Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by ChopinGal
    I just want to say, in the spirit of Samanda, that there are other kingdoms out there which celebrate Sam Carter and Amanda.

    Please visit Amanda's own website run by a really neat guy, Kamil, who takes great pains to update and keep everyone informed of the latest from AT herself: www.amandatapping.com

    And then there's a whole group of active fans over at Yahoo.com who extol her praises. You can join the Amanda Tapping Fan Club and I believe an Amanda's Diary site too run by Sandra and Selena. I don't have the direct links but I bet Astro would do the favors and help me with this.

    Happy Sam Surfing!
    The Official Amanda Tapping Website

    The Amanda Tapping Club Website

    Abydos Gate's Amanda Tapping Website

    Sam Carter Fanfic

    The Amanda Tapping Club Yahoo Group

    The Carterfic Yahoo Group

    Arduinna's Sam Carter Ominium Page (Sam's bio, etc., link from Strix)

    Sam Carter on Gateworld's Omnipedia

    Sam Carter's House

    Sam's A Great Character Thread on Gateworld's Forum
    Ultimate Sam Episode Poll Results and Summary Comments

    2004 Chat with AT

    There's a few that I have... do others have more?

    Oh, and as you go forth and explore the realms beyond the SaGC and Samanda... your mission is to bring Sam-fans back with you!

    Edited to add: This thread! (D'oh!)
    Last edited by astrogeologist; 07 May 2005, 12:40 PM.

    Comment


      Originally posted by ForeverSg1

      Yeah I saw the picture last night and my expectations for next year sort of dropped a notch. I have a sickening feeling in my gut that it's PU all over again. I'm sorry but to me she looks like a Dominatrix in a bad movie. A part of me is so glad that Sam is far far away and doesn't have to belittle herself to be in the same company of Vala. I couldn't stand the get ups they put Anise in and this is far worse. *Grumbles to herself*

      Kat
      Astro also was disappointed in the costume and so was I. The babes on Andromeda and other series look like this ... kind of Barbarella Redux ... and I thought TPTB learned a lesson from the reaction to Anise and the sudden demise of Anise because her look didn't seem to fly with the fans.

      Perhaps TPTB just want to welcome Vala into the bosom of Stargate ... yeah, sure ... and my friend here wants to sell you some prime real estate in the Okefenokee Swamp.

      We lose a cute, petite doctor of medicine (who wears sensible shoes) to this?!!

      Female characters are so rarely developed (oops, maybe I should use another word) ... rarely fashioned into the mold of a Sam Carter ... there, that's better ... that Janet Fraiser was a delightful second female lead in Stargate. Yes, we are getting a recycled "Rommie" to play the new doctor ... but we haven't seen her in costume yet. Although, a small glimmer of hope and sanity remains ... what could they possibly do to a basic lab coat and a pair of low heels?

      However, right now, Vala is the only new female getting exposure ... gad! There I go again!

      First impressions are powerful impressions. Anyone read Blink? According to what I'm seeing, this Vala chick is just not raisin' the bar towards women being taken seriously. And that's a shame because AT has fought hard to gain respect for her character and women in general.

      I know, you guys are probably enjoying the eye candy. Sex sells. What do the males on the thread have to say about Dominatrix Vala?! Are we females overreacting?

      Yes, it's only a TV show ... I should get a life!

      Comment


        Originally posted by SamFan31
        Sorry, this is a bit OT but wanted to share…

        Here’s an example of something to tide our family over until the real DVD Season 8 release in October. With the help of Photoshop and various friends we’ve come up with a temporary solution until the real thing comes along. It’s still a work in progress, as you can see. But it will serve as a cover for the episode case until October.

        Suggestions for improvements are warmly welcomed. Any ideas for additional pictures to put in the small Stargates on the left panel? It’s already been a joint effort in this house…

        Now if we just had one of those printers that can print pics directly on the DVD…. Well, we can dream!

        If there is a better thread for this please let me know. We created it with Sam as the main focus.

        Click on the link below.
        http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y92...-New-Order.jpg
        Fantastic job, Samfan! (And definitely not OT!)

        Comment


          Originally posted by ChopinGal
          Astro also was disappointed in the costume and so was I. The babes on Andromeda and other series look like this ... kind of Barbarella Redux ... and I thought TPTB learned a lesson from the reaction to Anise and the sudden demise of Anise because her look didn't seem to fly with the fans.

          Perhaps TPTB just want to welcome Vala into the bosom of Stargate ... yeah, sure ... and my friend here wants to sell you some prime real estate in the Okefenokee Swamp.

          We lose a cute, petite doctor of medicine (who wears sensible shoes) to this?!!

          Female characters are so rarely developed (oops, maybe I should use another word) ... rarely fashioned into the mold of a Sam Carter ... there, that's better ... that Janet Fraiser was a delightful second female lead in Stargate. Yes, we are getting a recycled "Rommie" to play the new doctor ... but we haven't seen her in costume yet. Although, a small glimmer of hope and sanity remains ... what could they possibly do to a basic lab coat and a pair of low heels?

          However, right now, Vala is the only new female getting exposure ... gad! There I go again!

          First impressions are powerful impressions. Anyone read Blink? According to what I'm seeing, this Vala chick is just not raisin' the bar towards women being taken seriously. And that's a shame because AT has fought hard to gain respect for her character and women in general.

          I know, you guys are probably enjoying the eye candy. Sex sells. What do the males on the thread have to say about Dominatrix Vala?! Are we females overreacting?

          Yes, it's only a TV show ... I should get a life!
          Just a few posts back, tsaxlady told us this.

          Originally posted by tsaxlady
          In reference to Sony - N. John Smith said that because of the success of the Stargate franchise they have more freedom than most shows. A few of the changes in cast for both SG-1 & Atlantis are network driven because of demographics. But both John and Martin Wood said that they are really luck in that the network/studios stay out of their way most of the time. Martin & Andy did job about it being helpful to have a Sony executive that is a big fan of the show. ..
          So should we be surprised that they're catering to a certain demographic by costuming Vala the way they are? Unhappy, yes, but not surprised. I'm just glad that Sam is in the military, so they don't feel compelled to dress her up the same way.

          BTW, when I saw the picture, I just wanted Sam to show up, and pull the sword out of the stone.

          NC

          Comment


            yes, it's fairly obvious who they're catering to

            whatever

            surely the boys that make the show realize that most fans do like a wee bit more than 'just another pretty face' to watch

            for me, if i want skin, i'll watch re-runs of baywatch

            i like plot and prefer substance over a thin glittery coating. I'd rather spend a littel more money and get me a sterling silver bracelet than a cheap paste copy whose plating quickly wears off

            but, you know, come are content with the glitter. good for them
            Where in the World is George Hammond?


            sigpic

            Comment


              Originally posted by NearlyCircular

              ... BTW, when I saw the picture, I just wanted Sam to show up, and pull the sword out of the stone.

              NC
              That would be a perfect tribute to the power of a woman! Maybe the sword will remain in the stone until Episode 6 and Sam will do just that!

              You're right about the demographic changing to accommodate a whole new group of fans. I just hope the writing doesn't go south along with the costume designs.

              Hard to imagine, but this may be the last year for AT now that she has another, more important role to fill every day. I hope some great moments are written into the scripts for Sam in S9 that do justice to the character.
              Last edited by ChopinGal; 23 April 2005, 01:26 PM.

              Comment


                Originally posted by ChopinGal
                That would be a perfect tribute to the power of a woman! Maybe the sword will remain in the stone until Episode 6 and Sam will do just that!

                LOL

                that would be sweet
                Where in the World is George Hammond?


                sigpic

                Comment


                  Okay - I'm doing something a little different with this post. For some reason, I went back to the post where I described how I enjoyed different aspects of Sam's character based on my mood...but then I realized the egregious error I made: I am the Royal Photographer, and I didn't include any pictures!!!



                  (well, okay, the banner at the end...but that's not nearly adequate)

                  So, with your humble indulgences, please allow me to repost the same thing as before, now enhanced with pictures:

                  Part 1:

                  I think that's what makes her way cool...We don't have to choose which aspect of her to love! We get it all... but as to which I prefer... truly depends on my mood.

                  Sometimes I just want to see her be a smart alec and laugh my head off at her in any scene with McKay, like in Redemption and more recently Maybourne in It's Good to be King.


                  Sometimes I want to see her softer side and love watching Grace or Singularity.


                  Sometimes I want to see her make a mistake, so I'll view Red Sky or Gemini.


                  Sometimes I'm in a mood for a mystery, so I'll have to see her solve a major problem like in Matter of Time or Small Victories.


                  Sometimes I just have to see Sam be taken over by an alien being, so I'll see Entity or In the Line of Duty.



                  <<<MORE TO COME>>>
                  Last edited by Uber; 23 April 2005, 05:09 PM.

                  ...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

                  Comment


                    Part 2:

                    Sometimes I'm in the mood to see her deal with loss, so I'll pop in Heroes or Paradise Lost.


                    Sometimes I want to see her enduring something painful, so I'll go for Death Knell or New Order.


                    Sometimes I just want to see her try to get a handle on her O'Neill issues so I'll be in the mood to watch Lost City or Threads.


                    Sometimes I want an "she's not really our Sam" episode, so I'll watch something like Point of View or Moebius.


                    Sometimes I just want to see her kick back, have some fun and show that 1000 megawatt smile...so I'll drag out Space Race or Nemesis (she said she was having fun...).



                    <<<MORE TO COME>>>
                    Last edited by Uber; 23 April 2005, 04:59 PM.

                    ...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

                    Comment


                      Part 3:

                      Sometimes I just have to see her kick major butt and will load up Avenger 2.0 or Reckoning or fill-in-the-blank...


                      Then there are the times I'm in the mood for a practically all encompassing episode (almost all of the above) and I'll watch Foothold!




                      IMHO, this is what makes Sam A Hero for Every Season.



                      ...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                        I don't know about that. I was watching Zero Hour last night and my my my... Teal'c was looking mighty fine and that warm smile he gave Sam. I think in season 1 or 2 I may have wanted Sam to hook up with Daniel more, but now... if a particular man doesn't get his act together I could seriously see her getting all cozy with a certain Jaffa.

                        http://img11.echo.cx/img11/4436/zero20hour5f1434xc.jpg

                        Heads out in search of the Sam/Teal'c thread... *cackle*

                        Kat



                        i can see teal'c being a great distraction for a while , but for a life long relationship... i just think their differences would be very restrictive for sam in the long run. from the way teal'c is written, i can't see sam and him having a lot to share. their entire upbringings and mind sets are totally different. i think, and this is just my opinion, that sam would end up rather lonely if she were to be in a romantic relationship with teal'c for long.

                        i think she has a lot in common with daniel, but no more than jack. with daniel, she's got the science and scientific wonder to share. they both seem to want to look into something before shooting first and asking questions later too. but, she's also got that military vibe with jack, which i think is just as big of a mind set as her scientific mind is as well. so who do i think she'd be happiest with? she's got love, support, and respect with all three guys, but she's got that sexual attraction with jack. you can't make yourself feel attracted to someone (or not attracted), just because A is available or B is better for you. you can't shut it off. erasing chimera, pete was wonderful to sam. he gave sam everything she was missing by restricting herself from being in a relationship. no matter what he did or didn't do, by the end, you could sure tell pete loved sam. but again, you can't make yourself feel or respond just because it's the way of least resistance. the heart rules.

                        (on a side note; i've *always* had a thing for bad boys, and jack's charms did not go unnoticed by me )


                        sally
                        sally

                        sigpic

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by jckfan55

                          Another (non shippy) thought has occurred to me as I've been rewatching many of the season 1 and 2 episodes that SciFi is running. Militarily competent Sam is often in the position of protecting Daniel--pulling him out of the line of fire, throwing hand grenades, etc. Now he can take care of himself pretty well. But he's seen her in action all these years--no wonder he has no question in her competence to LEAD the team now.
                          and i'm glad it's shown that daniel doesn't have any probs (ego or anything) about a woman being so much more... uh... macho than him. but really, sam has the training and such, so it 'should' be that sam's better at self defense and such.


                          sally
                          sally

                          sigpic

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by majorsal
                            i can see teal'c being a great distraction for a while , but for a life long relationship... i just think their differences would be very restrictive for sam in the long run. from the way teal'c is written, i can't see sam and him having a lot to share. their entire upbringings and mind sets are totally different. i think, and this is just my opinion, that sam would end up rather lonely if she were to be in a romantic relationship with teal'c for long.

                            i think she has a lot in common with daniel, but no more than jack. with daniel, she's got the science and scientific wonder to share. they both seem to want to look into something before shooting first and asking questions later too. but, she's also got that military vibe with jack, which i think is just as big of a mind set as her scientific mind is as well. so who do i think she'd be happiest with? she's got love, support, and respect with all three guys, but she's got that sexual attraction with jack. you can't make yourself feel attracted to someone (or not attracted), just because A is available or B is better for you. you can't shut it off. erasing chimera, pete was wonderful to sam. he gave sam everything she was missing by restricting herself from being in a relationship. no matter what he did or didn't do, by the end, you could sure tell pete loved sam. but again, you can't make yourself feel or respond just because it's the way of least resistance. the heart rules.

                            (on a side note; i've *always* had a thing for bad boys, and jack's charms did not go unnoticed by me )


                            sally
                            I think the role Teal'c plays so well in her life is that of a loving older brother...the way he's there to support her and the way they tease each other...

                            Kind of like Daniel, when they met, he was married and dealing with his own issues. She has less in common with Teal'c than she does with Daniel, but that doesn't bother me much because I'm a big proponent of opposites attracting.

                            Although AT did say that CJ was dead sexy (which he is), there just never seemed to be any kind of sexual attraction between her and Teal'c.

                            ...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by majorsal
                              and i'm glad it's shown that daniel doesn't have any probs (ego or anything) about a woman being so much more... uh... macho than him. but really, sam has the training and such, so it 'should' be that sam's better at self defense and such.


                              sally
                              I like in Zero Hour how they both
                              Spoiler:
                              gave her support after Jack put their mission on hold...

                              I don't think Jack lacked confidence in Sam as a leader (as I'm sure some might believe from the way he was acting). I think that because of his connection to SG-1 and to the 3 of them, he would have a tendency to be more cautious with them...more than likely even more so because of his Sam issues; albeit on a subconcious level.

                              This is another reason why it's actually good for the show and good for Sam that O'Neill won't be around much next season...it'll give her a chance to really spread her wings as a team leader without being constantly weighed down by the unintended consequences of the ship...

                              ...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by Skydiver
                                yes, it's fairly obvious who they're catering to

                                whatever

                                surely the boys that make the show realize that most fans do like a wee bit more than 'just another pretty face' to watch
                                What pretty face? It was mainly the effects of the push-up bra! If that's where the new season is going, I'm disgusted! Our Sam needs to hurry back and slap everyone silly!

                                Originally posted by ChopinGal
                                Astro also was disappointed in the costume and so was I. The babes on Andromeda and other series look like this ... kind of Barbarella Redux ... and I thought TPTB learned a lesson from the reaction to Anise and the sudden demise of Anise because her look didn't seem to fly with the fans.

                                Perhaps TPTB just want to welcome Vala into the bosom of Stargate ... yeah, sure ... and my friend here wants to sell you some prime real estate in the Okefenokee Swamp.
                                Barbarella Redux......that's a good way to express it!
                                Last edited by sg-1fanintn; 23 April 2005, 06:04 PM.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X