Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
      i notice her canadian on hello

in forsaken, when she looks into the crashed ship, she goes helllooooooo
      Aw. She had you at "hello."

*giggles at obscure Jerry Maguire reference*

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
        Well her parents are English & she was born in England, so she probably heard a lot of the expressions when she was growing up. In commentaries she sometimes puts on a British accent when she's joking around.
        Yeah I figured that's why she does that. Her 'joking around' Brit accent is an Essex accent if I remember correctly because her mum is from Essex (that's another thing Amanda says that's very British - "mum"!) but she also tried to do a Coronation Street-type (British soap opera) accent at GABIT which came out as a rather native Lancashire expression and it was a pretty good impression IMO (I grew up between Manchester which is in the county of Greater Manchester and Bury which is in the county of Lancashire) - Amanda's pretty good at doing different accents, not all actors can pull it off *coughMichaelShanks'Germanaccentin1969cough*
        Sam and Jack... Still the best romance on TV in years!

My fanfic http://www.fanfiction.net/~drawntotherhythm

Comment

Originally posted by L.A. Doyle
          Oooober, I'm sure your accent isn't that heavy(says the girl from Texas).

I never really noticed much of an accent with Sam or Amanda...of course I've never seen her live, but in interviews she doesn't sound that much different to me.

COTG is on!
          I remember reading how she thought her voice was higher pitched than on the show, but to be honest I didn't hear much of a difference when I met her at Shore Leave. *grins* Now she did do quite a bit of Scottish accents throughout her panels!

As far as things that jump out at me (being born & raised in the DC Metro area...)... Her pronunciation of certain words... like "process" (as in protect, provide etc.) (Until I heard Amanda and 2 other Canadian actors on the show pronounce it the same way, I'd only ever heard it pronounced like prah (as in prodigy, problem, etc.) There's another word too that to me is a dead give away but I can't remember what it was now dang it!
          Convention Pix Shore Leave ('06 to '09), AT2, AT3, & AT4 ('06, '08, & '09), and Vancouver ('07)
          My SG fanfic! ..Click Here.

Comment

Originally posted by AmberLM
            I noticed that her accent appears to be more Canadian in interviews and in person than on Stargate and Amanda uses a lot more "English/British-isms" than Sam, for example, "taking the mickey" "Thor hit my bum!" etc. etc. *mind's gone blank but I've heard her say a lot more English phrases and pronunciations*
            Oh, I remember the "Thor hit me bum" comment. It totally went over my head at the time. I knew what she meant, so I didn't think about it.

I try not to ever make fun of an accent. I spent my JR. year in England being teased about my Arkansas accent only to come home and get teased about my British accent. Go figure! I guess I picked the British accent up on the plane, because my friends in England sure didn't notice it.

It is cool that AT can Americanize her accent for Sam, but I'd love to see her in a movie with her real accent.

Comment

Originally posted by Gate gal
              I try not to ever make fun of an accent. I spent my JR. year in England being teased about my Arkansas accent only to come home and get teased about my British accent. Go figure! I guess I picked the British accent up on the plane, because my friends in England sure didn't notice it.
              Yeah I stick to the same philosophy as you. There was a girl in my school who transferred from Alabama and I worked on a project with her. Whenever she met new people they'd always ask "Are you American/Have you lived in America?" (Duh! It was pretty obvious and they weren't asking as though they meant "Are you American or Canadian?" either!) and then when she told them she was from Alabama they'd invariably say "Oh I loved that movie("Sweet Home Alabama")! Is that what it's like where you live? Do you know everyone in your town?" - *I* was getting annoyed with it by the end of the three months nevermind the poor girl who'd had to put up with it for as long as she'd been in the country! I bet she was cursing Reese Witherspoon's name after a couple of weeks lol I certainly was!

So yeah my point is that I know what it's like to be on the receiving end of having fun poked at your accent and it's not nice. Besides, I've never really met an accent that I absolutely couldn't stand the sound of so I find regional accents and dialects interesting. My favourite accents are, in no particular order, Canadian, Scottish, Republic of Ireland (Northern Irish is quite harsh whereas Eire is more lilty) and Newcastle (Geordie). Mancunian (where I come from - Mancunians tend to drop 'h's from the beginnings of words and 't's from the ends of words) is not one of my favourites I have to admit, it's a little harsh sounding and can be difficult to understand for non-English people. My Dundonian Grandad had a really hard time understanding the Mancunian accent.

Comment

Originally posted by parsifal
                It doesn't have to be my blood, right?

I thought I had found the address to the actual .flv file, but I can't get it to work and don't want to spend more time on it.
                Originally posted by DEM
                Nah, Mandy's should work. .
                What! My blood... but I don't like the sight of blood Well mine that is, others are fine especially if its DEM's
                sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

I noticed that her accent appears to be more Canadian in interviews and in person than on Stargate and Amanda uses a lot more "English/British-isms" than Sam, for example, "taking the mickey" "Thor hit my bum!" etc. etc. *mind's gone blank but I've heard her say a lot more English phrases and pronunciations*
                  Um...I don't get it, that's how you say it Boy I guess I'd be very loved for my accent too...If I had one
                  sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Snarky25
                    I was watching stargate (cog) with a friend today and she said....and I quote "with that new haircut you kinda look like carter" I could have died! so I made her take some pictures of me......I want a second opinion, check out this link http://www.flickr.com/photos/48389709@N00/
                    It is indeed a Sam Carter haircut! Not a bad day when someone compares you to the gorgeous Amanda Tapping, eh? If anything I'd think I'd be more likely be compared to Vala for my long almost black hair lol! (And before anyone asks, no I DON'T wear pigtails! )

Comment

Just a quick note: SCI-FI is airing a special "behind the 200th episode" at 8PM on Friday, in case anyone didn't already know. I saw it on a commerical tonight, otherwise I never would've known.

Sorry if someone posted this already.

Comment

It is indeed a Sam Carter haircut! Not a bad day when someone compares you to the gorgeous Amanda Tapping, eh? If anything I'd think I'd be more likely be compared to Vala for my long almost black hair lol! (And before anyone asks, no I DON'T wear pigtails! )
                        *psssst, Vala/Claudia's hair is DARK BROWN! I should know...mine is the same color and people are always mistaking it for black.
                        sigpic
                        I prefer to be called Sunny, Sun or SK. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzotchka
                          Just a quick note: SCI-FI is airing a special "behind the 200th episode" at 8PM on Friday, in case anyone didn't already know. I saw it on a commerical tonight, otherwise I never would've known.

Sorry if someone posted this already.
                          Thanks for the info, I didn't know about it
                          sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by SunKrux
                            *psssst, Vala/Claudia's hair is DARK BROWN! I should know...mine is the same color and people are always mistaking it for black.
                            Lol, same here! It's most definitely brown but it can look black or red depending on the lighting - I have strange coloured hair (but Amanda said she loved my hair at GABIT so who am I to argue with such a gorgeous woman? )

Comment

Lol, same here! It's most definitely brown but it can look black or red depending on the lighting - I have strange coloured hair (but Amanda said she loved my hair at GABIT so who am I to argue with such a gorgeous woman? )
                              sigpic
                              I prefer to be called Sunny, Sun or SK. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Snarky25
                                I was watching stargate (cog) with a friend today and she said....and I quote "with that new haircut you kinda look like carter" I could have died! so I made her take some pictures of me......I want a second opinion, check out this link http://www.flickr.com/photos/48389709@N00/
                                I had long blonde hair for awhile, and my hubby didn't want me to cut it until I offered to get a Sam Carter cut. Suddenly, he was all for it! I don't think I'll take him with me if I ever meet AT at a convention.

Comment

Working...
                                X