Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DEM
    Whoa, so in Voyager they'd say "Yes, Captain!"? That sounds really odd to my ears, but I suppose I could get used to it if I heard it often enough.
    As far as I remember, in the first episode a crewmember tried to call.... eep.... Janeway (?) "Ma'am" (or coulda been "Sir") and she didn't like it, so they swapped it to the other, and she said "Just call me Captain" or words to that effect. Let me find the quote.
    Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Jane
      As far as I remember, in the first episode a crewmember tried to call.... eep.... Janeway (?) "Ma'am" (or coulda been "Sir") and she didn't like it, so they swapped it to the other, and she said "Just call me Captain" or words to that effect. Let me find the quote.

Taken from "Caretaker"

JANEWAY: Come in. Gentlemen, welcome aboard Voyager.
      KIM: Thank you, sir.
      JANEWAY: Mr. Kim, at ease before you sprain something. Ensign, despite Starfleet protocol, I don't like being addressed as "sir".
      KIM: I'm sorry, ma'am.
      JANEWAY: Ma'am is acceptable in a crunch, but I prefer "Captain". We're getting ready to leave. Let me show you to the bridge.

Comment

Originally posted by DEM
        Strix, is your question what do we hear in the eps, or what do we think Carter would like in her heart-of-hearts?
        I was actually wondering what we heard in the eps.

Thanks for all the good answers!

My LJ

Comment

A friend of mine from years ago was in the Army. I mistakenly called her ma'am once during the course of the day. Her reply was don't call me ma'am,
          I work for a living. She was a Sgt.

I guess it does depend on what branch your from.

Comment

Taken from "Caretaker"

JANEWAY: Ma'am is acceptable in a crunch, but I prefer "Captain". We're getting ready to leave. Let me show you to the bridge.
            Oh, yeah, I remember that. However, I didn't stay with Voyager very long, so I can't remember how it sounded in practice. When I try to imagine it, it sounds very... odd.

CAPT: Lieutenant, set the gizmo to whizmo!

LT: Yes, Captain!

worse yet:

LT: Captain, yes, Captain!

For the former, I keep wanting to change it to "Yes, my Captain!" heh.

In contrast, I can hear something like, "Yes, Captain, the gizmos have been set to whizmos."

Comment

Originally posted by LaCroix
              A friend of mine from years ago was in the Army. I mistakenly called her ma'am once during the course of the day. Her reply was don't call me ma'am, I work for a living. She was a Sgt.

I guess it does depend on what branch your from.
              Ya know, I'd gotten the impression this is an enlisted person vs. commissioned officer difference, rather than a branch difference. That is, sergeants prefer 'Sgt' no matter what the branch.

Anyone know more about this?

Comment

Originally posted by DEM
                Ya know, I'd gotten the impression this is an enlisted person vs. commissioned officer difference, rather than a branch difference. That is, sergeants prefer 'Sgt' no matter what the branch.

It could be.

Comment

Originally posted by DEM

Mmmm. I dunno. I would still put it on the individual rather than a branch mindset. It's an interesting question though.

Comment

ok I know it isn't the 21th for you but here it is Mandy (especially made for you... so....
                    Spoiler:

sorry mandy I couldn't help myself

Comment

Originally posted by DEM
                      Mmmm. I dunno. I would still put it on the individual rather than a branch mindset. It's an interesting question though.
                      OK, found more info.

from: Spoken and Written Forms of Address for U.S. Government Officials, Military Personnel, Foreign Officials, Nobility, and Religious Officials

For commissioned officers in the U.S. Armed services, the full rank is used as a title only in addressing letters and in formal introductions: one writes to Major General Sarah Miller, U.S. Army, and introduces her as Major General Miller. In greetings the full rank is shortened to General: "Dear General Miller."

For enlisted personnel, a similar principle applies. Sergeants -- whether staff sergeants, gunnery sergeants, or first sergeants -- are greeted simply as "Sergeant"; privates first class are referred to as "Private"; and, in the Navy and Coast Guard, chief petty officers are referred to as "Chief." Other noncommissioned officers are greeted by their ranks, although, informally, lower grades may be referred to generically as "Soldier" or "Sailor."

The universal terms of respect that lower ranks must use when addressing senior officers are "Sir" and "Ma(d)am." These terms are not applied to noncommissioned officers, however; the appropriate affirmative response to a sergeant, for example, is "Yes, Sergeant."
                      So, it's a matter of protocol, not preference.

Comment

Ooooh, interesting! Thanks for looking that up, DEM

Comment

In basic training to the TIs who were sgts it was "ma'am, yes, Ma'am" or "sir, yes, sir". But Basic training is a bit different then real Air Force.

I do remember one Sgt telling me "dont call me sir, I work for a living"... to which I replied "yes ma'am"..... fortunatly no one took themselves as seriously as you see on TV shows.
                          Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Just in case I'm not here on the 21st.

Happy Birthday Mandy

Comment

Originally posted by DEM
                              OK, found more info.

So, it's a matter of protocol, not preference.
                              Thanks, DEM.

My LJ

Comment

Mmmm, actually, I can see Sam as being like Kate Mulgrew's character in Voyager. I think she'd rather be referred to by rank rather than gender. As in "Colonel" (or "Major" or "Captain" depending on season) as opposed to "Sir" or "Ma'am". I would say that Sam has fought too hard to be one of the gang regardless of gender, to be referred to like that. Yes, she may have changed a lot over the years, and I don't think she would mind being referred to as Sir/Ma'am anymore (I think she would have had a hissyfit and a half back in season one) but I still think her preference would be for rank.
                                I agree with you, especially the part in bold. I love that Sam's character has grown and changed over the years. In season one, she felt like she had so much to prove. Now, she's saved the world numerous times-even blown up a sun. She is much more self confident now, so while I think her preference would be rank, I also don't think she'd mind sir or ma'am.

Comment

Working...
                                X