Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by yunadax
    Thanks for the warm welcome guys!

No I'm not with the NSW FB, I do alot of work for the NSW Rural Fire Service, my local brigade is fairly active so I spend a lot of time out with the boys on the truck. I'm one of like 2 active women out of 35 men - talk about a boys club!

I take it you guys dont have TimTams over there??? How can anyone not have the chocolately goodness of them?? am shocked! Seriously missing out there you are

Cheers

Jules

Jules
    Welcome to Samanda Jules!!
    Good to have another aussie aboard...I think the aussie fan numbers are growing!!
    Tim Tams are ok...but I prefer Mint Slice or Macademia shortbread myself!!
    "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
    Hug Your Loved Ones!!
    ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
      here's a question

a friend and i were talking.

i've always seen Sam as the baby of the family. mark was older and she was teh youngest

but, to quote my friend, 'sam had older sibling written all over her'

so....whatta ya think? is sam the oldest or youngest? and why
      I reakon Sam's the yougest...just a feeling I got when I watched that ep where she remembers when her mum died...besides...Mark looked older in the ep Seth...which begs the question...why do you think she had 'older sibling written all over her'?
      Hug Your Loved Ones!!
      ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

i don't. i've always seen mark as 3-4 years older than sam. in my version of sam's past, after mom died - man do they need to give her a name for cryin out loud - sam tried to be the mother. but mark and jacob fought. mark, being close to 18 or so, went to college and never came back, leaving sam alone with jacob.

jacob, in response to his wife's death and being a total loss in the family department (i've always viewed it as, mom did run things while jacob was away,but defered to her husband as soon as he came home) tried to run his house in the only way he was confortable with, military like. rules and regs and curfews.

mark rebelled, sam got caught in the middle.

once mark left, i see sam taking refuge in her studies (i've always had this image of her hiding in her room and studying while the two of them argued, and jacob never had an idea how lonely she was cause he was too caught up in his own grief to notice) Sam is also a pro at hiding things and would never admit to him how she really felt

once mark left, all sam had was her studies. and when she excelled, jacob noticed, which would inspire a personality like hers. she joined the miliatry not only because of the shuttle program but because it was familar and comfortable. it had rules she could cling to

and while she may have missed her brother, i think she saw jacob as needing someone while mark was self-sufficient, so she veered towards jacob

it was my friend that said that sam had older sibling written all over her. but i feel, had sam been the oldest, jacob and mark never woulda been allowed to be apart. she'd have forced a peace
        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

it was my friend that said that sam had older sibling written all over her. but i feel, had sam been the oldest, jacob and mark never woulda been allowed to be apart. she'd have forced a peace
          Sorry...didn't mean that to be directed in that way...to suggest that you had said that she seemed older that is...I just wanted to know what it is that suggets that Sam may be older.
          I agree with you that if Sam were older she would have kept the two together.

Night all...have a great day...take care, be safe and be happy!!!
          Hug Your Loved Ones!!
          ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

hey, no offense

i was just answering my own question

sigpic

Comment

nice post sky. i thought she was younger than mark as well, i dont know why. i just thought she was

sig by starlover1990

Comment

i don't. i've always seen mark as 3-4 years older than sam. in my version of sam's past, after mom died - man do they need to give her a name for cryin out loud - sam tried to be the mother. but mark and jacob fought. mark, being close to 18 or so, went to college and never came back, leaving sam alone with jacob.

jacob, in response to his wife's death and being a total loss in the family department (i've always viewed it as, mom did run things while jacob was away,but defered to her husband as soon as he came home) tried to run his house in the only way he was confortable with, military like. rules and regs and curfews.

mark rebelled, sam got caught in the middle.

once mark left, i see sam taking refuge in her studies (i've always had this image of her hiding in her room and studying while the two of them argued, and jacob never had an idea how lonely she was cause he was too caught up in his own grief to notice) Sam is also a pro at hiding things and would never admit to him how she really felt

once mark left, all sam had was her studies. and when she excelled, jacob noticed, which would inspire a personality like hers. she joined the miliatry not only because of the shuttle program but because it was familar and comfortable. it had rules she could cling to

and while she may have missed her brother, i think she saw jacob as needing someone while mark was self-sufficient, so she veered towards jacob

I’ve always seen Mark as older too. I think you’re right about him being three or four years older. I don’t think it’s ever been said how old Sam was when her mother died - I’d have said about fourteen, based on the actress in “Jolinar’s Memories” but she could have been intended to be anywhere between twelve and sixteen or seventeen - but I think that it was definitely at least a few years before she was old enough to leave home.

The scenario I see is very similar to yours. Mark and Sam both resented Jacob for what they saw as his part in their mom’s death but while Mark was old enough to move out and go to college shortly afterwards, and more or less cut off contact with Jacob, Sam was too young to leave home.

I imagine that Jacob would have been working long hours – I’m fairly certain that he was a colonel at that point – and I could see him burying himself in his work even more after his wife died so I think that to a certain extent, Sam would have had to fend for herself.

Before Sam’s mom – you’re right, she does need a name – died, I could see her being the “good” half of a “good cop-bad cop” dynamic. I’m not saying that Jacob was an ogre, but I think that Sam and Mark would have seen him as the strict parent, the one who issued the rules while their mother was the one on their side, somebody who could be counted on to intercede on their behalf if necessary. As well as that, between working long hours and probably frequent absences from home, Jacob mightn’t have known Mark or Sam as well as their mother would have, and vice versa so while Mark and Sam were left with a parent they didn’t really know very well, but who they had been accustomed to thinking of as an authority figure, Jacob could have had a lot of trouble knowing how to deal with his children without his wife at hand to help smooth out any problems.

Where Mark is concerned, I would say that he and Jacob fought almost constantly between his mother’s death and his departure for college and that they had little contact after he left. I would say that he kept in touch with Sam, at least until she joined the Air Force and he would have seen Jacob occasionally whenever he visited Sam, but they either fought or kept their distance, so that they were never able to reconcile and when Sam decided to join up for the Air Force, I think that Mark saw it as a betrayal on her part, that she as choosing to take Jacob’s side and I think that their contact dwindled to the point of non-existence after that.

With Sam, I think that while she resented Jacob at first she came to understand that her mother’s death wasn’t his fault as time passed. Without Mark around, Jacob would have been all the family she had so I think that she definitely sought his approval. She would always have been a genius, and I think that she would always have pushed herself to succeed but after her mother died, I could see her redoubling her efforts, as a way to escape the tensions between Jacob and Mark, to cope with her loneliness and to win Jacob’s approval.

I think that she was very much caught in the middle between Jacob and Mark, that if she wanted to please one she would end up angering the other. Since she would have lived with Jacob, I think that she ended up casting her lot with him. Even if he didn’t show it outwardly, I would say that Jacob was thrilled that Sam was going to follow his footsteps and join the Air Force – though probably less thrilled when she devoted her career to studying deep space radar telemetry – but that Mark was furious and, even if he didn’t all but disown Sam immediately, his attitude to her would have chilled and he would have gradually stopped contact with her.

As far as Sam seeming like an older sibling goes, I think that could be traced back to her having to grow up too fast after her mother’s death, the stress of the conflict between her father and brother and her need to fend for herself in some ways.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by chelle db
                  Sorry...didn't mean that to be directed in that way...to suggest that you had said that she seemed older that is...I just wanted to know what it is that suggets that Sam may be older.
                  I agree with you that if Sam were older she would have kept the two together.
                  Night all...have a great day...take care, be safe and be happy!!!
                  It's funny that both you and Sky see the oldest as keeping the family together. I have found that the youngest is the one to keep the family together (but that could just be from my experience) I see the younger sibling as being the more the responsible one, which Sam definitely is responsible on the show.

Now how does this work for twins
                  sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

i agree, i definitely think she grew uptoo fast.

that may have been something they touched on in grace. sam doesn't play, not in the way we'd think of playing.

that could also be why she's a speed demon. it's a grown up way to have fun

when do you think the last time was that sam....went to a fair/carnival, rode the rides, ate cotton candy and just, well acted like a kid, not an adult?

i think she grew up when she was 14 and her mom died

sigpic

Comment

i think that even being the youngest, that when her mum died she would have grown up quickly and that's why she so responsible. im the eldest, and im the one thats responsible and always thinking about whats right and wrong, and consequences and stuff, while my sister who is two years younger than me, is the opposite i guess, but thats just the way it is with us.

as for sam going to the fair/carnival, i would guess that it would be a long time ago when she did that last, acting like a kid, imho

sig by starlover1990

Comment

It's been really interesting to read the views on whether Sam is the younger or older sibling...

My own character background for Sam is similar to be those already posted (unsurprisingly seeing as we all go off the same clues!). I see her as a child who loved studying and school but who was also a bit of tomboy and wanted to play football with her older brother or climb trees. I've always imagined that she was very close to her mother because her father would be absent a lot of the time being in the military during her childhood. I actually think her mother ended up being both 'mother and dad' a lot of the time because of that and her father was a remote figure.

Like others I see the life-changing moment being when her mother died when she was a teenager and I agree with those suggesting fourteen based on the age of the actress in the flashback. I think she ended up being piggy in the middle with him and Mark who continued to blame their father, and tried to assume the role of 'woman' and 'peacemaker' of the family, hence the mothering streak she exhibits.

I also think that Mark is a few years older so he would have left home within a year or two of her mother's death, and with her father continuing to work, Sam was pretty much left to herself. I do think her brother would have continued to keep in sporadic touch with her but when she joined the air force, his dislike of her life choices meant that she was primarily responsible for keeping any contact. I also think that despite Jacob's pride in her choice that she was also primarily responsible for keeping contact with her father too although he may have tracked her progress without her knowledge.

So another vote for 'younger sibling'. I have to admit in terms of whether the responsible one is the older or younger...it is the other way around in my family. I'm the 'baby' but I've always been more mature and responsible than my older sister.
                        sigpic
                        Women of the Gate LJ Community.
                        My Stargate Fanfiction. My LiveJournal.

Comment

Originally posted by Rachel500
                          It's been really interesting to read the views on whether Sam is the younger or older sibling...

My own character background for Sam is similar to be those already posted (unsurprisingly seeing as we all go off the same clues!).
                          Mine too! I'm also going for Sam being the younger of the two.

My version also includes that as Sam is a genius she has also skipped a few grades here and there and that is an additional reason she matured very quickly.

Originally posted by chelle db
                          Tim Tams are ok...but I prefer Mint Slice or Macademia shortbread myself!!
                          No! No! Tim Tams RULE!!
                          -

Comment

Originally posted by chocdoc
                            I believe that AM also wrote the more Sam-centric episodes in the second half of seaosn 10---Line in the Sand and The Road Not Taken. I wonder how those will go? You've got me worried! Oh well.
                            No, say it isn't so! He wrote The Road Not Taken, too? I didn't see that the writer was attributed to that one, yet. Now I'm seriously bummed.

Of course, Line in the Sand will mostly feature
                            Spoiler:
                            Sam getting hurt because she did something stupid, or her plan went bad and didn't work. And maybe Prior Daniel will save Sam's life after Cam keeps her alive; but in any case, Sam will be the damsel in distress. Bleg. I'm dreading it, and I usually look forward to Sam whumping.
                            AM seems to be incapable of writing Sam as the competent character we saw for 8 years.

My LJ

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia
                              No, say it isn't so! He wrote The Road Not Taken, too? I didn't see that the writer was attributed to that one, yet. Now I'm seriously bummed.

Of course, Line in the Sand will mostly feature
                              Spoiler:
                              Sam getting hurt because she did something stupid, or her plan went bad and didn't work. And maybe Prior Daniel will save Sam's life after Cam keeps her alive; but in any case, Sam will be the damsel in distress. Bleg. I'm dreading it, and I usually look forward to Sam whumping.
                              AM seems to be incapable of writing Sam as the competent character we saw for 8 years.
                              Seriously... I wouldn't wish an AM script on anyone, least of all Atlantis, but I really wish Martin Gero and AM could've traded places for the only Sam-centric episode of the season.

OK, so judging by the production schedule, AT will pretty much be in TRNT, without anyone else, and she won't be in much (if any) of Bad Guys, right?

Let me just (relatively mildly) say that I would like all character-centric episodes to have elements of the team in them.

Spoiler:
                              It would seem that Daniel's ep and even Teal'c's ep will have the team heavily involved, so I hope this is the case for TRNT... If Sam is somewhere, and she's out of contact with the SGC, I hope we gain a bit of the SGC's perspective while she's gone...

And if they were filming TRNT during Bad Guys, won't that mean that there won't be much team in it, besides maybe the beginning and end?

Comment

I just watched A Matter of Time (yes again ) and it just makes me go wow, those were the days! What a great Sam episode! And the team feeling you get in the end when they are trying to pull Jack back from the wormhole you can really see the drama in that episode just from the expressions on their faces.
                                sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Working...
                                X