Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gate gal View Post
    Spoiler:

On the negative end, I dread all the negative stuff SGA fans will probably spread out of their fear that Amanda will displace their own favorites. I fear what the writers will do to Sam's character, but not too much because Amanda has suffered through bad writing before and she still manages to bring it! That is talent!
    ditto
    Words have tremendous power. The right words spoken by the right people at the right times can lift up communities, transform lives, mend relationships, break hearts—even topple empires.
    Quint Studer

Comment

Okay. I have to get mushy for a second because I've read and heard so many great stories and I'm just bursting at the seams.

The reality is that we've picked the best fandom to be in. Right here.

Why?

Well first off, we have a fantastic character in Samantha Carter.

What can I say? I have a soft spot for strong female role model types who weild really big guns and blow things up while still maintaining their femininity and grace. We have that in Sam and so much more. A friend, a leader, a genius, a mother. Sam is all that and oh so much more.

Then to top it all off...we have Amanda Tapping, who simply has to be the most gracious human being on the face of this earth.

She's definitely one of the funniest, that's for certain. But as for her charm and finesse and her heart...there is no equal. I can't tell you all the stories I've heard about her. Some were announced publically so that everyone could share in her warmth and humor and others were shared to me in confidence about personal experiences that warm my heart through and through.

Minigeek wrote this and I'll echo her sentiments. I am truly proud to call myself a fan of Amanda Tapping's. In a cynical world full of angst and doubt, it's heartening to know that there's someone out there who genuinely cares about the people she meets as a result of her work. She cares about her fans...genuinely and truly. She puts up no pretenses or airs. She is who she is without apology or remorse...a mother, an actress, a friend.

Thank you Amanda for 10 years of SG-1 (plus whatever becomes of the show) and I look forward to whatever your future holds because I know that big things are in store for you.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Wonderful description of Amanda and most agreed upon Oooobs

Comment

Originally posted by RealmOfX View Post
          I just read a spoiler for Atlantis and now I'm REALLY worried about the Sam Carter character appearing in S4 Atlantis.

Now I'm going to put this in spoiler space because it not only has an Atlantis spoiler but I'm quite sure it's going to degenerate into an "anti" position.

I'm also putting this post here in Samanda because I know the subject will be treated with respect here. We have many different and varying opinions here but the common element is respect, unfortunately there's a lot of heated stuff going on out in GW threads with Sam and AT at the centre of it. So I'm playing here where I can get other viewpoints while still being respectful.

Spoiler:
          Atlantis spoiler for the end of season 3 (First Strike) / start of season 4

"...by the end of the story we're on our own. Basically, the city is alone. All of a sudden there are no more routine missions or going back and forth to Earth. We are entirely cut off, which I think bodes well for next season...".
          David Hewlett, Starburst Yearbook

So, if they're cut off from Earth (again) does this mean that so is Sam?

Great way for TPTB to not have to deal with the Sam character in the movies or new series! It's long been my opinion that TPTB are only interested in a male hero and strong female characters are a no no because they just show up how lame their "hero" really is. (See I told you it would degenerate into anti ). I really would like to hold out hope for Sam but since S7 things have not gone well for developing her character and have gotten worse with the "new improved" SG-1. Seems like a neat patsy for the [email protected] - Skiffy is pushing for an SG-1 character for Atlantis so they go "great, let's kill two birds with one stone".

OK, end of "anti" rant.

Will Atlantis be cut off from Earth permanently or just for a few episodes?? I think that is the question that needs answering before we can even begin to decide on the possible future for Sam Carter. I'm not feeling optimistic here, someone give me another viewpoint PLEASE.

I guess it all comes down to that I no longer trust TPTB. I can see the Sam Carter going to Atlantis and fitting in and the show working out great IF enough thought and planning were put into it, I just don't see it happening though on the past performance of TPTB. I still see Atlantis as a show with potential but I'm afraid they're going to approach it like they did with S9 onwards of SG-1 (IMO badly) and the show will be cancelled.

I know I ed at the thought of the MM's showrunning but to be honest that is unfair, they should be given a chance to do the job right. You never know, they might surprise us. I'm just not going to hold my breath!

What are other people's thoughts in regard to this? I really could do with a more positive spin.
          I agree with Gate Gal. All we know so far is:

Spoiler:
          That AT has been approached to be in both of the SG-1 movies. She is also obligated to appear in Atlantis for "a few" episodes. If Sam does get stranded there, which I seriously doubt, she will not be stuck there for long. In fact, I think it is more likely that she will be based on Earth or on a ship trying to reestablish contact with Atlantis. In that way, she won't step on anyone's toes in the Pegasus Galaxy and she can still be in the show. It would be sort of like what Landry or Caldwell have been doing in their guest roles on SGA for the past couple of seasons. So I'm not worried just yet.

As to some of the SGA fans - IMO many of them are jumping to conclusions based on very limited information. Having said that, they have the right to their opinions and concerns on this issue as it is an emotional one for many of them. But only time will tell if their concerns are justified.

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Jane View Post
            Sorry to take this thread OT for a minute, but I wanted to do this before I get to bed so that (hopefully) everyone will get to see it or get wind of it.

Tomorrow I am getting baptised at my church, which is going to be awesome. I was christened/baptised as a baby, but this is different as it is believer's baptism and is a conscious choice on my part to follow Jesus.

Anyway, I would really love your prayers and support as I practice giving my testimony and the rest of it, so I just thought I'd shout out and let you know.

Thank you.

Thinking of you - hope it all goes well!!

Comment

ForeverSG1 - Thanks for your Avalon report/s - Sounds like you all had a great time.

I would have loved to see Ambermoon in action at another auction - awesome eh!!

Comment

I just read a spoiler for Atlantis and now I'm REALLY worried about the Sam Carter character appearing in S4 Atlantis.

Now I'm going to put this in spoiler space because it not only has an Atlantis spoiler but I'm quite sure it's going to degenerate into an "anti" position.

I'm also putting this post here in Samanda because I know the subject will be treated with respect here. We have many different and varying opinions here but the common element is respect, unfortunately there's a lot of heated stuff going on out in GW threads with Sam and AT at the centre of it. So I'm playing here where I can get other viewpoints while still being respectful.

Spoiler:
                Atlantis spoiler for the end of season 3 (First Strike) / start of season 4

"...by the end of the story we're on our own. Basically, the city is alone. All of a sudden there are no more routine missions or going back and forth to Earth. We are entirely cut off, which I think bodes well for next season...".
                David Hewlett, Starburst Yearbook

So, if they're cut off from Earth (again) does this mean that so is Sam?

Great way for TPTB to not have to deal with the Sam character in the movies or new series! It's long been my opinion that TPTB are only interested in a male hero and strong female characters are a no no because they just show up how lame their "hero" really is. (See I told you it would degenerate into anti ). I really would like to hold out hope for Sam but since S7 things have not gone well for developing her character and have gotten worse with the "new improved" SG-1. Seems like a neat patsy for the [email protected] - Skiffy is pushing for an SG-1 character for Atlantis so they go "great, let's kill two birds with one stone".

OK, end of "anti" rant.

Will Atlantis be cut off from Earth permanently or just for a few episodes?? I think that is the question that needs answering before we can even begin to decide on the possible future for Sam Carter. I'm not feeling optimistic here, someone give me another viewpoint PLEASE.

I guess it all comes down to that I no longer trust TPTB. I can see the Sam Carter going to Atlantis and fitting in and the show working out great IF enough thought and planning were put into it, I just don't see it happening though on the past performance of TPTB. I still see Atlantis as a show with potential but I'm afraid they're going to approach it like they did with S9 onwards of SG-1 (IMO badly) and the show will be cancelled.

I know I ed at the thought of the MM's showrunning but to be honest that is unfair, they should be given a chance to do the job right. You never know, they might surprise us. I'm just not going to hold my breath!

What are other people's thoughts in regard to this? I really could do with a more positive spin.
                I really don't know how I feel about Sam being on Atlantis. I mean a part of me is excited to see Amanda again whether it be on Atlantis or a new series, but at the same time I already come to terms that this is the end of SG-1 and Amanda would be moving on. I was actually looking forward to possibly seeing her in a new role where we could see stretch her acting muscles and evolve a bit more, so needless to say I'm a bit nervous about her being on Atlantis. Mostly because of the fact that Sam has always been the center of controversy on SG-1 and the way things seem to be going, she will continue to be an issue of controversy on Atlantis as well and for that I feel really bad for Amanda because she deserves so much more.

As far as the above spoilers( includes spoilers for the end of S10 )...
                Spoiler:
                Personally, I am really concerned about how they intend to get Sam to Atlantis because from what I could gather from Amanda at AT2, the season ends with a cliffhanger of the team stuck up on the Odyssey.

So my question is, how can they all be stuck on the Odyssey at the end of S10 and continue in the fall with two stargate movies with the team together if Sam manages to make her way to Atlantis.

The only way I can see that happening is if Sam makes her way to Atlantis after the second movie. And now I find myself trying to figure out what the second movie could possibly be about where the team would be aged twenty and forty years in the future.

It will definitely be interesting to see if they manage to pull all of this off successfully and how they plan to bring Amanda/Sam into the Atlantis storyline.

My guess would be that at the end of the second movie, Sam is in command of the Odyssey or another ship and she and her crew make their way to Atlantis in order to help them. I don't see her having a huge part, but rather used in a way to hopefully bring more fans, like myself, from SG-1 onto the show. This would also allow Amanda to work on other projects as well. As I said, this is just my opinion and probably way out of the park, but that's really the only way I can see her being added to the show.

Last edited by ForeverSg1; 26 November 2006, 02:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1 View Post
                  Avalon Summary
                  Wonderful report and pics, Kat. Thank you so much for taking the time to write it up.

Yeah, I just read it - looks like we're viewing things similarly.

So can someone cheer the pair of us up????

Please?

Anyone? ...............
                  Spoiler:
                  It is my belief that Sam will not be in the Pegasus galaxy by the end of Atlantis season 4. She will be in our galaxy to coincide with the end of SG-1's season 10, ready for the movies.
                  scarimor

Comment

I just have to share this with you all

I just talked to Trupi a little while ago and she gave me a bit of personal news that almost made me cry. She made a small poster with my name on it and was about to substitute her hubby's photo op for a photo with the poster, Amanda and Rick for me but after explaining my recent circumstances on how I was supposed to be there but the surgery..etc..etc.., Amanda remembered me (she sent me a very supportive note before my surgery via a middleperson & friend!)....and did a separate photo for me with she and Rick holding the poster with my name on it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *sniff* I'm so happy right now *sniff* I can't wait to see it! This was a surprise for me Trupi and Lady Jeep are the best!! I owe them big time!

Thank you so much Amanda and Rick!!!
                    Last edited by SG1Poz; 26 November 2006, 08:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by NZBG View Post
                      So Amanda knows about the Samandans, right?
                      For our newer citizens of Samanda ... this imaginary kingdom started very early on at this thread. We actually elected a president, vice pres (sally) and a royal court ... we had a royal newspaper (coley) and lots of fun playing ... while we joined in deep discussions about Sam as a great character. One of our dear dear members, Astrogeologist, compiled the best and brightest moments and created the "red book" of Samanda - this huge, leather-bound tome was a work of art. I'm hoping someone here (deepspace?!) can locate the index page so you can go take a look at what we sent to Amanda at Bridge Studios.

When I went to GABIT last year and was at the cocktail party, Julia (G4) approached me and asked if I knew anything about "the red book" as Amanda wanted to meet someone from the group of fans who created it. Lucky me! I happened to be the only one in the room who had history with Samanda and the book. When Amanda came to our table, I told her more. She revealed that when the book was delivered to her trailer, she was so touched that she cried and couldn't believe what this thread (Astro, bless her) had put together about her character and our reactions to what was happening to Sam as the seasons went on. She then went on at the first Q&A to tell the whole room about her Samanda fans at GW.

I do believe that she sneaks onboard here from time to time to see what we still have to say about Sam. She knows that we are a user-friendly site and I hope we manage to act as a buffer in some small way to the negativity and nastiness that may appear elsewhere.

You know, I think I wrote a poem about the red book when we first put it together ... I'll see if I can find and post again. It was a labor of love from many of the early thread members ... beautiful graphics and photo caps and really intelligent discussions about how we felt about Sam (and Amanda). We were hoping it would become a keepsake for Amanda to share with Olivia about what her mommy did as an actress. LOL, while I was sharing tea (er, champagne) this year with Amanda, I managed to bring up the fact that Olivia will never have to be ashamed if any kid tells her: "your mom wears army boots" and Amanda laughed.

Astro hasn't been around for awhile ... Keeper of the Flame ... she added so much to this thread and I'm so hoping she returns to the discussions one day.

So, as Amanda said at her Q&As this year, I've just given a rather long-winded answer to a simple question! hehehehe

Comment

I couldn't find the poem referencing the red book, but did find another poem which speaks of Samanda ...

Samanda’s Flag

There it flies
                        In all its glory
                        Lending color
                        To Samanda’s story

The kingdom started as a lark
                        Sam Carter’s fans were the spark
                        Which ignited the flame
                        That created the name

Samanda … a fairytale land
                        Some may think us mad, don’t understand
                        But Samanda is not such a mystery
                        With its Royal Court and amusing history

We’re here for all to see and share
                        Kindness reigns and be aware
                        That is what the Queen would ask
                        As the world’s most important task

Sam/Amanda sets the tone
                        She believes in doing good and is not alone
                        That is why this kingdom thrives
                        Goodhearted people do here abide

At times we all may disagree
                        But even so, we’re “family”
                        Samanda does hold quite a group
                        Young and old, a potluck soup

Lively thinkers, serious minds
                        Great debaters, and other kinds
                        Wits and artists and some shy folk
                        But all know how to take a joke

So enjoy the grounds and stroll around
                        There are some beautiful birds to be found
                        The flag will wave forevermore
                        As part of our Samanda lore

Last edited by ChopinGal; 26 November 2006, 07:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SG1Poz View Post
                          I just have to share this with you all

I just talked to Trupi a little while ago and she gave me a bit of personal news that almost made me cry. She made a small poster with my name on it and was about to substitute her hubby's photo op for a photo with the poster, Amanda and Rick for me but after explaining my recent circumstances on how I was supposed to be there but the surgery..etc..etc.., Amanda remembered me (she sent me a very supportive note before my surgery via a middleperson & friend!)....and did a separate photo for me with she and Rick holding the poster with my name on it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *sniff* I'm so happy right now *sniff* I can't wait to see it! This was a surprise for me Trupi and Lady Jeep are the best!! I owe them big time!
                          Terrific news and so like Amanda!

What great friends you have! I think hidden gestures of kindness and generosity were happening all this past week. Amanda draws out the best in people by being so goodhearted herself.

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal View Post
                            For our newer citizens of Samanda ... this imaginary kingdom started very early on at this thread. We actually elected a president, vice pres (sally) and a royal court ... we had a royal newspaper (coley) and lots of fun playing ... while we joined in deep discussions about Sam as a great character. One of our dear dear members, Astrogeologist, compiled the best and brightest moments and created the "red book" of Samanda - this huge, leather-bound tome was a work of art. I'm hoping someone here (deepspace?!) can locate the index page so you can go take a look at what we sent to Amanda at Bridge Studios.

When I went to GABIT last year and was at the cocktail party, Julia (G4) approached me and asked if I knew anything about "the red book" as Amanda wanted to meet someone from the group of fans who created it. Lucky me! I happened to be the only one in the room who had history with Samanda and the book. When Amanda came to our table, I told her more. She revealed that when the book was delivered to her trailer, she was so touched that she cried and couldn't believe what this thread (Astro, bless her) had put together about her character and our reactions to what was happening to Sam as the seasons went on. She then went on at the first Q&A to tell the whole room about her Samanda fans at GW.
                            Is this it?

http://home.comcast.net/~1annex/SaGCBoundCollection.htm

http://home.comcast.net/~1annex/SaGCCollectionforAT.pdf

I saw it netsurfing, but never read it, just kind of thumbed through it in a virtual sense. Wow, what an impressive and generous gift - kudos to all those involved. I didn't know it came from here!
                            Words have tremendous power. The right words spoken by the right people at the right times can lift up communities, transform lives, mend relationships, break hearts—even topple empires.
                            Quint Studer

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan View Post
                              Okay. I have to get mushy for a second because I've read and heard so many great stories and I'm just bursting at the seams.

The reality is that we've picked the best fandom to be in. Right here.

Why?

Well first off, we have a fantastic character in Samantha Carter.

What can I say? I have a soft spot for strong female role model types who weild really big guns and blow things up while still maintaining their femininity and grace. We have that in Sam and so much more. A friend, a leader, a genius, a mother. Sam is all that and oh so much more.

Then to top it all off...we have Amanda Tapping, who simply has to be the most gracious human being on the face of this earth.

She's definitely one of the funniest, that's for certain. But as for her charm and finesse and her heart...there is no equal. I can't tell you all the stories I've heard about her. Some were announced publically so that everyone could share in her warmth and humor and others were shared to me in confidence about personal experiences that warm my heart through and through.

Minigeek wrote this and I'll echo her sentiments. I am truly proud to call myself a fan of Amanda Tapping's. In a cynical world full of angst and doubt, it's heartening to know that there's someone out there who genuinely cares about the people she meets as a result of her work. She cares about her fans...genuinely and truly. She puts up no pretenses or airs. She is who she is without apology or remorse...a mother, an actress, a friend.

Thank you Amanda for 10 years of SG-1 (plus whatever becomes of the show) and I look forward to whatever your future holds because I know that big things are in store for you.

Thou speakest the truth in our fair land
                              Whenever a fan is in need, Amanda lends a hand
                              She is not only beautiful, witty and wise
                              She is an Angel in disguise

Lest we embarrass her with our gushing
                              Let's remember without rushing
                              Into placing her on a pedestal up too high
                              Amanda's just as down to earth as you and I

She laughs and sneezes and tells bawdy jokes
                              Goes to work, comes home tired just like other folks
                              Has all the demands of today's young mothers and wives
                              Yet somehow manages to juggle it all and thrives

Add to that the pressures of fame
                              She doesn't see herself as part of the celebrity game
                              Amanda lives with her feet on the ground
                              That's why she is so delightful to be around

So there you have it, just a small tribute
                              And a grateful Samandan salute
                              To the girl next door who has won our hearts and praise
                              May she stay real for the rest of her days!

Comment

Originally posted by tagger View Post
                                Is this it?

http://home.comcast.net/~1annex/SaGCBoundCollection.htm

http://home.comcast.net/~1annex/SaGCCollectionforAT.pdf

I saw it netsurfing, but never read it, just kind of thumbed through it in a virtual sense. Wow, what an impressive and generous gift - kudos to all those involved. I didn't know it came from here!
                                That's it, tagger, and thanks for finding it. Astrogeologist put so much time into compiling some of the great posts here and put together an amazing book. She really did an awesome job.

NC

Comment

Working...
                                X