Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dipsofjazz View Post
    I wouldn't normally discuss ship here as many of the inner sanctum of this thread are against it, but since you brought it up....
    I can't answer for Sally, but as a die hard shipper my opinion is no, I don't think we are barking up the wrong tree.
    I may be wrong, but I think the original post that started this discussion was talking about Amanda being asked questions about ship at conventions, and mentions the upcoming Gabit and Avalon conventions.
    To me, these questions are asked in the hope of receiving some tiny spoilers in regards to the relationship between Sam and Jack. If someone asks about ship at Gabit, it will be because TPTB have still not resolved this story arc, which is especially frustrating after the events in 'Threads'.
    I can't answer whether Amanda has any control over what is written for her character, but for many years she kept asking for Sam to have a boyfriend that doesn't die, (I won't get into the fallacy behind the 'black widow curse') and we all know how badly that was written.
    Perhaps this is why Amanda is a bit wary of the ship, because of how it could be written.

Hmm, you mean like the spoilers you have received in season 9 and in season 10? The kind where Amanda jokingly states that they are keeping in touch on the phone? Or hints that Sam is 'not exactly' in a relationship? Because from what I have read of the shipper thread and comments I have heard from friends who are shippers, these aren't the kind of hints most want to hear and in many cases these comments only make fans - both those for and against Sam - angry. Shippers get upset because they want more information or more resolution and antis get angry because they don't want any ship at all. So where does that leave Amanda? Completely stuck in the middle, trying to appease both sides of her fanbase. So yeah, I can understand why she is so up and down about the subject, because any answer she gives is going to cause a negative backlash from some part of her fanbase.

Why is everyone so sure that Amanda is so sick of being asked these questions? Has she actually come out and said it? I may have missed an interview, and if I have I'm sorry to have asked this.
    I agree with you that it is not really important whether Amanda is for or against the ship, but I think that shippers think that if she was for it, then she could try to push for it to be resolved.
    She also changes her answers depending on what kind of audience she has, so she's not always totally negative about it.

For your information, since you probably don't go anywhere near the Sam and Jack shipper thread, not all shippers want the 'wedding/baby' scenario.

I know not all shippers want a wedding/baby scenario. I wasn't trying to lump all shippers in the same category. I was speaking directly to Sal, who has openly stated that she wants to see Sam and Jack married.

In fact, there are a great many different opinions on what would make shippers happy. To some, just an acknowledgement that Sam and Jack are happily together would suffice, to others it goes through various degrees up to the wedding idea.

Again, I'm quite aware of the differences of opinions regarding S&J. I have many friends who are shippers and I really don't hold it against them. Those who know me well know my opinions regarding Sam and Jack and I'm sure they could vouch for me that I'm not a hater.

Also, most shippers started to watch the show for the stories, characters, mythology, etc, just like everyone else. The ship is the icing on the cake, adding to the fun of the show. Please don't think that it is only the relationship aspect that keeps them watching (although, after season 9 it may be!).

I have no issues with the ship or fans wanting to see resolution. My issues lie in fans hounding Amanda with ship questions at every turn. I'm sorry, I adore RDA as much as the next gal, but we all know Amanda has stated that Rick is a fantastic kisser, so why do fans have to constantly ask the same bloody question over and over again. The same goes with will Sam and Jack ever get together. I just think people expect way more from Amanda than they should simply because she genuinely tries to make all of fans happy. Because the sad truth is, when it comes to Sam & Jack, there is no way possible she can make everyone happy. Just look at the fans on this thread alone and imagine how disappointed some would be if Sam and Jack actually got together and others if they didn't, and we are a very small percentage of Sam/Amanda fans. We tend to be very tolerant of other people's viewpoints and opinions, including Amanda's, but I have heard many other Sam fans say some really nasty things about Amanda simply because she didn't share their viewpoint regarding Sam & Jack. I'm not sure about you, but I've also gone to several cons where questions about Sam & Jack were asked and you could literally hear the audience groan and while many of those groaning probably hate the idea of Sam & Jack being together, I think many others were just people who were tired of hearing the same questions asked for the umpteenth time.

Could it be for the same reasons that people here keep 'harping on' about the leadership issue? It is important to people, and asking Amanda about it shows that people are still interested in it.

I totally agree and that is one of the heated issues I was talking about in my last post. But then again, Amanda has only been getting questions about the leadership issue for the past 18mos now whereas it's been nearly a decade for S&J.

I know that some shippers are still writing to TPTB about it. The writers may not do anything, but at least they will know we are still out there.

And I believe this is truly what all shippers should be doing. These are the men in control of the storyline and therefore whatever happens between Sam & Jack will depend upon what they want - not Amanda. In my opinion, asking Amanda to fight for a resolution for Sam and Jack is a bit like asking your pizza delivery guy to add spinach and goat cheese to the pizza menu. I mean he can take your suggestions back to the people in charge, but if TPTB says no, there is very little he can do to change things.

I, for one, am tired of always having to defend the ship. If people feel like asking questions about ship, then let them. Do you want all the questions to be censored so it's only the ones you are interested in that get asked?
    Ship questions don't take over a con, just as the ship doesn't take over the show (in my opinion). She'll be asked a couple of ship questions amongst a gazillion other questions, so why is it so hard for you to put up with them?

No, I don't want all the questions censored so that only the ones I'm interested in get asked, but personally it's a bit like the puff and ruffle. After the twentieth time of hearing the question asked, it becomes tiresome because in most cases you know everyone in the audience has heard the story(answer) before and more often than not, it's going to be exactly the same as the last time. I'm sorry if I have put you on edge with my opinion, but I truly wasn't trying to put down all shippers, I was simply stating that I was bothered by some of Sal's comments that she was disappointed in Amanda's recent remarks about Sam & Jack and my feeling is if people would stop asking her these questions then they would have nothing to be disappointed in. Why must Amanda constantly be put on the spot in order to get a glimmer of hope that Sam & Jack might be together? Because in the end, regardless of what her opinion or her answers are, either they will be or they won't.

I aways hate the way magazine interviews ask about the ship, as they always talk about her 'pining' after Jack. Now, I definitely won't start a discussion about that here, so you can all breathe easy, but I hate the way they word the questions to her.

I agree, I especially hate it when interviewers ask her questions regarding Jack or ship as if there is nothing more interesting or important in Sam's life than who she may be romantically involved with. And how many of these reporters have had the nerve to ask RDA this same line of questioning? Very little from what I have seen.

As I've mentioned above, in the future if Amanda is asked about the ship , it will be because shippers are still hoping for our 'happy ending', hopefully in season 10 or in a movie.

[B]Until the writers resolve this, she will continue to be asked about it.

Yes, I'm sure this is true and more than likely she will continue to be cordially evasive and try not to disappoint everyone in the room with her answers.
    Last edited by ForeverSg1; 15 October 2006, 09:20 PM.

Comment

How about a new CAPTION THIS:

My View From The Peanut Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by tsaxlady View Post

What exactly is going on in this picture? And where are these screencaps from? And who's going to be uploading them for the rest of us? ROFL

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
          that is the irritating thing. she seems to be the most stable and least troublesome of all the actors (and no, i'mnot bashing anyone, i'm just saying that while all of them are good, some are just a bit better than others) and it seems that this workability has lead to her being taken for granted.
          if A is known for getting grumpy when her/his scenes run past quitting time and theycomplain, and AT doesn't, then the folks doing the scheduling could start finding themselves making sure that A gets done first and AT gets shoved later and later and later cause you know, she won't complain
          she ends up being taken for granted because she's not the squeaky wheel and instead of doing what they should do, tell A to buck up and stop complaining, they inconvenience AT to accomodate A's issues
          I think this has happened. and i think it continues to happen. I don't think it's maliciously done, just folks taking the easy way out
          Yes I agree and I can see your point but on the other hand...unless you make your voice heard and stand up for yourself and say..."hey...I'm not happy with this"...then no ones gonna think there's a problem. It happens all the time...you have to stand up for what you feel is right and unless you say something nothing will change.
          BTW...I love Amanda...she's just awesome...an amazing person...
          "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
          Hug Your Loved Ones!!
          ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Mitchell: So you are actually giving those two a thumbs up? For Pete's sake, all you've seen is there backsides.

Sam: Oh yea, that's what I'm talking about.
            sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by RepliCartertje View Post
              ***sneaks in***

I just finished my replicarter/jolinar vid...
              it is on the song cold as ice from foreigner...
              http://stargatesg1.com/MediaPlayer.a...ntItemID=57985
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQiS6UO32Ls

***sneaks out***
              That was great Eve...I love RepliCarter...she's truly wicked and AT did a great job portraying her...wish they didn't kill her off so quickly!
              Hug Your Loved Ones!!
              ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
                see, i can't do it. yes, sam kisses jack, but...

the first sam DIES. the second sam is a nerd to the fullest that has no life, and when she finally gets a life, she'll spend the rest of it in some backwards lifestyle and die there. IF she makes it to old age. so yes, she kissed jack, but look at all the other stuff she had to live through too.

that's why this is hard to answer.

sally
                Aye...but in the end she's ok...so no harm done...but that was the first ep I thought about when the question was posed...however...I believe WoO would be a great choice too!
                Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1 View Post
                  What exactly is going on in this picture? And where are these screencaps from? And who's going to be uploading them for the rest of us? ROFL
                  Are they from the production stills on the Season 9 DVDs? They look familiar. If they are from the stills there is an awesome pic from teh Off The Grid series. Amanda, Ben and Chris looking extremely bad ass in their leathers

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark View Post
                    Are they from the production stills on the Season 9 DVDs? They look familiar. If they are from the stills there is an awesome pic from teh Off The Grid series. Amanda, Ben and Chris looking extremely bad ass in their leathers
                    Too much describing, not enough uploading.

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1 View Post

LOL - That is a behind the scene picture from "The Scourge" - I had some Best Buy rewards certificates so S9 was only $3.00 - I figured it was worth that so I could hear the commentary with AT & Martin Wood - I capped some of the photo gallery pictures tonight - I will share more soon

Comment

LOL - That is a behind the scene picture from "The Scourge" - I had some Best Buy rewards certificates so S9 was only $3.00 - I figured it was worth that so I could hear the commentary with AT & Martin Wood - I capped some of the photo gallery pictures tonight - I will share more soon

And in your spare time, could you transcribe the commentary??

Comment

Comment

Thats the one! OMG hand on Gun = Pure Sex

WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Comment

Thats the one! OMG hand on Gun = Pure Sex

WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
                              Yikes.

Take a shower, AD. A nice cold one.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan View Post
                                Yikes.

Take a shower, AD. A nice cold one.
                                but you cannot deny the HOTNESS

Comment

Working...
                                X