Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ReganX View Post
    That'll happen a few weeks after never.

Nobody can criticize the hewo or suggest that he doesn't deserve to be in charge... which illustrates how weak a character said hewo is and how ill-suited he is for his role.
    My point exactly. TPTB will never admit they messed up...so of course Sam won't say a word and seemingly be alright with this leadership thing, even though the Sam we know wouldn't be. It's sad, really.

Comment

Originally posted by ShimmeringStar View Post
      *grins* Well... I can think of 3 of us who're going with nice cameras.... we can sneak up the aisle when it's poster presentation time and take a bunch of pix of the wonderful moment...

Now you're not camera shy, are you mini?
      i'll have my camera too, and a digital video camera if all works right (i have this annoying habit of cameras breaking on vacation)

i'll also have a gizmo to download memory cards to cd that i'm gonna use to backup my pics

I"m not very fond of being in front of a camera...that's why my line of work is to be behind them
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ShimmeringStar View Post
        I checked the site. I thought there was, but the only prohibition was on video and audio recordings. (And of course there's the con-etiquette of not showing pix of con-goers who prefer to remain anonymous...)

I bought one of those "outlet-converter-thingers" (tm) for my cell phone and camera battery chargers, so let me know if you need to borrow it while we're there. Am leaving the lappie at home though (it'll be enough to keep up after the phone and camera!) --- was told they had a business center with computers for a fee - I won't be downloading the pix (think 3 1gig memory cards are enough?) while I'm there, but do plan to try to get on-line while there at some point.

*grins* Well... I can think of 3 of us who're going with nice cameras.... we can sneak up the aisle when it's poster presentation time and take a bunch of pix of the wonderful moment...

Now you're not camera shy, are you mini?
        Oh and if they do things the same as last year, there is no camera flashes allowed after the first few minutes of each Q & A. Last year they did allow us to run up the aisle quickly to take a few pictures, but they wanted people to go back to their seats quickly so as to not block other people's view.

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
          I still think anyone of her rank, who held a leadership position, wouldn't accept Cam's offer to join his team, they would ask for their own team to lead
          She didn't accept his offer. She refused to give in to his childish badgering or his emotional blackmail. Sam only returned to the SGC because she was needed.

As far as asking to be a team by themselves goes, had Mitchell done as he was ordered and chosen a team from the candidates available instead of devoting his time to pestering people who had moved on of their own free will - at least as far as he was aware, at any rate, I have my doubts regarding Sam's transfer - I do not doubt that Sam, Daniel and Teal'c would have formed their own team but Mitchell's actions left them in a difficult position.

If, after his quest to "get the band back together" they had returned to the SGC but refused to take the still vacant slots on SG-1, they would basically have been saying that they preferred not to work with Mitchell, that they didn't trust him as a potential teammate. I don't see any of them wanting to insult or hurt him like that, especially as their rejection could harm his standing at the SGC, in the eyes of people he would be working with in the future.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by L.A. Doyle View Post
            My point exactly. TPTB will never admit they messed up...so of course Sam won't say a word and seemingly be alright with this leadership thing, even though the Sam we know wouldn't be. It's sad, really.
            Mitchell has been routinely dosing the whole team with mind-control drugs. That or he's a trained hypnotist.

Comment

That'll happen a few weeks after never.

Nobody can criticize the hewo or suggest that he doesn't deserve to be in charge... which illustrates how weak a character said hewo is and how ill-suited he is for his role.
              Well again...this is about not taking a stand for something. It's like they know that the whole idea and manner in which they crammed Mitchell to the leaders hip of the team and completely disrespected Sam was a bad thing...yet, they won't admit it. They won't "fix" things directly (because that would mean they made a mistake)...but rather they will simply ignore it and hope it goes away.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan View Post
                From leadership to ship to geeking to her friendships to Cassie. Don't abandon or lessen who she is and what she went through because you're scared she'll overshadow the new pretty toys.
                I completely agree with everything you just said Oooober, but I just quoted that last bit because Sam will always overshadow the pretty new toys. She's classic Stargate, and while I like the new characters, they are never going to have the depth that Sam has developed over the past decade. TPTB can give her few lines, take away everything that was hers, and (attempt) to turn her into wallpaper, but it isn't going to happen. Sam Carter is larger than life. No matter what the writers/producers do, Sam is still (besides maybe Jack) the most recognizable character in Stargate. And let's face it, Sam is amazing because Amanda is amazing and she's poured herself into the character.

Comment

Well again...this is about not taking a stand for something. It's like they know that the whole idea and manner in which they crammed Mitchell to the leaders hip of the team and completely disrespected Sam was a bad thing...yet, they won't admit it. They won't "fix" things directly (because that would mean they made a mistake)...but rather they will simply ignore it and hope it goes away.
                  Given that the leadership issue is still being discussed after a season and a half of Mitchell as team leader, in name if nothing else, they may find that their hopes will go unfulfilled.

Comment

Mitchell has been routinely dosing the whole team with mind-control drugs. That or he's a trained hypnotist.

OH! Okay...that explains a few things.

Comment

I don't think they "resolved it when they disappeared it" though. I think they hid from it for a multitude of reasons.

The Grace/Affinity/Threads arc was (to me at least) a clear declaration that they (the writers, etc.) were pursuing the Sam/Jack pairing as canon. Like it, love it, hate it, be indifferent to it...that's what they were doing.

I don't require anyone to think this was a good idea or demand that someone see chemistry between them if they don't. And frankly, none of that matters anyway.

My point was and is, that IS a part of hers and Jack's story and to ignore it, lessens what she went through. It devalues the lessons she learned and the choices she made. They started it and then they left it hanging in mid-air, patting themselves on the back for their coyness and ambiguity. The thing is, coyness and ambiguity makes everyone mad. Take a stand for crying out loud. Make a decision and then follow through with it. When they actively pursued this story arc with Grace/Affinity/Threads, I rejoiced because I felt that they had made that stand. But then, they haven't followed through with it on any level.

Like I said, I don't want a gateroom wedding or an episode dedicated to the Carter/O'Neill household. We've already had the story arc dedicated to this emotional journey she made. My request is only that they follow through with it.
                      *nods* That was what I wished they'd done - that they'd chosen an arc and stuck with it. I'd have respected TPTB so much more if they'd made a decisive yes/no on it, even if it had led to *no* S/J ship.

But again, this is not limited to the ship issue. They've left Sam hanging IMHO, by dishonoring the emotional journey they set her out on (ship), by removing her other connections to the story and the SG universe (the Tok'ra, her dad, Janet, etc.) and they've taken her command away and given it to their new shiney hero.

They follow through with none of it. No conflict. No reflection. No dealing with anything that would even remotely show her to be the lead character that she is because her character's depth and connections would IMHO prove how shallow the Mitchell character is both in his introduction and his makeup.

They're trying to cram Sam into the background and it just doesn't work. She's not meant to be a background figure.

What I'm asking/begging/pleading TPTB to do is to respect Carter. I want them to honor the emotional journeys/struggles/battles she's been on. Honor her growth from a wet-behind-the-ears Captain to a battleworn Colonel. Value the pain and the past struggles she lived through to get to where she is now. Give credit where credit is due. Focus on her strengths and current issues but send a respectful nod every now and then to what she's endured.

From leadership to ship to geeking to her friendships to Cassie. Don't abandon or lessen who she is and what she went through because you're scared she'll overshadow the new pretty toys.
                      Mmmmm..... dishonor and disrespect. That could be applied to much of the characterization of each of the original team members in S9/10, not just Sam.

And what I bolded in pink in this paragraph - that kind of drama, angst, growth and humor... it can be written, it can be acted, and contrary to their opinion that we need 100% new and shiny toys to keep our interest, it can be shown in a way that won't lose viewers... they may even gain some.

*hopes Brad W is given lots of leeway with the characters in the straight-to-DVD movies*
                      Convention Pix Shore Leave ('06 to '09), AT2, AT3, & AT4 ('06, '08, & '09), and Vancouver ('07)
                      My SG fanfic! ..Click Here.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                        i'll have my camera too, and a digital video camera if all works right (i have this annoying habit of cameras breaking on vacation)

i'll also have a gizmo to download memory cards to cd that i'm gonna use to backup my pics

I"m not very fond of being in front of a camera...that's why my line of work is to be behind them
                        Now Sky... you aren't going to hold your camera out at arm's length and try to take a pic of the proceedings while you're helping mini with the presentation are you?!

*rollseyes* Ah... don't let Sky fool you, she looked great at SL...

(And I know what you mean... I'm usually behind the camera, still or vid, too...)
                        Convention Pix Shore Leave ('06 to '09), AT2, AT3, & AT4 ('06, '08, & '09), and Vancouver ('07)
                        My SG fanfic! ..Click Here.

Comment

Originally posted by golfbooy View Post
                          Well, you all know I take great pride in my role as Mr. Positive, but I think this episode order is either pure speculation or a simple list with no thought put into it.
                          Not that I want to tax your posting finger, gb, but I must ask: Upon what do you base your prognostication?
                          You can just reply 'spoiler bits' if you'd prefer.

Comment

She didn't accept his offer. She refused to give in to his childish badgering or his emotional blackmail. Sam only returned to the SGC because she was needed.

As far as asking to be a team by themselves goes, had Mitchell done as he was ordered and chosen a team from the candidates available instead of devoting his time to pestering people who had moved on of their own free will - at least as far as he was aware, at any rate, I have my doubts regarding Sam's transfer - I do not doubt that Sam, Daniel and Teal'c would have formed their own team but Mitchell's actions left them in a difficult position.

If, after his quest to "get the band back together" they had returned to the SGC but refused to take the still vacant slots on SG-1, they would basically have been saying that they preferred not to work with Mitchell, that they didn't trust him as a potential teammate. I don't see any of them wanting to insult or hurt him like that, especially as their rejection could harm his standing at the SGC, in the eyes of people he would be working with in the future.
                            I was talking about that last scene where he's looking at her with those puppy dog eyes, (begging) and holding out the patch for her to take. Sam should have said sorry Mitchell, but I will be commanding my own team, and walk away
                            sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
                              I was talking about that last scene where he's looking at her with those puppy dog eyes, (begging) and holding out the patch for her to take. Sam should have said sorry Mitchell, but I will be commanding my own team, and walk away
                              I wish she had, but unfortunately it doesn't seem to have occured to Landry to offer her command of her own team and I don't see her asking for it, especially as she wouldn't have known Landry and would have had no way of predicting his reaction - he might have been incredibly ticked off with her for questioning his decisions.

As well as that, as I said before, Mitchell put Sam, Daniel and Teal'c in a very awkward position by refusing to choose his team and by hounding them to join SG-1 under his command. Sam may have felt that she couldn't say no.

Comment

Yeah, that's sort of how I saw it. Not being online at the time, I assumed Sam was never officially transferred back to SG-1, she's only temporarily attached for the Ori emergency. So she is not organizationally under Cam's command (she NEVER takes orders from him, note) and is only on as a sort of tenchical advisor. I suspect she still reports directly to General Landry.

Believe me, in the military, you are never under the direct chain-of-command as someone with the same rank as you. Cam also addresses this himself in Season 10, the fact that
                                Spoiler:
                                he isn't actually in charge of anyone, and Landry pretty much tells him its his own fault for wanting to get the original team members back. Which cracked me up.

Comment

Working...
                                X