Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
    which is probably the exuse mgm will use to be super pissy when it's far more likely that the reviews coming from across the pond will do far more damage
    I think that the damage was already done with Season Nine. I do see some signs of improvement in Season Ten, but that doesn't do much good where the viewers who have given up on the show are concerned.

The six month wait isn't going to help their cause, people who aren't overly interested in the "new" show may not bother turning in. A lot can happen in six months. People can get to like a new show, start a new activity, etc.

there's 24,000 people registered to this forum. and even if every single one of them downloaded instead of watching it still wouldn't reflect a single ratings point
    Especially since a significant chunk aren't American and, in all probability, only a few of those who are have Nielsen boxes.

they will use it as an excuse,, but it really has no real effect

the greater 'damage' will be, imho, folks hearing about the episodes and basing whether or not to watch upon those very same reviews
    They'll use anything they can as an excuse. If, for example, I watch "The Quest, Part 2" in a few months time, think it stinks and post my thoughts, it is unlikely to have any huge effect on the ratings, anymore than it would if I posted that it was a fabulous episode. If, however, I am one of many who think the episode stinks and say as much, that would indicate that all is not hunky dory with the episode.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
      ((((Samandans)))

Wow, it's good to be back

My computer broke down and it took a week to get it fixed and back to me

(wonders if it had anything to do with the discussion I was having with Eve )

Will be trying to catch up (boy you guys talk a lot )

oh and Sky, I just read my e-mail about the fic-a-thon, will get right to work on it

oh yea, and tomorrow the Gemini's are on
      ((((Mandy))) glad to have you back hun

and no it wasn't me...and also not my brethren...cause if it was me of them you would have had internet after a few hours I am not that destructive lol

Originally posted by JanSam View Post
      Eve control your brethren! We were wondering what happened to you Mandy, glad your back!

Jan
      Why is it Jan that you lurk all the time but when you see someone against me you join in?!?
      You just love to tease me eh

Originally posted by JenniferJF View Post
      More caps?
      Ok how are my teeth...I hope I flossed enough this morning
      they look awsome!

Comment

Originally posted by samcarterrules View Post

11 days to AT2 *squeeeee*

Julia(samcarterrules)
        Well I'm not one that normally squees but I just received an email that a seat for the cocktail party has opened up and I'm able to purchase it so SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!
        My View From The Peanut Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by RepliCartertje View Post
          and no it wasn't me...and also not my brethren...cause if it was me of them you would have had internet after a few hours I am not that destructive lol[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
          I can vouch for that. When Eve causes my laptop to overheat, it's always back up within half an hour. So this can't be her fault.

On topic, just got my copy of "Reading Stargate" by Beeler and Dickson from the library and there is one chapter devoted to Sam: "Way Smarter Than You are: Sam Carter, Human Being" and "Sam I Am: Female Fans' interaction with Samantha Carter Through fan fiction and online discussion".

Oh yes, that's right. *We* weren't mentioned, though, not specifically. I suspect many of you know about this, but if not, it's definitely interesting and worth a read.... Don't agree with some of it, think some of its biased due to the methods used for data collection... But still, interesting...

Have a good night/morning, whatever,

Comment

i think that's the book that took one ofmy fic and twisted it a bit. IIRC, they held it up as an example of, oh i think sam being bad or weak or something. cant recall the details

but yeah, some personal bias in the book. course what did i expect from someone that contacted me, asking persmission to reference my fic, then telling me that even if i said no, it was posted publically so they were gonna it anyway
            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

i think that's the book that took one ofmy fic and twisted it a bit. IIRC, they held it up as an example of, oh i think sam being bad or weak or something. cant recall the details

but yeah, some personal bias in the book. course what did i expect from someone that contacted me, asking persmission to reference my fic, then telling me that even if i said no, it was posted publically so they were gonna it anyway

Yeah... Doesn't surprise me from what I read. Seems very biased while trying to sound unbiased... I love 'academics'. You can prove anything if you try hard enough. But your first name and penname and story name and website are listed. Though I doubt you thought Sam "was acting initially with selfish purposes and thus receives her due"...

Because we sort of know what you think Sam is due...

Comment

lol

yeah, that fic was more along the line of sam going through a depression after 100 days feeling like she'd brought jack back who didn't want to come back

she was down,tired lonely and feeling sorry for herself

but if it's anything, it shows that people can and will see whatever they want to see

sigpic

Comment

Yes, as JenniferJF pointed out here's the quote from that article that bugged me too. "In 'Cold Comfort' by Denise (set after the season three episode 'A Hundred Days',) Sam realises that the refugees from Edora were not unanimously grateful for her help and she was hurt by Jack's flat affect when he was rescued from the planet. Once again, although Sam has shown that she feels deeply about her predicament, she is shown to be acting initially with selfish purposes and thus receives her due."

Of course, this author also mentions the story 'Realizations' and says "what Sam overhears at Stargate Command makes her realise that she is self-centered and hasn't acknowledged the help of her team-mates."

I've read that story and that is a good summary, but IMO it must have been written by a huge fan of another character because it's compeletely biased toward him. Needless to say, I hated it.

You're right, JenniferJF, you gotta love those academics.

NC

Comment

lol

yeah, that fic was more along the line of sam going through a depression after 100 days feeling like she'd brought jack back who didn't want to come back

she was down,tired lonely and feeling sorry for herself

but if it's anything, it shows that people can and will see whatever they want to see
                    That can be fascinating sometimes, the lengths people will go to tear down a character. I've seen Sam bear the brunt of it elsewhere.

It's supposedly her fault that Janet died, even though there is no evidence of any Jaffa slipping past the other dozen soldiers while she tended to Jack - I've watched the scene in slow motion to check.

She takes credit for the contributions of others - the distinction between taking credit and being given credit by those who know the contributions she and others have made seems to be difficult for some to grasp.

Sam seems to attract a share of jealousy, both in terms of her relationship with other characters, Jack in particular, and the amount of screentime that is devoted both to her and to those relationships. Logically, there is only so much screentime and everyone has their preferences about how it should be divided. Even if screentime was divided evenly, with the exact same time being devoted to each character, each relationship, each combination of characters, etc, there would still be some who would feel that Character A wasn't getting enough, or that there should be more of the friendship shown between Characters A and B and that the scenes between Characters B and C were taking focus away from A and B or similar. Perhaps some would come to resent Character C for existing at all.

If somebody wants to see exclusive focus on one character, then even a small amount of focus on another character is too much.

As far as your story goes, unfortunately there's nothing you can do about how people interpret what you've written when their own views will color their impressions. If they want to think badly of Sam, they'll think badly of her even if she single-handedly, without any advice or support of any kind, saves not only her team (including whichever character ranks as their favourite) and Earth, but the entire galaxy, ensuring a universal peace and a Utopic society. She'll either have taken too long, or she'll be pining after Jack, even if there has been no indication of any kind of 'ship, or she'll be arrogant about it... there'll be something.

Even if somebody is convinced that "Hamlet, Prince of Denmark" is actually about a happy little squirrel called Kevin, it doesn't mean that Shakespeare ever intended it, or that anybody else will feel the same way. Why worry about the twit who does?

Comment

it just cracks me up to see folks twist stories to suit themselves.

she can see what she wants to see although it woulda been nice had she chosen one of the bashers to use for her book. then again, maybe that woulda been too easy

in any case, part of my 15 minutes of fame and now there's two books in the fandom that i have a mention/part in so...hey, whatever works

sigpic

Comment

it just cracks me up to see folks twist stories to suit themselves.

she can see what she wants to see although it woulda been nice had she chosen one of the bashers to use for her book. then again, maybe that woulda been too easy

in any case, part of my 15 minutes of fame and now there's two books in the fandom that i have a mention/part in so...hey, whatever works
                        But if she had done that, it would be obvious that the piece had set out to bash Sam from Moment One and that the author had a clear bias against the character that bled into their work.

Using your work - shouldn't that be copyrighted to you, by the way? - allowed the author to hint to anyone in the fandom who knew of your work that Sam was such a horrible, self-absorbed character that even you, her fan, knew how nasty she was... deep, deep, deep, deep, deep down.

As a matter of curiousity, is the Sam-bashing in fic mostly from slash stories, or are there other categories?

Comment

Originally posted by JenniferJF View Post
                          I can vouch for that. When Eve causes my laptop to overheat, it's always back up within half an hour. So this can't be her fault.
                          Eve's never hurt my computer, but she is partially responsible for some burnt dinner rolls...

On topic, I'm getting so excited for all of you AT2 attendees! Take lots and lots of pictures and bring back lots of stories to share! How many of you are staying for Avalon?

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX View Post
                            Even if somebody is convinced that "Hamlet, Prince of Denmark" is actually about a happy little squirrel....
                            Heh, heh, Rosencrantz and Guildensquirrel.

(*nods to Blackadder*) Wait a minute, I thought Hamlet was about two cockney gravediggers?

Comment

Originally posted by golfbooy View Post
                              Heh, heh, Rosencrantz and Guildensquirrel.

(*nods to Blackadder*) Wait a minute, I thought Hamlet was about two cockney gravediggers?
                              That's right. The ones Waiting for O'Neill to come and marry them.

Hang on, those were the tramps...
                              scarimor

Comment

Hey Samandans...I know this may be off topic but I just wanted to let you know how my very first con went tonight...so I thought I'd just post what I had posted in S/J Ship thread if that's ok!!
                                Spoiler:

Tony Amendola was lovely...very sweet...and funny...in one of the photos we had done with Tony I made a comment that the camera guy needed us to move more to the front and closer coz we...or rather I...was too short...so he got down on his knees and posed with us that way...it was so cool!!
                                Then with Rachel Lutrell...she was so cute...she was quite quiet...she was not feeling the best but was an absolute trooper...none the less she was fun to be with...she and Niki hit it off...they talked about dancing...Niki and Rachel both dance ballet...so Niki was in seventh heaven...and Rachel and her little sister Erika sang a beautiful song for us...totally awesome!!
                                David Nykl is an absolute cracker...and embarrassed me in front of everyone...I simply asked if he ever lurked in GW...and he came back with some question to me which had me blushing bright red...I can't remember exactly what he asked or said to me but it had everyone laughing...me included of course!!
                                I couldn't believe how relaxed I was once I had met them...I mean I was asking questions and all without a care...it was so fantastic!!
                                Then we all had dinner together...that was great...we were able to chat with all the guests freely...it was so relaxed and intimate...I can't wait for the next one...DSD comes out next April...I'm so there!!
                                I could go on for ever talking about the con...but I only managed 3 hours sleep last night...so I'm gonna hit the hay...
                                Oh yeah...all the other fans I met were absolutely great...and the event organisers were super...it's something I will never ever forget.!
                                I can't wait to meet Amanda one day...I'm not so nervous anymore...feeling like I can do anything right now...it's very empowering!!
                                Oh yeah...when we were chatting after dinner I got text message from one of my nuff nuff friends....so I called her to tell her I was having fun and then in the spur of the moment I handed my mobile phone to Rachel and she chatted to my buddy...it was so totally wicked!!

Well there you go folks...my first con and it was a hoot...I think I may be hooked now...and I can't tell you how many times I mentioned GW to the guests and everyone else there...I hope some of them come over to visit!
                                Anyhoo...gotta go to bed...godd night everyone...take care and be safe!
                                "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
                                Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                                ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Working...
                                X