Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hasn't this 'favourite SG1 character' thing been done before.... :dodgy:

Was just listening to the Audio Commentary for Ripple Effect (Joe Mallozzi and Michelle Comens, VFX Supervisor)
    Spoiler:
    and JM pointed out that the 'Yep!' line from Carter, in response to Cam's 'Finally found someone to keep up with you?' was an adlib by Amanda

Comment

Sam should win the best character.
      Director/Editor/Writer

Comment

Finally had time to sit down, collect my thoughts about 200, and write them up. Anyone who is on my LJ FL has seen this before:

Spoiler:
        I really, really loved this episode. I laughed so hard through most of it, was deliciously thankful that I had a DVR so I could rewind scenes over and over again while I was watching it the first time. Then I re-watched almost the whole thing at it's 11:00 PM airing.

The Opening Sequence

Thank God those weren't the real Furlings! After ten years, I really hope they always leave the Furlings a mystery. But if they do reveal them, please don't let them be cute and cuddly!

Loved the rift on "No one does credit sequences anymore", mocking their own foolish lack of proper credits last season.

Loved two of Sam's lines here: "That makes us look stupid." Because how many times have I heard that complaint, especially recently? And "With all those writers, you think they could come up with something better than this." Heh! Echos of me, baby! Echos of me!

The Zombies

Daniel to Mitchell: "And where was the rest of the team while you were killing zombies?" And Mitch's really uncomfortable look. Go Daniel! You tell him!

Crisis over the Unsigned Actor

I loved how Carter had the intelligent idea of how to handle a missing leading man. "You could have the others all refer to him a lot, show telephone calls, things like that." And of course Mitchell comes up with the foolish thing that SG1 actually DID. "You could just not mention it at all."

I loved the Invisible!Jack story-The best SG1 episode that never was. Just like Jack to find the fun and humor in that situation; instead of going all megalomaniacal, take over the worldy ala Kevin Bacon.

Loved Teal'c and Jack's talk in the hallway, and Jack spying on Carter in the shower. Hee. Teal'c "You are very transparent." Go Teal'c!

Mitchell's 200th Trip

I was all set to scoff at this, knowing that there was NO WAY Mitchell'd been on 200 missions since he joined SG1 just over a year ago. Especially given that, in Heroes in season 7, the ostensible reason for Bregman's film was to chronicle the 1000th mission of ALL SG teams. How I loved Teal'c calling Mitchell on my very complaint, and Mitchell admitting he was talking about any time he stepped into the event horizon, there, back, world to world trips within a mission. (I still think 200 is an exaggeration, but it's one I can live with.)

I loved Sam's incredulous "You're keeping count?" And how they teased him about it throughout the episode.

Loved Cam's anxiety to get to the mission, Daniel's comment that he'd been so excited over helping Marty before, and Vala's cheeky "That was before his Zombie idea got shot down." You got it in one, Vala.

Siler

Hee! They admitted he's always getting hurt.

The "Homages" to Other Shows

Wizard of Oz turned out better than I had expected. I still think the original team are much better, metaphorically speaking, as representatives of the Oz characters-but I didn't hate it as much as I had anticipated.

Star Trek was adorable, I wouldn't have minded that scenario to be a little longer. Was that Brad Wright as Scottie? Hee.

Farscape was perfect-any longer would have ruined it. How funny was Marty's reaction "Okay, I admit it, you got me. I've never heard of that one.

The Thunderbirds/Puppets went a little long, I thought. I loved the General Hammond puppet, and how wrong am I that I thought the Jack puppet was kind of hot? But that bit dragged. Loved the end of it though, with the puppets strings being cut, and Walter's "I feel so stupid." Laughed my butt off there.

Teenage SG1

I guess this was commentary on studios thinking the original actors are too old for a movie. (Bah! I say to that.) I understand the joke behind this sequence, but eh. Never was one for stupid teenage dialog.

Discussion of the 1969 Mission

LOL! MAN how I laughed my butt off on that one. Cameron as Jack's hippie love-child. Sam and Daniel's allusions to Cameron getting the positions he'd gotten despite being unqualified, explaining them by saying Jack was taking an interest in his "son". I loved that way of addressing the fan's (very appropriate, imo) concerns that Cameron should NOT be in the position he's in. Loved Cam's reactions.

Blowing up the Mountain

Mitchell: "How can something work perfectly for ten years, then suddenly stop working?"
        Sam: "I don't know."

LOL! The irony! It burns!

Plus-cool to see Cheyenne Mountain actually implode, after all those times of having the self-destruct armed.

Jack

Yay! Jack!
        Vala: "No one will see that coming."
        Daniel: "No, there will be spoilers."
        Sam: "Are you kidding, it will be in the commercial."

LOL!

And have I mentioned Yay Jack?

The Wedding

I wasn't expecting any real 'ship' confirmation from this episode, so I wasn't disappointed in this bit. I thought Sam and Jack looked lovely together. I liked that it was posited as a possible ending for the movie, and was played as being actually discussed among Marty and the team, and no one seemed the least bit surprised or put off by it. Even Marty's quip about annoying the audience didn't bother me, because throughout the episode Marty was played as a bit of an idiot, who was always spouting the plans that DIDN'T work in the real series.

Other Bits I Loved

Teal'c calling Marty on how unrealistic some of his ideas were. Marty's insistence that if they admit it's not realistic, the audience will buy it.

Mitchell's insistence that they shouldn't underestimate the intelligence of their audience. You tell em Mitch! I hope the REAL ptb listen to him!

Teal'c was just FUNNY through the episode. His pitch for Teal'c PI. LOL!

Vala pitching Gilligan's Island. Hee.

Marty's continual reminder that the character of Colonel Danning was based on Jack, not Mitchell.

The Ending

Loved Jack, Sam, Daniel, and Teal'c walking through the puddle together, loved how the 'power walk' sequence was the four of them, with everyone else following behind. Loved that Walter finally got to go through the gate. Based on Atlantis spoilers,
        Spoiler:
        I'm guessing the party Walter and Landry were referring to was for Jack's retirement.

Oh, that wasn't the end you say?

Right. The Wormhole Extreme bit tacked on afterward. One word: B O R I N G.

A mar on an otherwise wonderful episode. God, that dragged. I thought it would NEVER end. I would so have preferred that time to be spent with the real SG1. The time wasted on WE "actors" was one of the reasons I despised Wormhole Extreme as the 100th episode. I want to celebrate 200 eps with the actual actors and characters who made those eps.

And I can so do without PDL's constant use of profanities. Really. Not necessary, and not at all funny Peter. Please, do me a favor: It's been almost two decades since you were young enough to play an adult pretending to be a high school kid. It's time to stop pretending, mkay?
        Last edited by Deejay435; 20 August 2006, 09:34 AM.

Comment

I totally agree with everything you said Deejay435!!! Wish the wizard of oz bit was a bit longer!! Id love to see the outakes on this one!!

I have to say when i saw the original four go towards the gate with walter in tow, it sent shivers down my spine! top stuff
          Its not about whos right or wrong its about the debate!

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
            Hasn't this 'favourite SG1 character' thing been done before.... :dodgy:
            Tournament? Not that I recall.

Comment

I agree with alot of what you said deejay but I liked the end with wormhole xtreeme where the alternate cast talked about stuff that has happend to sg1 (shanks leaving the show, amanda writting an episode and having a baby). The catch phrase was funny too because they never swear. "For crying out loud" was the closest o'neill got!

200 -
              Spoiler:

The Furlings were hillarious
              Director/Editor/Writer

Comment

oh and amanda was excellent in 200 too....

Spoiler:
                Director/Editor/Writer

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
                  As funny as I found the 200th ep, the Sci-Fi Inside 200th special had the funniest bit of the entire night.

Amanda clapping, "The men cheered, the women fainted and the children waved multi-coloured flags!" - HAHAHAHHAHA. That just totally cracked me up
                  Yeah, I agree. I actually enjoyed the special much more than the 200th episode. Maybe it's because it seemed more real and more in line to what I find humorous. I thought everyone was extremely amusing and man Ben Browder's laugh? Priceless. He has an infectious laugh like Amanda that makes me giggle everytime I hear it.

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                    Yeah, I agree. I actually enjoyed the special much more than the 200th episode. Maybe it's because it seemed more real and more in line to what I find humorous. I thought everyone was extremely amusing and man Ben Browder's laugh? Priceless. He has an infectious laugh like Amanda that makes me giggle everytime I hear it.
                    i liked the special more than the ep too (not that that's hard). it was true humor to me, lots of great insight in to the set. the only thing i disliked was the
                    Spoiler:
                    "is walter in the ep?" gag. it was done to death very quickly and you think they could have found a less loved character to do it with. one of my friends actually didn't watch the ep because she thought Walter wouldn't be in it.
                    sigpic
                    "Out of the Abyss" (SJ Angst)....................Best New Author.................."Else Close the Wall Up" (Sam)
                    Hic Comitas Regit. Welcome to Samanda.

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX
                      Who else is voting in the Favourite SG-1 Character Tournament? It's down to the final five now, votes for two characters per round.

It'd be great if Sam won.

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=27731

Sam could use some help-seems to be a lot of people voting against her.

Comment

Originally posted by stewsith
                        catch phrase was funny too because they never swear. "For crying out loud" was the closest o'neill got!
                        Actually Jack said "Son of a B-" and was cut off by something once (don't ask me which episode because I can't remember lol!)

Daniel also called Jack an SOB in the episode with Reece the Replicator Mom!

Sam called Jonas a "Chickens***" for not asking Lt Rush out himself.

So they do swear sometimes!
                        Sam and Jack... Still the best romance on TV in years!

My fanfic http://www.fanfiction.net/~drawntotherhythm

Comment

Originally posted by AmberLM
                          Actually Jack said "Son of a B-" and was cut off by something once (don't ask me which episode because I can't remember lol!)

Daniel also called Jack an SOB in the episode with Reece the Replicator Mom!

Sam called Jonas a "Chickens***" for not asking Lt Rush out himself.

So they do swear sometimes!
                          I think Jack was going to swear in Mobieus before the Goa'uld stun gernade went off.
                          Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

O'Neill actually says: "Its what I do" in an ep. Cant remember the ep thou.
                            Spoiler:
                            Dont think the puppets went on for to long. It was funny. Hammond was killing me lol Thou it was short, the Trek bit was my fave *wink wink* Farscape was just a bit to obscure for me lol

At least they did something different, wish the X had done a really different ep to mark 200. Speaking of X
                            Spoiler:
                            loved the 24 bit. It was like the X bit in Wormeholw X-treme

The only thing I really didnt like was
                            Spoiler:
                            the PDL thing, it just wasnt funny.Swearing doesnt bother me its just the way they did it wasnt funny. Maybe if the swear words had been cover by sounds from the set, like they usually do in SG1.

Comment

Originally posted by Deejay435
                              Spoiler:

Loved the rift on "No one does credit sequences anymore", mocking their own foolish lack of proper credits last season.
                              Spoiler:
                              Actually if they didnt have those they'd have more time for the ep.Well a few more secs. Kinda like a Lost thing LOL

Spoiler:

Teenage SG1

I guess this was commentary on studios thinking the original actors are too old for a movie. (Bah! I say to that.) I understand the joke behind this sequence, but eh. Never was one for stupid teenage dialog.

Spoiler:
                              Forgot about this bit. Didnt like it, it was too exagerated.
                              Finally got to see the Mountain blowing up LOL After so many time of the self-destruct almost reaching zero or being activated

EDIT: Oh loved every bit with Sam in this ep *wink* Watching
                              Spoiler:
                              The puppet (sp) go on and on LOL Priceless
                              Last edited by kes; 20 August 2006, 10:17 AM.

Comment

yikes, ya go off line for a few days and the (gate)world just carries on without ya. what's up with that?

Spoiler:

i'll try to be brief, and that will be much easier than usual for me because i caught my hand in a door earlier in the week so this is a little bit painful for me.

i almost entirely liked this one. i actually gave it a 9 on the GW poll.

the PDL thing didn't bother me at all. of course i'm currently actively participating in a campaign to eliminate taboo words by using them a lot. i swear like a sailor at the best of times, but recently i'm swearing a lot more frequently. what can i say, my associates and i get bored very easily.

also, PDL has lost lots of weight, and he looks fantastic. looks about 10 years younger, and better than i've ever seen him.

the O.C. skit was probably my least favourite. i think my exact reaction was " "

i wasn't completely comfortable with the amanda teasing at the end, and thats probably just me being a tad too sensitive regarding AT and sam lately. thought that the guy who played grell having so little to do was a bit sad, but they did give him a good quote at the end there.

loved invisible jack. liked the puppets one, but did think it dragged a little, but just a little. loved them going through the gate and the strings being cut, and the teal'c puppet at the end.

amanda was fantastic as usual. loved CB again too, and i actually quite enjoyed her wizard of oz suggestion. that'll teach me to complain based on a spoiler. well, alright it won't but i stand corrected on this particular one.

and finally. i would so totally watch teal'c p.i.

and i'm going to leave it at that for now. i have much more that i could say, but i won't. i might actually watch it again and make a proper post on it. maybe.

Comment

Working...
                                X