Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tracy Jane View Post
    Deejay, I said it to you personally, but I'll say it again, cos I'm sure others will agree on this one. You are a strong, courageous, warm-hearted, compassionate, funny and amazing woman. You might have felt this morning like giving up because the world was crashing down, but you never would because you're too strong for that. Your smile and real love for other human beings is just inspirational and great. I'm so glad you loved the card and, as I said earlier, I'm so glad it came on a day you needed it. God is good like that.

Awesome.
    Oh wow...well said TJ...ditto from all of us here in Oz...
    "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
    Hug Your Loved Ones!!
    ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
      her depth is immaterial to this conversation
      BWAHA...beat you to it!

[[curse this idiotically slow interweb connection tonight!!! ]]

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
        Ladies and Gentlemen, I believe we have just entered the Twilight Zone
        Whatcha mean 'just' entered the twilight zone...I thought we've been in it for a while now!!
        Originally posted by Agent_Dark View Post
        I would go for Sam/Jeannie too
        Well of course you would...if you didn't then I'd be worried!
        Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan View Post
        My depth is immaterial to this conversation.
        Originally posted by Deejay435 View Post
        You see?
        LOL...funny...no more beer for you two!!

Congrats Oooober and TJ on your milestones...WTG!!
        Hug Your Loved Ones!!
        ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Deejay, I said it to you personally, but I'll say it again, cos I'm sure others will agree on this one. You are a strong, courageous, warm-hearted, compassionate, funny and amazing woman. You might have felt this morning like giving up because the world was crashing down, but you never would because you're too strong for that. Your smile and real love for other human beings is just inspirational and great. I'm so glad you loved the card and, as I said earlier, I'm so glad it came on a day you needed it. God is good like that.

Awesome.
          {{{Deejay}}} Everyone there stopped a moment when we heard about your latest news. And you continued to be a part of that weekend from then on ...

So many special people who couldn't be there that weekend were actually there in spirit for so many of us ... you and Oobs and Lys and deepspace and my fairy godmother and lots of our friends from this thread. It was magical.

Samanda seems to have taken on a life of its own as Oobs has so nicely written. Sam/Amanda brought us all together and from this thread beautiful and strong friendships have formed. This positive energy continues to generate some pretty great outcomes, like your surprise package in the mail.
          I know for a fact that Amanda signed many autographs for those who couldn't be at GABIT and I think that says quite a lot about the generous and thoughtful people at this thread.

{{{Group hug!!!}}}

Comment

I love Jeannie Miller, she's great.
            Nothing wrong with Jeannie Millier, great character, I just don't want her in the sack with Sam!!! Please and thank you very much.

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
            ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Originally posted by LtColonelSamC View Post
              I can't beging to say how much I LOVE this topic
              (I don't think it's hard to tell where I stand on this...I think positions on the front lines should go to those who are most qualified, and if that's a woman, more power to her! Women are just as capable soldiers as men are.)

I think that something that has to be talked about in this topic is how female soldiers are viewed in media (news, movies, tv shows).

Also, there is an article called "The Changing Press Potrait of GI Jane," and I'll just post the quote from the end of the article (I'm pretty sure this is ok to do.
              [I]
              "Still, the issue of motherhood continues to smolder. In a November 2, 2001, Dateline NBC segment, reporter Ann Curry asks a mother of three if she has sleepless nights missing her kids during a combat tour on an aircraft carrier. "Oh, yeah," the Navy electrical technician says wistfully, "[when I] make the mistake of thinking about singing bedtime songs." Curry is not shown asking similar questions of any of fathers on board. The Newhouse piece quotes a female soldier who left a two-year old daughter behind saying, "Yesterday I took a shower and caught myself thinking about her and I just cried and cried." No forlorn fathers are quoted.
              Great post! Well written paper and comments!

I agree with many of your points.

Menstruation and menopause incapacitating women? Absurd, I’m shocked it was even brought up… Sam would be scandalized…

One of the key issues at the heart of many of the male/ female role debates is value. What value do we put on each respective role. The role of the military man on front lines is of no greater value than the woman who stays home or the role of the woman on the battlefront/ job front is no greater than the man who chooses to stay home. I want the right to do job-wise whatever I am able to do physically, intellectually, practically, etc. The value of a mother staying home with her children is as great as women fighting on the front lines, women showing up to work every day to support families, etc… Different jobs but all are important to society, the human species, the world. I guess what I want is the choice to do whatever I want.

Regarding military womens’ portrayal in the media, I’m sure more eloquent members of this thread will address it very well, as there seems to be media members here… I guess my problem with it is just the same as yours, women are portrayed unequally, as are the men. Again, that is why I like Sam's portrayal and like my daughter to see it - she is strong, but has a heart.

To tell you the truth, as a mother, a working mother, I wonder how mothers in combat do what they do. My self preservation tendencies rose precipitously when I became a mother – adrenaline junkie to adrenaline phobe in the space of one infant heartbeat. I might well be one of the mothers in a foxhole worried about my own children at home, but if I was in the foxhole, hopefully, I chose to be there, and I would do the best job I could possibly do. Perhaps I could harness my maternal angst to be a better warrior? I have actually wondered how Sam continued to endanger herself when she became Cassie’s mom (where is Cassie anyway?). I know - Cassie is college age, right?

This is all just my opinion and I’m not that emotionally attached to it, so feel free to tear it apart (just be easy on me - something that probably doesn't even need to be said here ). I’d love to hear what others think as that is what makes this thread fun and interesting.

Originally posted by JenniferJF View Post
              It's ironic that the physical argument still gets used....women always scored WAY HIGHER on the physical tests then the men because the tests were set on national standards across the population, and after having to road march with men a foot taller than me with a ruck that weighed 75% of my body weight compared to the 30% of theirs it weighed, I was in some serious good shape...

We were expected to be able to keep up and do all the same things, so that argument, really, only makes sense to politicians and academics...
              Nuff said.
              Words have tremendous power. The right words spoken by the right people at the right times can lift up communities, transform lives, mend relationships, break hearts—even topple empires.
              Quint Studer

Comment

BWAHA...beat you to it!

[[curse this idiotically slow interweb connection tonight!!! ]]
                what's spooky? i posted my part when i was on page 2882, before i read yours

we got a little too much gmta going on i think
                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Deejay435 View Post
                  Oh my God....

Sky...everyone...

I just got the package from Sky with the picture and the card. Oh God you guys-you have no idea what that meant to me. I am going to cry any second now. I'm going to frame the picture AND the card and hang them up in my computer room.

I had been having such a tough day today-a lot of pain and feeling down and like...just bad. And now I feel like fighting again. I feel stronger knowing that I've got all of you pulling for me.

I don't think I could ever properly thank you all enough. I wouldn't even know how to start.

My mother was here helping me get my christmas tree upstairs when the package arrived. She saw the message on the picture and card and has decided she's going to have to start watching SG1 now. She sends her thanks as well.

I love you all.

Denise

(((((DEEJAY)))))

I'm so glad they lifted your spirits!! They are sooo nice!! Stay strong my friend and we'll continue to pray.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                    what's spooky? i posted my part when i was on page 2882, before i read yours

we got a little too much gmta going on i think
                    I think that happens a lot on this thread
                    sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

DUDE! Leave my Thor alone!!! [[huggles Thor]]

Now...life-sized marionettes. Do I get a life-sized Jack too? And Teal'c? My oh my...this certainly has potential.

I didn't say that last part allowed...did I?
                      Only you know. Though I've heard rumors... An Oooberwich? Ya know, those two could (more than) make up for Thor's...shortcomings.

Suse
                      sigpic
                      Mourning Sanctuary.
                      Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Originally posted by LtColonelSamC View Post
                        I can't beging to say how much I LOVE this topic...(Women in the Military, that is. I'm actually doing a research project on potrayals of women in the military, featuring Jessica Lynch, Sam Carter (!!), and the movie GI Jane for my History and Ethics of Modern War Class.)
                        I couldn't give you green for it, but this was a very interesting post! Thanks for sharing it.

My LJ

Comment

Originally posted by suse View Post
                          Only you know. Though I've heard rumors... An Oooberwich? Ya know, those two could (more than) make up for Thor's...shortcomings.

Suse
                          That's just so wrong...and yet...hmm.

Okay...you might be on to something here.

Ooooberwich.

[adds word to growing Samandan dictionary]

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

((((((DEEJAY)))))) I would like to add my thoughts to what Samandans have sent to you, stay strong and if you can come and read this thread as i've never seen such an amazing group of human beings come together due to one show and through one very special lady before.

Can i now ask all Samandans to send my Mum some healing thoughts as this week i witnessed (in front of me) this well dressed "young woman" help herself to my mothers bank book with her money inside it that was her house keeping for the rest of the month. My Mum was not harmed but as she is alone now it has left her very uneasy and me very angery because this "person" had targerted her and followed my Mum up to where i work.
                            I just feel because i see it all unfold in front of me and did'nt realise what i'd seen untill it was to late, i blame myself and even worse the police are saying that this was not an opertunist thief, but one that knew what she was doing and will do it again to some other person and leave that person and their family with some really horrible feelings and not knowing how to deal with them.

Sorry for posting this but i just can't understand why this person would do this, she could have got herself a job and worked for a living, not steal from others.
                            ......TARA......

Comment

Originally posted by tara3583 View Post
                              ((((((DEEJAY)))))) I would like to add my thoughts to what Samandans have sent to you, stay strong and if you can come and read this thread as i've never seen such an amazing group of human beings come together due to one show and through one very special lady before.

Can i now ask all Samandans to send my Mum some healing thoughts as this week i witnessed (in front of me) this well dressed "young woman" help herself to my mothers bank book with her money inside it that was her house keeping for the rest of the month. My Mum was not harmed but as she is alone now it has left her very uneasy and me very angery because this "person" had targerted her and followed my Mum up to where i work.
                              I just feel because i see it all unfold in front of me and did'nt realise what i'd seen untill it was to late, i blame myself and even worse the police are saying that this was not an opertunist thief, but one that knew what she was doing and will do it again to some other person and leave that person and their family with some really horrible feelings and not knowing how to deal with them.

Sorry for posting this but i just can't understand why this person would do this, she could have got herself a job and worked for a living, not steal from others.
                              Sorry to hear about your troubles Tara...we're thinking of you and your mum and sending our best wishes...unfortunately this is something happens all too often...but you shouldn't blame yourself for what somebody else did...thankfully your mum is ok and wasn't harmed physically...the same thing happened to me some years ago when Niki was just a baby...someone took my purse and all our shopping money...the worse thing for me was all the baby photos I had in my purse at the time...all gone!

Night night Samanda...take care, be safe and be happy coz LTS...I'm off to finish the bottle of wine we opened for the first advent tonight...woohoo...I'm feeling pretty....relaxed right now!!LOL!!!
                              Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                              ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Oh! I thought it was Sam/Novak you were shuddering at.

Well, I love the idea of Sam/Jeannie. I love Jeannie Miller, she's great.
                                Originally posted by Agent_Dark View Post
                                I would go for Sam/Jeannie too
                                OMG, think of the think of the equations; the relativity; the quantum mechanics!

Originally posted by minigeek View Post
                                Nothing wrong with Jeannie Millier, great character, I just don't want her in the sack with Sam!!! Please and thank you very much.
                                Sack math. Oh boy, intelligence is so damned sexy
                                scarimor

Comment

Working...
                                X