Not that I don't think Orlin and Martouf are nice to look at, but thats a different thread.... )

Scifi fans run the spectrum of age and circumstance... I agree the stereotypical "young male demographic" needs and wants good female leads and good stories... TPTB are missing a huge demographic if young men are all they focus on.
                      Words have tremendous power. The right words spoken by the right people at the right times can lift up communities, transform lives, mend relationships, break hearts—even topple empires.
                      Quint Studer

Comment

Originally posted by tagger View Post
                        I love talking about stuff on this thread...

How old am I?

Mental age: Ageless
                        Humor appreciation age: Adolescent- scatological humor still abounds
                        Physical age: 30"s - work out a good bit
                        Career age: 20's - Early in a (second) career
                        Spiritual age: Child - still a lot to learn
                        Chronological age: Third anniversary of 39th

I think I read an interview - AT talking about her demographic being women of all ages and circumstances teens - 90's.

I agree the PTB are missing a RL contingent. I never really was a fan of any TV show until my daughter discovered SG. But here was a strong female lead I could relate to, then it turned out the actress behind the lead was a kind, nice person, then I surfed my way here and found the "brain trust" hehe. Just kidding, but it is fun to have conversations about these issues, since I am normally relegated to a 9 year olds topics. I appreciated SG and all the characters because it wasn't about "T&A" - smarter show, and I could safely watch it with my daughter. (Not that I don't think Orlin and Martouf are nice to look at, but thats a different thread.... )

Scifi fans run the spectrum of age and circumstance... I agree the stereotypical "young male demographic" needs and wants good female leads and good stories... TPTB are missing a huge demographic if young men are all they focus on.
                        About the age, not going there, every woman needs a little mystery
                        (and hush up to those who know it )

as for the demographics, it's funny because the shows with the high ratings, like Deperate Housewives, Grey's Anatomy, Criminal Minds and CSI , I don't see appealing to the young male demographic and more to women in their 30's and above. So why is it they only want the young males who really only want to spend their money on Playstations anyway
                        sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by SG1Poz View Post
                          Julia please tell us, unless it's a private joke, what your fear is concerning the Morris Dancers? I was sitting here giggling at those photo's wondering Thanks

It's not a private joke, but stems back to a Gabit meeting this year where in passing I casually mentioned that I have a phobia of Morris Dancers and Morris Dancing music - like some people have of Clowns, well mine is Morris Dancers. I have no idea really why, it's just my thing.

So the Staff decided to try to cure this strange phobia of mine at AT2. Imagine my surprise when I'm quietly minding the photo monitor during some photos when the music started up and they pranced in.

It was hilarious but didn't cure me sadly! I did cry with laughter when I saw them and got over the initial shock, but as you can see from the photographs I was still wary when we were having a photo done!

Julia
                          G4
                          To influence the quality of another's day. That is the essence of life.sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JuliaR View Post
                            It's not a private joke, but stems back to a Gabit meeting this year where in passing I casually mentioned that I have a phobia of Morris Dancers and Morris Dancing music - like some people have of Clowns, well mine is Morris Dancers. I have no idea really why, it's just my thing.

So the Staff decided to try to cure this strange phobia of mine at AT2. Imagine my surprise when I'm quietly minding the photo monitor during some photos when the music started up and they pranced in.

It was hilarious but didn't cure me sadly! I did cry with laughter when I saw them and got over the initial shock, but as you can see from the photographs I was still wary when we were having a photo done!

Julia
                            G4
                            oh ((((Julia)))))))

I think you did great in the photo well done in the words of Sam Carter "your very brave" I faced my fear to by coming to AT2 I had to get on the train. Who knew go a GABIT event and face your phobia lol

Julia(samcarterrules)
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post

as for the demographics, it's funny because the shows with the high ratings, like Deperate Housewives, Grey's Anatomy, Criminal Minds and CSI , I don't see appealing to the young male demographic and more to women in their 30's and above. So why is it they only want the young males who really only want to spend their money on Playstations anyway
                              i don't know if i'd put DH in 'not appealing to the T&A factor' since we have edie and gabrielle prancing around half dressed, but i do see the others.

there are strong female characters on criminal minds, and catherine is a good one on CSI, as is melinda kanakaredes on csi:ny (i stopped watching miami cause i couldn't stand caruso's ego stroking) but i see the females there more used for the sum of their tank tops than anything else. (and, to be fair, catherine wears her fair share)

there are good strong females on ER, and really good ones on grey's.

and i agree. the T&A factor may superficially appeal to the hormonal young male that so many studios seem determined to attract, but that attraction soon wanes because ever other frakking tv show out there is tossing tits and butts in thier faces and it's a boobie smorgasboard on the tv.

T&A is not unique, shows that focus on it and use it as a crutch are a dime a dozen, thus when a show turns all its appeal to the wares of its female actors, the boys usually get bored and find anotehr show and it's very easy to find another show because there is a glut of T&A out there.

but the brilliant folks at the networks just can't grasp that, while increasing the T&A might up the ratings in the short term...in the long run, it turns off more than it turns on. Every show that turns to T&A ends up dying within a year or two because they just can't do T&A AND story at the same time.
                              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post

Mandy my dear, you could announce your age and still be a mystery

It's funny knowing my 79 yr.old dad watches DH but I never have.
                                So that's a reasonable question.

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                                i don't know if i'd put DH in 'not appealing to the T&A factor' since we have edie and gabrielle prancing around half dressed, but i do see the others.

there are strong female characters on criminal minds, and catherine is a good one on CSI, as is melinda kanakaredes on csi:ny (i stopped watching miami cause i couldn't stand caruso's ego stroking) but i see the females there more used for the sum of their tank tops than anything else. (and, to be fair, catherine wears her fair share)

there are good strong females on ER, and really good ones on grey's.

and i agree. the T&A factor may superficially appeal to the hormonal young male that so many studios seem determined to attract, but that attraction soon wanes because ever other frakking tv show out there is tossing tits and butts in thier faces and it's a boobie smorgasboard on the tv.

T&A is not unique, shows that focus on it and use it as a crutch are a dime a dozen, thus when a show turns all its appeal to the wares of its female actors, the boys usually get bored and find anotehr show and it's very easy to find another show because there is a glut of T&A out there.

but the brilliant folks at the networks just can't grasp that, while increasing the T&A might up the ratings in the short term...in the long run, it turns off more than it turns on. Every show that turns to T&A ends up dying within a year or two because they just can't do T&A AND story at the same time.
                                Nice post Sky! Hence the end of Stargate, Vala style. Sorry Vala fans but 'they' abused CB's talent by turning her into the sex object in S9. IMHO.

Originally posted by JuliaR View Post

Julia
                                G4
                                LOL! I did see! LOL! You poor thing. Always picking on you Again, I have a vivid imagination (lacking in the fanfic writing department though) and am sitting here just giggling away at the photo's. If you had a vengeful bone in your body, they'd better watch out!

Comment

Working...
                                X